Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Forum Decorum  (Read 384462 times)

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 77
Re: Forum Decorum
« Reply #1550 on: December 22, 2020, 04:38:02 PM »
Neven, I am extremely disappointed you have allowed your Forum to devolve into a conspirational hotbed of hysteria. This was an excellent scientific resource, the busiest thread is now related to the common cold, and anyone who goes against the media's hysteria is evidently put on moderation despite this having nothing to do with the Arctic Sea Ice.

I had not logged in for two weeks, I am logging in now to let you know my disapproval and condemnation of this behavior -- by allowing the hysteria to foment in your forum, you are approving and contributing to the problem, and by proxy are responsible for the worsening mental health of so many on this Forum.

It is time for you to put an end to the COVID thread, the intention of this Forum was nothing remotely close to what that thread has made it become. They are making up "new strains" or whatever blah blah blah because the antisocial nincompoops that now compose a decent chunk of society would rather dwell in their basements permanently than allow the rest of the world to continue functioning. Check Rodius posts, where he has willfully and gleefully embraced giving up all his rights, despite the fact that the lockdowns in OZ have not worked and cases are still circulating undetected as evidenced by the Sydney clusters.

I think the real deplorables have now revealed themselves and Neven has an obligation to shut down the COVID thread, because it has derailed the rest of the Forum as evidenced by the lack of posting in any of the sea ice threads. Or, you can let people stew in hysterical negativity here all day long, although if that was the point in the creation of this Forum, maybe it isn't such a departure from its intention after all?

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 645
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #1551 on: December 23, 2020, 01:14:59 PM »
Neven, I am extremely disappointed you have allowed your Forum to devolve into a conspirational hotbed of hysteria. This was an excellent scientific resource, the busiest thread is now related to the common cold, and anyone who goes against the media's hysteria is evidently put on moderation despite this having nothing to do with the Arctic Sea Ice.

I had not logged in for two weeks, I am logging in now to let you know my disapproval and condemnation of this behavior -- by allowing the hysteria to foment in your forum, you are approving and contributing to the problem, and by proxy are responsible for the worsening mental health of so many on this Forum.

It is time for you to put an end to the COVID thread, the intention of this Forum was nothing remotely close to what that thread has made it become. They are making up "new strains" or whatever blah blah blah because the antisocial nincompoops that now compose a decent chunk of society would rather dwell in their basements permanently than allow the rest of the world to continue functioning. Check Rodius posts, where he has willfully and gleefully embraced giving up all his rights, despite the fact that the lockdowns in OZ have not worked and cases are still circulating undetected as evidenced by the Sydney clusters.

I think the real deplorables have now revealed themselves and Neven has an obligation to shut down the COVID thread, because it has derailed the rest of the Forum as evidenced by the lack of posting in any of the sea ice threads. Or, you can let people stew in hysterical negativity here all day long, although if that was the point in the creation of this Forum, maybe it isn't such a departure from its intention after all?

If it wasnt so serious I would think you were funny.

Making up new strains?
These made up strains are made up through testing of the virus itself and been deemed a new strain.

Lockdowns in Oz not worked?
Well, Melbourne had 700 cases a day and quite a few people dying a few months ago. Lockdowns and masks etc applied and now we have.... wait for it.... no cases.
We can do whatever we want, whenever we want. The only rule is to wear a mask while in indoor spaces in public, like the supermarket.
Adelaide had the start of an outbreak, one week of lockdown, no cases there now.
Sydney has a cluster outbreak, any guesses as to the probable outcome there?
It seems a bit odd that you say Covid goes undetected in Sydney when they have detected it, are doing 30K tests a day and finding a huge 10 cases because of it. Water treatment plants are testing for traces of Covid and don't find any until today, 30km away, so now they are going to test all 140,000 residence in that area to find it.

But the US with its "lets go for the mythical herd immunity" has 3000 people dying a day and worsening. Covid is the biggest killer in the US. But hey, no real lockdown and freedom of movement abounds.

I have no idea how your line of thinking comes up with Covid being equal to the common cold. Sure, coronavirus is also responsibly for the common cold, but... also MERS which kills a whopping 40% of those infected with it.
Serious, you are being critical of a thread that produces research and science that supports the thinking while you produced.... Murdoch media articles lol.

Feel free to log away for another two weeks.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1552 on: December 23, 2020, 02:10:59 PM »
The Covid discussion should be held in the Covid thread. Bnr, feel free never to set foot in that thread again. Problem should be solved. If you feel the ice threads are under-posted, feel free to post relevant material in them.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #1553 on: December 23, 2020, 05:18:35 PM »
Having deleted a few of bbr's recent complaints as they were 'deplorable' too , I let this one through to entertain a few ... Happy Christmas to one and all . b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

sailor

« Reply #1554 on: December 23, 2020, 05:47:52 PM »

What is surprising to me is that a person so often canceled for his comments is so into canceling an entire thread.

Why don’t we stop all this canceling request except for the elements that resort to ad hominems, trolling, and so all the time?

Like what exactly is anybody doing wrong in the COVID-19 thread apart from giving their differing and some more some less informed opinions?

Also, it is preposterous to think that people are stewing in hysteria about the UK and SA new strains because a few posters are posting scary stuff, when 20+ Euro serious governments decide to close borders unison with UK. That is a painful decision with painful consequences that not even the most unconscionable government would take it lightly. So what are you talking about? People are justifiably worried!

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
« Reply #1555 on: December 23, 2020, 08:12:52 PM »
Are conspiracy people the dumbest smart people or the smartest dumb people?

I can't decide.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1556 on: December 23, 2020, 08:17:19 PM »
Having deleted a few of bbr's recent complaints as they were 'deplorable' too , I let this one through to entertain a few ... Happy Christmas to one and all . b.c.
Aw, BC, how kind!  Just what I wanted for Christmas.   :)
As I close many of my work e-mails:
Stay safe and have a life,
Tor
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

WildFit

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 110
  • Likes Given: 79
« Reply #1557 on: December 23, 2020, 09:04:49 PM »
Are conspiracy people the dumbest smart people or the smartest dumb people?

I can't decide.

They are often people who on one side feel/know that something is not quite right and/or doesn't make sense considering the officially promoted goals/reasoning but are not experienced and/or smart enough to avoid trying to proof/name/explain things. Also they are often simple minded and believe that there are just a few specific reasons while in fact things are very complex at the end and very simple at base level.

Greed, envy, hypocrisy, pride, fear, herd instinct and a few other basic animal behaviors jointly with the refusal to see humankind in an animal context rater than in some kind of "chosen ones".

That makes it hard for humans to see themeselves as what they are and nothing more.

Each and every creature that considers itself superior and/or entitled to go against the laws of nature is not only doomed but is suffering from the effects for a long time before extinction will come to "rescue" the reminder.

There is a tiny chance that a species will "come to" in time but until now it did not happen.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #1558 on: December 23, 2020, 09:52:09 PM »
Conspiracy theories may seem irrational – but they fulfill a basic human need

... many irrational beliefs are attempts to protect mental health by responding to the human need for control, understanding and belonging.

Why do people fall for a plot? At the bottom, there is a powerful drive for causal understanding. In a novel situation, people need a causal map to navigate the environment. They may settle for an explanation before they have all the relevant information, because uncertainty is hard to tolerate.

People tend to prefer explanations that make reference to a person's intentions over explanations that present the event as accidental. In particular, they tend to blame a threat on "agents" they may already have reason to distrust.

Seeing the event as planned rather than accidental allows people to maintain a sense of control over a reality that is confusing and unpredictable. If there is someone to blame, we can restore some kind of balance to the universe by seeking to punish the culprits for their evil conduct. Also, we can prevent them from harming us next time.

The conflict with an official version arises from distrust towards institutions such as governments, scientists, the media and medical authorities. This distrust drives the belief in a conspiracy and is central to the identity of groups that people already associate with.

Echo chamber

This typically happens in self-selected social media networks like Facebook groups or Twitter exchanges where those with a different view are blocked. Within these bubbles, theories about COVID-19 become something that defines who the people are and what they stand for.

A study, published in the journal Telematics and Informatics, also found that levels of worry about COVID-19 increased the strength of people's belief in that misinformation.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0736585320302069

Two factors weakened beliefs in false information: having faith in scientists and a preference for "discussion heterogeneity," meaning people liked talking with others who held different views.

https://phys.org/news/2020-12-conspiracy-theories-irrational-fulfill-basic.html
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #1559 on: December 31, 2020, 10:47:21 AM »
I am here to report some worrying news from blumenkraft.
He writes that he is being harassed on reddit by asif members. He has closed accounts multiple times to get rid of the harassing.

My friend blumenkraft is already wrestling with depression since recent brain surgery and the passing away of his beloved cat.
What some asif members are doing to blumenkraft is more than very nasty; it is detrimental to his health.

I don't know which members are doing this but will you pretty please stop with harassing blumenkraft. Please!
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1560 on: December 31, 2020, 01:47:08 PM »
I am sorry to hear about Blum's troubles.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1561 on: December 31, 2020, 04:10:26 PM »
I am here to report some worrying news from blumenkraft.
He writes that he is being harassed on reddit by asif members. He has closed accounts multiple times to get rid of the harassing.

My friend blumenkraft is already wrestling with depression since recent brain surgery and the passing away of his beloved cat.
What some asif members are doing to blumenkraft is more than very nasty; it is detrimental to his health.

I don't know which members are doing this but will you pretty please stop with harassing blumenkraft. Please!
If it keeps on it will be time to name names and give some of it back.

I for one would gladly give the people who are doing it some real shit.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

WildFit

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 110
  • Likes Given: 79
« Reply #1562 on: December 31, 2020, 06:40:57 PM »
That's very worrying to hear that many enough morons of such kind are present here.

I recommend to use a distinct name that makes it harder to find out for the mob to know who's on the other end. I was not always happy with his moderation but any kind of violence, be it physical or mental is unacceptable and it would perhaps be really good to know who is who.

I'm sure @bk is lurking here as well hence "gute Besserung" and stay in control, nobody and nothing is worth it to lose one's peace of mind.

Happy New Year @all

I wish you that “Corona” becomes a beer again in the new year,

that when you meet again you can take a step forward instead of a step back,

that "positive" will again be something exclusively positive,

that "tests" take place again mainly in the education system,

that "isolate" again mainly applies to buildings and power cables,

that you can celebrate Carnival again with a "mask",

and that "Donald" remains a lame "Duck" forever!

;)

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: December 31, 2020, 07:22:04 PM »
What's blum's username on reddit?

I like to see things for myself before I convict anyone.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1564 on: December 31, 2020, 08:30:15 PM »
Is there any way we could find out who? I might want to here, but the thought that it can be done would be scary.
Does blum know they are ASIF members? Anyone can read these posts (which I feel is important, we must get the AGW message out) and could be spoofing us.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: January 01, 2021, 06:15:59 AM »
Good points, TM.

It's one of those internet conundrums - how much do you want to expose yourself online? Especially when it comes to multiple different websites.

doxing (wiki link)

Doxing, or doxxing (from "dox", abbreviation of documents), is the Internet-based practice of researching and publicly broadcasting private or identifying information (especially personally identifying information) about an individual or organization. The methods employed to acquire this information include searching publicly available databases and social media websites (like Facebook), hacking, and social engineering. It is closely related to Internet vigilantism and hacktivism.

Doxing may be carried out for various reasons, including inflicting harm, harassment, online shaming, extortion, coercion, business analysis, risk analytics, aiding law enforcement or vigilante versions of justice.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: January 01, 2021, 09:34:38 AM »
Thank you for your concerns gentle men and gentle ladies.
Below is the text he wrote to me last Sunday. This is all I know. I have never been on reddit.

Dear blumenkraft, I have not asked your permission for quoting this but I presume that you don't have a problem with it.
I have sent you above post of mine and the responses yesterday evening but have not had an email by you, and I think that this is important. I am concerned about your health and what's happening to you now is completely unacceptable. My wish is that some asif members have a better way of finding out who those people might be. If you have more information, please share with me and I'll post it here.

PS: Ah, BTW, i'm getting harassed and bullied on Reddit by ASIF members. Telling me
the ASIF is better off without me, that i'm a commie cunt and stuff like that.  It's
multiple accounts. It could be one person with multiple accounts, but given the
writing style it's at least two people for what i can tell. Happens quite regularly
recently. I always block the account when it happens, but they keep popping up.
Was there any discussion about me recently?
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #1567 on: January 01, 2021, 01:00:25 PM »
I think this is the wrong way to go about it because if the claim is true then it also shows it works.
The only thing that works in the long run is ignoring and deleting. Personally i don´t get why you would care what some random person you don´t know mails to you. It´s just a long winded way to state they disagree which is fine.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1568 on: January 01, 2021, 01:58:24 PM »
kassy, I know that is what a Vulcan would say, but we are not Vulcans. I remember when I first came here and a couple members picked me for a target. I would not know them on the street and they gave me one tittle of what blum has been getting, yet I very nearly left ASIF.

.. from b.c. .. Tom , once again , you were not 'picked' as a target .. your modus operandi was problematic , as was your clearly right-wing politics , making your very presence on the forum suspect . Blumenkraft shone a light and was persuasive in your defence . You have since been 'targeted' by Kassy and put on moderation . All I and others had asked for after your arrival here was moderation on your part .. now it is enforced .

« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 04:22:04 PM by be cause »

greylib

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #1569 on: January 01, 2021, 03:03:37 PM »
While Blumenkraft was here, he seemed to enjoy snarling putdowns of other posters. I've met the type online many times, labelling them Conflict Enablers. He seemed to get upset if he couldn't start a lively, long-running argument, and didn't mind how outnumbered he was in a debate.

I'm surprised at Nanning's revelations about him. Clearly he's changed, and not for the better. Let's hope it's temporary - his ASIF persona may not have been the real person, but it was well-crafted and mostly entertaining. I'm hoping that the persona Nanning reports - depressed, bowed down under the weight of circumstance - is just that: another crafted persona. I hope so, but I fear not. Most people try to show their best side on the net. Happy, intelligent, successful, in control (yes, me too!). For instance, I skimmed the facebook history of a friend's daughter. Five years of happy partying, glorious pictures showing her and all those around her having a great time. Without a mention of her father dying two years ago! If somebody posts what a great time they're having, it's probably not the whole truth. But if somebody says they're depressed, it's likely true.

I hope Blum's medical problems sort themselves out. The depression might be a lockdown effect. I'm in email contact with several people who aren't coping well with isolation. Personally I'm fine with it, but I do try to help and sympathise with people whose world has been devastated. If you're reading this, Blum, email me.

Meanwhile, I'll add a quote from myself, aimed at BBR. It didn't work, and he's now on my ignore list. The sole inhabitant, so far.
There's no point in getting angry or trying to get even. Meanwhile, go outside and check the weather. Smile, and watch the smiles coming back at you.
Step by step, moment by moment
We live through another day.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: January 01, 2021, 04:18:22 PM »
greylib, as many good posts though you've made, this one is not a good one. You've completely missed the human side and are not helping in any way. I'm having thoughts that this particular post could very well be seen as harassment of blumenkraft. Why? Do you have no heart?

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: January 01, 2021, 04:21:50 PM »
kassy, you may not understand this but blumenkraft is a friend of mine. Yes, abstract as all of you are. Still, I will act on my well-developed-but-not-perfect senses and do the right thing. Hell, what is this about kassy? I repeat my question; Do you have a heart?

edit: typo
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 04:30:37 PM by nanning »

greylib

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #1572 on: January 01, 2021, 06:36:48 PM »
greylib, as many good posts though you've made, this one is not a good one. You've completely missed the human side and are not helping in any way. I'm having thoughts that this particular post could very well be seen as harassment of blumenkraft. Why? Do you have no heart?
Nanning, what on earth was your purpose in telling us about Blumenkraft? It can't have been to convince those bullying ASIF members to stop doing it. They can only have been encouraged by your evidence that they were getting through and hurting him. "What fun! We'll do it some more!!!"

You wanted us to post that Blum is a good person, perhaps? I DID! Not that he's perfect - he isn't, and he knows it. Saying so would be a lie, and unless he's further gone into depression than I believe, he'd know the lie and discount the post. I've said that his posts here were lively and entertaining, and that a lot of people here, including myself, miss him.

I'm now thinking that you're trying to build a dependency relationship with Blum, restricting access to yourself alone. If so, that really would diminish him - I've seen it happen in real life many times. In this case, though, you aren't going to succeed. Some depressives need a hug. Some need to be challenged. Blum, you were great once. You can be great again, but you have to fight your way out of the sympathy cloud that Nanning is trying to throw over you.

Accusing myself and others of being heartless is stupid and arrogant. You didn't tell us what you wanted, so we posted from the heart. That you say we don't have. In life, as in science, there are often many routes to a result. Because we've chosen a different path to yours doesn't make us wrong, bad people. And I certainly can't see anything remotely resembling bullying in what's been written.
Step by step, moment by moment
We live through another day.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: January 01, 2021, 09:02:03 PM »
I still don't know blum's username on reddit

I poked around there a fair bit, found a few possibilities. Some of them were nice, some of them not so much, and 2 were real assholes.

I liked having blumenkraft here, FWIW, altho I don't venture outside of the Cryosphere section and the odd thread in this one. (decorum & asif humour are all I've read here in the last year or two)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: January 01, 2021, 11:41:32 PM »
kassy, I know that is what a Vulcan would say, but we are not Vulcans. I remember when I first came here and a couple members picked me for a target. I would not know them on the street and they gave me one tittle of what blum has been getting, yet I very nearly left ASIF.

.. from b.c. .. Tom , once again , you were not 'picked' as a target .. your modus operandi was problematic , as was your clearly right-wing politics , making your very presence on the forum suspect . Blumenkraft shone a light and was persuasive in your defence . You have since been 'targeted' by Kassy and put on moderation . All I and others had asked for after your arrival here was moderation on your part .. now it is enforced .

Ok so the second part is someones PM i guess.

You have been told very early on by Neven not to make random new threads and later you had been told not discuss certain things and you ignore both.

Moderation just needs to be consistent and any targeting i do is among those lines. 
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1575 on: January 02, 2021, 12:23:19 AM »
kassy, you may not understand this but blumenkraft is a friend of mine. Yes, abstract as all of you are. Still, I will act on my well-developed-but-not-perfect senses and do the right thing. Hell, what is this about kassy? I repeat my question; Do you have a heart?

Yes i do but don´t you think that is a lame question?

There are several layers to this.

First of we do not know if the claim is actually true.

Second if this was happening and you want to stop it you have to do what i suggested above because it is the only thing that is going to help.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1576 on: January 02, 2021, 01:44:56 AM »
kassy:
On another thread a couple posters were debating whether technology solves more problems than it causes and someone suggested there should be a thread dedicated to the question, so I tried starting  it.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1577 on: January 02, 2021, 01:57:46 AM »
Was blumenkraft banned or did the poster leave the forum of their own will ?

If the former, perhaps an email from blumenkraft detailing evidence that the people harassing him are members of this forum might be useful.   

If the latter, perhaps blumenkraft could rejoin this forum and present his case ? 

But discussing second hand accusations about events on another web site seems unfruitful.

sidd

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1578 on: January 02, 2021, 03:04:44 AM »
B_ left on his own accord. 
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2163
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #1579 on: January 06, 2021, 01:15:23 AM »
ASIF info centre Jan6

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1580 on: January 06, 2021, 02:20:53 AM »
Another case of COVID restrictions being flouted ? :)
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1581 on: January 06, 2021, 10:22:21 AM »
Yeah i did some mass moving and that messes up the new posts display.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1582 on: January 06, 2021, 10:28:59 AM »
Posts in the new thread should be barred from the recent posts display, as were other popular/controversial threads. Can that be done only by Neven?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1583 on: January 06, 2021, 10:42:42 AM »
Yes that is an admin thing.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1584 on: January 07, 2021, 09:09:28 AM »
oren, blumenkraft wants you to know that he appreciates it and wishes you a great and happy 2021.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1585 on: January 08, 2021, 10:17:51 AM »
Thank you nanning, same to him. And to you. And to all...

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1586 on: January 08, 2021, 12:11:13 PM »
1 Off-topic / The politics / Re: The Alt Rightby Tom_Mazanec on: January 07, 2021, 01:16:09 PM
I do not "support" Trump. I voted for him because I do not "support" the most extreme violence in the United States today...the murder of thousands of babies a week by abortion. Yes, due to this website's extreme Left Wing bias and censorship I know you will not post this, b.c. but this comment is for you.

(No subject)
« Sent to: be cause on: January 07, 2021, 02:19:46 PM »ReplyQuoteDelete
be cause, on at least two counts you have shown yourself to be unqualified to be a moderator.
In the first place, you are unable to moderate in a timely fashion. If Joe Shmoe makes a statement on one of your threads and I reply to it, a couple days might even pass before it is posted. In that time a new page may be started, and people checking up on new posts to the thread may not see my reply. This is not fair to people who are following the thread, it is not fair to me and, in particular, is not fair to Joe Shmoe.
In the second place, you not only allowed but added to libel against me. I do not support violence, in particular America's greatest violence, abortion. This is unacceptable on a public forum from a moderator.
Report To Admin
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRIC

Tom , you are on moderation . You cannot demand that I slavishly respond to your posts by rapid approval . Your moderation is not meant as a punishment for moderators . It was meant as a means to encourage you to change your ways . Posts that add nothing but inconvenience are being deleted .
 With regard to posts referencing abortion ; it is Neven and my fellow mods that feel there is no place for this discussion on this forum . As you have seen they act when I have allowed you a voice .

Re: Trump
« Sent to: be cause on: January 06, 2021, 06:26:49 PM »ReplyQuoteDelete
Actually Catholics are Christian.
bc, suppose that you lived in Weimar Republic and the candidate running against Hitler was a crook who believed AGW was a British Hoax. You would vote for that candidate (I hope) because 6 million Jewish lives were in danger.
Abortion in America has already taken the lives of about ten Shoahs.

Tom , I once asked in a bible study meeting that raised the holocaust .. 'Is not the greatest moment in the life of a Jew the moment they meet their maker ?'  'Of course' came the reply . 'Then why do they not celebrate the fact that Hitler helped 6 million meet their maker earlier than they could otherwise have hoped ?'  Years later my aunt still laughs every time she remembers the moment . b.c.

p.s. .. you could think similarly re abortions .

bbr2315

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 73
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #1587 on: January 08, 2021, 04:09:09 PM »

Tom , I once asked in a bible study meeting that raised the holocaust .. 'Is not the greatest moment in the life of a Jew the moment they meet their maker ?'  'Of course' came the reply . 'Then why do they not celebrate the fact that Hitler helped 6 million meet their maker earlier than they could otherwise have hoped ?'  Years later my aunt still laughs every time she remembers the moment . b.c.

Wow, jokes about the holocaust, and from a moderator, no less.... Neven, your little death cult is certainly qualified for their positions.

It is unsurprising oren is praised by psychotic posters no longer present, it is also unsurprising "be cause" makes jokes about the Holocaust. You have chosen the worst possible moderators and that is why the "recent posts" are now filled with COVID BS instead of ASIF discourse (until they "fixed" that error too).

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1588 on: January 08, 2021, 06:37:44 PM »
Personally I think all politics should be off the ASIF, and it should be science only. But you allow politics. Then you have to allow abortion. Having a politics subforum without abortion is like having a political debate club in 1859 without slavery.
Neven wants to be able to just touch certain parts of this tar baby. It doesn't work that way. And I did not bring "pro-life" into the Trump thread. wili did (« Reply #6219 on: December 11, 2020, 05:13:32). You should have come down on him, then. What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.
PS: I give you credit for posting my remarks.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 06:49:09 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1589 on: January 08, 2021, 08:56:39 PM »
That is BS because GW always comes back to that if you discuss what we should do about it. That does not mean that all political discussions are interesting or that we should focus on some personal obsessions.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1590 on: January 09, 2021, 10:02:43 PM »
Yep kassy, if you want to talk solutions to global warming you can't avoid politics.

But some political issues have no impact on GW, so those are perhaps best left out.

The website owner(s) get to make the rules, at any rate. Like 'em or lump 'em. There's tons of other places around teh interwebz to bicker over these things.

Personally, I like how things are done here, better than most, and I'm extremely grateful for the "walled garden" that is the Cryosphere sub-section.

John Palmer.

« Reply #1591 on: January 13, 2021, 02:31:16 PM »
What about straw man arguments? And wild-ass guesses?

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,3376.msg297808.html#msg297808
Quote from: John Palmer.
Quote from: Rodius
Quote from: John Palmer.
... I agree, but one scenario demands several years of natural virus evolution (accelerated by overpopulation by a factor 10?
Do you have anything to support that claim?
No, I don't. It is a wild ass guess. ...

Why do you drag this here? Just to add some gratuitous discrediting to me? I did not engage with you not even once, and certainly you had not engaged with me before. So your first interaction is to just throw one more stone, Vox_mundi?

I am, genuinely, flipping out about the normal behavior around here. And it's like a herd behavior, I mean, this person vox_mundi is just gratuitously throwing some shit at me, just like that. Herd behavior.

For the record, it was me who admitted it was a wild ass guess. And I don't even know which straw man argument he is referring to.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: January 13, 2021, 03:12:56 PM »
John , get over yourself , and if you don't like it here , get out . b.c.

sailor

« Reply #1593 on: January 13, 2021, 05:17:06 PM »
be cause I think that's a bit harsh and plays well along John's main complaints about the Forum

But John (if your name is John...), I think be cause is basically right. Get used to it or limit yourself to lurking around.

When entering in politics thread especially (and COVID-19 has a big deal of politics) you're indeed going to find that each individual belongs to one of small number of clashing tribes, and things can get messy very quickly because they react as tribes react.

Vox mundi is a liberal anti-Trump but not particularly left either. Not Bernie Sanders is what I mean. A Biden guy probably. He contributes a lot (mostly posting mainstream stuff though) so I am thankful for that, but he reacts very poorly sometimes toward whoever is not part of his tribe, like so many here.

Another thing is do not clash with posters that work a lot for the community. They are appreciated by the community and you're not gonna make friends. Vox mundi is one of them. So for what I said I got some enemies already :) Thicken your skin.

Advice: avoid TeaPotty, he's the worst long-standing troll of this forum. Hopefully, he only gets out of his cave once every three years or so.

I am mostly a friendly poster, and I really don't have doubt about the lack of ingenuity and friendliness of most of the Forum members. Get used to this Forum's Decorum or lack thereof indeed!

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: January 13, 2021, 05:58:40 PM »
I suggest just avoiding wild ass guesses and looking up reasonable ones for whatever it is about.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: January 13, 2021, 06:14:22 PM »
John Palmer, yes, you got some not nice replies, which I was sorry to read. However, you might not be aware that your posting style contributes to this, by being somewhat antagonistic. There is a way to soften arguments and a way to enhance them. It takes two to tango, refuse to tango and the unpleasantness will normally die down.

No, do not leave, just soften the sharp edges and you are very welcome to stay.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: January 13, 2021, 06:23:02 PM »
I would really avoid entering the politics threads altoghether.

Why would europeans use being a ´bernie guy´as a criterium? You should probably follow your own advice since you are looking through a very political lense.

John Palmer.

« Reply #1597 on: January 13, 2021, 06:29:29 PM »

When entering in politics thread especially (and COVID-19 has a big deal of politics) you're indeed going to find that each individual belongs to one of small number of clashing tribes, and things can get messy very quickly because they react as tribes react.

Vox mundi is a liberal anti-Trump but not particularly left either. Not Bernie Sanders is what I mean. A Biden guy probably. He contributes a lot (mostly posting mainstream stuff though) so I am thankful for that, but he reacts very poorly sometimes toward whoever is not part of his tribe, like so many here.

Thank you. The feeling I get is slightly different, like very "reactionary" responses. I would expect different from a climate-concerned site. This question is going to sound inappropriate, but what is the average age of the contributors here? Because it's feels like a very old conservative organism that wants to expel an extraneous young element completely misaligned from the main body. That is the classical "reactionary" response from status-quo loving elements. The young climate-concerned activist has nothing to do with the philosophy that this distilles. And I am young at least in mind and soul.

Anyway, I digress. Yes be-cause response is a very good example of the kind of harsh, personal, absolutely closed to debate, response. Is he a moderator? Gosh....

John , get over yourself , and if you don't like it here , get out . b.c.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: January 13, 2021, 07:20:28 PM »
Hi John , I am an ex Green Party spokesman somewhere to the left of Bernie politically , active in caring @ our planet for a lifetime and a long term cannabis campaigner . I volunteered this role (mod) as a balance to blumenkraft . Sadly he is gone so I am dealing with this sector . You had already been flagged in my message box as a troll , but you were not being disruptive in my sector . The antics of some posters that led to the loss of a number of good posters last year has left me intolerant of disruption .. 
  I find Sailor's post rather hilarious .. I am part of no tribe on this forum or in life . Ask just @ anyone else ! He does say he thinks I am basically right at the same time as calling me a bad moderator . I just don't have time to pussyfoot around these days .
   If anyone is desperate to take my place , give me a pm ! b.c.  :D

sailor

« Reply #1599 on: January 13, 2021, 07:36:11 PM »
I would really avoid entering the politics threads altoghether.

Why would europeans use being a ´bernie guy´as a criterium? You should probably follow your own advice since you are looking through a very political lense.

Cause "bernie guy" is a very particular type of socialism non-existent in Europe.