Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Navy mil actic sea ice  (Read 6894 times)

12Patrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Navy mil actic sea ice
« on: July 31, 2016, 02:31:48 AM »

Okono

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 436
Re: Navy mil actic sea ice
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2016, 03:29:14 AM »
Yes, they're not hosting it over unencrypted web access at that location.  Whether it's available at any other unencrypted location, I don't know, but it's available at the same location with the https(encrypted) scheme.

https://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hycomARC/navo/arcticictn_nowcast_anim30d.gif

It's ultimately up to you and your computer to decide whether the credentials they present are good enough.  Some browsers and online tools are apparently rejecting the credentials presented for encryption, but others are fine with them.

They're misconfigured or they decided that unencrypted data access is not worth the [regulatory and compliance] headache and they selected credentials appropriate for their main target audience: .mil.  Either way, it's like asking Johnny Canuck to check an American passport in Manitoba.  Looks authentic, but you'd never know for sure, even if your machine beeped yes.

To you, it is at a minimum as trustworthy as hosting it unencrypted was.  If you were comfortable clicking the first link, you should be comfortable clicking the second link and overriding the warning.  Your browser is telling you that you're on your own in either case.

longwalks1

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2016, 05:24:10 AM »
Johnny Canuck from Winterpeg Manisnowba got in on the https://www7320.nrlssc.navy.mil/hycomARC/navo/arcticictn_nowcast_anim30d.gif

Note, happen to be running via vpn and Chicago Chromium ymmv

Also in via Firefox  and a straight up MTS connection  no vpn.  krtxbh

Okono

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 06:21:09 AM »
Also in via Firefox  and a straight up MTS connection  no vpn.  krtxbh

That takes me right back to the Capri on Pembina.  I miss the Arboretum at Assiniboine, but canker worms can eat themselves.  I'll say no more.

Nerds only: Firefox 47.0.1 OSX 10.11 fails validation; Chrome 51 works; Safari 9.1.2 same OS succeeds; openssl s_client fails.  Safari is famous for requiring intermediate certificates to be presented in the handshake.  I didn't bother doing any comparisons or root store checks.

PKIX puts the "kicks" in PKI.  I've never had to implement it myself, but I've consoled people who have.

12Patrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2016, 06:34:01 PM »
Where is the link that has salinity, thickness,temp. and drift?

Kethern

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 07:37:40 PM »
I was just looking at the snapshot archives and there it looks like the last model run was on July 29th so there is probably a bigger problem going on than just access.

Okono

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016, 07:05:11 AM »
I was just looking at the snapshot archives and there it looks like the last model run was on July 29th so there is probably a bigger problem going on than just access.

I can confirm that from public addresses.  It's officially out of my discipline as soon as it lands in the application.  :P

(nerds only again): My bet would be a caching layer that is enabled only for secured connections and a busted host behind it, but I really don't know.  It has to be something spectacular for openssl s_client to fail and curl to succeed.  I couldn't cite another instance of that off the top of my head.

12Patrick

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 08:18:12 PM by 12Patrick »