Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The nothernmost outlet glacier / Gertrud Rask Land / Nothern Greenland  (Read 8479 times)

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 421
  • Likes Given: 4
Only for Connoisseurs of Glaciers

After years spent in the prison of curiosity, I realized Landsat 8 started to transmit from the extreme  north of Greenland, on July 17 2016 after more than 3 years (May 17 2013)  Landsat was back where I wanted them to be, and with the great assistance from our “room mate” Wipneus, this came out:
The area I find most interesting up there is a place called Gertrud Rask Land , named after the wife of the Norwegian missionary to Greenland Hans Egede. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gertrud_Rask)
Gertrud Rask Land is a relatively small “Land” in Greenland termilogy, its nothern part is only 3 seconds south of Kap Morris Jesup (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Morris_Jesup)  and only some 30 – 40 km away to the West of Kap Morris Jesup. But despite its small area Gertrud Rask Land contains a large amount of glaciers 15 – 20 depending of how you count.
But more interesting is the fact that Gertrud Rask land contains 3-5  of the most northerly glaciers in the world still depending how you count.
The glacier I have found most interesting of these 5 , is ASIF 83°36 N (named after its northern position at terminus and in honour of the Arctic Sea Ice Forum), since no one else bothered to name  it I think it is appropriate we do, nor did I find anything written about this glacier?

ASIF 83°36 N is an outlet glacier, and in the image below you can see some of her calves, from the bottom of its feed there is about 8.5 km to the terminus and its width at terminus is about 3,2 km, so  not realy a giant glacier the problem with all glaciers in Gertrud Rask Land including ASIF 83°36 N is feed, there seems to be too little precipipation in most parts of the extreme north of Greenland, so most of these glaciers will probably “dry out” unless something else happen, maybe warmer weather will help for a while, who knows?

ASIF 83°36 N is marked with a red star * on the image!

Please click on the large image to enlarge!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:00:51 PM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Dundee

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The nothern most outlet glacier / Gertrud Rask Land / Nothern Greenland
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 12:34:48 AM »
It is a Good World when talent and hard work earns you the right to name a glacier, especially a photogenic one.

I'm going to stick my neck out and wager that if we could find 30 years of early August imagery of ASIF 83.36 N and its two mates to the west, not many of those years would have the three glaciers terminating into open water.

I'm still trying to decide if it is important or just a fluke, but the ice from the Nares Strait and across north of Greenland does not seem to be its normal self. Wikipedia claims flow is almost always to the south through the Nares, but recent ice concentration reported north of the Nares looks much like the Bering after it opens.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 12:43:26 AM »
It is a Good World when talent and hard work earns you the right to name a glacier, especially a photogenic one.

I'm going to stick my neck out and wager that if we could find 30 years of early August imagery of ASIF 83.36 N and its two mates to the west, not many of those years would have the three glaciers terminating into open water.

I'm still trying to decide if it is important or just a fluke, but the ice from the Nares Strait and across north of Greenland does not seem to be its normal self. Wikipedia claims flow is almost always to the south through the Nares, but recent ice concentration reported north of the Nares looks much like the Bering after it opens.

Thank you, I really appreciate your comment :-[
Have a ice day!

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 05:08:56 AM »
Beautiful. Thanks Espen.

Alistair

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 08:18:11 AM »
Is it a trick of the image or are these glaciers all quite dark?  They appear to be covered in soot/algae/? which if that is the case they will be absorbing significant amounts of heat.

It will be interesting to watch their progress/disintegration over the next few years.  I am assuming you will be keeping a close eye on them from here on in Espen?

Tealight

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • CryosphereComputing
  • Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: The nothernmost outlet glacier / Gertrud Rask Land / Nothern Greenland
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 08:56:23 AM »
Great work Espen!

You probably should change the coordinate name to match the correct location in either decimal or degree system. Right now it is named with degree numbers in decimal notation.

Correct coordinates:
Degree: 83°36
Decimal: 83.60
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 04:30:19 PM by Tealight »

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 11:12:14 AM »
Great work Espen!

You probably should change the coordinate name to match the correct location in either decimal or degree system. Right now it is named with degree numbers in decimal notation.

Correct coordinates:
Degree: 83°36
Decimal: 83.60

Corrected Thanks
Have a ice day!

P-maker

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 72
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 02:11:12 PM »
Espen,

since we are dealing with the tiny corrections, please change the title to: "Northernmost...

Cheers P

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 05:47:50 PM »
Is it a trick of the image or are these glaciers all quite dark?  They appear to be covered in soot/algae/? which if that is the case they will be absorbing significant amounts of heat.

It will be interesting to watch their progress/disintegration over the next few years.  I am assuming you will be keeping a close eye on them from here on in Espen?
From "Introducing debris covered glaciers" (via an internet search):
"When people think of a glacier they most likely picture a spectacular glittering white and blue mass of ice wending its way down a mountain valley, but in many mountain ranges, the lowest reaches of big glaciers are covered by a continuous layer of sand, gravel and rock. These glaciers are known as debris-covered glaciers ..."

"Cold-based debris-covered glaciers..." is a PDF describing a pair of Antarctic debris-covered glaciers.

The rock debris is, basically, from rock falls and avalanches falling onto the glacier from the surrounding slopes.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2016, 06:40:44 PM »
ASIF 83°36 N update: Calving activity July 7 to July 31 2016
Have a ice day!

NotaDenier

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 44
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2019, 05:51:13 PM »
I was going to post this in an earlier thread but I remembered Espen talking about it a few years ago. (I’ve been creeping on the ASIF since ‘12). I’m not sure where to get a better image? Sentinel doesn’t go that far North?

Espen it’s cool that you named glaciers after the ASIF.

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?v=11274.456906999829,-771827.9232985281,182082.23982843026,-626354.6248199308&r=24.7286&p=arctic&t=2019-08-02-T14%3A29%3A52Z&l=Graticule,Reference_Labels(hidden),Reference_Features(hidden),Coastlines,VIIRS_SNPP_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Aqua_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor(hidden),MODIS_Terra_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor