Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Forum Software  (Read 14398 times)

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 87
Re: Forum Software
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2020, 06:59:18 PM »
Out of curiosity, why would anyone bot an amateur scientist arctic forum?
Bunch of small python Arctic Apps:
https://github.com/SimonF92/Arctic

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5258
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2020, 08:35:52 PM »
Not enjoying this "smallification".  :-\
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3943
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2020, 09:18:38 PM »
Yeah, I must say I regret the request... I think thumbnails should be at least 500 pixels to be useful. GIF makers should avoid smaller than the limit. The number of GIF making users is rather small so this should not be a big challenge.
If 500 is still too small maybe we should change back to 700, but let's try 500 first.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1337
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2020, 09:51:24 PM »
OK, set it to 500.

PS I have a confession to make: I am an AI bot.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2175
  • Likes Given: 388
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2020, 10:11:08 PM »
92 frame ascat at 501 pixels is 13MB. Just when I thought I was free.....
at 311 it is 6MB, oh well. Oren can delete it for changing his mind :)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2020, 11:11:36 PM »
I think an "ice animations" thread where Ascat and other heavy MP4 animations could be freely posted would be a good idea. Links could be posted in the melting season thread. It would be a pity to avoid such animations which can be tremendously insightful, just because of the technical bandwidth issue. Data-limited users can avoid such a thread, much as they (probably) avoid the Nullschool thread.

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2020, 11:18:18 PM »
Be careful what you wish for. I'll stick to temporary 'tests' for now

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 962
  • Likes Given: 1262
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2020, 11:41:35 PM »
I really don't understand this data limit discussion all the time. If you play one song on your phone that's already what, 3 or 4 MB? If people have a problem with a 2MB animation once in a while, you better stay off the internet... But that's just my opinion. I think the GIFs are ok to resolve that issue on the melting thread. People with limited data can also change their settings to display only 5 messages per page. That way they can even open the Nullschool thread...

Why become a moderator if you have a data limit?  :-\
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 23, 2020, 12:17:56 AM »
If you had a severe data limit I am sure you would understand this discussion. Some countries and regions have very expensive data rates. Do we want to prevent people from these locations - and/or people with lesser means - and/or people travelling away from home - access to the forum? I think not.

Playing a 3MB song - what may seem a thoughtless action to you (or me), may seem like luxury to others.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 23, 2020, 02:30:51 AM »
I guess I'm spoiled being in Belgium...  :-\
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2020, 10:44:01 AM »
Hmmmm, when i click the GIF in this post i get an "An Error Has Occurred! You are not allowed to access this section" message.

Nevermind, working now. :)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 11:50:40 AM by blumenkraft »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2021, 09:10:33 AM »
Why do i see multiple calls to google when i get a page from this site ? Is it using google analytics or some such ?

Please dont make me put controls on my browser this site as well ...

sidd

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2021, 09:54:58 AM »
Why do i see multiple calls to google when i get a page from this site ? Is it using google analytics or some such ?

Please dont make me put controls on my browser this site as well ...

sidd

It seems to load jquery from a google server ( https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.10.0/jquery.min.js ).
Could probably be fixed by hosting the jquery library locally.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5308
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2021, 10:36:45 PM »
HELP!

I send messages and choose yes to save it in my outbox.

I go to read my messages and can only access my inbox.

How come I have no outbox?

really annoying.

Gero

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2021, 10:45:27 PM »
There is a sent items box.
Click on read messages and then look for the link of sent items on the left.
Try:
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php?action=pm;f=sent

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2021, 10:57:54 PM »
hover over messages and there is a drop down list (for me, firefox)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5308
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2021, 12:15:40 AM »
Mea culpa

Ok, so I missed the obvious.

Thanks to oren and uniquorn for providing the brain neurons that I seem to have mislaid.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

uniquorn

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2021, 01:41:51 AM »
we all need to check what we wrote occasionally ;)  (maybe)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 01:47:33 AM by uniquorn »

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 220
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2022, 04:03:51 AM »
Massive ~2.3k Patch Series Would Improve Linux Build Times 50~80% & Fix "Dependency Hell"

Longtime Linux kernel developer Ingo Molnar posted a massive set of patches today: 2,297 patches that have been in the works since late 2020 and completely rework the Linux kernel's header file hierarchy. The goal of this "fast kernel headers" effort is to speed up kernel build times and also clean=up a lot of things in the proces to address the "dependency hell".

This massive set of patches touches most of the Linux kernel code-base as it reworks the header file handling for the kernel builds. But the end result is faster Linux kernel compilations both for clean builds and incremental builds.

Molnar wrote in the patch cover letter, "As most kernel developers know, there's around ~10,000 main .h headers in the Linux kernel, in the include/ and arch/*/include/ hierarchies. Over the last 30+ years they have grown into a complicated & painful set of cross-dependencies we are affectionately calling 'Dependency Hell'."

According to Ingo's figures, there could be as many as 78% more kernel builds per hour with the "Fast Kernel Headers" enabled kernel than the current stock kernel. A 50~80% improvement in the absolute kernel build performance on supported architectures is possible.

This big patch series decouples much of the high level headers from others, uninlining of unnecessary functions, a decoupling of the type and API headers, automated dependency handling of header files, and a variety of other changes. This massive patch series has been tested so far on x86/x86_64, SPARC, MIPS, and ARM64.

It's a massive patch series and likely the single biggest Linux kernel feature ever by code size. For now though it's being initially sent out as a "request for comments". The kernel build time improvements are very tantalizing, so hopefully this patch series has feet and will manage to work its way into the mainline kernel in the not too distant future after somehow being reviewed.

See the patch cover letter for all the exciting details on Linux Fast Kernel Headers.

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Linux-Fast-Kernel-Headers

castaway

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Biologist Blogger
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2022, 01:08:25 PM »
Hey guys,

I got this strange message from moderator "Neven" with subject "adjusted personal text": "I've removed the personal text under your profile name in comments, because it messes up layout [..]".

My PERSONAL message is my website, that is my message. We do promote our little websites, that is how people get to know about this forum, too, for example.

First: he did not change my personal text, he removed it. Second, it does not messes layout in my browser Firefox which is better than other browsers.

Third, he says that "I also hope you refrain from implying that there isn't a worry in the world [about various themes]". I can accept criticism but because he is a moderator I am suspicious. I don't like it but it seems like I am being attacked because of my opinions and how I see the world (the mod does not seem to agree with my opinions).

Fourth: I just got a new message from him saying I am here just to promote my website and he says he is going to lock my profile and ban me or whatever.

OK, so if you guys are going to ban me, please note I also would like ALL messages and topics I created be removed as well Because in such case I would not want to contribute to this forum any longer and all the glory you guys can profit from my messages would need to go with me. This would be a feature. In case I am banned and my messages are still around, you know you are not being right but whatever.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 01:14:18 PM by castaway »

SimonF92

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2022, 02:14:42 PM »
Hey guys,

I got this strange message from moderator "Neven" with subject "adjusted personal text": "I've removed the personal text under your profile name in comments, because it messes up layout [..]".

My PERSONAL message is my website, that is my message. We do promote our little websites, that is how people get to know about this forum, too, for example.

First: he did not change my personal text, he removed it. Second, it does not messes layout in my browser Firefox which is better than other browsers.

Third, he says that "I also hope you refrain from implying that there isn't a worry in the world [about various themes]". I can accept criticism but because he is a moderator I am suspicious. I don't like it but it seems like I am being attacked because of my opinions and how I see the world (the mod does not seem to agree with my opinions).

Fourth: I just got a new message from him saying I am here just to promote my website and he says he is going to lock my profile and ban me or whatever.

OK, so if you guys are going to ban me, please note I also would like ALL messages and topics I created be removed as well Because in such case I would not want to contribute to this forum any longer and all the glory you guys can profit from my messages would need to go with me. This would be a feature. In case I am banned and my messages are still around, you know you are not being right but whatever.

Did your website have anything to do with Arctic sea ice? If not, then its perfectly acceptable for the founder of this website to decide it isn't a relevant signature?
Bunch of small python Arctic Apps:
https://github.com/SimonF92/Arctic

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 1991
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2022, 04:37:08 PM »
His website was about climate denialism so not a good match.
Since he was adamant on putting his link back in he is gone now.

PS: BC could you move these post to Forum Decorum? Thx!
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2022, 10:57:17 AM »
Can forum software be tinkered with to enable blocking a certain user in a certain thread?
I find there are certain users who have become a major nuisance in a specific thread which does interest me, constantly writing the same material over and over again, and/or touting conspiracies, propaganda and the like, to the point where both argument is wasted and the thread derailed. However, in other threads their contribution is positive and desirable. Unfortunately, I have several examples in mind, and I suspect many have such feelings (maybe I'm the example for this to some).
Note: I'm aware of the possibility to block a user in all threads, and of the possibility of not reading a thread at all, both of which I've never used.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2022, 02:29:38 PM »
I'm not sure that's possible, oren. Maybe there is some SMF package that can add this functionality for members.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 21, 2023, 06:41:59 PM »
I keep getting this message from my malware blocker.

Malware blocked
Site URL :
forum.arctic-sea-ice.net
Malware URL :
www.liveupdt.com
Potentially malicious activity has been blocked. However, you can still safely continue to view this site while using Browser Guard.

WTF happened?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2023, 01:05:45 AM »
Maybe some certificate hasn't been renewed for the ASIF.

Or Browser Guard wants you to upgrade to a paid version.  ;)

Let me know if it persists.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2023, 10:54:02 AM »
Maybe some certificate hasn't been renewed for the ASIF.

Or Browser Guard wants you to upgrade to a paid version.  ;)

Let me know if it persists.
I just had another warning, and I've had that browser app installed for years. First time this is happening...

WTF happened?