Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Top climate-friendly actions  (Read 31118 times)

ASILurker

Re: Top climate-friendly actions
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2019, 01:20:20 PM »

Ranman99

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2019, 02:16:09 PM »
80% of Homo Sapiens Sapiens live on $10 USD a day or less. Ever so simple simple.  ::) Eckhart is worth $70,000,000.00

Don't get me wrong it is a good gig if you can get it. I'm not complaining just sayin'

Namaste!
😎

magnamentis

« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2019, 04:27:42 PM »
80% of Homo Sapiens Sapiens live on $10 USD a day or less. Ever so simple simple.  ::) Eckhart is worth $70,000,000.00

Don't get me wrong it is a good gig if you can get it. I'm not complaining just sayin'

Namaste!

this "just saying" thing is one of the most persisting lie people get away with.

it's absolutely not ok to judge someones motives from his bank account alone, at least not if it's within a certain range that even neven, I and others would see a possible wealth cap.

IMO on the contrary, if someone who does not have to work for a living uses his time and resources to spread important news and positive views is worth much more than just being poor. ;)  this after, despite having the means to live with huge climate-relevant negative footprint, coming to terms in the first place is the bigger achievement than having a smaller footprint due to lack of opportunities.

if anything, much more important than simply look at someone's bank account, would be to look-up how it was earned (carbon footprint-wise and ethic-wise) and if there is an running income from work, what that would be. (same criteria because others are none of everyone's business, ethics includes basically everything)

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #53 on: April 30, 2019, 07:36:03 AM »

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2019, 10:16:52 AM »
one problem with having $70 million in the bank is that the bank then loans multiples of this .. so there could be 70 million being spent clearing rainforests , another 70 mining in Africa , another 70 planting oil palm .. perhaps another 30 multiples of the deposit .. all working against Eckhart's own principles ..
b.c.

ps .. top climate-friendly action .. get your money out of the banking system .. it is only doing harm in their hands ..
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 10:22:36 AM by be cause »
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2019, 10:51:13 AM »
Or support a value based bank. 55 of 'em around the globe now:
http://www.gabv.org/the-community/find-members

A small but growing issue is that cash payments are on decline and some even refuse to take cash nowadays, Ekobanken (the only one here) doesn't provide card payments.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2019, 03:09:00 PM »
Is the issue about card payment the IT and network that is required ? Or is it the problem that it allows consumption at any time ? I don't get the point.

I met on the Friday for Climate protest a guy who made a list of "top friendly actions", a little bit more than 10. I thought I could share it :

https://streethawk734.wixsite.com/grown-ups-for-climat/how-to-the-measures

Nothing really new, but a good check list if somebody is looking for one.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2019, 04:39:56 AM »
Is the issue about card payment the IT and network that is required ? Or is it the problem that it allows consumption at any time ? I don't get the point.
<snip>
Mornin', no it's not technical issues, they are looking at offering both swish and cards but they need more customers before they can take the next step. Ekobanken is built by their customers and they don't have a large investor behind them. Large investors often lack the required ethics.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2019, 07:33:51 PM »
I have mentioned how important is deciding where to put your money  ::)(little or not), but he tells better than me about the ecological importance, although there are more, no invest in guns, gambling...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 09:51:52 PM by Aporia_filia »

kiwichick16

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2023, 11:45:19 AM »
this study suggests one action is more important than all others...

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jul/12/want-to-fight-climate-change-have-fewer-children

John_the_Younger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2023, 09:03:51 PM »
It's hard to have "fewer" children than what you've already got, as I'm not interested in "retroactive abortion," as the joke goes.  I was aware of the "Stop at 2" campaign from when I was in junior high school; and we talked about the wisdom of having any kids in this Nuclear Age in my 20's; but the folks I know who intentionally didn't have any kids mostly did it for medical (inheritable conditions) or selfish reasons, not "to save the Earth."

I and my two kids can say, "but for a contraception failure, I wouldn't be here to advocate abstaining from procreating."

kiwichick16

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2023, 10:30:05 AM »
@  JTY.....agree absolutely   .... bit hard to put them back once they are out..... i just wonder how many teenagers realise the impact of their individual decisions

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 645
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2023, 11:34:46 AM »
My son, who is turning 15 next week, is seriously considering having no children. He wants them, but he doesnt want to contribute to the problem by having more people on the planet. His decision has no selfishness in it... I suspect teenagers today are of a similar view on having kids.

My approach to this issue is it is okay to have 1 or 2 kids.... or none, if the global civilisation continues.

If the whole thing collapses in his lifetime and he somehow manages to survive the potentially radical and rapid changes (nuclear war is still the most likely event in my mind), then he will need to have as many kids as possible to keep the species alive.

I want grandkids though... in the end, we are designed to have children even when my brain tells me it is best to not add to the problem by having more of them

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2023, 01:24:34 PM »
I made the choice not to have children over 40 years ago . My brother couldn't and my male cousins didn't so our branch of the family tree dies with us .
  Today I'm harvesting nettle seeds .. delicious , free and zero environmental impact ! A few kilos to help see me through the winter .
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2023, 11:24:07 AM »
deliberately giving nature room has yielded yet another crop of barn owl babes . First heard the fledglings on the move yesterday . Unfortunately they were welcomed by Antoni , a could-have-been hurricane that got lost in the warmth of the N. Atl. @ 40mm fell overnight as the eye passed over .

kiwichick16

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2024, 01:18:43 PM »

kiwichick16

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2024, 09:18:54 AM »

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2024, 10:50:35 AM »