Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Ice affected by the Jet Stream  (Read 3152 times)

mati

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Arctic Ice affected by the Jet Stream
« on: August 29, 2016, 11:39:21 PM »
I check a web site almost daily to observe the current northern jet streams:
http://squall.sfsu.edu/crws/jetstream.html
http://squall.sfsu.edu/gif/jetstream_norhem_00.gif

I have noticed that there is some correlation between extreme jet stream deviations and the weather in the arctic.

As a pure amateur, i wonder if someone has studied this?
thanks

and so it goes

abbottisgone

• Frazil ice
  • "...I'm a rock'n'roll star,...... YES I ARE!!!!!!"
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
Re: Arctic Ice affected by the Jet Stream
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 10:48:37 AM »
Have you got any numbers associated with your observations?
But I left school and grew my hair
They didn't understand
They wanted me to be respected as
A doctor or a lawyer man
But I had other plans..........

mati

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 04:58:43 PM »
this article discuses the impact the changing jet stream has on weather patterns:

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/08062016/greenland-arctic-record-melt-jet-stream-wobbly-global-warming-climate-change

the question is apart from the jet stream bringing warm air into the arctic, is it influencing low level weather patterns as well, and has this effect increased.

in the lower lattitudes the jet stream steers the weather patterns is this true in the arctic as well?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 05:03:45 PM by mati »
and so it goes

D-Penguin

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2020, 01:00:20 AM »
It has always been a surprise to me how little direct reference has been made to this topic in the main discussion threads and the paupacy of comments to this thread. So often commentary, on the condition of the Arctic ice and projections, end with the caveat 'but...it all depends upon the weather'. This begs the question 'what is creating the weather? (in the Arctic).

'What happens in the Arctic does not stay in the Arctic' is an expression often read but the analysis of what is happening inside the Arctic, albeit challenging and of great interest, will always be behind the curve when it comes to 'predictions'. 'What happens outside of the Arctic does not stay outside of the Arctic' is a better starting point to understanding what will happen inside the Arctic. In particular, the status of the Jet Stream and how this affects the weather in the Arctic.

As the Jet stream breaks down over extended periods of time there is nothing to prevent heat flooding into the Arctic region direct from the Tropics. The current 'heat dome' centered over the Pole follows an extended period when the Jet Stream was absent over the Indian sub-continent and Siberia.

IMO it is primarily the Jet Stream that determines the Arctic weather and will shortly lead to the demise of the Arctic sea ice in winter AND summer.

An excellent link to tracking the live and projected status of the Jet Stream can be seen at:-
https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/global-jetstream
NOTE The global view is interactive
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 12:06:44 PM by D-Penguin »
Remember...it's all about the Jet Stream you dummy...just a personal reminder!

D-Penguin

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2020, 01:24:30 AM »
An excellent link to tracking the live and projected status of the Jet Stream can be seen at:-
https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/global-jetstream
NOTE The global view is interactive
[/quote]

Just as a matter of interest compare the Arctic Polar Vortex with the Antarctic Polar Vorex at the above link from 11/07/2020 14:00 through to 21/07/2020 14:00Z

blumenkraft

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2020, 09:49:08 AM »
IMO it is primarily the Jet Stream that determines the Arctic weather and will shortly lead to the demise of the Arctic sea ice in winter AND summer.

I think so too. The science on the topic is insufficient though, which is a huge bummer. :-/

D-Penguin

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2020, 08:15:06 PM »

I think so too. The science on the topic is insufficient though, which is a huge bummer. :-/

You are so right about the lack of science on this topic. I have spent many, many hours trying to source peer reviewed work but with very limited success and what I did find was very 'narrow' in objectives and conclusions.

I do not know how long the records go back for the Arctic Polar Vortex but I am sure that a comparative study , even over recent years, with Arctic weather events would produce insightful results and guidance on the future of ice in the Arctic; with this insight will come more accurate predictions related to 'tipping points' and AGW.

The politicians will still be putting forward the idea that policy must be 'guided by the science' and the scientists will still be refining their 'global models' after the event. All too late was the cry!

IMO Climate Models without reference to the effects of the Arctic Polar Vortex are nothing more than a 'spin of the wheel of fortune' and choosing a random number. Science has played its part but that part has been incomplete without deep reference to the 'Jet Stream'. The Politicians reliance on the IPCC is flawed. We are now beyond the science and require the 'intuitive leap' of the creative thinkers to avoid a cataclysmic outcome; a catastrophic outcome is already built into the system.