Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1486741 times)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #5001 on: September 24, 2018, 07:47:23 AM »
Oddly, i do not think that Trump is really anyone's enemy. The guy is producing a TV show. Whatever gets him publicity is what he will do.

He is going after goofacetwit because it supports his ratings. If he thought defending them would keep the cameras on him, he would.

sidd

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #5002 on: September 24, 2018, 02:00:05 PM »

Quote from SteveMDFP
No, vocal opposition to Trump isn't a distraction.   It's part of getting the public more engaged in politics in general, that's the opposite of distraction.

Yes .... I quite agree.  In fact, in a healthy democracy I believe you have the OBLIGATION to speak up.

History provides examples of what happens when people DON'T speak up.  One only has to look back to what happened to Germany in the 1920's/30's/40's when that famous Austrian continued to push himself and his policies on the German people.  Yes ..... the "nice Germans in the neighborhood" who DIDN'T SPEAK UP were actually ALLOWING Hitler to continue to push his agenda.  That is what happens when the resistance doesn't push back hard enough.

You don't deal with an autocrat or a bully by standing idly by.  You attack him head on ..... and NEVER LET UP.

The reason we find the polls the way they are now (decidedly AGAINST Trump .... and AGAINST Republicans) is BECAUSE of people AND the press speaking up.  Again ..... that is their RESPONSIBILITY.

History is an excellent teacher if we bother to study it.

So the media get a D- for focusing on tweets and utterances, rather than policy.   Still, public outrage over these utterances is nevertheless driving a public awakening to the importance of political matters in general.  Voter registration is up, voting is up, many more good candidates are appearing on ballots.  Protests are more frequent and large.  Change is afoot.

ABSOLUTELY.  In fact .... Rachel Maddow ignores most of the tweets from Trump .... she understands what he is trying to do.

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5003 on: September 24, 2018, 05:12:08 PM »
If Trump fires Rosenstein BEFORE the Kavenaugh confirmation vote in the Senate .... I think there would be a much higher likelihood of getting the needed NO votes to kill the Kavanaugh confirmation.

Pressure causes people to make mistakes.  Is Donnie going to make his next big mistake soon?  Inquiring minds want to know ....🤔

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5004 on: September 25, 2018, 03:58:07 AM »
Bret is now in bigger trouble.  Many months ago I said the Parkland High School survivors were “kids on a mission” and that they would NOT slow down in their fight regarding reasonable gun control.

The same can be said about Michael Avanatti.  He is combination of a pit bull and an alligator, and right now .... he has Bret Kavanaugh within his grasp, and he is ready to close his jaws.

Michael Avanatti is turning out to be Donnie’s worst nightmare.  Don’t make a mistake Donnie ... pressure kills....
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:07:37 PM by Buddy »

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #5005 on: September 25, 2018, 04:19:25 AM »
Inquiring minds want to know ...
Ah, that eliminates almost all re-pubic-lick-uns.

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5006 on: September 25, 2018, 04:39:30 AM »
Michael Avanatti is turning out to be Donnie’s worst nightmare.
"don''T rump", Kavanaugh, & re-pubic-lick-uns' clouds of Avanatti nightmares are interfering with each other on "dream frequencies" that will become clear on election night. 

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5007 on: September 25, 2018, 04:56:12 AM »
.... Rachel Maddow..... understands what he is trying to do.
You mean "don'T rump" is still selling real estate & homes to russian billionaires to white-wash their stolen russian assets, at major inflated prices? Rachel Maddow was reporting, 1.5(?) years ago such white-washed russian illegal gains. Deutshe Bank & others have paid half(+) billion dollars in penalites for white washed russian gains & Robert Mueller has details. That is one reason why "don'T rump" wants to deep six Mueller & his investigations.   
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 05:30:52 AM by litesong »

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #5008 on: September 25, 2018, 08:46:48 AM »

The same can be said about Michael Avanatti.  He is combination of a pit bull and an alligator, and right now .... he has Bret Kavanaugh within his grasp, and he is ready to close his jaws.

and ambulance chaser/used car salesmen all in one.

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5009 on: September 25, 2018, 02:37:55 PM »
For (especially) Buddy.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5010 on: September 25, 2018, 08:08:05 PM »
Donald Trump's Boastful Comments Draw Laughter At United Nations General Assembly ;)

See all that "respect" other world leaders have for the US now?

President Donald Trump claimed his administration is one of the most accomplished in U.S. history during a speech Tuesday at the United Nations General Assembly ― and the audience’s reaction caught him off guard.

After missing his initial time slot at the annual New York City summit of world leaders due to tardiness, Trump kicked off his morning speech by patting himself on the back for what he considers a job well done.

″In less than two years, my administration has accomplished more than almost any administration in the history of our country ... So true,” the president said, eliciting several muffled laughs.

“Didn’t expect that reaction but that’s OK,” Trump responded with a chuckle, prompting the audience of world leaders, their aides and the media to erupt with laughter.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/donald-trump-apos-boastful-comments-154154672.html

It will be interesting to see how long the laughter will go on AT Trump.   There is nothing that someone as thin skinned as Trump detests as being laughed AT.  He will continue to isolate the US from its allies ..... and anyone who doesn't bow down and kiss his ring.

Notice what he said about Panama and its politicians?  Psychologically Trump is an absolute MESS.  Sara Huckabee and Donnie deserve each other.....

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 08:17:10 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: September 25, 2018, 09:39:48 PM »
More winning .......  ;)

U.S. Budget Deficit Swells to $898 Billion, Topping Forecast

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-13/u-s-budget-deficit-swells-to-898-billion-topping-forecast

*  The actual deficit for the first 11 months of the fiscal year is greater than the budget deficit for the entire year.

*  The actual budget deficit is 1/3 higher than the first 11 months of the prior budget year.

All that winning .......  ;)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #5012 on: September 25, 2018, 09:51:31 PM »
Apparently, the Trump Administration is pre-conditioning the public for a coming major attack on Iran:

Title: "John Bolton to warn Iran: "We will come after you""

https://www.axios.com/john-bolton-threatens-iran-ayatollahs-63f7605d-9387-4a2b-ad8a-8a7585df05a2.html

Extract: "Bolton has argued for military intervention in Iran in the past, and warns in this speech: "We are watching, and we will come after you.""
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: September 26, 2018, 03:34:29 PM »
On the Kavanaugh situation:

Watching things develop, BOTH sides are so deeply entrenched in their complete opposite positions including politicians,all media, schools and universities ,friends and family. Haven't seen trenches this bad since WW1. In a few days (or weeks maybe) one of these sides is going to wake up with a terrible hangover and egg on their face. It will definitely effect the midterms big-time . At this point I have no idea what side that will be.  :o

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5014 on: September 26, 2018, 06:40:49 PM »
A third victim of Trump's Supreme Court nominee has come forward:

Supreme Court nominee Kavanaugh says he was ‘not perfect’ in high school, drank beer with friends, but denies sexual assault
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/kavanaugh-nomination-trump-calls-nominee-an-absolute-gem-as-tensions-swirl-over-planned-hearing/2018/09/26/df224aea-c190-11e8-97a5-ab1e46bb3bc7_story.html?utm_term=.16f1d9a99792&wpisrc=nl_most&wpmm=1

A third woman came forward Wednesday to accuse Judge Brett M. Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct, saying he was physically abusive toward girls in high school and present at a house party in 1982 where she says she was the victim of a “gang” rape.

The woman, Julie Swetnick, a Washington resident, is represented by lawyer Michael Avenatti, who revealed her identity on Twitter and posted her photograph.

The Post has not independently verified her allegations regarding President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee.

In a declaration, Julie Swetnick, who attended Gaithersburg High School, said she observed Kavanaugh drinking excessively at house parties and engaging “in abusive and physically aggressive behavior toward girls.”

Swetnick said she witnessed efforts by Kavanaugh and others to get girls inebriated so they could be “gang raped” in side rooms at house parties by a “train” of numerous boys.

“I have a firm recollection of seeing boys lined up outside rooms at many of these parties waiting for their ‘turn’ with a girl inside the room. These boys included Mark Judge and Brett Kavanaugh.”

Judge is a friend of Kavanaugh whom an earlier accuser, Christine Blasey Ford, said was present when she alleges Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her roughly 36 years ago.

In her declaration, Swetnick recounts an alleged incident in approximately 1982 in which she says she was the victim of a “gang rape” at which Kavanaugh was present.

She does not say Kavanaugh participated in the alleged rape or what, if any, role he played, nor does she say where the alleged episode took place.

“During the incident, I was incapacitated without my consent and unable to fight off the boys raping me,” Swetnick says. “I believe I was drugged using Quaaludes or something similar placed in what I was drinking.”

I suspect Trump will not promptly withdraw Kavanaugh, being stubborn.  Kavanaugh may himself decide to withdraw.  I think it's doubtful he'll be recommended by the committee.  If a vote is held in the full Senate (improbable, IMO), he'll likely fail to win a majority.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: September 26, 2018, 09:32:48 PM »
China reduces tariffs on NON US GOODS ......

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-trade-war-china-cuts-tariffs-to-protect-consumers-2018-9

The effect of this is two-fold:

1)  To protect/cushion the Chinese consumer from high tariff goods
2)  It effectively works as an increase in tariffs on any US GOODS that compete with those now "lower tariffed" non US goods.

In other words ..... its a continuation/escalation of the China/US trade war, but it BENEFITS non US countries AND any Chinese consumers that are buying non US goods.

If Donnie thinks he is going to bash the Chinese into coming to the table with him ..... he clearly has no understanding of the Chinese culture.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: September 27, 2018, 06:29:39 AM »
Sounds like she kept showing up at the parties.

I don't imagine that she'd return time after time if she wasn't finding the entertainment enjoyable.
Unlike Christian Conservatives I've known many wonderful women with very healthy sexual appetites, some who much preferred variety to fidelity.

For once I'm in agreement with Feinstein. She's the one questioning Kavanaugh's judicial conduct.
Terry

Pmt111500

« Reply #5017 on: September 27, 2018, 06:36:10 AM »
Could you please get rid of Drumpf, again accidentally saw the idiot on local news. Retching. The man is sick, how don't you see it?

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: September 27, 2018, 07:02:36 AM »
Re:  The man is sick, how don't you see it?

Quite. And he is the symptom of a sick nation.

I think his supporters see that too. The reason they elected him was to drive out one sickness with another. You may argue that they are mistaken, but i do not think that they are blind.

sidd

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #5019 on: September 27, 2018, 12:08:57 PM »
Swetnick said she witnessed efforts by Kavanaugh and others to get girls inebriated so they could be “gang raped” in side rooms at house parties by a “train” of numerous boys.

“I have a firm recollection of seeing boys lined up outside rooms at many of these parties waiting for their ‘turn’ with a girl inside the room. These boys included Mark Judge and Brett Kavanaugh.”

In her declaration, Swetnick recounts an alleged incident in approximately 1982 in which she says she was the victim of a “gang rape” at which Kavanaugh was present.

“During the incident, I was incapacitated without my consent and unable to fight off the boys raping me,” Swetnick says. “I believe I was drugged using Quaaludes or something similar placed in what I was drinking.”

Welcome to American Society:101 - the truth of it. 

Some girls didn't need to be drugged to get into it. Ever been to Spring break in Florida folks?

So let's round them all up and throw them all in jail for 'rape'? Yes let's, but you better raise Taxes to increase FBI funding by 10 fold and build enough jails to take the several millions more residents.

Yes, let's do to the 'good white guys' what has always been happening to the black guys. Lock 'em up for decades.

Truth hurts hey.

WTF man... Sexual assault is sexual assault period!! End of story... Who cares about color, status, wealth etc. Are you an apologist?? Get the hell out of here...classic line " they wanted it..." Moron...

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: September 27, 2018, 04:48:15 PM »

Some girls didn't need to be drugged to get into it. Ever been to Spring break in Florida folks?

The problem with Kavanaugh isn't that he drank and had sex in high school.  The problem is that he's shown himself to be the unrepentant product of rich white male entitled chauvinistic jock frat prep-school bro culture.

My educational trajectory put me into regular contact with this culture and its denizens for 10 - 15 years.  Sounds like a prison sentence.  I was more drawn to the anti-war hippie counter-culture types.  By the time I got to college, this youth culture was rapidly evaporating.  Pity.

The parties we've been reading about, the ones of Kavanaugh's youth, weren't notable for the alcohol and sex, they were notable for targeting women to intoxicate and, since they were then unable to give consent, gang-rape. 

He grew into respectability, but there's no sign he ever had any epiphany about the culture he came from.   We can see this in his paternalistic yet vigorous refusal to let a 17 year-old immigrant obtain medical care and abortion:

Brett Kavanaugh's One Abortion Case
https://www.aclu.org/blog/reproductive-freedom/abortion/brett-kavanaughs-one-abortion-case

This rich white entitled male bro culture is part of why so many Americans (and others around the world) suffer.  The stories that are now dogging Kavanaugh are broadly consistent with each other and with the toxic culture I observed during my educational years.  This is a segment of the entitled culture that refuses to take personal responsibility for our shared global environment.  As it ties in with sexuality and gender relations, we can see it in stories from the new movement unfolding now:

I couldn’t stop reading #WhyIDidntReportIt stories. Then I realized why.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/i-couldnt-stop-reading-whyididntreportit-stories-then-i-realized-why/2018/09/26/6dff450c-c109-11e8-90c9-23f963eea204_story.html?utm_term=.5fc2bd38a1e0

"In the last week, women and men who have experienced sexual abuse at the hands of others have started doing what they haven’t been able to for years and decades: admit something unfair and awful and damaging happened to them.

Just search for #WhyIDidntReportIt, or variations of that hashtag, and their stories will come barreling at you as confessionals, some containing only bits of details and others spilling out in their complete and painful-to-read messiness."

This chauvinistic, ultimately abusive culture is part of the problem.  Kavanaugh is an unrepentant product of it.

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: September 27, 2018, 07:08:05 PM »

Whatever happened to the right of the accused to be deemed innocent until proven guilty? 

That's the standard for sending someone to prison.  Serious questions of character alone should disqualify a person from lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #5022 on: September 27, 2018, 07:17:05 PM »
Thanks, Steve, for your last several posts in this thread.  You have generally stated my sentiments well, and better than I would likely have done.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #5023 on: September 27, 2018, 08:04:46 PM »
I feel sorry for all those Democrats who were going to vote for him (with Chuck Schumer's blessing).     ;D
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: September 28, 2018, 03:58:32 AM »

Whatever happened to the right of the accused to be deemed innocent until proven guilty? 

That's the standard for sending someone to prison.  Serious questions of character alone should disqualify a person from lifetime appointment to the Supreme Court.

So why then are you lording it over me on this issue. 

Nothing of the sort.  This is a public forum, not a two-way discussion.  One person contributes some words, other people respond with whatever may be of interest to the general readership.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5025 on: September 28, 2018, 04:10:56 AM »
Well ..... who would have thought that not only is Kavanaugh not fit to serve on the Supreme Court ...... he’s clearly not fit to serve in ANY COURT.  PERIOD.

WOW.  And then when Kavanaugh asked Senator Klobashar if she had ever drank so much, she didn’t remember the previous night ... and followed it up with a smirk 😏 ... that was pretty gobsmacking.

Probably NOT something I would do in a job interview.  Boy .... I know the Republicans in THIS Congress are pretty shitty people ..... but this is going to be hard to swallow for Collins, Murkowski, Flake, and Manchin (D) to vote Kavanaugh through.

He came across as a smug prick, who didn’t like being questioned.  He looked the same as Lance Armstrong did when he was questioned about using performance enhancing drugs.

Same strategy as Trump has used. Two peas in a pod ...

And why is Kavanaugh so afraid to bring in the FBI?  Again, two peas in a pod.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #5026 on: September 28, 2018, 04:39:58 AM »
"Thanks, Steve, for your last several posts in this thread.  You have generally stated my sentiments well, and better than I would likely have done."

Hear, hear!
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: September 28, 2018, 09:35:19 AM »

And why is Kavanaugh so afraid to bring in the FBI?  Again, two peas in a pod.

1) I doubt he is afraid of an FBI investigation. They have investigated him multiple times already. I'm 100% sure it wasn't his choice to not call for an investigation. Trump and the GOP do not want one. He cannot defy the people that nominated him and call for one. The dems tried to push him on it multiple times and you could see he was tormented- he just could not ask for an investigation.

2) Yes, he did have a few bad moments where he almost lost it. Put yourself in his seat-I think he did pretty well considering although I cringed a few times .

3) The most the dems got out pf this is that he drank beer- maybe sometimes too much. They almost completely gave up on proving sexual misconduct.

4) Nothing has changed - both sides are still in their perspective trenches. Nobody I could see including the media,family,friends and social media- has changed their minds.

edit: 

5) What will this process look like in the future? Will a person have to explain and defend their 1,340,439 tweets and FB messages from when they were 14 to 50? Who would want to go through that process?  Do we need a recording system to record our whole life as evidence (black mirror style)?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 09:40:38 AM by mostly_lurking »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: September 28, 2018, 10:22:08 AM »
In Russia or here? How about here this time

India ignores US threat of sanctions as it greenlights S-400 contract with Russia – reports
India has approved a $5.43 billion deal to purchase S-400 Triumf anti-aircraft missile systems from Russia, despite US threats of sanctions against New Delhi, local media reported, citing government sources.
Sep 27, 2018
Wow - Defensive weapons designed to actually defend one's airspace.
How Dare They!
Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: September 28, 2018, 02:30:45 PM »
The contest for control of the US Senate in the November election will NOT go away.  The Republicans SHOULD have wrapped up control LONG AGO.  In sports, you NEVER want to give a “long shot” opponent a chance.  If you don’t put him away .... they just keep hanging around and ANYTHING can happen in the last couple minutes of a close game.

Five thirty eight.com gives the Democrat’s a 32% chance of winning control of the Senate.  And they have ..... as of now ..... 3 tossup states:  Tennessee, Nevada, and North Dakota.  Note ... they have Florida, Arizona, and Missouri as “lean Democrat” with West Virginia and Indiana being “likely Democrat”.  This also assumes the Republican’s win Texas ... which continues to be “in play” ... so if Beto were able to win Texas, that would open up another route for the Democrat’s to win (the Dem’s
could then lose 2 seats like North Dakota and Florida and still win the senate).

If the above were to hold .... the Democrats would need to take 2 out of the 3 tossup states to win control of the Senate.  Remember, the Democrats need 51 senators for control, and the Republican’s need only 50 (as long as a Republican is in the Oval Office ... which is not assured next year if the Mueller investigation is allowed to finish).  I won’t go into what COULD happen, but it could get pretty hairy.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: September 28, 2018, 04:28:51 PM »
Flake confirms he'll vote for Kavanaugh so the confirmation vote will almost certainly take place.
In the full Senate a party line vote gives Kavanaugh the nod, but I'd expect at least a few Dems to jump on board, especially ones whose seat isn't up for grabs.

Trial by TV may not be the best method of determining the truth.
Terry

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5306
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #5031 on: September 28, 2018, 06:38:35 PM »
Jeff Flake - another Man of Principle with feet of clay all the way up to his armpits.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: September 28, 2018, 09:33:42 PM »
Jeff Flake - another Man of Principle with feet of clay all the way up to his armpits.
But, Flake had enough clay strength NOT to flake under the barrage of raw voicings of anti-Kavanaugh women in the halls of Congress. Tho they are men, re-pubic-lick-uns have high pitched screechings louder than anti-Kavanaugh women, as centered around Lindsey Graham's elevated two octave higher blarings & finger pointings.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: September 28, 2018, 11:55:51 PM »
I have remarked before that climate denialism seems to progress thru four flavours:

1)It's not happening.
2)It's not  us.
3)It's not bad.
4)It's too late.

The Trump admin seems to be at 4) . It projects that the world will be 7F warmer by 2100, that impact of increased car efficiency will be infinitesimal and very expensive, therefore nothing ought be done.

Draft report at

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.dot.gov/files/documents/ld_cafe_my2021-26_deis_0.pdf

commentary at

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/national/health-science/trump-administration-sees-a-7-degree-rise-in-global-temperatures-by-2100/2018/09/27/b9c6fada-bb45-11e8-bdc0-90f81cc58c5d_story.html

sidd

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: September 29, 2018, 05:38:10 AM »
THAT didn’t take long.  FBI is already in action TONIGHT regarding follow up FBI investigation into Kavanaugh and his acusors.  Likely that Kavanaugh will be offered the opportunity to take a lie detector test (how can an innocent guy like Kavanaugh refuse THAT 😉).

This is going to be interesting....

Chuck Yokota

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5035 on: September 29, 2018, 06:59:23 AM »
It may not affect the final vote, but it gives me a glimmer of hope that there is a bit of bipartisanship put into the process.

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: September 29, 2018, 04:22:20 PM »
......I am unfit, too uninformed, and not qualified.....
Yeah!

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: September 29, 2018, 04:40:52 PM »
It may not affect the final vote, but it gives me a glimmer of hope that there is a bit of bipartisanship put into the process.
re-pubic-lick-uns climb on the bandwagon, selling re-pubic-lick-uns as thoughtful, caring, loving human beings. Yet, Mark Judge, Bart O'Kavenaugh, Brett Kavenaugh, Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham, Chuck Grassley & Orrin Hatch exist as foaming resentful villains caught in villainy. 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 02:00:02 AM by litesong »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: September 29, 2018, 06:47:40 PM »
THAT didn’t take long.  FBI is already in action TONIGHT regarding follow up FBI investigation into Kavanaugh and his acusors.  Likely that Kavanaugh will be offered the opportunity to take a lie detector test (how can an innocent guy like Kavanaugh refuse THAT 😉).

This is going to be interesting....

The FBI will most likely investigate whether Kavanaugh's 1982 calendar entry support's Dr Ford's allegations:

Title: "Kavanaugh 1982 calendar entry could be examined in FBI investigation"

https://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/409062-kavanaugh-1982-calendar-entry-could-be-examined-in-fbi-investigation

Extract: "Though Kavanaugh's calendar makes no reference to Ford, Democrats have said the nominee's calendar notes could corroborate Ford's allegations.

During Kavanaugh’s testimony before the Senate panel Thursday, he said he regularly noted his “small get-togethers” with his friends.

“Go to Timmy’s for skis with Judge, Tom, P.J., Bernie and Squi,” the entry from Kavanaugh, then 17, reads.

“Timmy,” according to Kavanaugh's testimony, refers to his Georgetown Prep classmate Tim Gaudette. The other two people named are Mark Judge and Patrick “P.J.” Smyth, Kavanaugh noted. “Squi” refers to his friend Chris Garrett.

According to the Post, two of the people who Ford has claimed were in attendance the night she said she was attacked are listed on Kavanaugh’s July 1 calendar entry.

Ford testified that at least four boys, one whose name she could not remember, and one other girl were at the gathering.

The girl, Ford’s friend Leland Keyser, was her classmate at the private girls school Holton-Arms."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: September 29, 2018, 07:12:37 PM »
The linked Washington Post article from 1990, supports Swetnick's assertion in that during the 1980's seven headmasters of privates schools in the Georgetown Prep were aware of a large number of unsupervised parties where "excessive-drinking and sexual license are common."  The FBI should talk to these headmasters about what incidences were reported to them to motivate them to write a joint letter to the parents of all relevant students:

Title: "AREA HEADMASTERS WARN PARENTS OF STUDENT PARTIES"
By Carlos Sanchez, February 4, 1990

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/local/1990/02/04/area-headmasters-warn-parents-of-student-parties/06927fdb-a9fb-4a1c-89bb-8b004e21825e/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.deb9f32ee976

Extract: "The headmasters at seven of the Washington area's most prestigious private schools have written a letter to the parents of all students warning them that students are regularly throwing large, unsupervised parties where "excessive drinking and sexual license are common."

In what the headmasters called a rare joint effort, the letters, which were mailed Thursday, asked parents to step up supervision of their children to prevent them from attending or throwing weekend parties that are open to almost anyone and where alcohol is easily available.

The letter was written jointly "to give it more impact," said Malcolm Coates, headmaster at Landon School in Bethesda. "The fact that seven schools decided it was enough of a problem to address it is significant."

Individual schools have confronted the issue before. At the beginning of the school year, for example, Georgetown Preparatory School in Rockville held a conference with parents to discuss the problem of unsupervised parties and similar activities."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5040 on: September 29, 2018, 07:26:16 PM »
Per the linked WP article if the FBI's 'limited' week-long probe of Kavanaugh uncovers evidence that Kavanaugh lied to the Senate, then the FBI is free to open criminal investigation(s) 'in which law enforcement could use the full extent of its legal powers' unlimited by the White House:

Title: "FBI again drawn into partisan controversy as Republicans consent to 'limited,' additional Kavanaugh background check:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/fbi-again-drawn-into-partisan-controversy-as-republicans-consent-to-limited-additional-kavanaugh-background-check/2018/09/28/48e7a3c8-c34c-11e8-b338-a3289f6cb742_story.html?utm_term=.fcca83dfdcb0

Extract: "If investigators uncover evidence that Kavanaugh lied to lawmakers during hearings or on his background-check forms, that could spark a criminal investigation in which law enforcement could use the full extent of its legal powers.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5041 on: September 30, 2018, 02:06:01 AM »
It appears that the White House is directing the FBI's investigations from the shadows.  This is a national scandal all by itself:

Title: "White House limits scope of the FBI's investigation into the allegations against Brett Kavanaugh"

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/white-house-limits-scope-fbi-s-investigation-allegations-against-brett-n915061

Extract: "The White House is limiting the scope of the FBI’s investigation into the sexual misconduct allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, multiple people briefed on the matter told NBC News.

While the FBI will examine the allegations of Christine Blasey Ford and Deborah Ramirez, the bureau has not been permitted to investigate the claims of Julie Swetnick, who has accused Kavanaugh of engaging in sexual misconduct at parties while he was a student at Georgetown Preparatory School in the 1980s, those people familiar with the investigation told NBC News. A White House official confirmed that Swetnick's claims will not be pursued as part of the reopened background investigation into Kavanaugh.

The limited scope seems to be at odds with what some members of the Senate judiciary seemed to expect when they agreed to give the FBI as much as a week to investigate allegations against Kavanaugh, a federal judge who grew up in the Washington DC area and attended an elite all-boys high school before going on to Yale.

President Donald Trump said on Saturday that the FBI has "free reign" in the investigation. "They’re going to do whatever they have to do," he said. "Whatever it is they do, they’ll be doing — things that we never even thought of. And hopefully at the conclusion everything will be fine.""

See also:

Title: "White House Directs FBI to Interview First Two Kavanaugh Accusers, But Not the Third"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/white-house-directs-fbi-to-interview-first-two-kavanaugh-accusers-but-not-the-third-1538256505
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5042 on: September 30, 2018, 02:19:22 AM »
Trump cannot stop himself from politicizing the FBI's investigation of Kavanaugh, and maybe at odd with what some Senators are expecting before they vote:

Title: "White House limits scope of Kavanaugh FBI investigation to sexual assault claims"

https://www.axios.com/white-house-brett-kavanaugh-investigation-sexual-assault-464ade88-e74b-4074-a656-8323a3c504ad.html

Extract: "The White House is limiting the scope of the week-long FBI investigation into Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh to only the sexual assault claims made by Dr. Christine Blasey Ford and Deborah Ramirez, reports NBC News.

Why it matters: The White House has provided the bureau with a list of witnesses they can interview, and Julie Swetnick, Kavanaugh's third accuser, is not included. The restraints on the investigation may be at odds with what some on the Senate Judiciary Committee expected to be included in the investigation. Kavanaugh has vehemently denied the claims made against him from all three women."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5043 on: September 30, 2018, 02:53:49 AM »
With Trump limiting the scope of the investigation, this may create the next hurdle for Kavanaugh.  Will the 4 “holdouts” in the Senate accept the Trump curtailment of people and places the FBI is allowed to pursue?  Clearly when you are dealing with Trump, you need to spell out the meaning of things.  Not interviewing Avanatti’s client ..... not allowing the FBI to interview the grocery store where Judge worked, etc... makes the FBI followup far less thorough .... and subject to question.

If this is the case .... I expect the Democrat’s, and maybe even Flake .... to step in and demand that unreasonable borders on the followup investigation to be removed.  The FBI should be looking into any allegations that have been raised ...... at ANYTIME.

Why is Donnie trying to hide and bury the truth?  Enquiring minds want to know.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5306
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #5044 on: September 30, 2018, 12:00:08 PM »
A psychiatrist's view of Trump. A bit worrisome. I've read it once. I am not reading it again. Yuk.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/29/trump-on-the-couch-justin-frank

Mommy dearest: a psychiatrist puts Trump on the couch

Dr Justin Frank thinks the president has an erotic attachment to his daughter and a fixation with faeces and dirt

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5045 on: September 30, 2018, 12:05:49 PM »
A psychiatrist's view of Trump. A bit worrisome. I've read it once. I am not reading it again. Yuk.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/sep/29/trump-on-the-couch-justin-frank

Mommy dearest: a psychiatrist puts Trump on the couch

Dr Justin Frank thinks the president has an erotic attachment to his daughter and a fixation with faeces and dirt

You do know that if you would take a right leaning psychiatrist you would get the opposite view?

I have seen videos of people doing "body language analysis"- 2 analyzers with opposite "leanings" and you get 2 opposite results.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5046 on: September 30, 2018, 07:48:16 PM »
Trump's tweet on the freedom of the FBI investigation of Kavanaugh is fake news:

Title: "Limits to FBI's Kavanaugh investigation have not changed, despite Trump's comments"

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/white-house-limits-scope-fbi-s-investigation-allegations-against-brett-n915061

Extract: "The FBI has received no new instructions from the White House about how to proceed with its weeklong investigation of sexual misconduct allegations against Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, a senior U.S. official and another source familiar with the matter tell NBC News.

According to the sources, the president’s Saturday night tweet saying he wants the FBI to interview whoever agents deem appropriate has not changed the limits imposed by the White House counsel’s office on the FBI investigation — including a specific witness list that does not include Julie Swetnick, who has accused Kavanaugh of sexual misconduct in high school.

Also not on the list, the sources say, are former classmates who have contradicted Kavanaugh’s account of his college alcohol consumption, instead describing him as a frequent, heavy drinker. The FBI is also not authorized to interview high school classmates who could shed light on what some people have called untruths in Kavanaugh’s Senate Judiciary Committee testimony about alleged sexual references in his high school yearbook.

Separately, a White House official made clear that the White House is the client in this process. This is not an FBI criminal investigation — it is a background investigation in which the FBI is acting on behalf of the White House. Procedurally, the White House does not allow the FBI to investigate as it sees fit, the official acknowledged; the White House sets the parameters.

Instead of investigating Swetnick's claims, the White House counsel’s office has given the FBI a list of witnesses they are permitted to interview, according to several people who discussed the parameters on the condition of anonymity. They characterized the White House instructions as a significant constraint on the FBI investigation and caution that such a limited scope, while not unusual in normal circumstances, may make it difficult to pursue additional leads in a case in which a Supreme Court nominee has been accused of sexual assault.

The limited scope seems to be at odds with what some members of the Senate judiciary seemed to expect when they agreed to give the FBI as much as a week to investigate allegations against Kavanaugh, a federal judge who grew up in the Washington DC area and attended an elite all-boys high school before going on to Yale."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5047 on: September 30, 2018, 09:57:48 PM »
It should be crystal clear to most by now .... that Trump is going to do anything he can to get Kavanaugh confirmed.  ANYTHING.  And as soon as Kavanaugh is in, Rosenteins days are numbered.

30+ days until the election, and time is ticking......
« Last Edit: September 30, 2018, 10:07:07 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5048 on: September 30, 2018, 10:09:35 PM »
KellyAnne Conway:  “I’m a victim of sexual assault.”

ME:  “Than how can you stomach working for someone Like Trump that has committed sexual assault his whole adult life.  You should be ashamed of yourself.”
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 12:29:46 PM by Buddy »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5049 on: October 01, 2018, 06:44:30 AM »
They did a deal:

"Today, Canada and the United States reached an agreement, alongside Mexico, on a new, modernized trade agreement  ..."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-45702609

sidd