Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1474292 times)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #5400 on: January 25, 2019, 10:19:51 AM »
The hidden costs of the government shutdown
35 ways the shutdown is affecting America, from small-business loans to alcohol labels.

https://www.vox.com/2019/1/24/18188621/government-shutdown-hidden-costs

The shutdown is making life miserable for a lot of people and of course it is the people in need that suffer the most.

If they keep up the closure something will break. Most workers can´t miss a lot of paychecks so maybe they will be pissed off enough to shut down air traffic? (would be the best area for some action?)

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5401 on: January 25, 2019, 11:59:23 AM »
On the other hand Vicky, the cookie lady, hasn't yet made a pilgrimage to Caracas. Something about paying her own way perhaps? ::)
Terry

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #5402 on: January 25, 2019, 05:19:41 PM »
FAA Orders Ground Stops and Delays Flights at Major U.S. Airports Due to Shutdown-Related Air Traffic Controller Shortage

Link >> https://www.reddit.com/r/politics/comments/ajq8wp/megathread_faa_orders_ground_stops_and_delays/

At least this saves some CO2 i hope.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5403 on: January 29, 2019, 08:17:23 AM »
Here is a wild and crazy thought, expounded to me by someone over a pool game at the bar.

One of the TVs is on a news channel (sound off, of course, only games have sound on) and the crawler sez sumpn about venezuela. The guy looked at it, and said, "The whole thing is a TV show. Trump is a TV show. Remember the Apprentice  show ? He can't fire 'em till he hires 'em ! Same with war, he cant stop a war if he don't start it first. Bet he steps in and stops this one b4 the troops go in."

Then he blew the chalk off the tip of his cue, and proceeded to clear the table.

sidd

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #5404 on: January 29, 2019, 09:36:51 AM »
Hey Sidd,

i think there is truth to it. How he runs his whole presidency is very TV-showesque. And i hope your friend is right with the "steps in and stops this one b4 the troops go in" part.

But there is also another thing that underlies his thinking i want to emphasise. He is not only an ex-reality-TV show host, but he is also a Hitler fan. He bragged once about how this book with Hitler speeches was the only book on his nightstand. In fact, there are parallels in his politics. He is playing the good old, well-known nazi-playbook as seen here:

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #5405 on: January 29, 2019, 10:35:49 AM »
It would be a fascinating thought experiment or maybe a science fiction novel to wonder what would have happened if after the election here in the November of 2016 had the European Union said:

"Well you know Hillary Clinton got three million more votes. We're gonna recognize her as the legitimately elected President United States. We're not going to talk to Trump."

Well, that would have been nice.

In the case of Venezuela, the EU asked for re-elections, which Maduro rejected :
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/01/venezuela-maduro-rejects-eu-ultimatum-fresh-elections-190127143103615.html

The EU is not the only one rejecting the re-election of Maduro :

This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: February 07, 2019, 09:41:28 AM »
Let's not waste either.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #5407 on: February 07, 2019, 07:08:12 PM »
While the Democrats seems to love it, the rest of the people have shown greater disdain.  I believe this year will be made up of much posturing between the parties, and I think the Democrats are fighting an uphill party on this front.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: February 09, 2019, 09:44:28 AM »
In case you missed it : The REAL State of the Union, by the guy who should be President :

Let's not waste either.

Pmt111500

« Reply #5409 on: February 12, 2019, 11:51:32 AM »
So, democrats gave Trump 1.7 billion for the wall? What? Why? Don't they know the whole wall is a scam?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: February 12, 2019, 02:23:24 PM »
It is also not near the money he wants and he is not wired for compromises so it might be a 1.7B rope.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: February 13, 2019, 11:54:31 AM »
Donald Trump's tax cut was a massive giveaway to large, profitable corporations and wealthy Republican campaign contributors.

Here is the ROI of their Trump Presidency campaign contributions :

Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: February 15, 2019, 04:58:10 AM »
This is truly dangerous, folks :

Trump’s Followers Believe His Lies About the Wall
No evidence—not even from Fox News—can shake their faith.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/02/trump-followers-believe-lies-wall.html

Trumpism isn’t about a border wall, any more than it’s about patriotism or conservatism. It’s about unshakeable faith in one man.

Last time that happened, we had to fight a World War to get back to reason.
Now it's happening in the US itself...
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: February 15, 2019, 07:49:57 AM »
Trump is declaring a national emergency to bypass Congress, to build a wall we don’t need, to address a crisis that doesn’t exist, by claiming an authority he doesn’t have.

If that sounds like nonsense, it’s because it is. It’s also plainly unconstitutional.

https://twitter.com/RepAdamSchiff/status/1096190019746873344

Let's not waste either.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #5414 on: February 15, 2019, 10:01:17 AM »
Hey Rob,

while i agree with you in general, is it literally unconstitutional?

I mean, yeah, it should be unconstitutional but is it really?

For how i see it, the constitution has a lot of wiggle room so a president that wants to act authoritarian is not explicitly forbidden to do so. But i'm not an expert on the constitution and am very thankful for every input on the topic.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #5415 on: February 15, 2019, 02:30:21 PM »
Hilarious. They are not only faking Trump's height (4:50 ff in video) but even his finger length (8:49).

Great piece of investigative journalism :) :)

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5416 on: February 16, 2019, 06:44:38 AM »
America's Finest News Source: Trump cites historical precedent

"President Donald Trump offered a clear, historical precedent Friday for deploying the U.S. military with no provocation. "

"What I’m doing is entirely in keeping with the way that the U.S. government usually acts"

"I would quote the words of Noam Chomsky ..."

https://politics.theonion.com/trump-offers-clear-historical-precedent-for-deploying-1832659857

Boy, the onion is brutal. But someone needs to say it.

sidd

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5417 on: February 16, 2019, 08:25:39 AM »
Hey Rob,

while i agree with you in general, is it literally unconstitutional?

I mean, yeah, it should be unconstitutional but is it really?

Thanks b_lumenkraft.
Here is some down-to-earth assessment of the situation :

https://prospect.org/article/trumps-emergency-action-unlawful-and-unconstitutional

The Constitution has no clause that gives the president emergency powers. This was a deliberate and wise choice. The framers of the Constitution wanted to make sure that its requirements, including checks and balances, are enforced even in times of crisis. Indeed, when prior presidents have tried to claim inherent power to deal with emergencies, the Supreme Court has rejected such claims.   

In the end, any funding for Trump's wall would need to be approved by Congress, regardless of Trump's declaration of an emergency.

Since Congress is split right now, any claimed extra powers by Trump will have to be decided by the third branch of the government : The Legislature.

So, yeah, there will be some lawsuits.
Let's not waste either.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5418 on: February 16, 2019, 06:54:57 PM »
On tv he said ‘I didn’t need to do this, but I’d rather do it much faster.’ so that should help with the lawsuits...

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #5419 on: February 16, 2019, 07:05:20 PM »
... The use of military forces to perform domestic functions — such as constructing barriers along the US-Mexico border — could pose fundamental legal, policy and administrative challenges.

“Military forces operating freely within civilian jurisdictions risk upsetting the constitutional balance between civil authority, the military, and the private sector,” the Army said this week in a newly updated manual.

Therefore, “Army leaders must ensure that even in a catastrophic event, Army support remains within the boundaries of constitutional principles, U.S. laws, DOD policies, and Army regulations,” the manual said. See Defense Support of Civil Authorities, Army Doctrine Publication 3-28, February 11, 2019.

https://fas.org/blogs/secrecy/2019/02/army-dsca/
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #5420 on: February 16, 2019, 07:49:58 PM »
Yeah, otherwise known as 'crossing the Rubicon'!

He has indeed just openly declared that it is all about expedience, and has nothing to do with emergency.

Just ran across this nice essay that some may enjoy (sorry if it's already been posted here and I missed it): https://worldofwonder.net/quora-nate-white-hilariously-answers-the-query-why-do-british-people-not-like-trump/?fbclid=IwAR2i_BGF0UH5-uKg1NbPx9c7WxLhancJuDTooOgpXYBUH1LnXODq2HUp3mE

I'll just give the finale here, but the whole thing (not long) is worth a read:

...it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. He turns being artless into an art form;

He is a Picasso of pettiness; a Shakespeare of shit.

His faults are fractal: even his flaws have flaws, and so on ad infinitum.

God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.

He makes Nixon look trustworthy and George W look smart.

In fact, if Frankenstein decided to make a monster assembled entirely from human flaws – he would make a Trump.

And a remorseful Doctor Frankenstein would clutch out big clumpfuls of hair and scream in anguish:

‘My God… what… have… I… created?

If being a twat was a TV show, Trump would be the boxed set
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:50:41 PM by wili »
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5421 on: February 16, 2019, 08:01:23 PM »
The link is about the alternative 11 cities tour (200km iceskating).

The quote at the end there is weird because any dutch skater would love to do it in Friesland with no mountains in sight.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5422 on: February 16, 2019, 09:52:23 PM »
Thanks, kassy. I fixed the link.

I wondered about that last last quote, too. Many of the canals in the Netherlands are very beautiful.
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #5423 on: February 17, 2019, 09:50:40 AM »
So, yeah, there will be some lawsuits.

Thanks, Rob,

so with the SCOTUS as it, i'm rather pessimistic...

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #5424 on: February 17, 2019, 11:32:49 AM »
Hi Wili,

what a nice read. So many great reference insults. You just can't insult the guy enough...

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #5425 on: February 18, 2019, 12:48:57 PM »
Yet another true accurate news report by Russia Today

Venezuela kicks out ‘interventionist’ team of European MPs coming to meet with Guaido
Published time: 18 Feb, 2019

A six-member European delegation that sought to meet with self-proclaimed Venezuelan ‘interim president’ Juan Guaido is being expelled from Venezuela after being accused by Caracas of coming with “conspiratorial purposes.”

European MPs arrived in Venezuela on Sunday and were supposed to stay until Tuesday to carry out a series of meetings, including with Guaido, the leader of the opposition recognized by a number of European governments as the legitimate leader of Venezuela.

Read More: https://www.rt.com/news/451702-venezuela-delegation-mep-expelled/

Off-topic, but some more on that:

The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Martin Gisser

« Reply #5426 on: February 20, 2019, 04:54:13 PM »
Pence speech at Munich Sicherheitskonferenz 2019: Applause for Lindsey Graham, 5 seconds of silence for Trump:

Is this the manuscript or a fake transcript:
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-vice-president-pence-2019-munich-security-conference-munich-germany/
I’m also honored to be joined by an extraordinary delegation of Americans, including Acting Secretary of Defense Patrick Shanahan, and a distinguished delegation of senators and representatives from the United States Congress, led by Senator Lindsey Graham.  Would you join me in welcoming the largest American delegation in the history of the Munich Security Conference?  (Applause.)

It’s an honor to be here with them and with Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi.  Madam Speaker, my greetings to you.  (Applause.)  We’re grateful for Senator Graham’s leadership of this delegation and grateful for the strong bipartisan American presence represented here.  To them and to all of you, it’s my great honor to speak to you today, on behalf of a champion of freedom and a champion of a strong national defense, the 45th President of the United States of America, President Donald Trump.  (Applause.)

---------------------------------
One of the more noteable remarks came from former U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry: "We are currently living out, by acts of omission and commission, a mutual suicide pact on this planet,"
https://www.dw.com/en/climate-change-a-threat-to-world-order-munich-security-conference-hears/a-47553876

Couldn't find any video.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5427 on: February 20, 2019, 08:05:32 PM »
Justice Department preparing for Mueller report as early as next week
https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/politics/special-counsel-conclusion-announcement/index.html

Attorney General Bill Barr is preparing to announce as early as next week the completion of Robert Mueller's Russia investigation, with plans for Barr to submit to Congress soon after a summary of Mueller's confidential report, according to people familiar with the plans.

The preparations are the clearest indication yet that Mueller is nearly done with his almost two-year investigation.

The precise timing of the announcement is subject to change. The scope and contours of what Barr will send to Congress remain unclear. Also unclear is how long it will take Justice officials to prepare what will be submitted to lawmakers.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Martin Gisser

« Reply #5428 on: February 20, 2019, 09:22:35 PM »
More from Munich: Lindsey Graham no longer licking Trump's boots? Might be the first sign of the end of Trump.

Consistently reported by several sources:
But the true insiders know the real diplomatic action was not in the public sessions but in the private rooms where the bilateral meetings and diplomatic interactions unfolded. Several members of the U.S. congressional delegation told me the most consequential of these meetings was the one in which lawmakers confronted Shanahan about Trump’s withdrawal from Syria.

Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (R-S.C.), the leader of the main congressional delegation, pressed Shanahan on whether he was telling European officials in Munich that the full U.S. withdrawal from Syria was a done deal.

“Are you telling our allies that we are going to go to zero by April 30?” he asked Shanahan, according to Graham.

“Yes, that’s been our direction [from the president],” Shanahan replied.

That’s the dumbest f---ing idea I’ve ever heard,” Graham responded.

Graham then launched into a list of consequences he feared would result from a precipitous U.S. withdrawal from Syria without a follow-up plan: The Islamic State would return, Turkey would attack Kurdish forces, Iran would gain the advantage. Graham asked Shanahan if he disagreed with that analysis.

“That could very well happen,” Shanahan said.

“Well, if the policy is going to be that we are leaving by April 30, I am now your adversary, not your friend,” Graham told the acting Pentagon chief, according to Graham. (Several other lawmakers confirmed this exchange.)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/02/20/inside-patrick-shanahans-clash-with-congress-munich-over-syria/

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5429 on: February 25, 2019, 08:27:55 AM »
This could go in many threads.

Hopkins at dissidentvoice on Trump, Empire, media and much more: "Maybe Donald Trump isn’t as stupid as I thought."

"So how did Trump finally get the liberal corporate media to stop calling him a fascist? He did that by acting like a fascist ..."

"Unfortunately, there is no America. There is nothing to make great again. “America” is a fiction, a fantasy, a nostalgia ... What there is, in reality, instead of America, is a supranational global capitalist empire, a decentralized, interdependent network of global corporations, financial institutions, national governments, intelligence agencies, supranational governmental entities, military forces, media ... "

"Corporations, especially multi-billion dollar transnational corporations ... have no nationalities, nor any real allegiances, other than to their major shareholders ...Do you really believe that being nominally headquartered in Boston or New York makes these companies “American,” or that Deutsche Bank is a “German” bank, or that BP is a “British” company? "

"There are no more sovereign nation states. Global capitalism has done away with them."

Read the whole thing:

https://dissidentvoice.org/2019/02/making-globalism-great-again/

sidd

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #5430 on: February 26, 2019, 08:28:31 AM »
This could go in many threads.

"There are no more sovereign nation states. Global capitalism has done away with them."

Mostly I agree.
Sovereign states have some autonomy but global capitalism does punish them for it.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: March 16, 2019, 04:37:21 AM »
Veto number 1 of Trump caliphate:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47591552

sidd

ASILurker

« Reply #5432 on: March 21, 2019, 11:12:17 AM »
It took New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern six days to get a ban on semi-automatic weapons.

Six days. Women get shit done. https://t.co/DxVdzzIYOT

---

This is what real action to stop gun violence looks like. We must follow New Zealand's lead, take on the NRA and ban the sale and distribution of assault weapons in the United States. https://t.co/lSAisDG9Ur
    — Bernie Sanders (@BernieSanders) March 21, 2019

---

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has announced a ban on military style, semi-automatic (MSSA) guns and assault rifles in the wake of the Christchurch mosque shootings.

All semi-automatic weapons used during the terrorist attack on Friday will be banned, she said.

Related parts used to convert the guns into MSSAs would also be banned, along with all high-capacity magazines.

Cabinet had still to consider issues surrounding a gun register, she said. [ but there will be a Gun Register on top of the current Gun Owners Licensing provisions very soon ]

She also announced immediate action to prevent stockpiling

She expected the amendments to the Arms Act to be in place by April 11.

An amnesty will be put in place for weapons to be handed in.
(with Video)
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-shooting/111455050/new-gun-laws-announced-by-pm-after-christchurch-mosque-shootings

World reacts
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/christchurch-shooting/111465565/world-reacts-to-new-zealands-new-gun-laws-after-christchurch-terror-attacks 

President Trump asked what the United States could do and received an answer he can’t have been expecting.

“Sympathy and love for all Muslim communities,” the Prime Minister told him.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 11:50:12 AM by Lurk »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: March 23, 2019, 06:16:56 AM »
Mueller done, no more indictments. Jared, Ivanka, Don (sr and jr) and the rest walk. Of course, expecting the guy  who did the bulger coverup to actually do anything embarassing always was a losing game. Sorta like waiting for Holder to indict torturers. 

Like the bookie at the bar sez: the fone call came down, the fix went in, long b4 the game started.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/1970/01/19/one-lingering-question-for-fbi-director-robert-mueller/613uW0MR7czurRn7M4BG2J/story.html

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/aug/31/obama-justice-department-immunity-bush-cia-torturer

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/22/trump-mueller-report-complete-1230491

sidd

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: March 23, 2019, 06:17:03 PM »
???

Obviously, no more indictments are going to come directly from Mueller, since his report is done. But lots of other spin offs are going to continue.

Talk about buying into the media hype...sheesh!

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: March 24, 2019, 06:47:39 AM »
"Talking points distributed by the Republican National Committee encouraged Trump's allies to stress that "after two years, millions of taxpayer dollars, and multiple congressional investigations confirming there was no collusion, it's good this report has finally concluded." "

So nice to see that some here are staying so well on script! :)

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/23/politics/donald-trump-mar-a-lago-robert-mueller/index.html

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: March 26, 2019, 08:37:27 AM »
Meanwhile, blowback in flyover country: Mueller report is a gift that keeps on giving

"Trump was exonerated."

"Still most people in town are like the Smiths, the so-called "forgotten people" who support the president and believe that the special counsel, members of Congress and others in Washington just get in his way.

"They have forgotten who their bosses are," says Mrs Smith, "we, the people, are the ones that put them there."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47698812

sidd

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #5437 on: March 29, 2019, 07:54:44 PM »
Trump says Great Lakes have 'record deepness'

“And I'm going to get, in honor of my friends, full funding of $300 million for the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative,” the president said.

His 2020 fiscal budget proposal calls for a $270 million cut to the $300 million Great Lakes Restoration Initiative, according to The Detroit Free Press.
Link >> https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/436429-trump-says-great-lakes-have-record-deepness

What a lying piece of shit...

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: March 30, 2019, 07:09:59 AM »
US Reveals Secret Deal to Sell Nuclear Tech to Saudi Arabia 
https://dw.com/en/us-reveals-secret-deal-to-sell-nuclear-tech-to-saudi-arabia/a-48107484

The Donald Trump administration has granted permission to unspecified US companies to sell nuclear technology to Saudi Arabia and provide technical assistance, US Energy Secretary Rick Perry told the Senate Armed Services Committee on Thursday 

The companies have asked the administration to keep the approvals secret.

The oil-rich kingdom is set to build at least two nuclear power plants, with several countries, including the US, South Korea, and Russia, all vying for the project. However, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman has also stated that his country would also seek to develop nuclear weapons if its Iranian rivals obtained it.

The news of the approvals comes only months since Saudi operatives brutally killed and dismembered US-based reporter Jamal Khashoggi in October 2018.

... "If you cannot trust a regime with a bone-saw, you should not trust them with nuclear weapons," one lawmaker responded. Many in Congress fear Riyadh could use American technology to develop a nuclear bomb.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 07:21:43 AM by vox_mundi »

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #5439 on: March 30, 2019, 08:49:47 PM »
hmmm ...

Bombshell New Allegations: Kushner Appears to be Extorting Qatari Government
https://hillreporter.com/bombshell-new-allegations-kushner-appears-to-be-extorting-qatari-government-29169

President Trump shockingly supported the blockade of a key US ally in the region, forcing many within his own Administration and the GOP to question the move publicly.

“What the Qataris found was not just a blockade. There were Saudi [and] Emerati troops on their border,” Ward explained to KrassenCast. “What they interpreted this as, was Jared Kushner basically saying, ‘if you don’t pay my father and pay off this building, look what’s going to happen. We’re going to, I’m going to, the Americans are going to sanction an invasion of your country.’ Sources in the State Department say, yes, it’s true; troops were on the border,” Ward continued.

Nine months later, a Canadian company, Brookfield Partners, who the Qatari Investment Authority owns a $1.8 billion or 9% stake in, bailed out Kushner Properties, with a 99-year lease agreement for 666 5th Ave.

“They bail it out in a deal that makes absolutely no economic sense. They do a 99-year lease and they pay the entire 99-year lease up front. You don’t need to be good at math, you don’t need to be in the New York real estate community to understand how crazy that is,” Ward told KrassenCast.

Around this same time, President Trump publicly shifts course, no longer supporting the blockade, as Secretary of State Mike Pompeo tells Saudi Arabia to stop the embargo.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: April 04, 2019, 06:37:11 AM »
Trump carries on a glorious Obama precedent: killing your own

"Lawyers for an American journalist who believes he was placed on the government's infamous "kill list" warned Tuesday that the rights of all U.S. citizens are at stake "

"Kareem joined an Al Jazeera journalist in 2017 in a lawsuit against the government, demanding that the Trump administration remove their names from the "kill list" of potential targets for the U.S. drone program."

"By invoking the state secrets privilege in the context of designating a U.S. citizen for lethal action, the government seeks to shield itself from all inquiry into the process by which it acts as prosecutor, judge, jury, and executioner of plaintiff Bilal Abdul Kareem,"

"The government, in its motion to dismiss, said that Kareem's due process rights would be satisfied simply by allowing him to present evidence that he has been wrongly placed on the kill list, and that the government was under no obligation to repond."

" it was akin to "limiting the accused to unilaterally contending that he is innocent of unknown charges in the hopes of persuading a silent, opaque coterie of government officials not to kill him." "

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/04/02/us-governments-refusal-confirm-or-deny-it-put-american-journalist-drone-kill-list

Well, i suppose they could rather dismember him in a US embassy, like their best friends do ...

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: April 06, 2019, 07:13:15 AM »
Trump makes himself some more powerful enemies: the military-industrial complexes of the three leading military powers

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china-russia/trump-laments-military-spending-by-us-china-and-russia-floats-deal-idea-idUSKCN1RG2UN

sidd

ASILurker

« Reply #5442 on: April 10, 2019, 09:39:55 AM »
 AG Barr forms team to probe FBI’s Trump-Russia collusion probe for bias – report
Published time: 10 Apr, 2019

Attorney General William Barr has reportedly formed a team to review long-standing allegations that the FBI and Justice Department investigation into collusion between President Donald Trump and Russia was biased from the start.

"I am reviewing the conduct of the investigation and trying to get my arms around all the aspects of the counterintelligence investigation that was conducted during the summer of 2016," Barr told a House Appropriations subcommittee panel on Tuesday. A source familiar with the matter told Bloomberg that Barr will be examining the conduct of both the FBI and the Department of Justice for the possibility their "collusion" investigations were motivated by "anti-Trump bias."

Barr's new probe is separate from an existing investigation by the Office of the Inspector General into how a FISA warrant to surveil Trump campaign adviser Carter Page was obtained, the source said, while Barr told the House panel that the OIG investigation would be finished within the next few months.

Rep. Devin Nunes, the ranking Republican on the House Intelligence Committee, announced last week he was sending eight criminal referrals to Barr regarding abuses committed by the FBI and DoJ during the Russiagate investigation – including three that involve efforts to mislead and abuse the FISA courts. Nunes' committee has been looking into FBI and DoJ malfeasance in the Trump probe since 2017.

https://www.rt.com/usa/456068-barr-investigates-anti-trump-bias/

Bugger!

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #5443 on: April 10, 2019, 06:03:49 PM »
And the sad thing is: He has a point. There was a witch hunt, but Trump is a witch. And the only way to beat a witch is by neutralizing its spells.

What's even sadder, is that he has clearly come to an agreement with the establishment pushing for a coup, which explains why Mueller has been whistled back and it's all about the collusion with the commies, not the corruption with myriads of parties from different nations. It's all a distraction, on purpose. And people fall for it, because they don't want to do the hard work of developing a vision based on universal principles that always stands, no matter the conditions.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #5444 on: April 11, 2019, 11:32:31 AM »
Meanwhile, it seems Trump's recognition of Israel's sovereignty over the Golan Heights (i.e. forceful annexation of territory from Syria) will have, as usual, unintended consequences. Do not be surprised if Russia (Crimea, the Arctic(?)) and China (South China Sea) say "what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander".

I am continually surprised that I am surprised on how much real damage Trump and his cohorts are able to inflict on this tired old world of ours.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/apr/11/golan-heights-crimea-pompeo-us-state-department
Pompeo flounders on why annexation is good for the Golan but not for Crimea
Trump’s decision to recognise Israeli sovereignty over territory it seized from Syria sets a troubling precedent, experts fear

Trump’s action risks a breakdown in global norms, giving a green light not just to Russia’s seizure of Crimea, but wars of conquest around the world.

The US recognition of the Golan annexation also raised questions on whether Trump would endorse plans by Benjamin Netanyahu, kept in power by Tuesday’s Israeli elections, to annex the West Bank.

In Senate hearings on Tuesday and Wednesday, Pompeo refused to say whether the US would recognise Israeli annexation of the West Bank.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #5445 on: April 13, 2019, 10:21:31 PM »
Trump Ignores Law in Latest Power Grab

Watch Ben Dixon being brilliant.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #5446 on: April 15, 2019, 10:51:13 AM »
Let's talk about how Trump will be our first open borders President....

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5447 on: April 17, 2019, 06:31:34 AM »
Trump wants to keep bombing yemen: vetoes War powers resolution

Lets see if house/senate can override the veto, or even have the guts to try.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-47958014

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5448 on: April 18, 2019, 06:29:53 AM »
The Donald calls Carter: China blues

"Carter told a church congregation this weekend that he had spoken with President Donald Trump about China on Saturday, and said the commander in chief was worried that Beijing had outpaced its global rivals."

"Carter said he did not “really fear that time, but it bothers President Trump and I don’t know why." "

"Carter—who normalized diplomatic relations between Washington and Beijing in 1979—suggested that China’s breakneck growth had been facilitated by sensible investment and buoyed by peace."

" “Since 1979, do you know how many times China has been at war with anybody?” Carter asked. “None. And we have stayed at war.” The U.S., he noted, has only enjoyed 16 years of peace in its 242-year history, making the country “the most warlike nation in the history of the world,” Carter said. This is, he said, because of America’s tendency to force other nations to “adopt our American principles.” "

"In China, meanwhile, the economic benefits of peace were clear to the eye. “How many miles of high-speed railroad do we have in this country?” he asked. "

“I wasn’t comparing my country adversely to China. I was just pointing that out because I happened to get a phone call last night.”

Read:

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-jimmy-carter-china-war-infrastructure-economy-trade-war-church-1396086

Carter: the best ex president the USA ever had.

Bonus link from America's Finest News Source:  oldie but a goodie

"You better get down on your hands and knees and kiss Jimmy Carter's rosy-red Georgia-peach-picking ass and beg me to run your fucking country again"

"But who comes to me, huh? Fucking nobody. Why ask old Jimmy anything? What the fuck could he know about peace in the Middle East? It's not like he fucking won the Nobel Peace Prize for that shit. "

"Cocksuckers."

"Oh, what's that I hear? The weather's all screwy? You got a global warming problem? Boo-fucking-hoo! I was telling you morons to turn off your lights and unplug all your shit at night to conserve energy in 19-fuckin'-75, for chrissake. "

"You had your chance with Jimmy Carter, and you fucking blew it. "

https://politics.theonion.com/i-got-what-america-needs-right-here-1819584452

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5449 on: April 26, 2019, 09:04:49 AM »
Reagan era zombies walk again: supply side ascendant

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/04/22/reagan-trump-economy-226704