Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1486462 times)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5304
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #6000 on: July 10, 2020, 03:44:01 PM »
This thread started with a poll.

Should it be resurrected? Mind you, last time the USA got Trump. Those of a superstitious leaning might not want to tempt fate a second time.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #6001 on: July 10, 2020, 04:08:36 PM »
I would like to see the poll resurrected myself.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3518
  • Likes Given: 754
« Reply #6002 on: July 11, 2020, 03:14:31 AM »
It's late Friday evening in Trumpistan which means it's 'let-criminals-out-of-jail' time ...

Trump Commutes Sentence Of Longtime Friend, Adviser And Convicted Criminal Roger Stone
https://www.npr.org/2020/07/10/887721441/trump-commutes-sentence-of-longtime-friend-and-adviser-roger-stone

President Trump on Friday commuted the prison sentence of his longtime friend Roger Stone, a veteran Republican operative who was convicted of lying to Congress about his efforts to contact WikiLeaks during Russia's interference in the 2016 election.

White House press secretary Kayleigh Goebbels McEnany said in a statement. "There was never any collusion between the Trump Campaign, or the Trump Administration, with Russia."
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

blumenkraft

« Reply #6003 on: July 14, 2020, 12:36:40 PM »
@Mikel Jollett via Twitter

The President is tested every day.

Every single person he comes into
contact with is also tested.

If anyone tests positive, they are
immediately quarantined and their
contacts are tested.

See? He DOES understand how
to stop the virus. He just doesn't
give a shit about YOU.

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #6004 on: July 14, 2020, 01:30:18 PM »
This thread started with a poll.

Should it be resurrected? Mind you, last time the USA got Trump. Those of a superstitious leaning might not want to tempt fate a second time.

Feel free to resurrect the poll if you like.  I for one am not superstitious.  (What's one more poll?)  I do feel, however, that on this forum the general outcome is hardly in doubt.

Pmt111500

blumenkraft

« Reply #6006 on: July 20, 2020, 09:43:47 PM »
Let's talk about how Trump might win...

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6007 on: July 20, 2020, 10:54:08 PM »
Homeland Security making plans to deploy some 150 agents in Chicago this week, with scope of duty unknown
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2020/07/20/homeland-security-planning-to-deploy-150-agents-to-chicago-this-week/amp/

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is crafting plans to deploy about 150 federal agents to Chicago this week, the Chicago Tribune has learned, a move that would come amid growing controversy nationally about federal force being used in American cities.

The Homeland Security Investigations, or HSI, agents are set to assist other federal law enforcement and Chicago police in crime-fighting efforts, according to sources familiar with the matter, though a specific plan on what the agents will be doing had not been made public.

... At an unrelated news conference Monday morning, Mayor Lori Lightfoot said she has great concerns about the general possibility of President Donald Trump sending feds to Chicago based on what has happened in Portland.

If Trump wants to help, she said, he could boost federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives resources and fully fund prosecutors.

“We don’t need federal agents without any insignia taking people off the streets and holding them, I think, unlawfully,” Lightfoot said.

Word of the Chicago plan comes as Trump last week made a vague announcement on how his administration intended to deal with crime in big U.S. cities like Chicago. The Republican president, who has been very critical of Chicago’s violence throughout his term, has been pushing a “law and order” message as he enters the final stretch of his reelection campaign against his presumptive Democratic challenger, former Vice President Joe Biden.

... “I’m going to do something that I can tell you, because we’re not going to leave New York and Chicago and Philadelphia, Detroit and Baltimore, and all of these — Oakland is a mess. We’re not going to let this happen in our country, all run by liberal Democrats,” Trump said.

“We’re going to have more federal law enforcement, that I can tell you,” he said.

... This is not law and order. This is an assault on the people of this country, the specific protections of protest and press in the First Amendment, and the Constitution’s assignment of policing to local authorities — not from a president acting like a despot.”

--------------------------------------

--------------------------------------

Trump Consults Bush Torture Lawyer On How to Skirt Law and Rule by Decree
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jul/20/trump-john-yoo-lawyer-torture-waterboarding

... In a Fox News Sunday interview, Trump declared he would try to use the Supreme Court interpretation to try to force through decrees on healthcare, immigration and “various other plans” over the coming month. The White House consultations with Yoo were first reported by the Axios news website.

https://www.axios.com/trump-executive-orders-supreme-court-daca-3d369f16-d9db-4e39-b8a0-946e670797b2.html

Constitutional scholars and human rights activists have also pointed to the deployment of paramilitary federal forces against protesters in Portland as a sign that Trump is ready to use this broad interpretation of presidential powers as a means to suppress basic constitutional rights.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 02:54:30 AM by vox_mundi »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6008 on: July 21, 2020, 06:47:29 PM »
Trump Is Now Deploying Unidentified ICE Agents to Arrest Protesters in Democratic-Run Cities
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/trump-unidentified-ice-agents-arrest-protesters-streets-democrat-cities-portland-chicago.amp

Having conceded defeat to the coronavirus pandemic, President Donald Trump needs a straw man enemy to prop up and spar with over the next several months in hopes of scaring Americans into thinking there is a greater threat to their safety and prosperity than the actual president himself. Stirring up a hornets’ nest is what Trump’s after and in the Portland protests he clearly senses an opportunity to cause disorder, which he can use to contrive a national response. As such, Trump said he is planning to send similar federal agents into multiple American cities, all under Democratic leadership.

... Speaking to reporters at the White House on Monday, Trump identified New York, Chicago, Philadelphia, Detroit, Baltimore and Oakland as places in need of federal agents, describing those cities’ as a mess and thier mayors as “liberal Democrats”.

“We’re sending law enforcement,” he said. “We can’t let this happen to the cities.” "We’re not going to let this happen in our country."

The rhetoric harkens back to Trump’s 2016 run where he spun tales of American carnage—real and imagined—and claimed that amidst the disorder, he alone could fix it.

The generalized increase of blunt force in response to nothing in particular is part of a wider ratcheting up of the government’s response to sporadic protests lingering after weeks of powerful nationwide demonstrations.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2052
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #6009 on: July 22, 2020, 01:49:14 PM »
At this rate your next presidente will probably be a general...
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6010 on: July 22, 2020, 11:10:03 PM »

-----------------------------------------------

blumenkraft

« Reply #6011 on: July 23, 2020, 10:23:48 AM »
This is a lot of war...  ::)

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6012 on: July 23, 2020, 11:02:09 PM »

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1045
« Reply #6013 on: July 24, 2020, 09:09:54 AM »
so is Trump back on Bannon's leash ? b.c.
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

blumenkraft

« Reply #6014 on: July 24, 2020, 09:16:07 AM »
Of course, he is. He never wasn't.

Listen to the "Bannon's War Room" podcast if you can handle it.

blumenkraft

« Reply #6015 on: July 24, 2020, 11:15:39 AM »
As if it was a hoax narrative all the time...

blumenkraft

« Reply #6016 on: July 24, 2020, 03:01:52 PM »
Translates to: "Why is he hurting me? He's supposed to be hurting other people."

‘I may have signed my own death warrant’: Teacher regrets her Trump vote as schools pushed to reopen during COVID-19 pandemic

Link >> https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/i-may-have-signed-my-own-warrant-teacher-regrets-her-trump-vote-as-schools-pushed-to-reopen-during-19/

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #6017 on: July 24, 2020, 03:50:27 PM »
blum, don't put words in other people's mouth. There is no evidence in the article linked, nor the article that one links to, that she wanted or expected "other people" to be hurt more than her...she picked the "less bad". I became an Independent before her for similar reasons, and voted for Trump for similar reasons. I am also a sexagenerian, so I am at risk for covid, and I think Trump deserves a D- at best for how he is handling the pandemic. So I understand how she feels.
EDIT: Also, you seem to feel every Trump voter only voted for Trump because he would "hurt other people". I do not accuse all Hillary voters of voting solely so a mother can kill her baby for nine months. Yes, that is the decisive issue for me, but I am aware other people have other issues in mind.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 04:00:15 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

Pmt111500

« Reply #6018 on: July 24, 2020, 05:58:19 PM »
Translates to: "Why is he hurting me? He's supposed to be hurting other people."

‘I may have signed my own death warrant’: Teacher regrets her Trump vote as schools pushed to reopen during COVID-19 pandemic

Link >> https://www.rawstory.com/2020/07/i-may-have-signed-my-own-warrant-teacher-regrets-her-trump-vote-as-schools-pushed-to-reopen-during-19/
Well, if she gets sick she shouldn't go get tested as it makes America look weak, to paraphrase el presidente.

blumenkraft

« Reply #6019 on: July 24, 2020, 06:25:20 PM »
blum, don't put words in other people's mouth. There is no evidence in the article linked, nor the article that one links to, that she wanted or expected "other people" to be hurt more than her...she picked the "less bad". I became an Independent before her for similar reasons, and voted for Trump for similar reasons. I am also a sexagenerian, so I am at risk for covid, and I think Trump deserves a D- at best for how he is handling the pandemic. So I understand how she feels.
EDIT: Also, you seem to feel every Trump voter only voted for Trump because he would "hurt other people". I do not accuse all Hillary voters of voting solely so a mother can kill her baby for nine months. Yes, that is the decisive issue for me, but I am aware other people have other issues in mind.

Targeting and scapegoating minorities is an inherent feature of far-right ideology. This is politics 101. A teacher knows that!

That Trump is a far-right candidate was as clear as water.

Everyone who voted for him did it because (the nazis), or despite he is far-right (people like you). In the outcome, that makes no difference at all. You know i'm outcome orientated.

If you don't want people to get hurt, don't vote for the guy who runs on the premise of hurting people (i.e. brown and black people). He scapegoated the hell out of minorities in 2016 (and actually all his adult life!!!). Don't tell me you never picked up on that - i know you are not stupid.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #6020 on: July 24, 2020, 07:56:40 PM »
That’s why I voted for Kasich in the Primary.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6021 on: July 25, 2020, 04:07:38 AM »

blumenkraft

« Reply #6022 on: July 25, 2020, 11:56:17 AM »
Here are two must-read articles:

What You Need To Know About The Battle of Portland

Link >> https://www.bellingcat.com/news/americas/2020/07/20/what-you-need-to-know-about-the-battle-of-portland/

Oregon And The Trump Mayhem Circus

Link >> https://terikanefield-blog.com/oregon-and-the-trump-mayhem-circus/

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6023 on: July 27, 2020, 12:02:39 AM »
Trump Is Putting On a Show in Portland
https://www.defenseone.com/ideas/2020/07/trump-putting-show-portland/167203/

The president is deploying the kind of performative authoritarianism that Vladimir Putin pioneered.

The very idea seems, on the face of it, sheer madness. In Portland, Oregon, federal security officers dressed for combat—wearing jungle-camouflage uniforms with unclear markings, carrying heavy weapons, using batons and tear gas—are patrolling the streets, making random arrests, throwing people into unmarked vans.

Unsurprisingly, these troops are making rudimentary mistakes. Instead of working with local leaders, they have antagonized them. Instead of coaxing people to go home, their behavior has caused more people to come out onto the streets. Instead of calming the situation, they are infuriating people. They have escalated the violence. They have made the situation worse.

... Welcome to the world of performative authoritarianism, a form of politics that reached new heights of sophistication in Russia over the past decade and has now arrived in the United States. Unlike 20th-century authoritarianism, this 21st-century, postmodern influence campaign does not require the creation of a total police state. Nor does it require complete control of information, or mass arrests. It can be carried out, instead, with a few media outlets and a few carefully targeted arrests.

... The chaos in Portland is not an accident. The chaos is the point.

The chaos is also a tactic, and now it will be put to use. Now that it has been deliberately escalated, the violence will provide pictures, footage, video clips, and other material for Trump’s media supporters, and eventually for his campaign advertisements. On Fox News, Sean Hannity has already denounced Portland as a “war zone.” Tucker Carlson has spoken of protesters as “mobs” who keep liberal Democrats in power. The next stage will implicate Joe Biden in this same story: The president’s aides have told journalists that Biden, if he wins, will “allow left-wing fascists to destroy America.” Protesters, mobs, chaos, fascists, the left, the “Dems”, Biden—they’re all one narrative. The Trump administration will show people pictures of its uniformed troops pushing back against them, restoring order with a strong hand. And it will use the kind of language that appeals to that part of the population that prizes safety over all else.

Students of modern dictatorship will find these tactics wearily familiar. Russian President Vladimir Putin, whom Trump admires, has deployed performative authoritarianism, alongside other tools, in order to keep himself in power for many years now. ... Russian state television showed scenes of violence over and over again—scenes that Putin himself had helped create, first by encouraging the former Ukrainian president to shoot at demonstrators, and then by invading the country. He sent troops in unmarked uniforms—the infamous “little green men”—into Crimea and eventually eastern Ukraine to “dominate” the situation, to use Trump’s own word for his tactics in Portland. Or at least that was the way it was meant to look on TV.

... Just this week, Trump’s official Facebook page published an advertisement purporting to show yet another scene of American urban violence. The slogan reads public safety vs chaos & violence, and the ad contrasts a photograph of a somber, concerned Trump with another showing demonstrators pummeling a police officer. But the latter image was not taken in Portland. Sourced from the internet, it was taken in … Ukraine. In 2014. In the ad, which is attributed to Evangelicals for Trump, the insignia on the officer’s shoulder includes a Ukrainian Orthodox cross.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53500610

The Big Lie

Image of protesters in Kyiv, Ukraine taken on Feb.18, 2014

--------------------------------

Trump Is Determined to Split the Country in Two
https://www.defenseone.com/politics/2020/07/trump-determined-split-country-two/167209/
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 01:29:20 AM by vox_mundi »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6024 on: July 27, 2020, 12:08:05 AM »
From Office of Strategic Services: Hitler's Psychological Profile: pg. 46
https://www.cia.gov/library/readingroom/docs/CIA-RDP78-02646R000600240001-5.pdf

His Primary Rules Were:

-  Never allow the public to cool off;

- Never admit a fault or wrong;

- Never concede that there may be some good in your enemy;

- Never leave room for alternatives;

- Never accept blame;

- Concentrate on one enemy at a time and blame him for everything that goes wrong;

- People will believe a big lie sooner than a little one; and

- If you repeat it frequently enough people will sooner or later believe it.

Sound familiar?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 01:25:16 AM by vox_mundi »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #6025 on: July 27, 2020, 03:17:23 PM »
Are the last two of the rules actually true?

blumenkraft

« Reply #6026 on: July 27, 2020, 03:40:51 PM »
The last one is true indeed. If it wasn't true, marketing wouldn't be an economic sector at all.

The second last is also true for a lot of people. If it wasn't true, there would be no spam emails.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #6027 on: July 28, 2020, 04:23:05 PM »
When will white evangelicals wake up to the fact that their support of Trump amounts to Satan worship?
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

blumenkraft

« Reply #6028 on: July 28, 2020, 05:32:04 PM »
The moment their leaders tell them.

blumenkraft

« Reply #6029 on: July 28, 2020, 06:16:44 PM »
BTW, Wili, this might be of interest to you:

Why White Evangelicals Worship at the Altar of Donald Trump w/ Sarah Posner

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6030 on: July 28, 2020, 06:25:48 PM »
Thanks, bk. I was just listening to a radio program with the author of this book: Jesus and John Wayne: How White Evangelicals Corrupted a Faith and Fractured a Nation

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/23/881992622/jesus-and-john-wayne-explores-christian-manhood-and-how-belief-can-bolster-trump?refresh=true
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 06:32:18 PM by wili »
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

blumenkraft

« Reply #6031 on: July 28, 2020, 06:38:22 PM »
Thanks for the link, Wili.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #6032 on: July 29, 2020, 03:29:32 AM »
"A copy of the lyrics..." -- F Zappa

Methinks one of the presently most uninteresting conundrums of U.S. constitutional law is "Kurt Gödel's Loophole". ;D ... Forget about the potential self-referentiality of Article 5 and Gödelian problems of logic and finite axiomatic systems, w#nkerz... --- The present problem is about the step-by-step ((Early Buddhist) Pali: Khane, khane...) dissolution of civilizational structure by the acid of mental corruption [caught in the feed-back loop with Reality Herself {Heideggerian terminus deleted} --- ], plus: the inertia of fossil-financial compound interest; and ... ???
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"Вчи українську це тобі ще знадобиться" ~ Internet

blumenkraft

« Reply #6033 on: August 01, 2020, 09:57:36 PM »
The US always checked a lot of those bullet points. The demon sperm POTUS completed the list.

The 14 characteristics of fascism:

Political scientist Dr. Lawrence Britt recently wrote an article about fascism ("Fascism Anyone?," Free Inquiry, Spring 2003, page 20). Studying the fascist regimes of Hitler (Germany), Mussolini (Italy), Franco (Spain), Suharto (Indonesia), and Pinochet (Chile), Dr. Britt found they all had 14 elements in common. He calls these the identifying characteristics of fascism. The excerpt is in accordance with the magazine's policy.

The 14 characteristics are:

Powerful and Continuing Nationalism
Fascist regimes tend to make constant use of patriotic mottos, slogans, symbols, songs, and other paraphernalia. Flags are seen everywhere, as are flag symbols on clothing and in public displays.

Disdain for the Recognition of Human Rights
Because of fear of enemies and the need for security, the people in fascist regimes are persuaded that human rights can be ignored in certain cases because of "need." The people tend to look the other way or even approve of torture, summary executions, assassinations, long incarcerations of prisoners, etc.

Identification of Enemies/Scapegoats as a Unifying Cause
The people are rallied into a unifying patriotic frenzy over the need to eliminate a perceived common threat or foe: racial , ethnic or religious minorities; liberals; communists; socialists, terrorists, etc.

Supremacy of the Military
Even when there are widespread domestic problems, the military is given a disproportionate amount of government funding, and the domestic agenda is neglected. Soldiers and military service are glamorized.

Rampant Sexism
The governments of fascist nations tend to be almost exclusively male-dominated. Under fascist regimes, traditional gender roles are made more rigid. Opposition to abortion is high, as is homophobia and anti-gay legislation and national policy.

Controlled Mass Media
Sometimes to media is directly controlled by the government, but in other cases, the media is indirectly controlled by government regulation, or sympathetic media spokespeople and executives. Censorship, especially in war time, is very common.

Obsession with National Security
Fear is used as a motivational tool by the government over the masses.

Religion and Government are Intertwined
Governments in fascist nations tend to use the most common religion in the nation as a tool to manipulate public opinion. Religious rhetoric and terminology is common from government leaders, even when the major tenets of the religion are diametrically opposed to the government's policies or actions.

Corporate Power is Protected
The industrial and business aristocracy of a fascist nation often are the ones who put the government leaders into power, creating a mutually beneficial business/government relationship and power elite.

Labor Power is Suppressed
Because the organizing power of labor is the only real threat to a fascist government, labor unions are either eliminated entirely, or are severely suppressed .

Disdain for Intellectuals and the Arts
Fascist nations tend to promote and tolerate open hostility to higher education, and academia. It is not uncommon for professors and other academics to be censored or even arrested. Free expression in the arts is openly attacked, and governments often refuse to fund the arts.

Obsession with Crime and Punishment
Under fascist regimes, the police are given almost limitless power to enforce laws. The people are often willing to overlook police abuses and even forego civil liberties in the name of patriotism. There is often a national police force with virtually unlimited power in fascist nations.

Rampant Cronyism and Corruption
Fascist regimes almost always are governed by groups of friends and associates who appoint each other to government positions and use governmental power and authority to protect their friends from accountability. It is not uncommon in fascist regimes for national resources and even treasures to be appropriated or even outright stolen by government leaders.

Fraudulent Elections
Sometimes elections in fascist nations are a complete sham. Other times elections are manipulated by smear campaigns against or even assassination of opposition candidates, use of legislation to control voting numbers or political district boundaries, and manipulation of the media. Fascist nations also typically use their judiciaries to manipulate or control elections.

Link >> https://www.ratical.org/ratville/CAH/fasci14chars.html

bluice

« Reply #6034 on: August 02, 2020, 11:36:21 PM »
Fully agree Blum. The final straw is Trump wanting to “postpone” the election AND questioning the integrity of the electoral process which may lead to all sorts of mayhem should he lose. Is Trump going to concede a loss in November? How about his supporters? Trump truly ticks lot of boxes on the fascist inquiry.

Even more worryingly, fascism is also gaining ground on other major nations. Putin’s Russia and Erdogan’s Turkey tick every single box. India is not far behind. Neither is Brazil. In the EU we have Hungary and Poland & many large populist/fascist parties in other member states.

Rod

« Reply #6035 on: August 03, 2020, 02:25:26 AM »
I stay away from the political threads. I’m posting once and never again. I’m not sure if this is the right thread to post on, but it seems to address the issue that I thought was important.

I live in Indiana in the Midwest US. For those who do not know, that is Mike Pence’s home state. 

I have two high school aged children and one middle school age child.

The interesting thing that I wanted to post is that every kid I know thinks the American flag is a racist symbol. 

The republicans are trying to “make America great again,” but they are making the youth hate America.

I don’t know what you guys will make of that, but in middle America which is a Trump stronghold the kids hate him and our country. 

EDIT: I should also add that none of the kids I know in our town will ever stand for the National Anthem. Again, I wonder what Trump and the GOP think they are accomplishing. The old people might like them, but they will be dead soon.  The youth hate them and they are turning the youth so far away from their message that none of their agenda stands a chance of lasting more than a small number of years.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 02:34:25 AM by Rod »

blumenkraft

« Reply #6036 on: August 03, 2020, 07:53:21 AM »
Thank you, Rod, for that comment.

Yes, the kids might be young, but they are not stupid.

Kids today are, by default, internationalists. They grow up with friends on the internet from all over the world. They see that their country is different. And not in a good way different. They don't watch FoxNews/MSNBC all day, so the indoctrination and brainwashing dosen't work for them.

They see that other countries, poorer countries even, have things like 6 weeks vacation, universal health care, free education, a welfare safety net, etc and they want that in the US as well. Of course they do.

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #6037 on: August 03, 2020, 12:46:04 PM »
Fully agree Blum. The final straw is Trump wanting to “postpone” the election AND questioning the integrity of the electoral process which may lead to all sorts of mayhem should he lose. Is Trump going to concede a loss in November? How about his supporters? Trump truly ticks lot of boxes on the fascist inquiry.

Even more worryingly, fascism is also gaining ground on other major nations. Putin’s Russia and Erdogan’s Turkey tick every single box. India is not far behind. Neither is Brazil. In the EU we have Hungary and Poland & many large populist/fascist parties in other member states.

Trump needs to lose so thoroughly and completely that he's left without a leg to stand on.  The funny thing is, delay (even if it was possible, which seems unlikely) really isn't in his electoral interests. Young people coming of age to vote are thoroughly turned off to him and his mesage, as has been commented on; and the coming post-COVID recession isn't likely to boost his chances either.

bluice

« Reply #6038 on: August 03, 2020, 04:41:31 PM »
I don’t think Trump aims to delay elections per se. He wants to challenge the results and stay in power.

An extremely low turnout, large enough problems in mail voting or unlikely election results would create reasonable doubt the election wasn’t fair. This doesn’t have to be nationwide - certain key states will suffice.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6039 on: August 03, 2020, 04:59:53 PM »
"I don’t think Trump aims to delay elections"

????

Then why the hell did he say he was thinking of doing exactly that?

But yes, he certainly wants to also discredit the elections. Of course, if he were (even appear to) win, all of his doubts would somehow magically vanish. Basically the same playbook as last time, but on steroids and with even higher stakes.

He also want to distract the news cycle from the disastrous economic numbers that just came out...

In other news:

https://www.rawstory.com/2020/08/neuroscientist-explains-why-christian-evangelicals-are-wired-to-believe-donald-trumps-gaslighting-lies/

Neuroscientist explains why Christian evangelicals are wired to believe Donald Trump’s gaslighting lies

One reason Trump supporters believe his lies comes from a basic fact about the brain: it takes more mental effort to reject an idea as false than to accept it as true. In other words, it’s easier to believe than to not.

So basically, they're just too lazy to bother to think for themselves?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 05:16:36 PM by wili »

bluice

« Reply #6040 on: August 03, 2020, 07:34:16 PM »
I meant delaying the elections is not Trump’s goal in itself. His goal is not to lose an election, no matter what.

Democratic elections is a social construct. It basically requires two things to work. First, all parties need to trust the election process is fair and equal. Second, everybody is committed to respect the result, and also trusts the opponent to do so.

Trump is now questioning the first point.  Is he going to respect the result in case he loses?

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 1260
« Reply #6041 on: August 03, 2020, 11:51:07 PM »
Trumpty dumpty the moron just said he's gonna buy "cheap drugs" from Canada. Maybe he can share a ride with Bernie "the communist"?  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

blumenkraft

« Reply #6042 on: August 05, 2020, 01:43:45 PM »

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6043 on: August 05, 2020, 05:43:15 PM »
Hilarious. I was viewer #7. Who is Jochen Spalding? :D
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt

blumenkraft

« Reply #6044 on: August 05, 2020, 06:00:28 PM »
That would be me, Martin. ;)

Thanks for subscribing BTW. Not original content though. I only uploaded it to my channel because it wasn't on Youtube before.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6045 on: August 05, 2020, 06:17:19 PM »
Three cheers for Captain Spalding!

blumenkraft

« Reply #6046 on: August 05, 2020, 06:35:02 PM »
Spaulding is a fake Spalding. Spalding is Scottish. !!  ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Spalding

But that's a cool song! Thanks for sharing, Wili.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6047 on: August 06, 2020, 04:51:16 AM »
Most of the Last Mohicans here possibly missed another moment of glory in "mainstream media".

So, this very night Rachel Maddow pulled a thread regarding the emoluments clause with yet another of her historic interviews...

Then Sen. Blumenthal interviewed by Ali Velshi...

Let the fun resume :)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3589
  • Likes Given: 3940
« Reply #6048 on: August 06, 2020, 09:08:55 AM »
Rod, thanks for sharing the information about the kids. What can I say, maybe there is hope.

Pmt111500

« Reply #6049 on: August 09, 2020, 01:37:19 PM »
Now you can show your support for Mount Rushmore getting a fifth face.

https://www.change.org/p/donald-trump-put-donald-trump-s-face-on-mount-rushmore

I don't know who this Trump guy is, he looks a bit like Drumpf, so maybe el presidente will allow this. But I also believe it's for dead people only, so he would have to die first.