Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1473803 times)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #4550 on: July 23, 2018, 07:24:29 PM »
Trump’s Tax Cut Hasn’t Done Anything for Workers
Wages were supposed to rise. Instead, they’ve fallen.

Yes ..... what a BIGLY surprise.  ;)  Next thing you know, we'll be hearing that Mexico ISN'T going to be paying for the wall.  Shocking .....

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2018-07-18/trump-s-tax-cut-hasn-t-done-anything-for-workers
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4551 on: July 23, 2018, 10:34:42 PM »
Trump considering revoking ex-Obama officials' clearance

A couple things to remember:

1)  Donnie wants what Vladi already has.  So this isn't surprising that Donnie would take a step towards trying to silence, or at least retaliate against his detractors.  Donnie will CONTINUE to take these kind of steps AS LONG AS REPUBLICANS CONTINUE TO SIT ON THEIR HANDS.

2)  Pressure kills.  This is another mistake by Trump.  In a way ..... I guess he really has NO CHOICE.  But this choice will push some Republicans closer towards speaking out against him.  Donnie is SOOOO GUILTY ...... AND IN SO MANY DIFFERENT WAYS .....  Expect Donnie to continue to "cull" (cut back) his "circle of confidants".  It will continue to get TIGHTER AND TIGHTER (and fewer and fewer) as he continues to spiral out of control.  Hitler did the same thing ...... so did Nixon. 

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-considering-revoking-ex-obama-officials-clearance/ar-BBL0siN?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=iehp

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #4552 on: July 23, 2018, 10:44:20 PM »
A somewhat depressing interpretation of Trump's persistent support from his base:
What liberals (still) get wrong about Trump's support
After each outrage, progressives believe supporters will drain away. On the contrary: he is giving them what they want

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/23/liberals-donald-trump-support

"tax-cut advocates, religious evangelicals and Catholics, gun rights supporters and business types eager for deregulation. Trump has made sure to give each faction what they most desire just like any good politician would. That keeps them in his camp even as the media flays him with each supposed transgression."

Sigh.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #4553 on: July 24, 2018, 12:43:08 AM »
After each outrage, progressives believe supporters will drain away. On the contrary: he is giving them what they want

And of course, liberal hysteria helps as well. I can sympathize with that, after watching the idiocy over the Trump-Putin meeting.  ::)

Actually, it did make the news. You are so ready to condemn Democrats you won't pay attention to what mainstream news reports, unless it's on one of those fringe sources you prefer.

Thanks for acknowledging that mainstream news has become for Democrats what Fox is for Republicans?

But seriously, where did it appear on the news, how was it framed, how long did the segment last? And more importantly, why is everybody fine with the collusion with Israel and Saudi Arabia?

So, Russiagate could indeed end in a hot war - but not with Russia, as Neven et al. were suggesting in these threads some time ago. (Rachel Maddow a warmonger - hahaaaahahahaha...)

Yes, sadly, Rachel Maddow is a warmonger now. She has become Sean Hannity's mirror image. It's painful to watch.

But if you would watch The Real News Network more often, you'd see some analysis explaining that Trump might be cosying up to Putin, so he won't interfere when they go for 'regime change' in Iran (as nutcase neocons like Bolton and Pompeo want). But who wants analysis when you can have Trump!-Russia!-Trump!-Russia!-Trump!-Russia! 24/7?

Trump is the best thing corporate media could have wished for, which is probably why they gave him billions of dollars of free media during the election (as suggested by Hillary's campaign team). Re-election would probably be for the best.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Martin Gisser

« Reply #4554 on: July 24, 2018, 03:33:45 AM »

And of course, liberal hysteria helps as well. I can sympathize with that, after watching the idiocy over the Trump-Putin meeting.  ::)

Actually, it did make the news. You are so ready to condemn Democrats you won't pay attention to what mainstream news reports, unless it's on one of those fringe sources you prefer.

Thanks for acknowledging that mainstream news has become for Democrats what Fox is for Republicans?

But seriously, where did it appear on the news, how was it framed, how long did the segment last? And more importantly, why is everybody fine with the collusion with Israel and Saudi Arabia?

So, Russiagate could indeed end in a hot war - but not with Russia, as Neven et al. were suggesting in these threads some time ago. (Rachel Maddow a warmonger - hahaaaahahahaha...)

Yes, sadly, Rachel Maddow is a warmonger now. She has become Sean Hannity's mirror image. It's painful to watch.

(my emph'ed emph.)

Have you ever seriously watched TRMS??? Me European am currently watching live (and for free) with my evening (3 am + ) beer. She's besting herself in fast talking, reciting Manafort trial transcripts. Too fast for the average 'Merrican (and triggering the redneck's anti-intellectual animus...(and heck she's sooo lesbo)). Too fast for me right now (evening beer). But fucken too fast for you, Neven (language genius)????

It seems a lot of "progressive" 'Merricans (useful idiots) only know her show second hand, from the fire and brimstone spewed by her "progressive" non-competitors (angry pseudo-intellectuals like Dore or Maté and other young turkeys)... Neven, I can't evade the impression you also are a "useful idiot" (a technical term) -- I'm not yet thinking you are a Russian asset...

You won't get more detail (court transcripts etc.) on any other news show, mainstream or progressive (not even Amy Goodman, who is progressive without scare quotes). Is that fucken too real and fact based?

Comparing TRMS with Hannity is preposterousness astro-squared.

Once again wading knee deep in the psychopathology of denial (here: shooting the messenger)... Oh poor Homo S Sapiens...
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 04:12:13 AM by Martin Gisser »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4555 on: July 24, 2018, 05:35:45 AM »
Re: "Rachel Maddow is a warmonger now"

I think she finds that warmongering increases ratings right now.  That might change.

sidd

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4556 on: July 24, 2018, 08:18:56 AM »
The White House is looking into revoking the security clearances of former CIA, FBI and ODNI chiefs, arguing that their “baseless accusations” against President Donald Trump amount to monetizing and misusing the privilege.

Former CIA directors John Brennan and Michael Hayden, former Director of National Intelligence James Clapper and former FBI Director James Comey are among the names considered, White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said on Monday. Security clearances of former deputy FBI director Andrew McCabe and Susan Rice, former national security adviser to President Barack Obama, are also under consideration.

Briefing room audibly gasped when @PressSec said POTUS is looking into pulling the security clearances of Brennan, Clapper, Comey, Hayden, Rice, and McCabe
    — Saagar Enjeti (@esaagar) July 23, 2018

News about this is everywhere. Choose your own source.

It's mostly about showing "whose boss" but seriously- why do they even get to keep the the clearance after they are out of the position ?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #4557 on: July 24, 2018, 10:49:40 AM »
She's besting herself in fast talking, reciting Manafort trial transcripts.

Wow, the Manafort trial transcripts, how very exciting. Too bad I'm not an American working three jobs so that I can feed my kids junk food, and hope my car doesn't break down because I never have more than $500 in my bank account. Nothing better than an out-of-touch millionaire reading trial transcripts to distract you a bit from real life. ::)

But I used to be a Rachel Maddow fan too. Trump has brought out a lot of stuff people didn't know they had in them. I thought all we had to do to solve AGW, was beat the climate risk deniers.

I think she finds that warmongering increases ratings right now.  That might change.

Yes, that would be more accurate. Anything that keeps the froth going. It'll be interesting to see how many trial transcripts she can ultra-fast-read in the coming six years and whether that will boost ratings (read: salary) even higher.

Neven, I can't evade the impression you also are a "useful idiot" (a technical term) -- I'm not yet thinking you are a Russian asset...

We are all useful idiots, hence the state of the world (have you voted on this one yet?). As for Russian asset, I did read quite a bit of Tolstoy and Dostoevsky in the past, and just a few months ago I read Zamyatin's We, which, unfortunately, only reinforced my mindset.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 10:56:10 AM by Neven »
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #4558 on: July 24, 2018, 11:05:26 AM »
The more interesting stuff (did Buddy write that Trump tweet?  ;) ):

The enemy is within

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #4559 on: July 24, 2018, 11:13:20 AM »
And here's part two (about Netanyahu bragging about successful collusion, and the almost invisible outcry):

What's also great about The Real News Network is that they have transcripts:

TRITA PARSI: Yes, it’s been a point of frustration for me for quite some time to see that there’s so much focus on the Russian meddling. And I’m not saying that meddling didn’t take place or that attention is not warranted. But at the same time not looking at what Israel, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE has been doing for quite some time when it comes to manipulating U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East. And here you have Bibi Netanyahu himself openly taking credit for a decision that the vast majority of the U.S. security establishment believed, including key members of the Trump administration, including the intelligence services of the U.S. government, believed would be counter to U.S. national interests.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 11:51:33 AM by Neven »
The enemy is within

E. Smith

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4560 on: July 24, 2018, 12:08:36 PM »
And here's part two (about Netanyahu bragging about successful collusion, and the almost invisible outcry):

I hate Bibi, but if he convinced Trump to withdraw from the Iran deal, how is that collusion?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #4561 on: July 24, 2018, 12:26:19 PM »
Collusion is a very broad term, but it revolves around foreign influence on US politics/policy.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4562 on: July 24, 2018, 12:53:47 PM »
Collusion is a very broad term, but it revolves around foreign influence on US politics/policy.

Actually ...... no.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/collusion

Per Webster Dictionary 
: secret agreement or cooperation especially for an illegal or deceitful purpose ·acting in collusion with the enemy

A) It wasn't a "secret".  In fact ..... the WHOLE WORLD knew that Bibi was talking with both Trump AND Kushner and trying to talk them into strong arming Iran. 

B)  For a "deceitful purpose."  Not a BAD PURPOSE ..... but an intent to deceive and/or an ILLEGAL PURPOSE.

C)  "With the enemy".  Bibi working with the US .... is NOT working with the enemy.

Example:  Let's say you have a meeting at a building in New York ..... we'll call it "the Trump building."  And you have a meeting there to get illegal information from foreign nationals about interfering with an election in the US.  So you have a secret meeting ...... at which you are doing something ILLEGAL ..... and you are trying to deceive people that you are doing something else (say .... talking about adoptions).  And collusion is working WITH THE ENEMY.  Someone like RUSSIA, North Korea, Iran.    ;)

Russia isn't DONNIE'S ENEMY ...... but the Russian Government (as opposed to the Russian people) is an enemy of the US.

Now that is collusion.....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:11:07 PM by Buddy »

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4563 on: July 24, 2018, 12:59:33 PM »

Also "influence" is a broad term. Everything one hears,says,sees or even smells is influence.
We don't know what Bibi told him, what intel he passed on or basically anything. Bibi is a big bragger so he is doing just that.

Edit:  So if Trudeau talks to Trump and convinces him to drop a tariff- is that foreign "collusion" or "influence" and would it be bad?

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #4564 on: July 24, 2018, 01:36:31 PM »

I hate Bibi, but if he convinced Trump to withdraw from the Iran deal, how is that collusion?
+1

Martin Gisser

« Reply #4565 on: July 24, 2018, 01:47:40 PM »
I thought all we had to do to solve AGW, was beat the climate risk deniers.
Nope, we have to break the global fossil industrial complex. And that's a major reason why I care about Russiagate.

Yes, that would be more accurate. Anything that keeps the froth going. It'll be interesting to see how many trial transcripts she can ultra-fast-read in the coming six years and whether that will boost ratings (read: salary) even higher.
Paranoia again. I can't imagine a less ratings oriented show. She got her ratings because she is doing a great job connecting dots and explaining stuff. (One of my all-time TRMS favorites was on the Exxon quasi-state.)

BTW, in 2012 she wrote a widely acclaimed book titled "Drift: The Unmooring of American Military Power". Maybe I should read it. But according to an Amazon review she didn't get the fossil energy connection. https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R1NHIJ3JCZIWVZ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=0307460991

Neven, I can't evade the impression you also are a "useful idiot" (a technical term) -- I'm not yet thinking you are a Russian asset...

We are all useful idiots, hence the state of the world (have you voted on this one yet?).
Voted now :) I thought the question is foolish (or perhaps it is temporal logic) and decided in that moment's whim to click "No, I'm most definitely not a fool" :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 01:54:15 PM by Martin Gisser »

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4566 on: July 24, 2018, 03:45:25 PM »

It was certainly reported.  I'm not sure there's much else to be said about it.  Netanyahu the blowhard took credit for a decision that Trump promised way back in his campaign.

Russia, Israel, Saudi, and the Gulf States all have strong interests in heightened tensions with Iran, including nixing the nuclear deal.  These players are Trumps overseas supporters--essentially his only overseas supporters.

The domestic fossil fuel producers also have an interest in the consequent spike in oil prices.

The core constituencies that brought Trump to office all benefit from nixing the deal.  It's only the entire rest of humanity that will pay the price.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #4567 on: July 24, 2018, 03:47:57 PM »
Agreed, but why would Russia have strong interest in heightened tensions with Iran?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4568 on: July 24, 2018, 03:54:06 PM »
Agreed, but why would Russia have strong interest in heightened tensions with Iran?

Heightened tensions with Iran = higher crude prices.  Exponentially so if any actual military action happens.

Energy exports is where Russia gets, what, like 80%? of it's foreign trade currency?
Putin needs better economic prosperity in Russia to stay comfortably in power.
ONLY higher oil prices can do this in the short run.  Tensions with Iran are perhaps the ONLY quick fix here for Russia.

Shoot, if the US bombs the Iranian oil infrastructure, prices will be way up for years.
Russia's economic interests here are more potent than Saudi Arabia's. 

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4569 on: July 24, 2018, 04:33:59 PM »

It was certainly reported.  I'm not sure there's much else to be said about it.  Netanyahu the blowhard took credit for a decision that Trump promised way back in his campaign.

The core constituencies that brought Trump to office all benefit from nixing the deal.  It's only the entire rest of humanity that will pay the price.
Thanks Steve,
None so blind as those who will not see.
The deal (to cancel the Iran agreement) was sealed when Sheldon Adelson ditched Ted Cruz and went full Trump.
Back during the 2016 campaign there were dozens of news reports of the close relationship between Netanyahu and the Trump organization. Sabotaging the Iran nuclear deal is and always has been the #1 issue being pushed by Israel.
I'm surprised Neven discounts the Trump/Israel connection.
You want to see crazy? How about Sheldon Adelson wants to open a casino in N. Korea!
https://www.timesofisrael.com/sheldon-adelson-sees-casino-opportunities-in-north-korea/

Neven: Putin needs better economic prosperity in Russia to stay comfortably in power.
There is nobody in Russia that could remotely challenge Putin. Even after he raised the retirement age for government benefits he still has over 66% approval. I can only imagine how fast Trump supporters would dump Trump if he tried this.
Fun fact: Russia announced last month that the state pension age would rise gradually beginning next year — from 55 to 63 for women and from 60 to 65 for men. The increase marks the first change to retirement age norms, which Soviet authorities established in the 1930s.
Nearly 60 percent of Russian men die before age 65, according to statistics. Although average Russian women can expect to live to 73, many say their employment opportunities are limited once they reach middle age.

“A significant portion of Russian citizens will not survive to retirement,” said a statement by the Confederation of Labor of Russia, a national trade union.
Science is a thought process, technology will change reality.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #4570 on: July 24, 2018, 05:02:07 PM »
Heightened tensions with Iran = higher crude prices.  Exponentially so if any actual military action happens.

Energy exports is where Russia gets, what, like 80%? of it's foreign trade currency?
Putin needs better economic prosperity in Russia to stay comfortably in power.
ONLY higher oil prices can do this in the short run.  Tensions with Iran are perhaps the ONLY quick fix here for Russia.

Shoot, if the US bombs the Iranian oil infrastructure, prices will be way up for years.
Russia's economic interests here are more potent than Saudi Arabia's. 

It's possible, though a bit simplistic. I was under the impression that Iran and Russia have been quite cosy lately:

New Yorker: Russia and Iran Deepen Ties to Challenge Trump and the United States

Not that anything is etched in stone, of course. Alliances will shift. But the bottom line and starting point of any analysis is this: Concentrated wealth wants to grow and concentrate more. Right now, one section of the US oligarchy is in the riding seat and it's adamant on taking out Iran and then fight Chinese oligarchs (until that time when they both can get their concentrated wealth to grow the same time).

This kind of stuff is discussed all the time on The Real News Network, because they're not wasting too much of their time with the Trump Distraction Circus (like fast-reading Manafort trial transcripts). Which is why they're alternative and not mainstream/corporate media.

Just from the last two weeks:

Quote from the first video:

The difficulty is if you use the American press as your navigation tool to understand what’s going on in the Middle East, you’re going to just go around in circles and then get dizzy and then fall off the ship and sink, because the American is woefully imbalanced, unaccurate, unfair, and incomplete. And biased, for the large part. With some exceptions. But for the large part the American press is not what you want to be using as your navigation tool to understand the Middle East.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 05:15:26 PM by Neven »
The enemy is within

E. Smith

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
« Reply #4571 on: July 24, 2018, 06:12:25 PM »

The difficulty is if you use the American press as your navigation tool to understand what’s going on in the Middle East, you’re going to just go around in circles and then get dizzy and then fall off the ship and sink, because the American is woefully imbalanced, unaccurate, unfair, and incomplete. And biased, for the large part. With some exceptions. But for the large part the American press is not what you want to be using as your navigation tool to understand the Middle East.

My news diet starts with C-SPAN. My DVR records about 8 shows a week. I love the morning open phone segments. Why wonder what the Federalist Society is up to when you can watch them spell it out for you.
Next I always record the local news to see what is filtered down to the avg. citizen.
PBS News Hour is the best of all the national news. They do a much better job giving coverage to the whole world (including the environment), not just myopically fixated on the US.
I check memeorandum.com to see what's trending and to discover new/obscure websites.
I have dozens of filters on Google News and Bing News but you should know how to setup just the right query. While I am a big fan of privacy and security there are times when you want to manage your online profile so you can leverage the search engines AI neural networks. Results can be very different depending on wither you are using private viewing, VPN, blocking scrips etc..

I am very cynical about the direction of most governments and by extension the social dysfunction it nurtures. On the other hand I'm very excited about technology writ large on the theory that, over time, technology can solve more problems than it creates.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4572 on: July 24, 2018, 06:58:43 PM »

Neven: Putin needs better economic prosperity in Russia to stay comfortably in power.
There is nobody in Russia that could remotely challenge Putin. Even after he raised the retirement age for government benefits he still has over 66% approval. I can only imagine how fast Trump supporters would dump Trump if he tried this.

Well, yes.  And no.  Putin has seen, close up, quite a number of seemingly rock-solid regimes swept away in surprisingly rapid turns of events.  Popular discontent being the only common denominator.

But even if Putin felt absolutely secure in his own personal situation, I think he's still a Russian patriot (in his own kleptocratic way).  I think he wants his country to prosper.  Plus, all the global influence a strong economy can bring.

Thus, I think Putin's #1 geopolitical goal is probably to raise oil prices.  Electing Trump and gutting the Iran nuclear deal both fit in well with such a goal.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4573 on: July 24, 2018, 08:19:43 PM »
Two things look like they are running out of gas:

1). Traitor Don:  Getting REALLY desperate now.  Saying the Russians want Democrats elected this November.  His lies are getting taller and taller.  He is reaching as the walls continue to close in.

2). Mr. Market:  DOW already topped out in early Feb and continues to lag.  Banks also topped out in Feb.  Banks and commodities are usually the “first to go”.

Watch Donnie’s poll numbers in coming weeks/next couple of months.  Things look dicey ....
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 08:27:52 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4574 on: July 24, 2018, 08:37:16 PM »
OK ..... maybe THREE THINGS ARE RUNNING OUT OF GAS:  ;)

Ivanka Trump’s embattled fashion brand is shutting down

Like father ...... like daughter.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/ivanka-trumps-embattled-fashion-brand-shutting-181944295.html

Chances of Donnie heading out of Dodge sometime in the coming months/year ..... 35% ... but could be heading higher in coming weeks.  Any trip to Russia or Saudi Arabia .... the odds go up during those trips.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4575 on: July 24, 2018, 08:44:43 PM »
THAT didn't take long.  His poll numbers in FiveThirtyEight.com are at the largest DIFFERENTIAL in two months (Disapprove 12% greater than Approve).  I think the BIGGEST differential to date is about 21% ..... so he has a ways to go, but things can unwind PDQuickly.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/?ex_cid=rrpromo

While it is "only" two months ..... it's the FUNDAMENTALS BEHIND THE CHART that look bad .... in conjunction with the chart itself.

Things continue to "unwind" in Donnie World ......    

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
« Reply #4576 on: July 24, 2018, 09:30:33 PM »
Two things look like they are running out of gas:

Mr. Market:  DOW already topped out in early Feb and continues to lag.  Banks also topped out in Feb.  Banks and commodities are usually the “first to go”.

With so much of the equity market concentrated in the hands of so few the stock market is not the best indicator IMO. The debt market is many times larger and it's all priced with fiat. Inconvertible paper money made legal tender by a government decree.

Latest stats:
Global debt has hit $247 trillion in the first quarter of 2018. Of that figure, the non-financial sector accounted for $186 trillion. The debt-to-GDP ratio has exceeded 318 percent.

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #4577 on: July 25, 2018, 04:41:48 AM »
I am a big fan of privacy and security.....
The mo' money ya got, the mo' privacy & security ya got. If'n ya got no money, ya got no privacy or security (no home, either). Long live the Constitution of the U.S.(United States), which is now the U.S. (Ununited States). 

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #4578 on: July 25, 2018, 04:51:14 AM »
Global debt has hit $247 trillion.....the non-financial sector accounted for $186 trillion....
Ah.... quoting my last post, "If'n ya got no money, ya got no privacy or security (no home, either)".

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: July 25, 2018, 08:17:05 AM »
THAT didn't take long.  His poll numbers in FiveThirtyEight.com are at the largest DIFFERENTIAL in two months (Disapprove 12% greater than Approve).  I think the BIGGEST differential to date is about 21% ..... so he has a ways to go, but things can unwind PDQuickly.

Each person looksm at the numbers as sees something else. On RCP he is still at 43+ with the effects of the putin stuff. Close to his highest. Don't think "THE TAPE" will make any difference.
Sadt o see how nevertrumpers are celebrating a lawyer recording his client without consent. He should be disbarred.

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4580 on: July 25, 2018, 08:17:32 AM »

Each person looks  at the numbers and sees something else. On RCP he is still at 43+ with the effects of the putin stuff stillthere . Close to his highest. Don't think "THE TAPE" will make any difference.
Sadt o see how nevertrumpers are celebrating a lawyer recording his client without consent. He should be disbarred.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 12:12:31 PM by mostly_lurking »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: July 25, 2018, 11:28:53 AM »
So who is worse?  The man who commits a crime and then lies about ... or the attorney who recorded his conversation with his client, unbeknownst to his client?

CLEARLY the perpetrator of the act is much worse.

I find the hypocrisy of those going after Michael Cohen laughable.

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4582 on: July 25, 2018, 12:13:27 PM »

CLEARLY the perpetrator of the act is much worse.

I find the hypocrisy of those going after Michael Cohen laughable.

Ummm,,, I don't know.... not exactly what the Dems said about the DNC emails....

and about the "crime" ... not sure there was one- we shall have to wait.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4583 on: July 25, 2018, 02:05:28 PM »
JackSmith4tx:

Yes ..... the US is “overleveraged”.  China is even worse.  That is why the banks in the US stock exchange started dropping in February ...... and why the Shanghai Index started dropping in 2015.

Of course ..... other “fundamentals” are at work as well.  Traitor Don’s tariffs may help push some of the world economy’s into recession mode.  Property values from Canada, Australia and the US have been softening.

Next few months we have an interesting intersection of economic and political issues.

Decision time for Congressmen/women...... and for Donnie.  Time is ticking .....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:31:52 PM by Buddy »

Pmt111500

« Reply #4584 on: July 25, 2018, 03:31:52 PM »
I hear Drumpf has forged or ordered the official scribes to forge more favorable minutes from some of his meetings. More favorable to him in his mind, I must add to avoid confusion of other participants of the meetings. I guess this is normal in Trumpistan.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: July 25, 2018, 03:36:41 PM »
Rachel Maddow had a great piece on the “disappearing” dialogue of Putin’s admission that he wanted Trump to win.  I’m mobile right now and can’t post it.  If nobody has posted it by tonight, I’ll post it later.

Donnie will be saying anything in coming weeks\months to keep his support from unraveling.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #4586 on: July 25, 2018, 03:45:41 PM »
So yes, Trump is a monster, and when he designated himself as a "stable genius," we should read this as a direct reversal of truth – he is an unstable idiot who disturbs the establishment. But as such, he is a symptom, an effect of what is wrong with the establishment itself. And the true Monster is the very establishment shocked by Trump's actions.

That's exactly it. And this true monster uses a shield of good people to protect the status quo. But simultaneously, it will get as much as it can out of the orange monster, stuff it takes the GOP and Democrats twice as long to arrange.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: July 25, 2018, 04:28:48 PM »
Russian Prostitution Ring Busted At Trump Towers, Miami:

Who would have guessed?  Next thing you know, we’ll find out that WATER IS WET. 😳

At least it gives the “evangelicals” another reason to support him. 😳

Pmt111500

« Reply #4588 on: July 25, 2018, 05:02:35 PM »
It looks like someine used a pickaxe to remove an errorenous implant on Hollywood walk of fame. I'm rather glad I don't live there, we have proper trashcans. https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/President-Donald-Trump-Star-Hollywood-Walk-Fame-Vandalized-489103611.html?cid=sm_npd_ms_tw_ma

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
« Reply #4589 on: July 25, 2018, 05:14:25 PM »
So yes, Trump is a monster, and when he designated himself as a "stable genius," we should read this as a direct reversal of truth – he is an unstable idiot who disturbs the establishment. But as such, he is a symptom, an effect of what is wrong with the establishment itself. And the true Monster is the very establishment shocked by Trump's actions.

That's exactly it. And this true monster uses a shield of good people to protect the status quo. But simultaneously, it will get as much as it can out of the orange monster, stuff it takes the GOP and Democrats twice as long to arrange.

Squirrel!
http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/398637-trump-to-stop-policy-ordering-developers-to-pay-for-damage-to

"The Trump administration is planning on ending a policy that requires oil drillers, miners and land developers to pay the government for damages its work can have on wildlife and habitats on public land."

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/398651-epa-signs-off-on-rule-exempting-farmers-from-reporting-emissions

The swine and chicken factories supply supply a large % of animal protein in our diets.
Actually we might be better off developing remote sensing and monitoring. I don't trust Big-Ag to tell the truth anyway.

But maybe just having better data won't matter either:
http://thehill.com/opinion/energy-environment/398573-trumps-epa-rule-would-censor-science-putting-public-health-at-risk

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4590 on: July 25, 2018, 05:16:12 PM »
The folks in Hollywood may want to pause before they think about replacing Traitor Don’s star.  When Mueller gets done with Donnie, people in the US will want to extract much more punishment than removing his Hollywood star. 🤯

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4591 on: July 25, 2018, 10:44:06 PM »
Trump’s worst ratings on 538.com were about 57.5 disapprove and 36.5 approve.  Donnie could get back to those abysmal readings as soon as the end of August ... 5 weeks from now.

It is now becoming clearer and clearer that he has no clothes on, and it is NOT a pretty sight.  If his poll numbers continue to tank in coming weeks ... there are going to be a LOT of nervous Congressmen backing away from Traitor Don.

Like I said:  It’s decision time Congressmen .... place your bets. 😱

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: July 26, 2018, 12:53:40 AM »
I just heard the best line/slam I have heard in a long time:

“This administration is turning into a hospice where reputations go to die.”

Ouch.  Truer words were never spoken.  Sean Spicer can’t buy a job.  Sarah Sanders continues to trash not only her own reputation, but is managing to take down her fake Christian father with her.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #4593 on: July 26, 2018, 03:20:35 AM »
Thus, I think Putin's #1 geopolitical goal is probably to raise oil prices.
Bingo!
And that's what all the "progressive" black-white babble about oligarchy = oligarchy is bullshit. That's not the real news. It is old polit crap. Sorry, Neven et al.

There's the oligarchy, and there's the oilygarchy. This is all about the last stand of the 20th century fossil fools, i.e. Trumputin's oilygarchs, and they don't mind wrecking the Planet to save their bucks. The oligarchy of the 21st century knows they need to keep the Planet to keep their business. And that's why even the most simplistic political mind should see that Trump is other than Obama or Hillary. Sigh...

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: July 26, 2018, 05:08:10 AM »
Oh boy ..... Donnie is really in trouble now.  Looks like Cohen has more than 100 tapes. 😱

But keep your eyes on Maria Butina’s trial.  NRA, RNC, and Traitor Don all in DEEP SHIT.  DEEP....

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #4595 on: July 26, 2018, 06:05:11 AM »
Thus, I think Putin's #1 geopolitical goal is probably to raise oil prices.
Bingo!
And that's what all the "progressive" black-white babble about oligarchy = oligarchy is bullshit. That's not the real news. It is old polit crap. Sorry, Neven et al.

There's the oligarchy, and there's the oilygarchy. This is all about the last stand of the 20th century fossil fools, i.e. Trumputin's oilygarchs, and they don't mind wrecking the Planet to save their bucks. The oligarchy of the 21st century knows they need to keep the Planet to keep their business. And that's why even the most simplistic political mind should see that Trump is other than Obama or Hillary. Sigh...

Perhaps other sections of the oligarchy know this, perhaps they are enlightened, gentle souls, some probably are, but their wealth doesn't care, it just wants to grow at all costs.

Never mind the discussion whether it is something for us small people to cheer for to be ruled by an invisible band of benign oligarchs who decide what the good war is. It's not so great for other small people, but they're brown, so who cares, right?

Ugly face, pretty face, same system.

Ah, if only I had the most simplistic political mind...
The enemy is within

E. Smith

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: July 26, 2018, 07:54:51 AM »
Trump’s worst ratings on 538.com were about 57.5 disapprove and 36.5 approve.  Donnie could get back to those abysmal readings as soon as the end of August ... 5 weeks from now.

It is now becoming clearer and clearer that he has no clothes on, and it is NOT a pretty sight.  If his poll numbers continue to tank in coming weeks ... there are going to be a LOT of nervous Congressmen backing away from Traitor Don.

Like I said:  It’s decision time Congressmen .... place your bets. 😱

It must feel great to live in a delusional world but at least you are having fun. His numbers are going nowhere you expect. +/- 2-3 points at the most. I also suspect that his real support is higher than most polling because of the "stigma" saying you are a trump supporter.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: July 26, 2018, 01:31:33 PM »
The approve and disapprove numbers for Traitor Don from fivethirtyeight.com as of YESTERDAY were 53% disapprove and 41.3% approve.

Donnie's all time LOW numbers are 57% disapprove and 36.5% approve.

A move of 4% (instead of 2 or 3%) and Donnie ties his all-time disapprove numbers.  He has a little more work to do on the "approve" side.... he needs a drop of 5% instead of 3% (apparently the "cutoff" for reasonable and "delusional" is 1 or 2%..... who knew it could be so small?).

Congressmen will be watching these numbers CLOSELY ..... at least the polling numbers FOR THEIR STATE.

If Donnie's numbers continue to decline in coming weeks/months ...... the Republicans are going to be in big trouble.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 01:51:17 PM by Buddy »

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: July 26, 2018, 01:35:43 PM »
The approve and disapprove numbers for Traitor Don from fivethirtyeight.com as of YESTERDAY were 53% disapprove and 41.3% approve.

Donnie's all time LOW numbers are 57% approve and 36.5% disapprove.

Got your numbers backwards?  :)

His numbers on rpc are still 43% about the highest ever.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #4599 on: July 26, 2018, 01:52:50 PM »

Donnie's all time LOW numbers are 57% approve and 36.5% disapprove.

Got your numbers backwards?  :)

His numbers on rpc are still 43% about the highest ever.
Yes. 43% after the last weeks (when even Fox news was complaining about the Trumputin summit) shows that Trump has a rock solid base that can not be shaken by anything.