Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1473976 times)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: The Trump Presidency (was "Presidential Poll")
« Reply #4600 on: July 26, 2018, 01:53:22 PM »
Got your numbers backwards?  :)

His numbers on rpc are still 43% about the highest ever.

Thanks ..... now corrected.
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Martin Gisser

« Reply #4601 on: July 26, 2018, 01:57:01 PM »
Perhaps other sections of the oligarchy know this, perhaps they are enlightened, gentle souls, some probably are, but their wealth doesn't care, it just wants to grow at all costs.
Yes. That's the curse of compound interest and of the fall of the profit rate (*). But that's not just about their wealth. The same applies to the small people's pension funds.

Here's an example of such a gentle soul:

Oligarchically :) Steyer is at the opposite end of the spectrum to the Kochtopus.
That's why I think talk of "oligarchy" in America is bullshit. Russia, however clearly is an oligarchy. Maybe I'm just splitting hairs :)

--------------
(*) A non-Marxist simple mathematical explanation of the profit rate thing:
Michael Drieschner: Risiko, Wachstum und Fall der Profitrate. In: K. M. Meyer-Abich (ed.): Physik, Philosophie und Politik. Festschrift für C. F. v. Weizsäcker zum 70. Geburtstag. München (Hanser) 1982, p. 168–177.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 02:14:59 PM by Martin Gisser »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #4602 on: July 26, 2018, 03:06:06 PM »
Yes. 43% after the last weeks (when even Fox news was complaining about the Trumputin summit) shows that Trump has a rock solid base that can not be shaken by anything.

I think they can be shaken, but definitely not by Russiagate, and not by fake leftists BS. You could try populism of the honest variety, by talking about things that affect their lives: medicare for all, free tuition, ending the wars, reining in Wall Street, clean water, putting a cap on concentrated wealth.

Russiagate will most likely lead to re-election, especially if Team Trump somehow manages to appease the other oligarchic sections and the MIC.

Here's an example of such a gentle soul:

A gentle soul indeed, but aren't you angry at how he smears Obama in the first bit of the ad?

If you can't beat Trump at the ballot two years from now, it would be really stupid to try to impeach him. So, the ad is great, except for the last 5 seconds.

Oligarchically :) Steyer is at the opposite end of the spectrum to the Kochtopus.
That's why I think talk of "oligarchy" in America is bullshit. Russia, however clearly is an oligarchy. Maybe I'm just splitting hairs :)

Okay, so Russia is an oligarchy, because all the oligarchs are on the same page. But the US isn't an oligarchy because satanic oligarchs are fighting with angelic oligarchs. That's quite a theory you have there. If concentrated wealth could laugh, it'd do so.

Martin, why do I have to be ruled by angelic oligarchs? And if I really do have to, why are they invisible to me? Why am I not told who my king is?
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4603 on: July 26, 2018, 04:43:36 PM »
Yes. 43% after the last weeks (when even Fox news was complaining about the Trumputin summit) shows that Trump has a rock solid base that can not be shaken by anything.

I think they can be shaken, but definitely not by Russiagate, and not by fake leftists BS. You could try populism of the honest variety, by talking about things that affect their lives: medicare for all, free tuition, ending the wars, reining in Wall Street, clean water, putting a cap on concentrated wealth.

Who would do this talking? The democratic party? That's a good one :) Both the Dems and GOP would never. They both like things just as they are. Only ones that will say anything of the sort are people like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and she really has no clue how capitalism works.

Edit: Oh, and Bernie of course. He had a chance- Dem's blew it.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 04:50:00 PM by mostly_lurking »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #4604 on: July 26, 2018, 05:24:00 PM »
Who would do this talking? The democratic party? That's a good one :) Both the Dems and GOP would never. They both like things just as they are. Only ones that will say anything of the sort are people like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and she really has no clue how capitalism works.

Edit: Oh, and Bernie of course. He had a chance- Dem's blew it.

Yes, this stuff is discussed in the Corporate Democrats thread.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4605 on: July 26, 2018, 08:04:36 PM »
Sniff ..... sniff ..... sniff.....  Hmmmm.  I smell something burning ......

Trump Organization Finance Chief Called to Testify Before Federal Grand Jury

https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-organization-finance-chief-called-to-testify-before-federal-grand-jury-1532622947

Guess who, in ANY SMALL ORGANIZATION like the Trump Organization, knows where ALL the bodies are buried?  The CFO.

And I would bet my bottom dollar, that an accounting manager or two...... or a finance manager or two, have ALREADY BEEN QUESTIONED.  Not only finance managers who work there NOW, but others who many have worked there in the past.

This was ALWAYS going to happen.  ALWAYS.

I detect a twitter storm is on the horizon ........

The CFO knows where ALL THE MONEY HAS GONE.  Especially in a smaller organization like the Trump org.  It is NOT a "HUGE COMPANY" like GE or anything like that, where it is easier to "hide expenditures."

Donnie ..... Donnie ..... Donnie .......  What WERE you thinking?

They ALWAYS think they can get away with it.  ALWAYS.  Enron, WorldCom, Bernie Madoff, etc ... etc... etc...  As an ETHICAL CFO, you HAVE TO HAVE ETHICS AND A STRONG BACKBONE.  I doubt that Donnies CFO is ethical.  But he WILL want to save his ass.  This is a BIG .... BIG ... step into the grave for Donnie.

But just like Enron, WorldCom, HealthSouth, or a thousand other companies that thought they could get away with fraud .... THEY DON'T.  And it ALWAYS leads back to the Chief Financial Officer.  ALWAYS. 

Now Donnie is going to have to worry about the CFO ..... for both federal as well as state (New York, New Jersey, Virginia) charges.  Chances are, the CFO will likely get charged with some nasty stuff ..... and yes ...... then roll over on Donnie like an Arkansas pig.

Donnie ..... Donnie ..... Donnie .....

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 279
« Reply #4606 on: July 26, 2018, 09:13:02 PM »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4607 on: July 27, 2018, 05:08:28 AM »
Well ..... there goes Traitor Don’s statement of “no collusion”.   This is REALLY going to get ugly now.  Some of the Trump supporters will NEVER leave Donnie .... but there is a significant portion of them that WILL leave him in coming days/weeks/months. 

Now the TRAITOR and TREASON tags will be bandied about BY CONGRESSMEN in coming weeks to describe Trump.

That DAMN TRUTH .... he NEVER leaves!  He just hangs out till enough people discover him.

Pmt111500

« Reply #4608 on: July 27, 2018, 07:08:56 AM »
I wonder if White House (WH) is currently referred as WTFH among the democratic countries. Would be ok.
How do you know what Drumpf signed in Helsinki as he doesn't know russian? Is Ivanka now a russian?
It's common to add zeros to the cents portion with businessmen like him. 250.000$ looks a lot better than 250$, so you might as well try.

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4609 on: July 27, 2018, 09:06:27 AM »
Sniff ..... sniff ..... sniff.....  Hmmmm.  I smell something burning ......

You are exerting yourself too much. You are worrying me.
I'll repeat. Trump will not be impeached. Take it easy.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4610 on: July 27, 2018, 09:25:15 PM »
Your man in the Oval Office AND your Republican Party at work:

Business tax payments plunge, while workers pay more

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/business-tax-payments-plunge-workers-pay-185504363.html

Treasury Department data for the first half of 2018 show individual income tax receipts rose 8.1%, to $915 billion. Corporate income tax receipts fell 32.4%, to $100 billion. The sharp decline in corporate tax revenue is largely a result of the tax cuts President Trump signed into law at the end of 2017, which cut the top corporate rate from 35% to 21%.

The drop in corporate tax payments isn’t surprising, since that’s exactly what the Trump tax cuts were designed to do: leave more after-tax income in corporate coffers to spur more investment. Workers got tax cuts too, but they were relatively modest. About two thirds of households got a tax cut averaging about $2,200, according to the Tax Policy Center. Taxes will rise for 6% of households, by an average of $2,800. The rest should see no change.

Try and make a re-election campaign slogan FOR the Republican Party out of that mess..... ;)

Pmt111500

« Reply #4611 on: July 28, 2018, 01:29:07 PM »
I hear Russian hacker groups are hacking and disturbing campaigns of some democrats. I believe this is normal in Trumpistan, but I wouldn't say that a free democratic country anyway, f.e. their justice system is shaky like in some third world country.

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4612 on: July 28, 2018, 05:24:14 PM »
I hear Russian hacker groups are hacking and disturbing campaigns of some democrats. I believe this is normal in Trumpistan, but I wouldn't say that a free democratic country anyway, f.e. their justice system is shaky like in some third world country.

Yes, they are all over the place.

Specifically #walkaway has been identified as a Russian troll effort. https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/heres-russia-trying-divide-democratic-party-means-november/

Of course, I'm pretty sure somebody here will weigh in to push that very troll narrative. Whether they are naive or have an agenda doesn't make any difference.

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4613 on: July 29, 2018, 07:31:41 AM »

Specifically #walkaway has been identified as a Russian troll effort. https://www.rawstory.com/2018/07/heres-russia-trying-divide-democratic-party-means-november/

Believing the #walkaway movement is a Russian plot is exactly the reason Hillary lost the election, not much different than the "deplorable" comment.

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4614 on: July 30, 2018, 01:23:39 AM »

Believing the #walkaway movement is a Russian plot is exactly the reason Hillary lost the election, not much different than the "deplorable" comment.

You don't want to believe it, so you won't. That doesn't make it not true. I provided a link and you replied by labeling me, Hillary, and Democrats (and lumping us together) according to your bias. In general, responding to personal attacks and labels intended to distract and discredit the source are not useful.  Choosing "alternative" facts doesn't work in a reality-based world. The alternative to a fact is a fiction or a deliberate untruth.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 01:32:48 AM by Susan Anderson »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4615 on: July 30, 2018, 02:00:32 AM »
Donald and Rudy continue to spiral out of control.  Rudy, lying about what he heard on the tape.  You know Rudy is digging deep when he describes something on the tape that NOBODY else hears.

And Donnie is out blasting on Twitter about his difficult relationship with Mueller (pre RussiaGate) and how Donnie turned down Mueller for the FBI position (Trump interviewed Mueller for the FBI job and the NEXT DAY Mueller was appointed Special Counsel by Rosenstein).

The “L word” (liar) is flowing freely these days in describing Trump.  I expect those lies to continue to be outrageous and continue to wear down all but the most strident Trump fans and those who are the beneficiaries of his tax cut and deregulation.  Independents, moderate Republicans, and Republicans with ethics will continue to wear down, just as they did with Nixon.

Remember when I said “this is a process”?  The process continues towards its resolution .... whether that is by resignation, removal from office, or a one way ticket to Moscow.

A lot of people’s careers and lives will be ruined by their association with Trump....

The process continues ....

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4616 on: July 30, 2018, 08:07:44 AM »

You don't want to believe it, so you won't. That doesn't make it not true. I provided a link and you replied by labeling me, Hillary, and Democrats (and lumping us together) according to your bias. In general, responding to personal attacks and labels intended to distract and discredit the source are not useful.  Choosing "alternative" facts doesn't work in a reality-based world. The alternative to a fact is a fiction or a deliberate untruth.

This is not a personal attack. I am following the walkaway stuff, have watched many of the walkaway videos and these are not Russian bots. Now it is possible the "a Russian" pushed for this to start- it would be hard to know- but the people that are actually writing the testimonials and videos are real.  It's almost like blaming the Russians for hacking the DNC and showing everyone what was going on behind the scenes. The point is IT DOESN'T MATTER if the Russians hacked it or if they started the walkaway movement. The people responding to the truth revealed are real Americans that vote.

edit:  A point on that link- it is just a another way to try to discredit the truth. Saying it is connected to "Qanon" and stuff like that is exactly the same as sites like Vox saying that the taking down of some celebrities as pedophiles is "alt-right". I myself have been called a "flat earther" because of opinions I have on totally non connected subjects. If anyone is "lumping together" it's not me.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 08:13:34 AM by mostly_lurking »

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4617 on: July 30, 2018, 09:46:51 AM »
I don't think we will know what reality WAS until along time from now just as we now see reality of history from 20 ,30, 50 years ago quite differently than they did at the time. Some "conspiracy theories" will turn out to be reality and some as lunatic ravings. Same can be said of the "main stream "truths" of today.

edit: I was commenting on a comment of Lurk which seems to be gone.

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4618 on: July 30, 2018, 10:38:37 AM »
Sorry mostly, sometimes I do a double take and decide it's better to say nothing than something.
That's fine.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4619 on: July 30, 2018, 04:30:44 PM »
What did I tell you about Team Trump moving the goalposts?  Now Rudy is changing the “tag line” from “there was no collusion” ...... to ...... “collusion isn’t a crime”.  Nice job Rudy ...... but he has now taken away Traitor Trump’s favorite line!

And while collusion isn’t a crime ..... conspiracy IS.

It is only ONE of the articles of impeachment that will be brought by the House.  Over the next couple of months Republicans that are running for office will have to make a choice:  Support a sinking ship that is going to continue to take on water as more information comes to light ...... or throw him overboard.

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4620 on: July 31, 2018, 08:00:13 AM »

It is only ONE of the articles of impeachment that will be brought by the House.  Over the next couple of months Republicans that are running for office will have to make a choice:  Support a sinking ship that is going to continue to take on water as more information comes to light ...... or throw him overboard.

I doubt anything will happen before midterms- it will look bad on the level of what Comey did with the email investigation. Saying that- once again- there will be no impeachment.

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4621 on: July 31, 2018, 09:32:01 AM »
The Rasmussen Poll for approve/disapprove of Traitor Don .... is now at its lowest approval rating (44%) since January of this year (43%).  It is also down from its high this year of 51% in March.

The "trend" is either your friend or your enemy, and right now Donnie is swimming against the tide ..... which is growing bluer and bluer by the day.

And.. it's almost 2 weeks later, the "Russia summit fiasco" is almost gone and Rasmussen is back at 47% today and most all other polls are about the same as before the summit - average still at 43% and change. Still looking for the receding tide.

edit: 48% now.

« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 03:50:10 PM by mostly_lurking »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4622 on: August 01, 2018, 12:53:59 PM »
Colonel Ralph Peters and Christine Todd Whitman (ex Governor of New Jersey and one time head of the EPA and long time Republican) become the latest to call out Trump.

Colonel Peters called out Trump for Treason.  This is the same Colonel Peters that was a contributor to FOX News until 6 - 8 months ago.  He finally had to leave FOX because he believed (and rightly so) that FOX had become a propaganda channel for the administration (his words ... not mine).  As of last night he finally has taken the next step of calling out Trump for treason.

Christine Todd Whitman called on Trump to RESIGN.  She requested this in an op ed published yesterday.

Calling my fellow Republicans: Trump is clearly unfit to remain in office
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-whitman-trump-helsinki-gop-response-20180722-story.html

This is the next step in the process.  Steve Schmidt (campaign manager for John McCain when he ran for president) was the first to call out Trump LONG AGO.  But there will now be many others that will start to speak out.  First .... those that are outside of current congressional members on the Republican side.  I expect those calls to increase significantly over coming days and weeks.  Eventually ..... this will spill into CURRENT congressional members.

The process continues ....
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 10:46:39 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4623 on: August 01, 2018, 10:52:11 PM »
GOP Rejects Adding More Money To Beef Up Election Security

https://www.yahoo.com/news/gop-rejects-adding-more-money-183642038.html

What?  You want us .... the GOP ..... to OK for more money to keep our elections honest?  Are you kidding ..... how do you think we won the White House?

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4624 on: August 02, 2018, 04:08:43 PM »
Let’s take a look at some things that I said back in February, had a good chance of happening come this fall (Sept/Oct):

1). Parkland kids remain strong.  Some people thought that the Parkland kids movement (guns and voting) would die out.  I thought they would continue strong ..... and they have indeed.  Watch Florida and Texas.

2). I thought the US stock market was ripe for a significant correction with Traitor Don at the helm.  If he continues with the tariff war, I said the S&P could sink to the 1800 - 2000 level.  I still think that is a real possibility.  That also would mean that NASDAQ could see around the 5,000 level.  Time will tell, but the pieces are coming together.  Also watch the price of oil.  If oil doesn’t hold the 62ish level for West Texas Intermediate, that would be a VERY BAD “technical” sign.

On the fundamental level for oil, we have increasing inventory at the same time that Traitor Don is ramping up tariffs ...... AND more and more people are putting off purchasing a car until they purchase an EV.  This could slow overall car sales significantly in the short run as well as metals prices, and further weaken the price of oil.

3). I said that Republicans will need to make a choice:  Get killed in the elections, or DUMP DONNIE.  The movement away from Trump has started, but it has a long way to go.  It could still “get there” as more and more info continues to come out.  Looks like the Manafort trial #1 could be over in 2-3 weeks.  That is NOT good news for Donnie.  Manafort still could cut a deal after the first trial .... and before the second trial.  I think chances of him flipping are LESS than 50/50 .... but still very possible.

I’m sure I have left something out ...... but these are the main points.

Tick ..... tick ..... tick

4). I said the Arctic ice sheet had a good chance of setting a new low, or coming close to it.  As it turns out, the GLOBAL ice level may set a new record low due to slow ice growth.  If there is a new record low in either Artic or global extent levels .... that could play a small part in some elections (think Florida and Texas).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 04:20:19 PM by Buddy »

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4625 on: August 02, 2018, 06:54:45 PM »
Chilling parallels to Mussolini's rise in Italy: Not a Moment Too Soon: Iris Origo’s War Diary https://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/not-a-moment-too-soon-iris-origos-war-diary

During the following week, she notes the Italian press’s virulent attacks on Neville Chamberlain, and the misreporting of news from England, which she follows on BBC Radio.

Later that month, she writes:

"It is now clear what form propaganda, in case of war, will take. The whole problem will be presented as an economic one. The “democratic countries,” i.e. the “Haves,” will be presented as permanently blocking the way of the “have nots” to economic expansion . . . . Fascists are thus enabled to see the impending war as a struggle between the poor man and the rich—a genuine revolutionary movement."

A man in the street says to her, “The radio has made fools of us all.” That night, at La Foce, she listens as the Italian radio denounces all the reports from anti-Fascist countries of the Italian invasion of Albania—an operation conducted by Mussolini, in 1939, in order to assert Italy’s independent power on the world stage, and to refute the idea that he was becoming Hitler’s lackey. In July, she notes that one of the most alarming symptoms of the current situation is the tendency to deny any sincerity or good faith to the opposition—it is, she thinks, a sign of naïveté, and a dangerous underestimation of the enemy’s resources.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 09:58:53 PM by Susan Anderson »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #4626 on: August 02, 2018, 11:36:52 PM »
The term 'malignant narcissist' can be used interchangeably with the term psychopath:

Title: "‘Malignant narcissist’: Why Donald Trump will never really change"

https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/books-magazines/books/malignant-narcissist-why-donald-trump-will-never-really-change/news-story/1df9cd1657b390a520b8520b616a7864

Extract: "He recently turned his bitter feud with North Korean despot Kim Jong-un into a bromance, and backflipped on separating migrant kids from their families, but US President Donald Trump still thinks he’s Teflon.

And, a leading Australian psychologist warns, signs of a softer Donald Trump may be smoke and mirrors. He may appear a little softer, says Dr Helen McGrath, but he’s still a “malignant narcissist” at heart.

“He’s not changing. Malignant narcissists can’t,” Dr McGrath says.

In 2017, a collection of 27 psychiatrists and mental health experts argued Mr Trump has malignant narcissism, publishing a book, The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump., and challenging his fitness for office.

They argued that those with the disorder were grandiose, arrogant, self-centred, ruthless and would stop at nothing to get their own way, especially if they feel cornered or threatened.

They said Mr Trump’s propensity to lie publicly, fabricate information to suit his agenda, and refuse to admit he is wrong “even when strong evidence suggests this is the case” were classic indicators of malignant NDP.

She says Mr Trump, will always believe he is “Teflon man” because the malignant narcissist personality type always believes that it is the cleverest and is always right.

“Absolutely he thinks he’s cleverer than all of us, that he’s the cleverest leader of all and ultimately this will be revealed and shown,” she says.

Equally, the malignant narcissist goes on the attack with critics, and will “lie with ease” and reshape facts to suit themselves — hence, she says, Mr Trump’s term “fake news”, for anything he doesn’t want to hear or which paints him in a less than adoring light."

&

Title: "Malignant narcissism"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malignant_narcissism

Extract: "The terms malignant narcissist and psychopath are sometimes used interchangeably because there is little to clinically separate the two. Individuals with narcissistic personality disorder, malignant narcissism, and psychopathy all display similar traits which are outlined in the Hare Psychopathy Checklist."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4627 on: August 03, 2018, 01:17:35 AM »
Hopefully none of the 27 psychiatrists who wrote "The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump" belong to the APA, or the AMA. The American Psychiatric Association's Principals of Medical Ethics specifically ruled that these activities were unethical back in 1974. The AMA, the American Medical Association concurs.
Section 7 of the APA's Principals of Medical Ethics, sometimes referred to as the "Goldwater Rule" cover these infractions.
Terry

jacksmith4tx

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Photon mine
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4628 on: August 03, 2018, 03:05:13 AM »
The American Psychiatric Association's Principals of Medical Ethics specifically ruled that these activities were unethical back in 1974. The AMA, the American Medical Association concurs.
Section 7 of the APA's Principals of Medical Ethics, sometimes referred to as the "Goldwater Rule" cover these infractions.
Terry

Heck even I know a evil genius is still a genius. Has psychiatry made any progress in the last 40+ years?
Science is a thought process, technology will change reality.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4629 on: August 03, 2018, 03:58:12 AM »

Has psychiatry made any progress in the last 40+ years?
Apparently they've regressed, at least as far as ethics go, during the last 40 years. ???
Terry

Clare

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #4630 on: August 03, 2018, 04:31:28 AM »
A friend sent me this link which I thought made some more sense cf. the earlier one!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/07/30/trump-lies-reversals-rudderless-unprincipled-leader-psychologist-column/848728002/

Clare

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4631 on: August 03, 2018, 04:35:34 AM »

Has psychiatry made any progress in the last 40+ years?
Apparently they've regressed, at least as far as ethics go, during the last 40 years. ???
Terry

Focusing on the behavior of concerned psychiatrists will not protect the world from what is almost certainly a psychopathy in the oval office.  In case you forgot at the end of WWII, Hitler thought that Germany did not deserve to survive as it failed to fulfill his will.

With Putin's probable assistance, who is going to stop Trump from becoming a wartime president (say against Iran)?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2018, 05:17:59 AM by AbruptSLR »
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4632 on: August 03, 2018, 04:56:04 AM »
A friend sent me this link which I thought made some more sense cf. the earlier one!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/07/30/trump-lies-reversals-rudderless-unprincipled-leader-psychologist-column/848728002/

Clare

Clare,

Thanks for the linked article, but that article indicates that a psychopath could not handle the pressure in the oval office; which certainly cannot be true; just read the linked answers to the question: What is a high-functioning psychopath?

Title: "What is a high-functioning psychopath?"

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-high-functioning-psychopath

Extract: "High-functioning psychopaths can often appear ‘successful’ in conventional terms. However, they inevitably leave a hidden trail of devastation behind them - cheating on their spouses, emotional abuse, irresponsible behavior etc.

Psychopaths present themselves as likeable, open, truthful and honest (a 'mask') in order to gain our trust, whilst mixing in lies and subtle disinformation. They are now manipulating us. They also create doubt and confusion until we don’t know who or what to believe, and undermine and discredit those they see as a threat with their subtle innuendos and suggestions (‘smear campaigns’).

Roughly 1% of the general population are psychopaths; 4% of top corporate personnel are psychopaths (‘Corporate psychopathy: talking the walk’, Babiak, Neumann and Hare).

A high functioning psychopath is intelligent enough to do skillful jobs such as doctor, professor, social worker, psychologist or company CEO. They lack empathy or fear and have no conscience. In this respect they are like low functioning psychopaths but there the resemblance ends.

The low functioning psychopath lacks impulse control and engages in crimes of opportunity. The high functioning psychopath is goal directed and carefully lays out and follows a decided course of action they they follow through on."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4633 on: August 03, 2018, 08:56:58 PM »
It’s pretty amazing that the Democrats have a chance of flipping .....

1). The Oval Office
2). The Senate Majority
3). The House Majority
4). The Governorship’s majority

..... ALL IN THE SAME MIDTERM YEAR ..... That would certainly be a first.

Senate is the least likely of the bunch.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 12:09:04 PM by Buddy »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4634 on: August 03, 2018, 09:10:39 PM »
Why happens when a high functioning psychopath's mental condition declines?  He loses his impulse control, and becomes a low functioning psychopath:

Title: "Former White House Aide Claims Trump Is Suffering Obvious “Mental Decline”"

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/08/omarosa-trump-suffering-mental-decline

Extract: "Trump’s original apprentice joins a chorus of alarmed doctors and Washingtonians in declaring the president unfit for office."
― Leon C. Megginson

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4635 on: August 04, 2018, 07:20:45 AM »

Focusing on the behavior of concerned psychiatrists will not protect the world from what is almost certainly a psychopathy in the oval office.  In case you forgot at the end of WWII, Hitler thought that Germany did not deserve to survive as it failed to fulfill his will.

With Putin's probable assistance, who is going to stop Trump from becoming a wartime president (say against Iran)?
Sorry, I wasn't born until 1946, and Adolph, having outlived his nemesis Franklin, and with Ivan at the door, had apparently decided he'd rather be dead than red. - I do vaguely recall an American President who thought that millions of Koreans did not deserve to survive after they had failed to fulfill his will.

As a friend and ally of Iran, President Putin might object to Trump continuing the destructive Mid-Eastern policies of every President since the Savior of Grenada's forces had been driven from Lebanon.

Terry

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4636 on: August 04, 2018, 09:31:32 PM »

Sorry, I wasn't born until 1946, and Adolph, having outlived his nemesis Franklin, and with Ivan at the door, had apparently decided he'd rather be dead than red. - I do vaguely recall an American President who thought that millions of Koreans did not deserve to survive after they had failed to fulfill his will.

As a friend and ally of Iran, President Putin might object to Trump continuing the destructive Mid-Eastern policies of every President since the Savior of Grenada's forces had been driven from Lebanon.

Terry
Of course if Putin has Trump in his pocket, and if Putin would prefer Iran as a satellite rather than an ally, then he might be very happy to standby while Trump first attacks Iran so that Putin could then step in as a savior, much as Stalin did in Poland in September of 1939.
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: August 05, 2018, 01:22:43 AM »
1). To Emma Gonzalez and David Hogg of the Parkland High survivors, and Governor Cuomo of New York ...... WELL DONE ...... the NRA is indeed on the run.

2). The Mueller investigation could well deal a death blow to the NRA.   The NRA still has not commented on the investigation and arrest of Maria Butina. 

3). The Republican National Committee is also in the sights of Mueller.  It is only a matter of time before they are held accountable of working with the Russians ......

Enjoy your time Donnie ....... ‘cause it’s running out.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:24:05 PM by Buddy »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: August 05, 2018, 04:08:11 AM »
A clear example of how a malignant narcissist thinks:

Title: "Trump believes Mueller is using Manafort trial to embarrass him: report"

http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/400413-trump-believes-mueller-is-using-manafort-trial-to-embarrass-him

― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: August 05, 2018, 04:47:56 AM »
Of course if Putin has Trump in his pocket, and if Putin would prefer Iran as a satellite rather than an ally, then he might be very happy to standby while Trump first attacks Iran so that Putin could then step in as a savior, much as Stalin did in Poland in September of 1939.

It certainly looks like the US & Russia are teaming against China & Iran:

Title: "Is Russia Facilitating Trump’s Strangulation of Iran?"

https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/08/03/is-russia-facilitating-trumps-strangulation-of-iran/

Extract: "Could it be, then, that Russia sees it as in its own interests to facilitate Trump’s quest to chase Chinese investment out of Iran in order to preserve its trade routes and access to European oil markets?"
― Leon C. Megginson

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4640 on: August 05, 2018, 07:45:28 AM »
Re: Russia collaborating against Iran

The way I see it, Iran, Russia and China, (and a great many others)  are collaborating to cut the throat of Empire.  Doing a good job, too.

sidd

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: August 05, 2018, 12:35:51 PM »
So ..... Treason Don tweets against the most popular man in the state of Ohio (Lebron James)...... before Treason Don goes to a rally in the state of Ohio ..... 3 days before a state special election in Ohio for a US House of Represenatives seat ..... that should be a cake walk for the Republicans, but is only separated by 1% in the latest poll.

Well done Donnie ..... well done.  Pressure kills .....

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: August 05, 2018, 03:44:14 PM »
So ..... Treason Don tweets against the most popular man in the state of Ohio (Lebron James)...... before Treason Don goes to a rally in the state of Ohio ..... 3 days before a state special election in Ohio for a US House of Represenatives seat ..

Well done Donnie ..... well done.  Pressure kills .....

Maybe it was stupid and... well-we'll see.
Not a word that he had 50 and +1 on the rasmuss. poll(now at 48 again)?

The Rasmussen Poll for approve/disapprove of Traitor Don .... is now at its lowest approval rating (44%) since January of this year (43%).  It is also down from its high this year of 51% in March.

The "trend" is either your friend or your enemy, and right now Donnie is swimming against the tide ..... which is growing bluer and bluer by the day.

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4643 on: August 05, 2018, 04:14:52 PM »
Re: Russia collaborating against Iran

The way I see it, Iran, Russia and China, (and a great many others)  are collaborating to cut the throat of Empire.  Doing a good job, too.

sidd

Out of the frying pan into the fire. I'm not sure I'd be eager to submit to those three any more than the western version of what you label as "empire". The reason you have the freedom to speak your mind here is because of that type of "freedom". I'd agree it's being degraded, but I wouldn't love, for example, to live in the air in China's urban centers, or work in one of their underpaid sweatshops, or be a Tibetan or live in Syria under Assad, or be a woman in Iran under conservative clerics' interpretation of Sharia law.

The US has done some awful things, but two wrongs don't make a right.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: August 05, 2018, 06:39:57 PM »
Nothing but conjecture. Where do these people get their ideas from? Certainly not from history nor reality. The narrative in this article is quite silly.

At the risk of appearing to be a conspiracist, what this lady, Sibel Edmonds, has to say about Russia going along with a Trump Admin. led plan to support an Iranian military coup against the Iranian government by December 2018, or if that fails then a direct US led military assault against Iran, seems believable to me:

Edit, see also:

Title: "Sibel Edmonds"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sibel_Edmonds

&

I note that Edmonds is something of a Deep State conspiracist, and certainly no friend of either Obama nor H. Clinton.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 07:04:25 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

Susan Anderson

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4645 on: August 05, 2018, 08:37:50 PM »
If you don't want the US to promote a "hot war" with Iran, you need to help us defeat Trump and his enablers in Congress, Republicans, not attack US democrats. Democrats are not the party of war. (No, Hillary wouldn't have promoted it; she was in line with Kerry's nuclear deal, which succeeded in removing fissile materials from Iran.)

Anyway, I don't think it's quite that bad. Netanyahu is close with Trump/Kushner, and Israel is on the warpath, but I don't think even rational Republicans or our saner military think we can have a "hot war" with Iran. Please help, don't hinder.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #4646 on: August 05, 2018, 10:56:52 PM »
The Real News network keeps churning them out:

The enemy is within

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #4647 on: August 05, 2018, 11:34:22 PM »
Some right-wingish dudes explaining things (warning, many expletives):

The enemy is within

E. Smith

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #4648 on: August 06, 2018, 01:04:05 AM »
Private discussion after worship this morning: Will "fake news" become the term used to describe serious journalism (as apposed to hack jobs like Fox)?
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: August 06, 2018, 02:52:59 AM »
Team Trump wants regime change in Iran, and its primary plan is to promote a military coup to restore ordering in a collapsing economy (due to such things as more sanctions), and its backup plan if that doesn't work by December is a major war with Iran:

Title: "Trump's next strike against Iran"

https://www.axios.com/trump-administration-iran-sanctions-nuclear-deal-d1eb8331-4334-4c7f-bb64-f096b6c6b26a.html
― Leon C. Megginson