Stein
6 (13.6%)
Trump
1 (2.3%)
Not going to vote / going to spoil ballot
4 (9.1%)

Total Members Voted: 44

Voting closed: November 26, 2016, 07:11:49 AM

Author Topic: The Trump Presidency  (Read 453226 times)

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 75
Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #5350 on: November 17, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »
From the media thread:

I think it is because Trump turned the presidency into a TV reality show.

Absolutely, and the media helped him achieve it. That's why it's so important to separate the wheat (policy) from the chaff (personality), and realize the mainstream media is not going to do it for you. Because its goals do not align with those of the majority of the American population.

To separate the wheat (policy) from the chaff (personality) is not so easy. With Trump it all blurs into some melting pot of actions.

For example (since we are on the journalism thread) the recent withdrawal of the press pass for Jim Acosta.  Was that a policy decision or a personality decision ?

That's all ratingsbait. Trump and Acosta are both assholes, creating controversy for personal gains.
 So, that's for the Political theatre/wrestling thread.

Sure enough, Trump was an asshole for revoking Acosta's WH press pass.

But what exactly did Acosta do wrong for you to call him an asshole ?
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: November 17, 2018, 09:56:14 AM »
Not sure if this is Trump policy or personality issue, but it is deeply troublesome :

To ease Turkish pressure on Saudis over killing, White House weighs expelling Erdogan foe

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/white-house-weighs-booting-erdogan-foe-u-s-appease-turkey-n933996

Trump administration officials last month asked federal law enforcement agencies to examine legal ways of removing exiled Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen in an attempt to persuade Erdogan to ease pressure on the Saudi government, the four sources said.

If true, would be double-whammy against reason and human rights :

First of all, because there is no evidence that Gulen is guilty of anything,
and secondly because it is pretty clear that the Saudis are guilty of killing journalist Khashoggi.

Trump really, really, REALLY likes the Saudis doesn't he ?

CIA concludes Saudi crown prince ordered Jamal Khashoggi’s assassination

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/cia-concludes-saudi-crown-prince-ordered-jamal-khashoggis-assassination/2018/11/16/98c89fe6-e9b2-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html?utm_term=.384c56d109c7

The CIA has concluded that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the assassination of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul last month, contradicting the Saudi government’s claims that he was not involved in the killing, ...

Trump imposes Magnitsky sactions over  17 Saudis for Alleged Involvement in Khashoggi Killing :
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/world/middleeast/saudis-sanctions-khashoggi.html

but NOT over Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.....
Let's not waste either.

litesong

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #5352 on: November 19, 2018, 02:43:01 AM »
<snip, take it to the Political theatre/wrestling thread; N.>
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 05:01:08 AM by Neven »

Buddy

• ASIF Governor
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #5353 on: November 19, 2018, 05:32:27 PM »
As Trumps economic policies continue to “bite”, the economy continues to slow:

1). Homebuilder confidence down to a 2 year low
2). Lumber and copper prices continue to slide to multi year lows
3). Houseing prices in the US continue to drop
4). House “affordability” continues to drop (which means lumber, copper, and housing prices are likely to fall further).  Note:  Australia housing prices are really getting hammered .... and Canadian housing prices are likely to drop as oil price drops bite into their economy.
5). Growing number of companies are lowering future guidance
6). FAANG stocks (Facebook. Amazon, et) have all “failed” as of late and likely have much further to go
7). Oil prices remain weak after a 25% drop in 6 weeks.  This will help soften the blow to the economy, but it is also a signal that the world economies are vulnerable right now.

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

litesong

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #5354 on: November 19, 2018, 06:43:14 PM »
<snip, take it to the Political theatre/wrestling thread; N.>
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:16:41 PM by Neven »

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #5355 on: November 20, 2018, 09:17:21 AM »
<snip, reply is in the Political theatre/wrestling thread; N.>
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:24:06 AM by Neven »
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: November 24, 2018, 09:37:24 AM »
Authoritarianism and how it relates to Trump's policies :

Let's not waste either.

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5357 on: November 27, 2018, 12:06:07 AM »
Trump needs Ohio.

"he told Barra that GM “better get back in” Ohio “soon” and assign a new product to the Lordstown, Ohio, plant that could soon be shuttered by the company."

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/418293-trump-blasts-gm-for-plans-to-idle-ohio-factory

sidd

Lurk

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #5358 on: November 28, 2018, 10:14:30 AM »
Exclusive: China envoy warns of dire consequences if U.S. hardliners hold sway

Speaking to Reuters before heading to join Chinese President Xi Jinping’s delegation at the Group of 20 summit in Buenos Aires, Cui Tiankai said China and the United States had a shared responsibility to cooperate in the interests of the global economy.

Asked whether he thought hardliners in the White House were seeking to separate the closely linked U.S. and Chinese economies, Cui said he did not think it was possible or helpful to do so, adding: “I don’t know if people really realize the possible consequences - the impact, the negative impact - if there is such a decoupling.”

He drew parallels to the tariff wars of the 1930s among industrial countries, which contributed to a collapse of global trade and heightened tensions in the years before World War Two.

“The lessons of history are still there. In the last century, we had two world wars, and in between them, the Great Depression. I don’t think anybody should really try to have a repetition of history. These things should never happen again, so people have to act in a responsible way.”

with 12 mins video i'view
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trade-china-exclusive/exclusive-china-envoy-warns-of-dire-consequences-if-us-hardliners-hold-sway-idUSKCN1NW2AQ

Why does almost everyone else in the geopolitical world sound like such adults when compared to what gets said by the American Govt it's loyal cronies & think tank gurus?
American journalist Walter Lippmann observed, “Where all think alike, no one thinks very much!”

Ned W

« Reply #5359 on: November 28, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »
I generally stay out of all the politics-related threads here, but this interview yesterday made me want to throw my laptop out the window ... so of course I had to post it here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/11/27/president-trumps-full-washington-post-interview-transcript-annotated/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.087ef02b6bc5

"And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small."   ::)

"One of the problems that a lot of people like myself — we have very high levels of intelligence, but we’re not necessarily such believers."   ::)  No, actually, Mr Trump, you're an idiot.

"There is movement in the atmosphere. There’s no question."  ::)

"I was watching the firemen, and they’re raking brush — you know the tumbleweed and brush, and all this stuff that’s growing underneath. It’s on fire, and they’re raking it, working so hard, and they’re raking all this stuff. If that was raked in the beginning, there’d be nothing to catch on fire."  ::)

DAWSEY: You said yesterday when you were leaving that you were skeptical of a climate change report that the government had done. Can you just explain why you're skeptical of that report?

TRUMP: One of the problems that a lot of people like myself — we have very high levels of intelligence, but we’re not necessarily such believers. You look at our air and our water, and it’s right now at a record clean. But when you look at China and you look at parts of Asia and when you look at South America, and when you look at many other places in this world, including Russia, including — just many other places — the air is incredibly dirty. And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small. And it blows over and it sails over. I mean, we take thousands of tons of garbage off our beaches all the time that comes over from Asia. It just flows right down the Pacific, it flows, and we say where does this come from. And it takes many people to start off with.

Number two, if you go back and if you look at articles, they talked about global freezing, they talked about at some point the planets could have freeze to death, then it’s going to die of heat exhaustion. There is movement in the atmosphere. There’s no question. As to whether or not it’s man-made and whether or not the effects that you’re talking about are there, I don’t see it — not nearly like it is. Do we want clean water? Absolutely. Do we want clean air to breathe? Absolutely. The fire in California, where I was, if you looked at the floor, the floor of the fire, they have trees that were fallen, they did no forest management, no forest maintenance, and you can light — you can take a match like this and light a tree trunk when that thing is laying there for more than 14 or 15 months. And it’s a massive problem in California.

DAWSEY: So you’re saying you don’t see the —

TRUMP: Josh, you go to other places where they have denser trees — it’s more dense, where the trees are more flammable — they don’t have forest fires like this, because they maintain. And it was very interesting, I was watching the firemen, and they’re raking brush — you know the tumbleweed and brush, and all this stuff that’s growing underneath. It’s on fire, and they’re raking it, working so hard, and they’re raking all this stuff. If that was raked in the beginning, there’d be nothing to catch on fire. It’s very interesting to see. A lot of the trees, they took tremendous burn at the bottom, but they didn’t catch on fire. The bottom is all burned but they didn’t catch on fire because they sucked the water, they’re wet. You need forest management, and they don’t have it.

gerontocrat

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 359
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #5360 on: November 28, 2018, 10:36:27 PM »

"And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small."   ::)

"One of the problems that a lot of people like myself — we have very high levels of intelligence, but we’re not necessarily such believers."   ::)  No, actually, Mr Trump, you're an idiot.

"There is movement in the atmosphere. There’s no question."  ::)
Two more years of this, possibly six.

Ned, you will need something less expensive to throw out the window.

Who will write the book of the best of these gifts to humanity-  " Trump's Little Big Red Book", the guide to running ruling the most powerful country in the world.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: November 29, 2018, 12:00:50 AM »
Trump threatens to declassify as response to putative Democratic Congress investigations:

"he could declassify FISA warrant applications and other documents from Robert Mueller’s probe — and predicted the disclosure would expose the FBI, the Justice Department and the Clinton campaign as being in cahoots to set him up"

But with a caveat:

“Some things maybe the public shouldn’t see because they are so bad,” Trump said, making clear it wasn’t damaging to him, but to others. “Maybe it’s better that the public not see what’s been going on with this country.”

https://nypost.com/2018/11/28/trump-threatens-to-declassify-devastating-docs-about-democrats/

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/418776-trump-says-he-will-declassify-russia-docs-to-counter-punch-democrats

sidd

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: November 30, 2018, 05:07:13 AM »
Mmmm. Interesting. Sherrod Brown and Trump making nice and allying against GM layoffs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/29/trump-and-sherrod-brown-talk-about-general-motors-layoffs-in-ohio.html

Trump needs Ohio.

sidd

Lurk

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5363 on: November 30, 2018, 12:47:43 PM »
As the BS over the G20 meeting continues - to meet or not to meet, that is the question - finally, a sensible reasonable well considered and I think fair and accurate appraisal in response to the Russia-US problem under the Trump Presidency - from a well respected, left of center / progressive but MSM news source.

Those in US who call for detente with Russia are branded Putin’s puppets
VIDEO 25 mins in depth interview of – The Nation’s chief-editor Katrina Vanden Heuvel
https://www.rt.com/news/445216-nation-editor-inerview-rt/[/quote]

A very telling phrase was used: "the criminalization of diplomacy is dangerous".

and this this "opposition to Donald Trump should not be opposition to common sense"

"I am no fan of Trump, by any measure, ‘The Nation’ is one of his leading critics, but he is a hostage, in some ways, of these larger forces around him, whether it’s [Defense Secretary James] Mattis, or [State Secretary Mike] Pompeo, or [National Security Advisor John] Bolton."

“Trump was a shock to the American system, and I think for many Americans, particularly Democrats, I am sad to say. Instead of looking deeply into themselves and looking at their own pathologies and problems that America has, the financial crisis, the inequality, the disinformation, the dark money, the suppression of the vote, it’s easier to blame others,” she said.

Well surprise, there is at least one sane person left in the MSM of the USA. Are there any more like her is the question? How long before Twitter and Facebook ban her from their platforms? How soon before she is sacked outright or shot dead .... these are all rational logical questions to ask given the extreme situation today?

Yeah, yeah, it is from RT RT RT RT RT RT .... but the person being interviewed is no 'flake' either. She in fact speaks much good reason and common sense. It appears Neven is in very good company after all.

PS homework question: What does she think "is madness"?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 01:49:00 PM by Lurk »
American journalist Walter Lippmann observed, “Where all think alike, no one thinks very much!”

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 241
  • Likes Given: 173
« Reply #5364 on: December 01, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
Compare, compare, compare

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #5365 on: December 01, 2018, 08:10:37 PM »
Part of the swamp, hang it around his neck:

SteveMDFP

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5366 on: December 03, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »

I don't view the Trump administration here as primarily ignorant or short-sighted, but simply corrupt.  He simply gives whatever he can to those he thinks might be able to support his re-election bid, and the interests of the people be damned:

U.S. to end subsidies for electric cars, renewables: White House
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-autos/u-s-to-end-subsidies-for-electric-cars-renewables-white-house-idUSKBN1O22D4

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow said on Monday the United States will end subsidies for electric cars and other items including renewable energy sources.

Asked about actions planned after General Motors announced U.S. plant closings and layoffs last week, Kudlow said he expected subsidies for buying electric cars will end in 2020 or 2021. Kudlow said the Trump administration will end other subsidies, including on “renewables.”
-------------------------------------------------------

Exposing and eliminating such corruption is the first job for a progressive agenda.  Without clean and transparent governance, none of the other goals are attainable.

TerryM

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5367 on: December 04, 2018, 12:08:42 AM »

Exposing and eliminating such all corruption is the first job for a progressive agenda.  Without clean and transparent governance, none of the other goals are attainable.

In most so called "democracies" investing in a politician to obtain a desired result is referred to as bribery, and it can lead to felony convictions for both the briber and the bribed.
I believe that both Trump and Bernie proved in 2016 that it was possible to win at the presidential level without having a particularly deep war chest. Even in 2018 a number of the winning candidates were outspent by the loser.

As long as bribery, (legal or not) is accepted in American politics, corruption is inevitable.

The other great fear I have for democracy is AI, and that threat may prove even more pernicious away from America's shores, but I'll save that diatribe for another time.
Terry

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #5368 on: December 07, 2018, 12:19:28 AM »
This is obviously also one of the things that are good to hang around Trump's neck, but I still think that it wouldn't be wise to use it for impeachment (assuming that would happen and Mueller isn't whistled back because Trump has given the oligarchs and MIC enough of what they wanted). Kulinksi touches upon why that is, even though I don't think he would agree with me:

TerryM

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5369 on: December 07, 2018, 03:34:30 AM »
Running on a platform of Trump is bad has been the fallback since 2016. Do we continue with this flailing, if not failing program, or hit Trump (and the Republicans) where they're really vulnerable.

Universal Healthcare, costs of Education, the Environment, Reproductive rights, I think they're all more popular than trying to convince the voters that our politicians aren't as crooked as your politicians. - besides, I'm not entirely convinced that the later is true. :-[

Terry

Lurk

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5370 on: December 09, 2018, 03:18:40 PM »
US President Donald Trump has announced that chief of staff John Kelly will leave his post at the end of the year.

Former FBI Director James Comey has admitted the Steele dossier was still uncorroborated by the FBI at the time he left the bureau. The infamous dossier was used by the FBI to monitor Trump aide Carter Page.

The House Oversight Committee has released a 235-page transcript of Comey's grilling 24 hours after the former FBI director was questioned by lawmakers on the Capitol Hill.
https://judiciary.house.gov/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/Comey-interview-12-7-18_Redacted.pdf

ABU DHABI, Dec 9 (Reuters) - The United States strongly opposes discontinuing support to the Saudi-led coalition in Yemen's war and will remain engaged in efforts to combat Iranian influence and Islamist militancy in the Arab state, a State Department official said on Sunday.

Red

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5371 on: December 09, 2018, 06:22:24 PM »

The Whole World at Trump Speed

There’s speed and then there’s Trump speed: the dizzying, careening way that the president drives the Formula One car of state. Just when we’ve started to adjust to one outrage -- say, the ripping of migrant children from their mothers’ arms (a procedure that continues to this day, despite court prohibition) -- here comes another down the track. This time it’s the construction in Texas of a tent city to house immigrant children. No, wait. That was the last lap. Now, it’s the mustering of almost 6,000 troops on the border, authorized to use lethal force "if they have to" against people desperately fleeing lethal conditions in their own countries.

No, now it’s the president, like Humpty-Dumpty in Alice in Wonderland, redefining the word “rock” to mean “rifle.” During a press briefing in November, he told reporters, “They want to throw rocks at our military, our military fights back. I told them to consider it a rifle. When they throw rocks like what they did to the Mexican military and police I say consider it a rifle.”

Oops, that was the last lap, too. Now it’s the launching of tear gas grenades -- a weapon that the Geneva Conventions prohibit in actual warfare -- against a few hundred mostly peaceful migrants, including small children on Mexican, not U.S. territory. And now it’s the president blaming the decision to deploy a toxic chemical agent against unarmed people on individuals whom -- he says -- an unidentified “they” call “grabbers.” Those grabbers are apparently seizing random migrant children to use as “human shields.” Before we can absorb that bizarre contention, he follows up with a new lie: that “three Border Patrol people yesterday were very badly hurt, getting hit with rocks and stones.”

Unlike the speed of my college days, which sharpened the attention, Trump speed makes it impossible to focus on anything for very long, not when the next outrage is already heading for you at full tilt.

In ordinary times, we would have focused, at least for a while, on any one of these occurrences. There would have been space to carefully consider the unlawful practice of taking children from their parents and shipping them thousands of miles away. We could have paid more than a fleeting moment’s attention to the cruel bureaucratic incompetence that left officials unable to reunite some families because records had been lost or destroyed -- or were never kept in the first place. There would have been time to discuss the legality of deploying U.S. troops inside this country on what has essentially been a policing mission, in possible violation of the Posse Comitatus Act. We could have stopped to consider whether such a deployment might be a prelude to other domestic uses of the military under an increasingly authoritarian president.

We might even have had a moment to ask ourselves what it means that we’ve stopped being surprised by a president who consistently makes things up. Maybe it is a matter of opinion whether the caravan of refugees traveling from Central America in hopes of getting asylum in the United States constitutes an “invasion” (as Trump told CNN reporter Jim Acosta the day before the White House pulled his press credentials). Reasonable people can certainly disagree about the truthfulness of a metaphor. But we generally would expect at least some data to back up a presidential assertion that the caravan includes “criminals and unknown Middle Easterners.” When pressed for evidence, the president simply said, “There's no proof of anything but they could very well be.” He then added, “over a course of a period of time you [will] have [Middle Eastern individuals in the caravan], or they don't necessarily have to be in that group. But certainly, you have a lot of people coming up through the southern border from the Middle East and other places that are not appropriate for our country.”

How should we interpret the meaning of statements like this that simply have no basis in fact? Should we focus on how the president is shoving us into a pond of epistemological quicksand? (What is truth, after all?) Or should we turn our attention to the racial implications of the presidential view that -- whether or not they exist -- people “from the Middle East and other places... are not appropriate for our country”? Are those “other places” perhaps the “shithole countries” the president has mentioned in the past? And if so, then what exactly distinguishes those immigrants who are “appropriate for our country?”

But really there’s no time for thoughts like those, because it’s on to the next outrage! The crazy keeps piling up, along with the exclamation points. (There were eight of them in that November 20th 633-word statement on U.S. relations with Saudi Arabia that the president released in response to international outrage about the murder of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.)

For the whole article:
http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/176504/tomgram%3A_rebecca_gordon%2C_speed_kills/#more

ritter

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5372 on: December 10, 2018, 06:00:47 PM »
Running on a platform of Trump is bad has been the fallback since 2016. Do we continue with this flailing, if not failing program, or hit Trump (and the Republicans) where they're really vulnerable.

Universal Healthcare, costs of Education, the Environment, Reproductive rights, I think they're all more popular than trying to convince the voters that our politicians aren't as crooked as your politicians. - besides, I'm not entirely convinced that the later is true. :-[

Terry
+1

Time for the Democrats to move away from "groups" (minorities, LGBTQ, women, etc.) and start touting a policy that benefits the biggest group (which, by the way, encompasses the majority of the other groups): the 99 percent. Dems continue to splinter thier own party with groupings where one does not relate/share the ideals of the other and it is hurting us all. Create a policy where everyone has access to affordable healthcare. Everyone has access to education. Everyone has access to fair representation devoid of financial contribution. Everyone has access to a livable climate. Stop telling me you're not Trump and create policy that the public is demanding (healthcare) and that benefits society as a whole (education/trade skills, environmental/climate protection). Stop sucking (gulping) at the corporate teat and do the hard work.

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: December 11, 2018, 08:30:40 AM »
Very nice article by Sebastian Smith, Agence France-Presse on covering the White House and the Trump:

"Trump is surprisingly, almost absurdly, accessible, holding impromptu Q&As so frequent and so liable to throw up a surprise that reporters get journalistic whiplash."

"Inside the White House, journalists are a kind of accepted annoyance, a bit like a nest of rodents or other wildlife camped in someone's basement or attic. We're  too much trouble to get out, but restrained from roaming far. When the inhabitants of the house throw out scraps of information, we pounce."

"In the most important way, though, we're spoiled. Unlike the affable, but aloof Obama, this POTUS talks to us as often as several times a week. He professes to loathe the press, but in truth he can't get enough of us -- nor we of him."

"He sounds alternately like a guy bragging at the bar, a stand-up comedian, a street tough, a schoolyard bully, a man of the people, and, at the bottom of it all, that same relentless businessman who made his name synonymous with New York's cutthroat real estate world."

https://correspondent.afp.com/sweat-resistant-shirts-and-trump-white-house

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #5374 on: December 11, 2018, 12:51:22 PM »
Dore addresses Trump voters directly: