Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1485490 times)

Martin Gisser

Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #5350 on: November 16, 2018, 12:40:45 PM »
Shoot back with the policy stuff, occasionally throw in a 'Trump is actually part of the establishment' grenade,
Like, the Alabama Poop Train;) :) :D ;D :o
(It's real. Not even Bill Maher could make this up...)

Stench Of EPA Official's Indictment Scandal Reaches Jeff Sessions

----------------------
P.S.: Sorry, above I promised to no more go 'Merrican Sadomaso :)
Now I need to beat my old mechanical piano... O hrrrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmphhhh.....

P.P.S.: Hear the poop train rolling? :)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 12:58:52 PM by Martin Gisser »

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #5351 on: November 17, 2018, 08:50:06 AM »
From the media thread:

I think it is because Trump turned the presidency into a TV reality show.

Absolutely, and the media helped him achieve it. That's why it's so important to separate the wheat (policy) from the chaff (personality), and realize the mainstream media is not going to do it for you. Because its goals do not align with those of the majority of the American population.

To separate the wheat (policy) from the chaff (personality) is not so easy. With Trump it all blurs into some melting pot of actions.

For example (since we are on the journalism thread) the recent withdrawal of the press pass for Jim Acosta.  Was that a policy decision or a personality decision ?

That's all ratingsbait. Trump and Acosta are both assholes, creating controversy for personal gains.
 So, that's for the Political theatre/wrestling thread.

Sure enough, Trump was an asshole for revoking Acosta's WH press pass.

But what exactly did Acosta do wrong for you to call him an asshole ?
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: November 17, 2018, 09:56:14 AM »
Not sure if this is Trump policy or personality issue, but it is deeply troublesome :

To ease Turkish pressure on Saudis over killing, White House weighs expelling Erdogan foe

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/white-house-weighs-booting-erdogan-foe-u-s-appease-turkey-n933996

Trump administration officials last month asked federal law enforcement agencies to examine legal ways of removing exiled Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen in an attempt to persuade Erdogan to ease pressure on the Saudi government, the four sources said.

If true, would be double-whammy against reason and human rights :

First of all, because there is no evidence that Gulen is guilty of anything,
and secondly because it is pretty clear that the Saudis are guilty of killing journalist Khashoggi.

Trump really, really, REALLY likes the Saudis doesn't he ?

CIA concludes Saudi crown prince ordered Jamal Khashoggi’s assassination

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/cia-concludes-saudi-crown-prince-ordered-jamal-khashoggis-assassination/2018/11/16/98c89fe6-e9b2-11e8-a939-9469f1166f9d_story.html?utm_term=.384c56d109c7

The CIA has concluded that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the assassination of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in Istanbul last month, contradicting the Saudi government’s claims that he was not involved in the killing, ...

Trump imposes Magnitsky sactions over  17 Saudis for Alleged Involvement in Khashoggi Killing :
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/15/world/middleeast/saudis-sanctions-khashoggi.html

but NOT over Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.....
Let's not waste either.

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #5353 on: November 19, 2018, 02:43:01 AM »
<snip, take it to the Political theatre/wrestling thread; N.>
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 05:01:08 AM by Neven »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #5354 on: November 19, 2018, 05:32:27 PM »
As Trumps economic policies continue to “bite”, the economy continues to slow:

1). Homebuilder confidence down to a 2 year low
2). Lumber and copper prices continue to slide to multi year lows
3). Houseing prices in the US continue to drop
4). House “affordability” continues to drop (which means lumber, copper, and housing prices are likely to fall further).  Note:  Australia housing prices are really getting hammered .... and Canadian housing prices are likely to drop as oil price drops bite into their economy.
5). Growing number of companies are lowering future guidance
6). FAANG stocks (Facebook. Amazon, et) have all “failed” as of late and likely have much further to go
7). Oil prices remain weak after a 25% drop in 6 weeks.  This will help soften the blow to the economy, but it is also a signal that the world economies are vulnerable right now.

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

litesong

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #5355 on: November 19, 2018, 06:43:14 PM »
<snip, take it to the Political theatre/wrestling thread; N.>
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 10:16:41 PM by Neven »

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5356 on: November 20, 2018, 09:17:21 AM »
<snip, reply is in the Political theatre/wrestling thread; N.>
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 11:24:06 AM by Neven »
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5357 on: November 24, 2018, 09:37:24 AM »
Authoritarianism and how it relates to Trump's policies :

Let's not waste either.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5358 on: November 27, 2018, 12:06:07 AM »
Trump needs Ohio.

"he told Barra that GM “better get back in” Ohio “soon” and assign a new product to the Lordstown, Ohio, plant that could soon be shuttered by the company."

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/418293-trump-blasts-gm-for-plans-to-idle-ohio-factory

sidd

Ned W

« Reply #5359 on: November 28, 2018, 01:00:26 PM »
I generally stay out of all the politics-related threads here, but this interview yesterday made me want to throw my laptop out the window ... so of course I had to post it here:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/11/27/president-trumps-full-washington-post-interview-transcript-annotated/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.087ef02b6bc5

"And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small."   ::)

"One of the problems that a lot of people like myself — we have very high levels of intelligence, but we’re not necessarily such believers."   ::)  No, actually, Mr Trump, you're an idiot.

"There is movement in the atmosphere. There’s no question."  ::)

"I was watching the firemen, and they’re raking brush — you know the tumbleweed and brush, and all this stuff that’s growing underneath. It’s on fire, and they’re raking it, working so hard, and they’re raking all this stuff. If that was raked in the beginning, there’d be nothing to catch on fire."  ::)

DAWSEY: You said yesterday when you were leaving that you were skeptical of a climate change report that the government had done. Can you just explain why you're skeptical of that report?

TRUMP: One of the problems that a lot of people like myself — we have very high levels of intelligence, but we’re not necessarily such believers. You look at our air and our water, and it’s right now at a record clean. But when you look at China and you look at parts of Asia and when you look at South America, and when you look at many other places in this world, including Russia, including — just many other places — the air is incredibly dirty. And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small. And it blows over and it sails over. I mean, we take thousands of tons of garbage off our beaches all the time that comes over from Asia. It just flows right down the Pacific, it flows, and we say where does this come from. And it takes many people to start off with.

Number two, if you go back and if you look at articles, they talked about global freezing, they talked about at some point the planets could have freeze to death, then it’s going to die of heat exhaustion. There is movement in the atmosphere. There’s no question. As to whether or not it’s man-made and whether or not the effects that you’re talking about are there, I don’t see it — not nearly like it is. Do we want clean water? Absolutely. Do we want clean air to breathe? Absolutely. The fire in California, where I was, if you looked at the floor, the floor of the fire, they have trees that were fallen, they did no forest management, no forest maintenance, and you can light — you can take a match like this and light a tree trunk when that thing is laying there for more than 14 or 15 months. And it’s a massive problem in California.

DAWSEY: So you’re saying you don’t see the —

TRUMP: Josh, you go to other places where they have denser trees — it’s more dense, where the trees are more flammable — they don’t have forest fires like this, because they maintain. And it was very interesting, I was watching the firemen, and they’re raking brush — you know the tumbleweed and brush, and all this stuff that’s growing underneath. It’s on fire, and they’re raking it, working so hard, and they’re raking all this stuff. If that was raked in the beginning, there’d be nothing to catch on fire. It’s very interesting to see. A lot of the trees, they took tremendous burn at the bottom, but they didn’t catch on fire. The bottom is all burned but they didn’t catch on fire because they sucked the water, they’re wet. You need forest management, and they don’t have it.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5304
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #5360 on: November 28, 2018, 10:36:27 PM »

"And when you’re talking about an atmosphere, oceans are very small."   ::)

"One of the problems that a lot of people like myself — we have very high levels of intelligence, but we’re not necessarily such believers."   ::)  No, actually, Mr Trump, you're an idiot.

"There is movement in the atmosphere. There’s no question."  ::)
Two more years of this, possibly six.

Ned, you will need something less expensive to throw out the window.

Who will write the book of the best of these gifts to humanity-  " Trump's Little Big Red Book", the guide to running ruling the most powerful country in the world.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5361 on: November 29, 2018, 12:00:50 AM »
Trump threatens to declassify as response to putative Democratic Congress investigations:

"he could declassify FISA warrant applications and other documents from Robert Mueller’s probe — and predicted the disclosure would expose the FBI, the Justice Department and the Clinton campaign as being in cahoots to set him up"

But with a caveat:

“Some things maybe the public shouldn’t see because they are so bad,” Trump said, making clear it wasn’t damaging to him, but to others. “Maybe it’s better that the public not see what’s been going on with this country.”

https://nypost.com/2018/11/28/trump-threatens-to-declassify-devastating-docs-about-democrats/

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/418776-trump-says-he-will-declassify-russia-docs-to-counter-punch-democrats

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5362 on: November 30, 2018, 05:07:13 AM »
Mmmm. Interesting. Sherrod Brown and Trump making nice and allying against GM layoffs.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/11/29/trump-and-sherrod-brown-talk-about-general-motors-layoffs-in-ohio.html

Trump needs Ohio.

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #5363 on: December 01, 2018, 03:43:40 PM »
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #5364 on: December 01, 2018, 08:10:37 PM »
Part of the swamp, hang it around his neck:

The enemy is within

E. Smith

SteveMDFP

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 594
  • Likes Given: 43
« Reply #5365 on: December 03, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »

I don't view the Trump administration here as primarily ignorant or short-sighted, but simply corrupt.  He simply gives whatever he can to those he thinks might be able to support his re-election bid, and the interests of the people be damned:

U.S. to end subsidies for electric cars, renewables: White House
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-autos/u-s-to-end-subsidies-for-electric-cars-renewables-white-house-idUSKBN1O22D4

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) - White House economic adviser Larry Kudlow said on Monday the United States will end subsidies for electric cars and other items including renewable energy sources.

Asked about actions planned after General Motors announced U.S. plant closings and layoffs last week, Kudlow said he expected subsidies for buying electric cars will end in 2020 or 2021. Kudlow said the Trump administration will end other subsidies, including on “renewables.”
-------------------------------------------------------

Exposing and eliminating such corruption is the first job for a progressive agenda.  Without clean and transparent governance, none of the other goals are attainable.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5366 on: December 04, 2018, 12:08:42 AM »

Exposing and eliminating such all corruption is the first job for a progressive agenda.  Without clean and transparent governance, none of the other goals are attainable.

In most so called "democracies" investing in a politician to obtain a desired result is referred to as bribery, and it can lead to felony convictions for both the briber and the bribed.
I believe that both Trump and Bernie proved in 2016 that it was possible to win at the presidential level without having a particularly deep war chest. Even in 2018 a number of the winning candidates were outspent by the loser.

As long as bribery, (legal or not) is accepted in American politics, corruption is inevitable.

The other great fear I have for democracy is AI, and that threat may prove even more pernicious away from America's shores, but I'll save that diatribe for another time.
Terry

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #5367 on: December 07, 2018, 12:19:28 AM »
This is obviously also one of the things that are good to hang around Trump's neck, but I still think that it wouldn't be wise to use it for impeachment (assuming that would happen and Mueller isn't whistled back because Trump has given the oligarchs and MIC enough of what they wanted). Kulinksi touches upon why that is, even though I don't think he would agree with me:

The enemy is within

E. Smith

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5368 on: December 07, 2018, 03:34:30 AM »
Running on a platform of Trump is bad has been the fallback since 2016. Do we continue with this flailing, if not failing program, or hit Trump (and the Republicans) where they're really vulnerable.

Universal Healthcare, costs of Education, the Environment, Reproductive rights, I think they're all more popular than trying to convince the voters that our politicians aren't as crooked as your politicians. - besides, I'm not entirely convinced that the later is true. :-[

Terry

Red

« Reply #5369 on: December 09, 2018, 06:22:24 PM »

The Whole World at Trump Speed

There’s speed and then there’s Trump speed: the dizzying, careening way that the president drives the Formula One car of state. Just when we’ve started to adjust to one outrage -- say, the ripping of migrant children from their mothers’ arms (a procedure that continues to this day, despite court prohibition) -- here comes another down the track. This time it’s the construction in Texas of a tent city to house immigrant children. No, wait. That was the last lap. Now, it’s the mustering of almost 6,000 troops on the border, authorized to use lethal force "if they have to" against people desperately fleeing lethal conditions in their own countries.

No, now it’s the president, like Humpty-Dumpty in Alice in Wonderland, redefining the word “rock” to mean “rifle.” During a press briefing in November, he told reporters, “They want to throw rocks at our military, our military fights back. I told them to consider it a rifle. When they throw rocks like what they did to the Mexican military and police I say consider it a rifle.”

Oops, that was the last lap, too. Now it’s the launching of tear gas grenades -- a weapon that the Geneva Conventions prohibit in actual warfare -- against a few hundred mostly peaceful migrants, including small children on Mexican, not U.S. territory. And now it’s the president blaming the decision to deploy a toxic chemical agent against unarmed people on individuals whom -- he says -- an unidentified “they” call “grabbers.” Those grabbers are apparently seizing random migrant children to use as “human shields.” Before we can absorb that bizarre contention, he follows up with a new lie: that “three Border Patrol people yesterday were very badly hurt, getting hit with rocks and stones.”

Unlike the speed of my college days, which sharpened the attention, Trump speed makes it impossible to focus on anything for very long, not when the next outrage is already heading for you at full tilt.

In ordinary times, we would have focused, at least for a while, on any one of these occurrences. There would have been space to carefully consider the unlawful practice of taking children from their parents and shipping them thousands of miles away. We could have paid more than a fleeting moment’s attention to the cruel bureaucratic incompetence that left officials unable to reunite some families because records had been lost or destroyed -- or were never kept in the first place. There would have been time to discuss the legality of deploying U.S. troops inside this country on what has essentially been a policing mission, in possible violation of the Posse Comitatus Act. We could have stopped to consider whether such a deployment might be a prelude to other domestic uses of the military under an increasingly authoritarian president.

We might even have had a moment to ask ourselves what it means that we’ve stopped being surprised by a president who consistently makes things up. Maybe it is a matter of opinion whether the caravan of refugees traveling from Central America in hopes of getting asylum in the United States constitutes an “invasion” (as Trump told CNN reporter Jim Acosta the day before the White House pulled his press credentials). Reasonable people can certainly disagree about the truthfulness of a metaphor. But we generally would expect at least some data to back up a presidential assertion that the caravan includes “criminals and unknown Middle Easterners.” When pressed for evidence, the president simply said, “There's no proof of anything but they could very well be.” He then added, “over a course of a period of time you [will] have [Middle Eastern individuals in the caravan], or they don't necessarily have to be in that group. But certainly, you have a lot of people coming up through the southern border from the Middle East and other places that are not appropriate for our country.”

How should we interpret the meaning of statements like this that simply have no basis in fact? Should we focus on how the president is shoving us into a pond of epistemological quicksand? (What is truth, after all?) Or should we turn our attention to the racial implications of the presidential view that -- whether or not they exist -- people “from the Middle East and other places... are not appropriate for our country”? Are those “other places” perhaps the “shithole countries” the president has mentioned in the past? And if so, then what exactly distinguishes those immigrants who are “appropriate for our country?”

But really there’s no time for thoughts like those, because it’s on to the next outrage! The crazy keeps piling up, along with the exclamation points. (There were eight of them in that November 20th 633-word statement on U.S. relations with Saudi Arabia that the president released in response to international outrage about the murder of Washington Post columnist Jamal Khashoggi.)

For the whole article:
http://www.tomdispatch.com/post/176504/tomgram%3A_rebecca_gordon%2C_speed_kills/#more

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
« Reply #5370 on: December 10, 2018, 06:00:47 PM »
Running on a platform of Trump is bad has been the fallback since 2016. Do we continue with this flailing, if not failing program, or hit Trump (and the Republicans) where they're really vulnerable.

Universal Healthcare, costs of Education, the Environment, Reproductive rights, I think they're all more popular than trying to convince the voters that our politicians aren't as crooked as your politicians. - besides, I'm not entirely convinced that the later is true. :-[

Terry
+1

Time for the Democrats to move away from "groups" (minorities, LGBTQ, women, etc.) and start touting a policy that benefits the biggest group (which, by the way, encompasses the majority of the other groups): the 99 percent. Dems continue to splinter thier own party with groupings where one does not relate/share the ideals of the other and it is hurting us all. Create a policy where everyone has access to affordable healthcare. Everyone has access to education. Everyone has access to fair representation devoid of financial contribution. Everyone has access to a livable climate. Stop telling me you're not Trump and create policy that the public is demanding (healthcare) and that benefits society as a whole (education/trade skills, environmental/climate protection). Stop sucking (gulping) at the corporate teat and do the hard work.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: December 11, 2018, 08:30:40 AM »
Very nice article by Sebastian Smith, Agence France-Presse on covering the White House and the Trump:

"Trump is surprisingly, almost absurdly, accessible, holding impromptu Q&As so frequent and so liable to throw up a surprise that reporters get journalistic whiplash."

"Inside the White House, journalists are a kind of accepted annoyance, a bit like a nest of rodents or other wildlife camped in someone's basement or attic. We're  too much trouble to get out, but restrained from roaming far. When the inhabitants of the house throw out scraps of information, we pounce."

"In the most important way, though, we're spoiled. Unlike the affable, but aloof Obama, this POTUS talks to us as often as several times a week. He professes to loathe the press, but in truth he can't get enough of us -- nor we of him."

"He sounds alternately like a guy bragging at the bar, a stand-up comedian, a street tough, a schoolyard bully, a man of the people, and, at the bottom of it all, that same relentless businessman who made his name synonymous with New York's cutthroat real estate world."

https://correspondent.afp.com/sweat-resistant-shirts-and-trump-white-house

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #5372 on: December 11, 2018, 12:51:22 PM »
Dore addresses Trump voters directly:

The enemy is within

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: December 21, 2018, 05:37:20 AM »
Troops leave Syria. Mattis resigns. Troops outta Aghanistan. I am almost sure this means Trump has subdued the "forever war" factions.

Well, good for him. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then.

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: December 21, 2018, 09:13:21 AM »
Troops leave Syria. Mattis resigns. Troops outta Aghanistan. I am almost sure this means Trump has subdued the "forever war" factions.

Well, good for him. Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then.

sidd
That's one hell of an acorn!
Terry

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5375 on: December 21, 2018, 09:53:40 PM »
Pat Lang makes a case for Gabbard as SecDef:

"Major Gabbard, ARNG served in Iraq, is a woman, a Democrat,  a person of color, a non-interventionist, a Hindu and a Pacific Islander of Samoan descent.  What could be better?"

https://turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/2018/12/i-suggest-congresswoman-tulsi-gabbard-for-secdef.html

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: December 21, 2018, 10:04:51 PM »
Pat Lang makes a case for Gabbard as SecDef:

"Major Gabbard, ARNG served in Iraq, is a woman, a Democrat,  a person of color, a non-interventionist, a Hindu and a Pacific Islander of Samoan descent.  What could be better?"

https://turcopolier.typepad.com/sic_semper_tyrannis/2018/12/i-suggest-congresswoman-tulsi-gabbard-for-secdef.html

sidd
Ah, but can she claim to have 1/1024 indigenous ancestry?
Terry

edit - I forgot that she had met, not just with Russians, but with Putin himself! She's automatically disqualified & should be investigated ASA Mueller can get to it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 10:10:10 PM by TerryM »

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: December 22, 2018, 12:07:34 PM »
When the stock market goes up - "It was me wot dunnit", says Trump,

When the stock market goes down - "It was the FED wot dunnit", says Trump.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-22/trump-said-to-discuss-firing-fed-s-powell-after-latest-rate-hike?srnd=premium-europe

Politics
Trump Discusses Firing Fed's Powell After Latest Rate Hike, Sources Say
By Jennifer Jacobs , Saleha Mohsin , and Margaret Talev
22 December 2018, 04:42 GMT
-  Advisers warn ousting Fed chairman would lead to market rout
-  President’s legal authority to remove Powell is unclear

President Donald Trump has discussed firing Federal Reserve Chairman Jerome Powell as his frustration with the central bank chief intensified following this week’s interest-rate increase and months of stock-market losses, according to four people familiar with the matter.

Advisers close to Trump aren’t convinced he would move against Powell and are hoping that the president’s latest bout of anger will dissipate over the holidays, the people said on condition of anonymity. Some of Trump’s advisers have warned him that firing Powell would be a disastrous move.
Yet the president has talked privately about firing Powell many times in the past few days, said two of the people.

Any attempt by Trump to push out Powell would have potentially devastating ripple effects across financial markets, undermining investors’ confidence in the central bank’s ability to shepherd the economy without political interference. It would come as markets have plummeted in recent weeks, with the major stock indexes already down sharply for the year.

White House spokespeople declined to comment, as did Fed spokeswoman Michelle Smith.

Trump’s public and private complaints about members of his administration have often been a first step toward their departures -- including former Attorney General Jeff Sessions, his first Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and outgoing chief of staff John Kelly.

It’s unclear how much legal authority the president has to fire Powell. The Federal Reserve Act says governors may be “removed for cause by the President.” Since the chairman is also a governor, that presumably extends to him or her, but the rules around firing the leader are legally ambiguous, as Peter Conti-Brown of the University of Pennsylvania notes in his book on Fed independence.

Such a move would represent an unprecedented challenge to the Fed’s independence. Though he was nominated by the president, Powell was thought to be insulated from Trump’s dissatisfaction by a tradition of respect for the independence of the central bank.

That separation of politics from monetary policy is supposed to instil confidence that Fed officials will do what’s right for the economy over the long term rather than bend to the short-term whims of a politician.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: December 22, 2018, 01:15:17 PM »

It doesn't read as though there us really much of a problem under applicable legislation.

"Upon the expiration of the term of any appointive member of the Federal Reserve Board in office on the date of enactment of the Banking Act of 1935, the President shall fix the term of the successor to such member at not to exceed fourteen years, as designated by the President at the time of nomination, but in such manner as to provide for the expiration of the term of not more than one member in any two-year period, and thereafter each member shall hold office for a term of fourteen years from the expiration of the term of his predecessor, unless sooner removed for cause by the President."

Terry

Pmt111500

« Reply #5379 on: December 29, 2018, 01:19:55 PM »
It looks like El Presidente de Trumpistania threatens to close the border to Mehico entirely if he doesn't get funds to close the border entirely with a wall. Thank you. A border wall made of cardboard Drumpfs might be just as effective, they'd just need someone to translate the text "we elected him to be the emperor" in spanish on those. (le elegimos el emperador?)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/dec/28/trump-mexico-border-wall-democrats-fund-shutdown
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 01:46:58 PM by Pmt111500 »

Pmt111500

« Reply #5380 on: January 04, 2019, 06:50:41 AM »
Now that 1/3 of the legislative offices of US are again in somewhat sane hands, it is no better time to remind that several thousand votes were left uncounted due criminals. Thus a criminal may have more influence in US than hundreds of civil adults. Not good, one might say bad.

Pmt111500

« Reply #5381 on: January 11, 2019, 08:52:58 AM »
Mitch McConnell and other senate republicans kowtow to Trump and withhold pay from 800000 federal workers, because they, the senate republicans, didn't want to fund the fools' obsession when they had the chance. Still very happy I have but a couple of distant relatives living in former US. If this resolves in the wrong way it'll be fun to ask any citizens of the country:"how's life behind the wall?"

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: January 11, 2019, 10:26:15 AM »
Re: If this resolves in the wrong way it'll be fun to ask any citizens of the country:"how's life behind the wall?"

Some tell me that the USA went down the "wrong" path after the 2001 attacks. Sometimes I gently remind them of the (late) William Blum's catalogue.

I think the nation has never come to terms with the two great sins of its founding, genocide and slavery. But as an Empire, these themes resound in its colonies, wars, culture, trade, diplomacy ...

Trump is a symptom of late stage Empire. Those are not necessarily fun to live in.

sidd

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #5383 on: January 13, 2019, 06:47:36 PM »
Just for fun :

magnamentis

« Reply #5384 on: January 13, 2019, 06:54:25 PM »
Just for fun :

after the swiss gvt and WEC principals leached his a..... once more thoroughly he does not come LOL, who knows, at least it looks like it, the guy can pop up tomorrow as there were no cancallation before.

BTW:

second longest shutdown to date under Clinton and he got very close to impeachment

longest shutdown to date under the Donald, let's hope it's an omen and the almost will be replaced by matters of fact, on the other hand a non-re-election followed by some terms in prison would be as nice IMO

yeah i admit freely, that guy robs me of some nerves like only the bushman did before him.

Pmt111500

« Reply #5385 on: January 15, 2019, 06:26:19 AM »
I hear some DA (district attorney?) in Newark has been taking some campaign money for not prosecuting select individuals. I understand, law people have to fund themselves somehow, but I thought DAs got secure salaries, or are they also not paid when govt is shutdown (hah, wrote 'shitdown' first, funny since I also heard some embassies have run out of money for toilet paper)

In additional news, imperator of Witheouse invited highly trimmed athletes to feast on bigmacs and other fast 'food' to help foreign teams against the magnificent team youth of trumpistan.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 08:25:51 AM by Pmt111500 »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #5386 on: January 17, 2019, 09:15:47 AM »
The one thing that may have seemed good about Trump, of course isn't:

The enemy is within

E. Smith

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: January 17, 2019, 11:10:11 AM »
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: January 19, 2019, 09:39:13 AM »
Let's not waste either.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: January 20, 2019, 11:11:38 AM »
It seems as though yet another Supreme will be named by the Trumpster.

Ginsberg has developed pneumonia after her cancer operation and is cancelling future events.

https://www.smobserved.com/story/2019/01/19/politics/stricken-with-pneumonia-ruth-bader-ginsburg-cancels-event-set-for-january-29-2019/3780.html

Will Trump nominate a woman this time out?
Will the Senate seats won by Republicans make this one an easier sell?
Are there lessons to be learned from the Kavanaugh fiasco?
Will the Left ever take back the Supreme Court?
Am I jumping the gun?
Terry

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #5390 on: January 20, 2019, 11:21:22 AM »
oh noes  :-[

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #5391 on: January 20, 2019, 02:46:09 PM »
Sounds like this may be fake news:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Is Not Fighting ‘For Her Life’ With Pneumonia, Despite Outlet’s Claim

https://www.inquisitr.com/5254187/ruth-bader-ginsburg-fights-for-her-life-with-pneumonia-dodgy-website-claims/
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: January 21, 2019, 09:11:48 AM »
Sounds like this may be fake news:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg Is Not Fighting ‘For Her Life’ With Pneumonia, Despite Outlet’s Claim

https://www.inquisitr.com/5254187/ruth-bader-ginsburg-fights-for-her-life-with-pneumonia-dodgy-website-claims/

Who to believe? I've never heard of either source.
It shouldn't take too long to find out, unless they pull a Sharon. :-X
Terry

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #5393 on: January 21, 2019, 09:57:54 AM »
Oh good! I'm glad.

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: January 22, 2019, 03:55:49 AM »
Who was going to pay for that wall again ?

« Last Edit: January 22, 2019, 09:28:04 AM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #5395 on: January 23, 2019, 03:47:54 AM »
Thanks, Lurk for this summation.

Everything with the name Mueller in the title i'll just dismiss until the final report is out.

I would love to see this orange fart walking in an orange jumpsuit, but this whole trump/russia media coverage is doing no good.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 647
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #5396 on: January 24, 2019, 03:08:17 AM »
If Mexico is paying for the wall, why is the US in shut down over paying for the wall?  :o

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: January 24, 2019, 05:16:50 AM »
If Mexico is paying for the wall, why is the US in shut down over paying for the wall?  :o

Exactly.
Let's not waste either.

Pmt111500

« Reply #5398 on: January 24, 2019, 07:36:51 PM »
I thought Trump was going to transfer the money for the wall as a downpayment for a house in central Moscow. Now you're saying it's Mexico whose gonna pay for it? Aren't the border patrols in shut down too? I know air traffic is currently unsafe above US and Trumpistan during the shutdown, but is border security also compromized? Wouldn't want those trumpistas to escape.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: January 25, 2019, 10:16:58 AM »
The people in the White House are beyond redemption.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jan/25/let-them-eat-cake-wealthy-republicans-play-down-severity-of-shutdown

Let them eat cake? Wealthy Republicans play down severity of shutdown

On Thursday the commerce secretary, Wilbur Ross, said he “doesn’t really understand why” government workers have started going to food banks for sustenance. Appearing on CNBC, Ross, whose net worth has been reported as at least $700m , suggested furloughed workers take out bank loans instead. “The 30 days of pay that some people will be out, there’s no real reason why they shouldn’t be able to get a loan against it,” he said, seemingly encouraging government workers to apply for predatory payday-style loans, uncertain when they might be able to pay them back.

The White House economic adviser Kevin Hassett suggested furloughed workers were “better off” over the Christmas holiday because they were getting time off without having to use vacation days. “And then they come back and then they get their back pay, then they’re, in some sense, they’re better off,” Hassett said.

Larry Kudlow, director of the National Economic Council, echoed that sacrificial sentiment and praised unpaid government workers as noble “volunteers” laboring for love of president and country. When asked how coming to work without pay for fear of being fired counted as volunteering, Kudlow, a millionaire, bristled at the question. “They do it because of their love for the country and the office of the presidency and presumably because their allegiance to President Trump …”

On Monday Lara Trump, the president’s daughter-in-law, waded into the shutdown controversy, saying going over a month without pay was a “little bit of pain”. “Listen, it’s not fair to you and we all get that,” she said on the digital news network Bold TV. “But this is so much bigger than any one person. It is a little bit of pain but it’s going to be for the future of our country. And their children and their grandchildren and generations after them will thank them for their sacrifice right now.”