Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1473784 times)

Tom_Mazanec

Re: The Trump Presidency
« Reply #6100 on: September 23, 2020, 12:40:37 AM »
Sorry about your father...lost mine to Alzheimer's (I was praying for his death).
But it is not false. Human life begins at conception. Prochoicers deny the Preborn their human rights, just as the Nazis denied the Jews their human rights and the South denied the Negroes their human rights.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #6101 on: September 23, 2020, 07:29:42 AM »
I ask again, Tom and all, please stop discussing this here. I find what Tom writes to be anathema but I can't respond. There is no positive outcome and only negative ones in discussing religion and dogma on a scientific forum.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6102 on: September 23, 2020, 07:32:50 AM »
Re: abortion, no positive outcome from discussion here

Agreed. Perhaps Mr. Manzanec or others coule take this to email or, if Nevenand moderators can stomach it,  a dedicated thread about abortion.

sidd

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #6103 on: September 23, 2020, 10:56:12 AM »
wili, sorry to hear that your father is dying. I wish it is not COVID-19 related and that his departure will be a moment of unity and love. I think it's okay to hug people if each turns their face to the same side.
I'll miss you for a while.

---

All dogma's are wrong.
People lose sight of the reasons behind the dogma, and dogma is a fixed set of behaviour and rules which makes it completely closed to changes in society/culture, new science-based insights and the fact that humans cannot be put in one category. Furthermore it implies a ruler but many times the ruler is long gone and people keep blindly following old dogma without leader or original arguments. Such as economic growth; tidiness; forced monogamy; a pet animal; material accumulation.

This is my opinion, not an attack on other opinions. And not specific to abortion.
Child death is completely natural.

Oren, you're right, this leads to nowhere because in general people with dogma's are very biased and are not open for change.

Tom, please give it a rest. There's no sense in trying to change our opinions of your dogma.
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #6104 on: September 23, 2020, 11:04:24 AM »
OK.
If Ktb or others does not bring it up I will not.

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #6105 on: September 23, 2020, 12:21:20 PM »
I’ll bring it up as needed when the Trump admin brings it up.

It has become a political topic. It is a central focus of the current admin. This is the politics subforum.
And, given a story to enact in which the world is a foe to be conquered, they will conquer it like a foe, and one day, inevitably, their foe will lie bleeding to death at their feet, as the world is now.
- Ishmael

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #6106 on: September 23, 2020, 12:31:11 PM »
Then the ASIF is demanding that Ktb can post all s/he wants prochoice and I cannot post anything prolife.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #6107 on: September 23, 2020, 02:47:38 PM »
If someone else brings it up as a topic you don´t need to reiterate your point every time to balance that out.
It´s that simple.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #6108 on: September 23, 2020, 04:31:03 PM »
I attend a forum for a Furry Web cartoonist. Suppose you were on the same forum. Repeatedly they proclaim things like "the Green New Deal is an atrocity worse than the Shoah" or "only an idiot or an abomination would promote the Global Warming Hoax". When I see this, I respond. What would you do on this forum? They at least let me argue there.
As for why I have to respond, I do not some day want to find myself writing "First they came for the preborn babies, but I was already born, so I did not speak out..."
What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander. Either outlaw all abortion discussions (in which case I will report any posting by Ktb or anyone else on the topic) or let both sides speak.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #6109 on: September 23, 2020, 05:18:53 PM »
Ktb could report politics news related to abortions without resorting to telling a personal opinion. Assume that we all know your opinion and no need to retell it. Tom this applies to you as well.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #6110 on: September 23, 2020, 07:06:15 PM »
If Ktb (or anyone) does not support abortion, I will not oppose it.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 149
  • Likes Given: 484
« Reply #6111 on: September 23, 2020, 08:28:33 PM »
I agree that it is a hot topic button.  However, if anyone should bring it up, Tom should have every opportunity to express his views on it.  Too much censorship occurs here already.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #6112 on: September 23, 2020, 09:46:56 PM »

A jarring new report from The Atlantic claims that the Trump campaign is discussing potential strategies to circumvent the results of the 2020 election, should Joe Biden defeat Donald Trump, by first alleging the existence of rampant fraud and then appointing electors in battleground states where Republicans maintain a legislative majority, whom Trump would ask to bypass the state’s popular vote and instead to choose electors loyal to the GOP and the sitting president.

Following the casting of ballots and counting individual votes in a presidential election, the United States Constitution prescribes that the 538 electors who constitute the Electoral College cast their electoral votes, determining the winner.

Customarily, electors are chosen by popular vote, but nothing in the Constitution mandates that tradition, with Article II, Section 1, Clause 2 merely asserting that each state shall appoint electors “in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct.”

Since the late 1800s, every state in every presidential election has ceded the decision to its voters, but the Supreme Court affirmed in Bush v. Gore that a state “can take back the power to appoint electors.”

The Atlantic report claims that sources in the Republican Party at the local and national levels confirm “the Trump campaign is discussing contingency plans to bypass election results and appoint loyal electors” in red battleground states.

“The push to appoint electors would be framed in terms of protecting the people’s will,” an unnamed Trump-campaign legal adviser tells The Atlantic, adding, “The state legislatures will say, ‘All right, we’ve been given this constitutional power. We don’t think the results of our own state are accurate, so here’s our slate of electors that we think properly reflect the results of our state.’”

The chairman of the Pennsylvania Republican Party says, on the record, that he has discussed appointing loyal electors with the Trump campaign: “It is one of the available legal options set forth in the Constitution.”

A critical factor in the Trump campaign’s approach is delegitimizing mail-in and provisional ballots and any other votes that are not counted by the end of Election Day, Nov. 3rd, as those other votes are expected to heavily favor Biden.

Earlier this summer, Trump tweeted, “MAIL-IN VOTING WILL LEAD TO MASSIVE FRAUD AND ABUSE. IT WILL ALSO LEAD TO THE END OF OUR GREAT REPUBLICAN PARTY. WE CAN NEVER LET THIS TRAGEDY BEFALL OUR NATION.” Later, in a Twitter post in July, Trump wrote, “With Universal Mail-In Voting, 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history.” However, due to the coronavirus pandemic, 2020 will feature more voting by mail than any other election in history.

Earlier this week, Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said he plans to spend the next six weeks urging the country to prepare for a “nightmare scenario” in which Trump declares himself the winner of the election and refuses to leave the White House. Thus, Sanders recommends states tally mail-in ballots as quickly as possible, urging them to begin processing and counting ballots before Election Day.

When The Atlantic asked the Trump campaign to comment on the quotes in the article, and about possible plans to take the unprecedented step of appointing loyal electors, the president’s deputy national press secretary, Thea McDonald, did not address the questions directly. “It’s outrageous that President Trump and his team are being villainized for upholding the rule of law and transparently fighting for a free and fair election,” McDonald said in an email. “The mainstream media are giving the Democrats a free pass for their attempts to completely uproot the system and throw our election into chaos."

When asked by Fox News’ Chris Wallace earlier this summer if he would accept the election results, President Trump said, “I have to see. Look, you — I have to see. No, I’m not going to just say yes. I’m not going to say no, and I didn’t last time, either.”

An investigation by Justin Levitt at Loyola Law School uncovered a total of 31 credible allegations of voter impersonation out of more than 1 billion votes cast in the United States from 2000 to 2014.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommybeer/2020/09/23/report-trump-campaign-actively-discussing-radical-measures-to-bypass-election-results/amp/

----------------------------

... excuse me, I need to sight in the AR-15
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #6113 on: September 24, 2020, 11:02:33 AM »
Earlier this week, Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said he plans to spend the next six weeks urging the country to prepare for a “nightmare scenario” in which Trump declares himself the winner of the election and refuses to leave the White House.
How would that play out? Wouldn't they just send in three or four Secret Service men to drag Trump out of the White House kicking and screaming? That would really make his historic record look good!

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: September 24, 2020, 05:37:21 PM »
Earlier this week, Senator Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) said he plans to spend the next six weeks urging the country to prepare for a “nightmare scenario” in which Trump declares himself the winner of the election and refuses to leave the White House.
How would that play out? Wouldn't they just send in three or four Secret Service men to drag Trump out of the White House kicking and screaming? That would really make his historic record look good!
Most likely.  He does not have the power to do so.  If anything, the supreme will decide akin to the 2000 election.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #6115 on: September 24, 2020, 07:04:43 PM »
If anything, the supreme will decide akin to the 2000 election.
Maybe by 5-4, with Trump's justices providing the votes for him to stay.

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 951
  • Likes Given: 1251
« Reply #6116 on: September 25, 2020, 12:51:05 AM »
It's over...
Biden will win big!

#DonaldChump (please start using this hashtag! His niece said he hates to be called Donald, and Donald likes to used nicknames. So it's Donald the big fat chump!)

Just a few more days until the debate, and Donald Chump is getting nervous...
When he gets nervous, his ego takes over, and he just crossed a line even the far right is hesitant to cross...

WHERE ARE THE JEWS AGAINST FASCISM?  >:( >:( >:(
Americannot doesn't want to have "a king". Americannot is all about freedamn...
They don't want dictators...

The only question is; How stupid did their educational system make these idiots?
It used to be 50% - if I recall correctly...
It's 40% now of Americannots that still believe in creationism...

They're not supporting Chump!
They're still fighting Darwin!
They're not for Chump!
They're against reality!!!

Because reality means that what they believe in comes crumbling down...

FUCK SCIENCE AND REALITY!!!!
GO CHUMP!!!!
FUCK JEBUS!!!!

I'm actually happy now that Bernie didn't win the primaries...
I only hope the extreme left won't be as stupid as they were four years ago when they voted for Chump as a signal that they wanted to blow up the corrupt system (that it is)...

Trump blew up the system.
He did (some) good...
America is going through a badly needed cultural revolution...

Let's hope it doesn't blow up completely... because that would really suck.

Chump taught Americannot humility...

GO TRUMP!!!!
NOW GO FUCK YOURSELF!!!!
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: September 25, 2020, 01:54:13 PM »
With posts like that, it is no wonder that Trump got elected.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6118 on: September 28, 2020, 02:21:53 AM »
New York Times Publishes Donald Trump's Tax Returns In Election Bombshell
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/09/27/us/donald-trump-taxes.html
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/27/new-york-times-publishes-donald-trumps-tax-returns-election

Donald Trump, a self-proclaimed billionaire, paid only $750 in federal income taxes in the year he was elected US president, according to a stunning New York Times investigation that could shake up the presidential election.

“Trump taxes show chronic losses and years of tax avoidance,” was the banner headline on the paper’s website on Sunday. The president’s tax returns have long been the holy grail of American political reporting.

The president “paid $750 in federal income taxes the year he won the presidency”, the paper reported, adding that “in his first year in the White House, he paid another $750.

“He had paid no income taxes at all in 10 of the previous 15 years – largely because he reported losing much more money than he made.”

In all, the paper said, Trump paid no federal income taxes in 11 of 18 years its reporters examined. Many of his businesses, including his golf courses, report significant financial losses – which have helped him to lower his taxes.

The Times also said the documents it had obtained “comprise information that Mr Trump has disclosed to the IRS, not the findings of an independent financial examination.

Trumps reply: ... “Totally fake news, no. Actually I paid tax. And you’ll see that as soon as my tax returns – it’s under audit, they’ve been under audit for a long time. The [Internal Revenue Service] does not treat me well … they treat me very badly. You have people in the IRS – they treat me very badly.”

Pressed on why a billionaire only paid a few hundred dollars in the year he won the presidency, Trump insisted: “First of all I paid a lot, and I paid a lot of state income taxes too. The New York state charges a lot and I paid a lot of money in state. It’ll all be revealed. It’s going to come out but after the audit.”

The revelations threaten to damage Trump’s repeated claim to be a successful businessman and therefore a capable steward of the US economy.

The Times promised more stories in the coming weeks, adding: “The tax returns that Mr Trump has long fought to keep private tell a story fundamentally different from the one he has sold to the American public.” ...

--------------------------------------

Six Key Findings from the New York Times' Trump Taxes Bombshell
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/27/new-york-times-trump-tax-returns-key-findings

... The Times was brutal in its assessment of Trump’s businesses, about which he often boasts and on the back of which he sought to promote a carefully curated image as a master businessman. “Trump’s core enterprises – from his constellation of golf courses to his conservative-magnet hotel in Washington – report losing millions, if not tens of millions, of dollars year after year,” the newspaper said.

It detailed how since 2000, Trump has reported losing more than $315m at his golf courses, with much of that coming from Trump National Doral in Florida. His Washington hotel, which opened in 2016 and has been the subject of much speculation regarding federal ethics laws, has lost more than $55m. ...

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 02:43:48 AM by vox_mundi »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

ralfy

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 80
« Reply #6119 on: September 29, 2020, 07:14:47 AM »
Some more interesting points about that:

From the same article, Trump gained thanks to policies implemented by Obama.

Various news articles across several years show top corporations (several with record profits) paying little or no taxes thanks to policies from Bush, Obama, and Trump which allow them various tax breaks, deductions, and even means to get refunds.

Finally, one article from 2010 referred to a study showing that those who earned $40k to $50k per annum had an ave. effective tax rate of 1.7 pct thanks to various deductions, breaks, and benefits. Those who earned more had a rate of around 4.2 pct.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6120 on: September 29, 2020, 01:10:57 PM »
How big is the chance that Donald Dumb will be replaced by Pence until January 20th if Trump loses the election and starts doing even more crazy and dangerous things?
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #6121 on: September 29, 2020, 01:36:07 PM »
Freegrass:
AFAIK that would require an impeachment.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6122 on: September 29, 2020, 01:57:56 PM »
Freegrass:
AFAIK that would require an impeachment.

Hence, I would put the chances at near zero.

ShortBrutishNasty

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #6123 on: September 30, 2020, 03:23:44 PM »
Ladies, Gents & Able Reviewers of ASIF,

I was unable to watch the debate last night.

What concrete measures concerning the pandemic were uttered, if any?

Thanks in advance.

SB&N

Thomas Hobbes , English philosopher 1588-1679

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6124 on: September 30, 2020, 04:58:03 PM »

Thanks in advance.

SB&N

In short, none. 

Biden blamed Trump for the pandemic and resulting recession, while Trump blamed the pandemic on China and claimed that Biden's policies would have made the situation worse. 

Biden stated that a vaccine would not be available until next summer, while Trump claimed that it would be ready by the election. 

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: October 01, 2020, 12:54:18 AM »

Borat Congratulates ‘Premier Trump’ on Great Debate Victory
https://www.thedailybeast.com/borat-congratulates-premier-trump-on-great-debate-victory
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 02:54:50 AM by vox_mundi »

ralfy

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 80
« Reply #6126 on: October 02, 2020, 03:40:37 AM »
For the debate, organizers should have used timers and mics that turn on and off automatically, noise-proof glass booths, and panels of experts to question what they argued or said against each other.

Videos with transcripts should be shown later, with those experts plus experts in debate pointing out what was wrong in terms of content and fallacies committed.

From there, the same experts gives rating to the candidates, based on each mistake made. The candidates are finally given an opportunity to support or counter each assessment made by the experts and explain what their ratings should be and what the other should receive.

Finally, this process also allows voters to become informed of all of the points discussed and helps them make decisions.

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #6127 on: October 02, 2020, 03:59:57 AM »

Thanks in advance.

SB&N

Biden: Masks.  Trump: Nonsense.

"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"Вчи українську це тобі ще знадобиться" ~ Internet

Hefaistos

« Reply #6128 on: October 02, 2020, 04:55:51 AM »
For the debate, organizers should have used timers and mics that turn on and off automatically, noise-proof glass booths, and panels of experts to question what they argued or said against each other.

Videos with transcripts should be shown later, with those experts plus experts in debate pointing out what was wrong in terms of content and fallacies committed.

From there, the same experts gives rating to the candidates, based on each mistake made. The candidates are finally given an opportunity to support or counter each assessment made by the experts and explain what their ratings should be and what the other should receive.

Finally, this process also allows voters to become informed of all of the points discussed and helps them make decisions.

Would need to first elect the experts then!

Ktb

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 20
And, given a story to enact in which the world is a foe to be conquered, they will conquer it like a foe, and one day, inevitably, their foe will lie bleeding to death at their feet, as the world is now.
- Ishmael

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6130 on: October 02, 2020, 08:23:02 AM »
Hicks was seen on Tuesday riding maskless in a staff van with White House senior adviser Stephen Miller, campaign adviser Jason Miller and others.

When they returned to Washington on Tuesday, Stephen Miller and Hicks were seen sharing an umbrella as they exited Air Force One in the rain. Miller’s wife, Katie Miller – Vice President Mike Pence’s press secretary – recovered from Covid-19 earlier this year.

Hicks felt poorly in Minnesota on Wednesday and was quarantined aboard Air Force One during the return flight, according to people familiar with the matter. She tested positive for the virus on Thursday.

Article II of the Constitution grants Congress the right to “provide for the Case of Removal, Death, Resignation or Inability, both of the President and Vice President, declaring what Officer shall then act as President” — and the 1947 act is the current result. Under its rules, the speaker of the House and the president pro tempore of the Senate would be next in the line of succession, followed by the members of the Cabinet, beginning with the secretary of state.

Until 1947, succession had passed through the Cabinet. Congress added the speaker and president pro tem on the grounds that the president should desirably be an elected official, even if not part of the executive branch. This might make sense in theory, but it could be truly terrible in practice. Should both Pence and Trump be unable to serve, Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D.-Calif.) would become president under the act — handing the White House to a different party without an election. Should she be unable or unwilling to serve, then the office would go to Sen. Charles E. Grassley (R-Iowa).

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #6131 on: October 02, 2020, 11:18:06 AM »
I can only assume it's all fake news . The president surely could not come down with a hoax ! Has the Whitehouse run out of bleach ?
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

greylib

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #6132 on: October 02, 2020, 12:01:16 PM »
Here's an amusing little scenario. Amusing from this side of the pond, at least - for USA citizens, maybe not so much.

Pence catches the virus and dies, or is incapacitated and resigns. Trump names Ivanka as VP. Trump dies. The election is thrown into turmoil, with lawyers, lawmakers and pundits stirring the pot for all they're worth. Eventually a new election is called. Even with reduced primaries, it would still take a year or more to sort out.

Meanwhile, President Ivanka? Or does the Constitution have the  answers?
Step by step, moment by moment
We live through another day.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: October 02, 2020, 01:49:49 PM »
Not born in the US of A ?
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

greylib

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #6134 on: October 02, 2020, 02:32:07 PM »
Not born in the US of A ?
That's a good point. But there have been loads of reports lately (denied, of course) that Trump wanted to put Ivanka as his running mate. A lot of comment as to why that would be bad politically, but nobody said that she wouldn't be allowed on the ticket because she was born overseas.
Step by step, moment by moment
We live through another day.

Freegrass

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6135 on: October 02, 2020, 02:32:58 PM »
Here's an amusing little scenario. Amusing from this side of the pond, at least - for USA citizens, maybe not so much.

Pence catches the virus and dies, or is incapacitated and resigns. Trump names Ivanka as VP. Trump dies. The election is thrown into turmoil, with lawyers, lawmakers and pundits stirring the pot for all they're worth. Eventually a new election is called. Even with reduced primaries, it would still take a year or more to sort out.

Meanwhile, President Ivanka? Or does the Constitution have the  answers?
If there's no president elected by January 20, the speaker of the house becomes president.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 02:49:20 PM by Freegrass »

WTF happened?

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: October 05, 2020, 01:07:33 AM »
The White House Released Photos of Trump Working In Hospital That Critics Say Appears to be a Publicity Stunt
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-hospital-working-pictures-are-pr-stunt-say-critics-2020-10?r=US&IR=T

The White House released pictures apparently showing Trump hard at work in the Walter Reed medical center where he is being treated for COVID-19.

The images are designed to show the president on the road to recovery, as contradictory information emerged about his condition.

But critics are saying that the pictures are a publicity stunt, and were taken 10 minutes apart.

Andrew Feinberg, a White House correspondent, pointed out that one image showed the president signing a blank sheet of paper with a Sharpie marker.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jonostrower/status/1312616578773446656

... for people that lie as much as they do they're really terrible at it. Rookie move man

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #6137 on: October 05, 2020, 06:09:55 AM »
Max Planck apropos Trump & Co and Corona:

"Eine neue wissenschaftliche Wahrheit pflegt sich nicht in der Weise durchzusetzen, daß ihre Gegner überzeugt werden und sich als belehrt erklären, sondern vielmehr dadurch, daß ihre Gegner allmählich aussterben ..."

"A new scientific truth does not usually assert itself in such a way that its opponents are convinced and declare themselves informed, but rather by the fact that its opponents gradually die out ..."
« Last Edit: October 05, 2020, 06:18:02 AM by Florifulgurator »
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"Вчи українську це тобі ще знадобиться" ~ Internet

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: October 14, 2020, 12:39:27 PM »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: October 23, 2020, 03:55:51 PM »
.... ‘Will no one rid me of this meddlesome priest?’

Henry II (1170)

-------------------------------------

‘Stunning’ Trump Executive Order Enables Politicized Civil Service
https://www.defenseone.com/policy/2020/10/president-trump-signs-directive-would-potentially-pull-thousands-federal-employees-policy-making-positions-out-competitive-service-making-them-will-employees/169481/

President Trump on Wednesday signed an executive order to create a new classification of “policy-making” federal employees that could strip swaths of the federal workforce of civil service protections just before the next president is sworn into office.

The order will create a new Schedule F within the excepted service of the federal government, to be composed of “employees in confidential, policy-determining, policy-making, or policy-advocating positions,” and instructs agency heads to determine which current employees fit this definition and move them—whether they are members of the competitive service or other schedules within the excepted service—into this new classification.

... The argument here is that anyone involved in policymaking can be swept into this new classification, and once they’re in they’re subject to political review and dismissal for any reason.”

The White House argued that the executive order is a necessary reform to ensure that federal officials can more efficiently remove “poor performers.”

But federal employee groups and government observers described the executive order as a “stunning” attempt to politicize the civil service and undermine more than a century of laws aimed at preventing corruption and cronyism in the federal government.

... “This executive order strips due process rights and protections from perhaps hundreds of thousands of federal employees and will enable political appointees and other officials to hire and fire these workers at will,” Kelley said. “Through this order, President Trump has declared war on the professional civil service by giving himself the authority to fill the government with his political cronies who will pledge their unwavering loyalty to him—not to America.”

Kettl said that the order could be far-reaching in scope. Not only would high-profile employees who publicly disagree with a president be targeted for removal, but lower level employees tasked with collecting the data and evidence underlying much of what the federal government does could be affected.

“If you think about examples of how this could play out, Dr. [Anthony] Fauci could be fired, as well as individuals at the [Centers for Disease Control and Prevention] who are producing analysis about the spread of the coronavirus, social distancing and the importance of masks,” Kettl said.

“You could have people within the State Department raising questions about the administration’s expansion of efforts to engage in crackdowns and change other policies who could be fired. The people counting the number of immigrant children who cannot be reunited with their parents could be fired. There’s no end to it because the biggest risk is that anyone who says anything that would be in opposition to the administration’s policy could be viewed as in a policy-making position, put in Schedule F and fired.”

... "It’s a cheap ploy to let the Trump administration replace talent and acumen with fealty and self-dealing."
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 04:17:03 PM by vox_mundi »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #6140 on: October 23, 2020, 04:07:44 PM »
Of course it is possible that Biden may be the beneficiary of Trump's Executive Order.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #6141 on: October 23, 2020, 07:20:23 PM »
FYI, there is a poll concerning the current election:  Poll: Spread between Trump and Biden (popular vote)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: October 25, 2020, 11:01:16 PM »

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #6143 on: October 26, 2020, 07:10:00 PM »
Of course it is possible that Biden may be the beneficiary of Trump's Executive Order.
I wouldn't want any president to have it either. This is designed to increase corruption.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: October 27, 2020, 10:07:40 PM »

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: October 27, 2020, 11:51:51 PM »

Are you threatened by a woman of superior intellect?

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #6146 on: October 28, 2020, 09:08:39 PM »
How does she display superior intellect? Just curious...
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: October 28, 2020, 11:45:42 PM »
How does she display superior intellect? Just curious...

In the way she talks and teaches for starters.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #6148 on: November 04, 2020, 12:22:54 AM »
Now that the election is ending, Trump doesn't have to worry about making a good impression (to the extent that he does). Do you think he is going to be even more Trumpish for 2 months/four years (depending)?

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: November 04, 2020, 05:29:42 AM »
Now that the election is ending, Trump doesn't have to worry about making a good impression (to the extent that he does). Do you think he is going to be even more Trumpish for 2 months/four years (depending)?

Is that even possible?