Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1473958 times)

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Presidential poll for US citizens on the forum
« Reply #350 on: October 29, 2016, 07:04:44 AM »
[/b]
I don't think the current issue will be a big deal...I really don't.  But we'll see....

Whether it is a big deal or not, Trump and the Republicans are making it a big deal. IMO, if Clinton still manages to win it will be by a thinner margin. I never was a fan of early voting (just old fashioned I guess), but I'm glad that several million have already voted.

Sleepy

« Reply #351 on: October 29, 2016, 11:10:36 AM »
budmantis, no need for apologies.

To both: I'm really surprised that you can't watch the video, you really should. It works here. Afghanistan is a mess, a mess that both my country and yours, are trying to ignore. I think it is a big deal. No matter who wins the election.

Afghanistan can't stand on it's own, ordinary people are fed up with the talibans, isis and even their own military, it's the wild west on steroids. Isis sees them all as infidels and targets. They are educating their kids to kill, using the US as the face of evil. If that should be lead by Mr Trump, who knows what will explode?

I believe education is the name of the game since it's a live topic, or as we say here, a perishable. My own poor english skills almost evaporated over a decade, simply beacuse I didn't use it. After two years on this forum it's a bit better, but I'm not always able to express myself well enough.

An uneducated human beeing is dangerous. Our collective future and civilisation on this planet relies on education and educated human beeings.

A recent article from HRW:
https://www.hrw.org/news/2016/10/04/why-afghanistan-needs-swedens-attention

Ah well, add the reality of AGW, the Arctic right now with record low extent (sub 15k increase today) and a record early PV-split, together with the prospects of a winter with low AO thanks to low sea ice in Barents and Kara. At the same time I'm watching a uneducated denier running for president. It's absurd.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: October 29, 2016, 01:02:50 PM »
Sleepy: Tried to watch that video again. The message I get is: "the uploader has not made this video available in your country". I'll try YouTube directly. Found it, titled: "ISIS and the Taliban".

You refer to Trump as an uneducated denier. I agree with you. I think what worries me even more than that, is 40% (approx.) of voters, perhaps more are actually going to vote for this idiot. I'll watch that video sometime today or tonight.

"Ha en bra dag"!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 01:49:36 PM by budmantis »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #353 on: October 29, 2016, 01:33:14 PM »
An uneducated human beeing is dangerous. Our collective future and civilisation on this planet relies on education and educated human beings.

No kidding.  Here in the US....it is a HUGE issue....as it is everywhere else.

Democracy can't do well unless you have an educated society.  And I DON'T mean "college educated" (college is OVERSOLD in my opinion).  There ARE things that we DEFNITELY NEED COLLEGE (scientists....engineers....accountants...physicians....etc).

But we need to teach people HOW TO THINK.....HOW TO PROBLEM SOLVE......HOW TO DO BASIC RESEARCH OF ISSUES.....HOW TO LOOK FOR THE TRUTH AND NOT GET SIDELINED BY BIAS....HOW TO QUESTION.....HOW TO BE TRULY SKEPTICAL.  It is really "basic stuff".....but it is stuff MANY PEOPLE don't have...and they have NOT been taught in school.

Remember.....we only do two things during our WAKING HOURS:  (1)  Make decisions, and (2) execute on decisions.  You would THINK that maybe we should learn HOW TO MAKE DECISIONS (ie how to research, how to ask questions, how to be skeptical, who do we bring into the decision making process, etc).

It ISN'T as complicated as it may sound.  It is basic stuff.  But just like basic carpentry or basic electrical work......WE HAVE TO BE TAUGHT FIRST.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 02:14:27 PM by Buddy »
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Sleepy

« Reply #354 on: October 30, 2016, 09:58:21 AM »
Sleepy: Tried to watch that video again. The message I get is: "the uploader has not made this video available in your country". I'll try YouTube directly. Found it, titled: "ISIS and the Taliban".

You refer to Trump as an uneducated denier. I agree with you. I think what worries me even more than that, is 40% (approx.) of voters, perhaps more are actually going to vote for this idiot. I'll watch that video sometime today or tonight.

"Ha en bra dag"!
Hmm, why would Al Jazeera want to restrict viewing in the US? There are some odd conspiratory thoughts about foreigners expressed in the video, but it was the picture of how they bring up their young ones that disgusts me, that's similar to the Talibans (the other video that I mentioned above). ISIL is the same as IS, ISIS or Daesh. Internet today is becoming ugly with search engines providing everything you already has searched for. I'm more interested in the things I've not yet heard of, or understood. That's why I also use different search engines, like ixquick.

Thanks for the greeting in Swedish, I only wish all of you would use that language!  ;D
Spent yesterday freezing my ass off while servicing a car and changing to winter tyres.  :P

Buddy, yes it is basic. I guess basic isn't popular enough. :(
Here they have tried to reform our elemetary for twenty years. It's a lot worse now, especially in the lower grades and the result is that a lot of kids leave the 9:th grade of elementary without basic skills in Swedish and math. Finland did not = they now have better results than Sweden and at a much lower cost for the lower grades. They stuck to basics in the lower grades and spend more money on the higher grades.
All of my kids have lost interest in learning when starting school. :( It's up to the parents nowadays and that is also visible in the statistics, those who have parents that actively support their kids automagically also have kids that do well.

Enough OT from me, here are some voices from your young one's, that gives me a positive feeling for the future:
http://mashable.com/2016/10/29/teenage-views-2016-campaign/

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: October 31, 2016, 05:23:08 AM »
Was surprised to see this article. Although former Republican congressman Joe Walsh wants Trump to win, even he says James Comey's actions on Friday re: the emails was wrong.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/joe-walsh-james-comey_us_58169c33e4b064e1b4b32319

Joe Walsh was the person who shouted "you lie" during Obama's speech to a joint session of Congress back in 2009.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/09/10/obama.heckled.speech/index.html?_s=PM:POLITICS

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: October 31, 2016, 04:17:00 PM »
A couple of notes....:

1) Are we having fun yet :)  Only seven more days of fun....

2)  http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2014/may/12/john-garamendi/prior-benghazi-were-there-13-attacks-embassies-and/

3)  No matter WHO WINS....just remember the words of Albert Einstein:

"The world will not be destroyed by those who do evil, but by those watch them without doing anything."  Albert Einstein....

johnm33

« Reply #357 on: November 01, 2016, 12:51:17 PM »
I read the Clintons have splashed out on an estate in the Maldives, none of which rises more than 2.5m above sea level ???

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 01, 2016, 02:15:28 PM »
States to watch:

1)  Pennsylvania (almost a must have for Clinton)
2)  New Hampshire (tough to see this not going to Clinton as well)
3)  Virginia (tough to see how this doesn't go to Clinton)
4)  North Carolina....this one will be close

If she takes those 4 states.....then I will sleep well....and hopefully be in bed before midnight.

If she doesn't take North Carolina.....but takes the other 3......her "fall back position" is Colorado.  If she then takes Colorado but not North Carolina...then she is good.

If she doesn't take North Carolina AND she doesn't take Colorado.....then she needs to take Nevada AND the 1 other Maine electoral vote in the second district.

I've already voted....but I don't expect Georgia to go her way....but she may get within 3 - 5%.  I expect Ohio and Iowa to go to Trump....as well as Arizona.  Texas...will go to Trump, but it will be interesting to see how close that one gets (much like Georgia).

Weather is expected to be good and warm for almost the whole country:

https://thinkprogress.org/global-warming-election-turnout-7a475cf3d5cd#.d3hbpzkxc

« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 10:57:49 PM by Buddy »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #359 on: November 01, 2016, 10:51:17 PM »
Per the linked article China has called Trump out on climate change:

http://www.salon.com/2016/11/01/when-china-calls-out-donald-trump-on-climate-change-you-know-its-bad/

Extract: "China isn’t mincing words: If Donald Trump becomes president, they expect him to do the right thing and uphold the Paris Agreement, the global accord on curbing climate change."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #360 on: November 02, 2016, 01:49:24 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kkk-donald-trump_us_5818d0c8e4b064e1b4b50849

"The KKK is working to get out the vote-for Donald Trump if course".

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 02, 2016, 02:00:21 AM »
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/11/2016-election-day-chaos-comey-emails-trump-clinton-214409

"How the election could get even crazier on November 9".  By Jeff Greenfield

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 02, 2016, 03:34:20 AM »
W :)W.  W :)W.  W :)W

Good news on the polling front.  One poll out tonight has Clinton winning Florida by 8%.  This poll was done of people who had already voted.  28% of Republicans voted for Clinton in the Florida poll. 

Also.....another poll out tonight has her winning Ohio and Florida...but losing North Carolina (Moody anaylitics)

If she is able to win Florida.....its lights out for Trump.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 02, 2016, 05:07:07 AM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/wall-st-losses-election-jitters_us_5818d47be4b064e1b4b50ec2

"Election anxiety pushes global markets off a cliff".

"Investors have been cautious about taking large positions due to mounting uncertainty about next week's election".

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #364 on: November 02, 2016, 02:46:44 PM »
Speaking as a Brit post Brexit, I'm really hoping we don't get another electoral disaster in the USA next week. A Trump presidency looks like a genuine disaster story.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 02, 2016, 02:56:58 PM »
Speaking as a Brit post Brexit, I'm really hoping we don't get another electoral disaster in the USA next week. A Trump presidency looks like a genuine disaster story.

I think that (Brexit) was a good "wake up call" for those of us in the states.  I think the voter turnout will be high...and that usually benefits the Democrat's.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 02, 2016, 03:01:08 PM »
If the Latino vote is as strong as they say it has been so far....that bodes well for Clinton in Florida, Nevada, and Arizona (and Texas as well....although not enough to turn it blue).

The Republicans have TWO significant issues on their hands going forward:

1)  The continued growth of the Latino vote
2)  Climate change is a bigger issue among Latino voters than it is white voters

Both those things spell trouble for the Republicans in coming elections UNLESS THEY CHANGE THEIR STANCE.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 02, 2016, 08:11:10 PM »

UNLESS THEY CHANGE THEIR STANCE.[/b]

The question is whether Republicans will ever change their stance. I have a feeling that as the white demographic continues to get older and the latinos, blacks and other ethnic groups become a majority at some point, the Republicans are going to find themselves out in the cold. At some point they're going to have to make a course change, or they'll find themselves irrelevant.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 03, 2016, 04:39:33 AM »
I have a neighbor down the road that is a Trump supporter.  He could care less about facts......reason.....or what is appropriate.  He wants Trump regardless.  He is the kind of guy I could see trying to intimidate folks.

I just don't "get" the whole Trump thing.  Why would anyone be proud to be a biggot?

I guess I have never really witnessed OBVIOUS racism in person.  Something tells me that I will witness it in my neighborhood over the next week or two.

Denmark or Italy are sounding better and better..... :)

ChasingIce

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #370 on: November 03, 2016, 04:02:09 PM »
What's up with Nate?

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 03, 2016, 05:22:13 PM »
What's up with Nate?

He's a statistical nerd (a good one)....but a statistical nerd.

He changed ONE LETTER in each row....to transition from CUBS....to....TRUMP.   And in each iteration.....the result was AN ACTUAL WORD.    He couldn't do it with CLINTON.....no way to "transition" from CUBS to CLINTON using real words.

The game 7 was a lot like the presidential race.  Clinton got out to a quick lead...only to have Trump tie it.  Then Clinton got out to a bigger lead.....only to have Trump come back again and tie it.  Then Clinton finally wins in the top of the 10th.

I HOPE....that doesn't mean the election is going into "extra innings" as well!!!   Yikkkkkekeessssssss....

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 05:30:05 PM by Buddy »

ChasingIce

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #372 on: November 03, 2016, 11:55:52 PM »
 ::)

Your guy Nate has a pretty good sense of humor I believe.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #373 on: November 04, 2016, 01:34:41 AM »
Goddess bless America ! :)
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #374 on: November 04, 2016, 01:35:28 AM »
CUBS
CABS
CANS
CANT
CANTO
CANTON
CLANTON
CLINTON

Couldn't resist.

Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #375 on: November 04, 2016, 04:22:44 AM »
Terry...

OK.....you too are nerdy😁

I stand corrected. Well done...

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 04, 2016, 04:31:29 AM »
I guess the big news on the campaign trail is that Melania Trump will be taking on cyber bullying when Donald takes the throne.  Sssssshhhhhhhhhh I don't want anyone to tell her who her first target is going to be.  We'll keep it a surprise🙀
« Last Edit: November 04, 2016, 11:58:45 AM by Buddy »

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #377 on: November 04, 2016, 09:54:37 AM »
shortened version ..

CUBS
CLUB
CLINTON
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 04, 2016, 02:41:30 PM »
The last monthly jobs report before the election is out in the US today....and yes....more good news on the jobs front.

1)  Added 161,000 new jobs in October
2)  Unemployment rate down to 4.9%
3)  Adjusted UP the prior September jobs to 191,000 from 156,000
4)  Wages increasing at 2.7% annual rate
5)  Hispanic unemployment down .7% to 5.7%

Very good news on the jobs front.  And...if you take a look at the graph....Obama took office in late January of 2009...and you can see the progress that has been made.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: November 04, 2016, 04:02:16 PM »
How will I sleep this weekend?  Pretty well.  Not GREAT....but pretty good:

http://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2016-election-forecast/?ex_cid=rrpromo

Also....with the economic numbers on jobs....that is good news as well.

Plus...Nevada looks good....and Florida looks good due to the EXTREMELY high number of Hispanics that have participated in early voting so far.  Just a hunch....they 'aint voting for Trump.   ;)

It is still "winnable" by Trump.....polls are only EDUCATED GUESSES.  We will know a lot more Tuesday night during the first round of states reporting:

1)  Pennsylvania
2)  North Carolina
3)  Florida
4)  New Hampshire

Those will tell me how much sleep I will get....or won't get....on Tuesday night.  Whether it will be an early night or a late night.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 04, 2016, 09:54:21 PM »
There may be a better chance of Clinton taking Florida than I had previously thought.

In 2012 here is the breakdown of the EARLY VOTING 1 week before election day:

Whites 74%
Blacks 13%
Latino's 10%

Now....in 2016...also 1 week from election day.....here is the breakdown:

Whites 70%
Blacks  11%
Latino's 14%

The above doesn't ASSURE anything....but it certainly "leans left"...especially in Florida.

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #381 on: November 04, 2016, 10:31:08 PM »
No idea (as I am from UK) about the leaning if any of the authors - but this seems relevant to the Arctic Sea Ice and scary !

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-zero-out-federal-clean-energy-56cca794790#.7j5kl9a20

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: November 05, 2016, 09:25:00 AM »
I'll be closing this poll on Monday 7th. If anyone wants to change their entry, I suggest doing so now.

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #383 on: November 05, 2016, 10:48:03 AM »
is it opened up for non-US now? - or should we do a separate snap poll for the rest/everyone?

Sleepy

« Reply #384 on: November 05, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »
Not beeing able to vote for real is what disturbs me.

Don’t make a choice that your children will regret
http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2016/11/dont-make-a-choice-that-your-children-will-regret/

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #385 on: November 05, 2016, 10:15:25 PM »
Clinton just basically won NV, and therefore, probably the election.

Early voting there, which ended today, went so overwhelmingly her way (due largely to high Latino turn out), that experts say there is basically no way for Trump to catch up.

Going into this thing, he needed to get every single swing state plus a big or many small states that have been leaning toward Clinton.

"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: November 06, 2016, 12:45:58 AM »
Clinton just basically won NV, and therefore, probably the election.

Not so fast my friend.  It aint over till its over.  And of the polls I have seen.....Nevada is NO SLAM DUNK.

Yea....I know....early voting...yadi..yadi....ya.

Let's HOPE it holds.

Clinton needs to HOLD Pennsylvania.  Remember when I said it was a key?  Still is.

As long as she holds Pennsylvania.....AND doesn't lose Michigan.  Then she needs to take EITHER New Hampshire AND the 1 oddball Maine electoral vote.....OR.....she also needs to take Nevada (also assuming she HOLD Colorado).

She could also take Florida....and that would certainly do it.  OR....North Carolina.

There are still 3 days....and Trump and his band of liars will DO ANYTHING (in combination with FOX News......nice shout out to Bret Baier for crappy pseudo journalism....what a HACK).

Now maybe you understand:  "FOX News:  The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

It's true....all they are....are hacks.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: November 06, 2016, 04:10:26 PM »
Thank God I don't have to vote on this one.  ;)

I wish I could say the same, but I'll vote for Hillary.

Until the last week, I was willing to vote (reluctantly) for Clinton. Now I'm not so sure. I'm thinking of switching my vote to "none of the above".

Voting for Johnson or Stein, or writing in another name is nothing more than a protest vote, IMHO. Trump will not get my vote, which leaves Hillary Clinton. I think back to the nineties when Bill Clinton was in office. He was a good president, but his presidency was beset by controversy and scandal for the entire eight years. A Hillary Clinton presidency in my opinion will be the same, just different controversies and possible scandals.

A second Clinton presidency may be preferable to the alternative, but will it change the political landscape in our country? I don't think so. The Republicans will continue to stonewall in the Congress. There will be further polarization to the right and left.

The only way to repair our dysfunctional system, is a return to the center, a return to civility and bipartisanship. So I ask, what is the quickest way to return to some semblance of a working political system? A Hillary Clinton presidency? I seriously doubt it and when it comes to election day, I'm not sure I'll be able to vote for her. There is no "none of the above" selection on the ballot, but there should be and I think that may be the ultimate protest vote.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2016, 03:00:07 AM by budmantis »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #388 on: November 06, 2016, 05:48:17 PM »
 Budmantis

Please consider what the Republicans have done to your country, and the world, just this century.

I fear Clinton because of her belligerence re. Russia. If this is your concern then by all means leave a protest vote, but if climate change is of any concern then Clinton must beat Trump.

I moved to California in 1963 and have been "politically aware" ever since. I was there when Kennedy was assassinated and when "W" stole the election from Gore.
Imagine where we would be if we'd had Gore for 2 terms instead of "W".

I have doubts about Hillary, unfortunately I have no doubts what Trump will mean for the world.

Allowing Trump in will NOT improve the political climate & will be a disaster for climate change.

Terry

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: November 06, 2016, 06:33:42 PM »
but if climate change is of any concern then Clinton must beat Trump.

....... I was there when Kennedy was assassinated and when "W" stole the election from Gore.
Imagine where we would be if we'd had Gore for 2 terms instead of "W".

I have doubts about Hillary, unfortunately I have no doubts what Trump will mean for the world.

Allowing Trump in will NOT improve the political climate & will be a disaster for climate change.

TRIPLE DITTO.  I am an Independent....fiscal conservative/social moderate.  I have been an Independent all my life...and always will be.  I have NEVER had such an easy decision to make...EVER.

1.  Climate change:  Clinton
2.  Readiness for the job:  Clinton
3.  Trustworthiness:  Both are rotten....however Trump is rotten to the core:  Clinton
4.  Ability to surround herself with good people in office:  Clinton by a MILE
5.  Temperament:  Clinton

Take a look at the people that Trump has now:

A.  Chris Christie....has 4 people he appointed when he was Governor or New Jersey...just now found guilty.  And Trump KNEW about the issue....but STILL hired Christie.

B.  Roger Ailes.....prior CEO of FOX news.  Need I say more?

C.  Newt Gingrich:  Thrown of the Congress by his own party.  On his third marriage....the first two he cheated on.

D.  Rudy Giuliani:  Rudy worked with FOX News to "break" the fake news release last week (way to go Bret Baier....dishonest journalist).

This isn't even CLOSE....AND I DON'T LIKE CLINTON.....BUT I DESPISE TRUMP. 

magnamentis

« Reply #390 on: November 06, 2016, 07:36:01 PM »
to the point, exactly my thoughts as well if you forgive that i'm swiss :-) but still have an opinion.
the last time i wrote an article about us elections, at that time it was about GWB, it cost me an interrogation at immigration upon my next visit haha....

BTW IMO it will be an avelange victory for HC despite all the BS that the media spill.

i don't believe one jota of that Trump made up almost all that he was behind because of that old and worn out email story and then if that were true, the people who change their opinion so quickly because of nothing new are doubtful to be ready to vote at all, but again, i don't believe those media.

last but not least it's about time to hold media responsible for all the destructive stuff they're writing for decades now, mostly only in the interest of either lobbies and/or some reporters to boost their own carrier.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2016, 11:28:20 PM by magnamentis »

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: November 06, 2016, 09:57:23 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/james-comey-congress-emails_us_581f8ff5e4b0aac62485196a

"Hillary Clinton wont face charges for new e-mails, FBI director tells Congress".

Thanks Terry, Buddy and Magnamentis for your comments. Will post more comments later. Currently flying Southwest back to Florida. Their Wi-Fi sucks!

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: November 07, 2016, 02:49:46 AM »
Even with Clinton as President, there will be no movement with climate change legislation, because at best the Senate will be controlled by a small majority of Democrats and the House will remain in the hands of the Republicans.

Because the Republicans are still a force to be reckoned with, it is likely the Senate will have a Republican majority in two years. With Clinton as President, the Democrats will have twelve consecutive years in the white house and as a result, are likely to lose the white house to the Republicans in 2020.

Meanwhile, Clinton will be investigated for various and sundry reasons which will distract from her agenda. Because of all of the aforementioned, I don't believe Clinton will be in a position to help with climate change or any other progressive cause.

OTOH, if Trump gets elected President this year, we are likely to see a Democrat controlled House and Senate in 2018. We are also likely to see a Democrat get elected President in 2020, and hopefully that individual will have a lot fewer skeletons in the closet. There are no guarantees of course, but given the scenario I've just laid out, this country will be in the best possible position to enact climate change and other legislation after the 2020 election.

This doesn't mean that I'm advocating voting for Trump and not voting for Clinton, but at this point, I just don't see how under the circumstances a Clinton presidency will advance the cause we hold dear. It is also why I'm finding it harder to pull the lever for Clinton on Tuesday, even though I probably will anyway.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #393 on: November 07, 2016, 03:58:02 AM »

... So I ask, what is the quickest way to return to some semblance of a working political system? ...

To start, make gerrymandering illegal at state and federal levels.  (Easier said than done!)  "Purple" districts tend to elect relative moderates.  (There are something like 47 of these districts in the US Congress right now, I recall reading recently, out of 435 districts)  When the parties have a large number of moderates, they work with the other side more easily.  Here's a "bright" idea:  require districts in a state to approximate the state's political balance at the time of redistricting (every 10 years), to the extend possible (without significant gerrymandering).   States with strongly polarized populations (e.g. Wyo. or Vt.), with one Representative, might elect an 'extremist', but there would be many more moderates in office who could get things done.

Then provide a civics education to Americans.

To make the change happen fast, some God-awful event would have to happen - Return of Godzilla (or Hal) anyone?
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: November 07, 2016, 12:20:32 PM »
Even with Clinton as President, there will be no movement with climate change legislation, because at best the Senate will be controlled by a small majority of Democrats and the House will remain in the hands of the Republicans.

So.....you would rather allow "President Trump" the ability to UNWIND 8 YEARS OF PROGESS (Trump has ALREADY SAID he would unwind executive orders on climate change).....and take us BACKWARDS......than to allow President Clinton, the opportunity to take us FORWARDS even though there has been movement OF SOME REPUBLICANS (Lindsay Graham is just one) to help with climate change issues?

Really?

If you want the progress that President Obama has made to be UNWOUND....then you should definitely vote for anyone other than Hillary Clinton.  Because that is EXACTLY what Trump will do.  He will "trash" anything he can related to climate change that Obama has done.

JayW

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 292
« Reply #395 on: November 07, 2016, 12:30:20 PM »
A trump presidency?? Just think of how the alt-right, aka racists, will feel emboldened if that dumpster fire is elected.   

And a protest vote, is a vote for trump.  Period.

We can't worry about two years, or four years from now with the prospects of trump looming.  It's hard enough to extrapolate the political climate over the span of months let alone years.   

A trump presidency would by no means guarantee democrats retaking the house or Senate down the line.

Trump would also view his presidency as his right to exact revenge on each and every person who has so much as slighted him.  You know all those mean and horrible people out there, making things up about him.

I can't stand Clinton, but a vote for anyone but her is irresponsible.  Protesting from the inside of a voting booth is pretty weak...

My favorite part is the people who want to "change Washington"  by putting a rich, entitled, white, male, misogynist bigot into office.  Yeah, that'll change things.
"To defy the laws of tradition, is a crusade only of the brave" - Les Claypool

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: November 07, 2016, 12:31:30 PM »
Just a note on weather.  Weather is still expected to be sunny and warmer than usual over most of the country.  The one exception looks to be part of the south around Texas and Louisiana.

That is good news for Clinton.  A stronger turnout benefits the Democrat's.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: November 07, 2016, 12:34:29 PM »
My favorite part is the people who want to "change Washington"  by putting a rich, entitled, white, male, misogynist bigot into office.  Yeah, that'll change things.

And....Trump just happened to "be in bed" with the same people he says he is going to change.  Yea....that will happen.  The chance of that happening is about the same chance I have of winning the US Open this year:  NONE.

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: November 07, 2016, 01:22:56 PM »
Poll locked.

I wonder who that one Trump voter was?

Sleepy

« Reply #399 on: November 07, 2016, 01:26:31 PM »
Maybe someone who thinks a rapid collapse is better?