Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1474021 times)

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Presidential poll for US citizens on the forum
« Reply #700 on: November 29, 2016, 12:34:25 AM »

My hope is that he self-destructs before Jan 20, or people in the right places step up and leverage whatever peaceful mechanism is available to prevent him taking the oath of office.

That is my hope as well. He should continue with his twitter rants, by displaying a lack of maturity, the electors may be hard pressed to vote for him.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: November 29, 2016, 12:41:26 AM »

And when is he going to show his tax returns?....... ;)

No press conference, no tax returns, questionable blind trust, and mostly terrible cabinet appointments so far. Oops, forget about the latest twitter rant! Making bold claims about voter fraud. The list goes on.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Last Edit: November 29, 2016, 02:15:50 AM by AbruptSLR »
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #703 on: November 29, 2016, 01:12:46 AM »
So.....here we are, almost 3 weeks AFTER the election and still no press conference WITH QUESTIONS.

1)  Is he afraid of questions?
2)  Does he NOT want to talk about having less votes than Clinton? Embarrassed?
3)  Is he like the dog who finally caught up to the car.....and now doesn't know what to do?

Where are you Dimwit Donny?  Looking forward to his first press conference with questions.  Should be entertaining......

And when is he going to show his tax returns?....... ;)

He won't do many press conferences.  He has no depth of understanding of the issues, and the press will treat him differently WRT to policy if and when he is president.  He has no stamina, and can't control his temper, and he will lash out at the press in real time.  He will look bad in front of the world.  And the offending members of the press will get banned from the press corp, until it's only Fox News and Brietbart.  And then we just have full on Soviet style disinformation.  That's what they want.

And imagine Trump giving a state of the Union address, or speaking at the UN, or responding to the first mass shooting on his watch.  It will be horrifying and unsettling.  Zero confidence will be inspired.

We will never see his tax returns, because they would show much less wealth than he claims, and likely involvement with Russian interests.  The media and public would be all over it.  Hopefully some good citizen comes forward with an oppo drop, on his taxes or something else that would place him on a very negative and defensive posture, that truly compromises his ability to carry out the US Constitutional duties of president.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: November 29, 2016, 02:09:03 AM »
Nate Silverman explains "Why I Support An Election Audit, Even Though It’s Unlikely To Change The Outcome" in the linked article:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-i-support-an-election-audit-even-though-its-unlikely-to-change-the-outcome/

Extract: "In many ways, undertaking an audit of the election results is tantamount to performing a test for a rare but potentially fatal disease.
An audit very probably won’t detect a conspiracy, but it will reveal information about our voting systems. FiveThirtyEight and most other American news organizations are founded on the premise that more information is better, even if it risks being misinterpreted. I’ve never questioned that premise more than I have over the course of this election. But over the next four years, we’re all going to have to get used to an environment in which nuggets of insight come buried in mounds of misinformation. An audit is as good a place as any to start."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: November 29, 2016, 04:30:11 AM »
The POTUS elect, again of the United States, is in the midst of an epic meltdown currently on Twitter.

On the subject of voter fraud.  He actually may have an aneurysm this evening.

Horrifying that this thing was elected president of the US.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #706 on: November 29, 2016, 04:45:12 AM »
I can't wait for next few months.  I clearly wish the outcome would have been different.....but now we have to deal with the cards we have.

I want to see who the first reporter is that will publicly call him out to his face in a press conference or interview for lying.  It may take a few months after he starts.....but that day will come.

He has such a weak pool of talent to pull from for his cabinet and staff......plus he is such a weak player.....this could really get ugly.

And now.....on his secretary of state nominee.....he is screwed.    If he chooses Mitt.....he will have a VERY divided team.  If he chooses Rudy......he will have someone with a horrible temperament like his own.  Petreus brings in some very bad baggage of his own.  Senator Corker may come to his rescue......we'll see.

I feel like I am watching the Indy 500 waiting for a BIG wreck.

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: November 29, 2016, 03:20:24 PM »
Here's a good video of Jim Grant.....he is an "interest rate guru" (who voted for Trump by the way).  But I watch his views on INTEREST RATES closely.

I expect the equity markets to move UP over the coming years as interest rates rise (pushing money OUT of bond markets...and into the waiting arms of the stock market).  Like any LONG TERM RISE...there will be bouts of INTERMEDIATE DOWNTURNS....but the long term trajectory is up.  Markets are SUPPLY AND DEMAND MECHANISMS.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/09f8e391-c175-363d-9369-23160eaa5360/donald-trump-will-come-to.html

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: November 29, 2016, 03:26:12 PM »
All you need to do....is insert Donald's picture.  The story will likely be much the same:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/south-koreas-park-address-nation-amid-political-crisis-042033609.html

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: November 29, 2016, 05:17:19 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "Priebus confirms that climate denial will be the official policy of Trump’s administration".  Those hoping the The Donald would show some reasonable behavior about climate change, once he is president, are going to be in for a rude awakening:

https://thinkprogress.org/trump-climate-change-bunk-28c5c44cee

Extract: "Reince Priebus tells Fox News that climate science denial is Trump’s ‘default position.’

― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: November 29, 2016, 07:54:34 PM »
One thing of interest for me to watch....is going to be who Trump appoints as Sec of State.  I think it will either be Petreus or Guilianni or Corker (unless Corker doesn't want the job).

I don't think he will appoint Mitt....but he WILL try to get Mitt to "apologize" in order to be considered.  I actually think that Trump would do that.   Trump is TERRIBLY sensitive and thin skinned...and I doubt he has forgotten all the "wonderful" things that Mitt said about him.  He probably wants Mitt to beg for the job....and then cut him off at the knees.

Plus...Mitt's got an oversized ego....he will figure he can apologize and then be a shoe in for the job.

It will be fascinating to watch.....
« Last Edit: November 30, 2016, 02:26:24 AM by Buddy »

charles_oil

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 38
  • Likes Given: 74
« Reply #711 on: November 30, 2016, 12:30:26 AM »
Buddy - I like the concept of "think" skinned !!   His reactivity to the slightest provocation is scary.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: November 30, 2016, 02:27:18 AM »
Buddy - I like the concept of "think" skinned !!

Fixed....thanks.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: November 30, 2016, 02:21:22 PM »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/donald-trump-electoral-college-231980

"Anti-Trump forces launch attack on Electoral College."

"The last-ditch effort to stop Donald Trump is gaining momentum."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: November 30, 2016, 10:53:32 PM »
Sarah Palin being considered for Secretary of the VA.  That is quite the topper.  Someone who can't even speak English.....put together two coherent sentences.......with a cabinet position.

Anybody want to buy some SWAMPLAND?  At first they were going to drain it.....NOW....they are expanding it instead.....and making it into an amusement park.

Comedians are going to be working overtime...  Maybe Jon Stewart will come back.

Speaking of overtime....  The last quarters GDP was revised UP to 3.2% in the US from 2.9%.  Unlike Obama who was handed the Ferrari after it bashed into telephone pole.....I guess Dimwit Donnie will be handed an economy that is humming right along with a brand new Ferrari.  Unemployment at 4.9%....housing looking strong.

He better not screw this one up..... ;)

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: November 30, 2016, 11:43:46 PM »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/donald-trump-electoral-college-231980

"Anti-Trump forces launch attack on Electoral College."

"The last-ditch effort to stop Donald Trump is gaining momentum."

See the linked article entitled: "Electoral College voters form group to block Trump presidency

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/308161-electoral-college-voters-form-group-to-block-trump-presidency

Extract: "Electoral College voters based in Colorado have formed a political non-profit to block Donald Trump from the presidency."

Also, see the linked article entitled: "Make the Electoral College great again: let "conscientious electors" do their jobs".

http://www.vox.com/the-big-idea/2016/11/29/13771920/electoral-college-faithless-electors-independent-trump

&

http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/fed68.asp
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: December 01, 2016, 12:44:24 AM »
The linked article is entitled: "With one phone call, Donald Trump might have upturned America’s relationship with both Pakistan and India."  This provides just one example that Trump is a loose cannon:

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/139082/one-phone-call-donald-trump-might-upturned-americas-relationship-pakistan-india

Extract: "Going against State Department protocol, the president-elect continues to speak to foreign leaders on a personal line and without preparation. Trump is also not releasing read-outs of these calls, so what we know of them tends to come from foreign sources."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: December 01, 2016, 01:31:54 AM »
Per the linked article, Jill Stein filed for a hand recount in Michigan:

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/11/30/recount/94667998/

Extract: "Stein formally requested Wednesday a hand recount of the state’s presidential election, a labor-intensive undertaking that is expected to begin Friday morning and could result in marathon counting sessions until the Dec. 13 deadline.

Republican President-elect Donald Trump won by 10,704 votes over Democrat Hillary Clinton, getting 47.5 percent of the vote to the former secretary of state’s 47.27 percent. Stein received 51,463 votes or about 1.1 percent.

The Green Party nominee’s attorneys left a $973,250 check at the state Bureau of Elections to cover Stein’s legally required fees for seeking a recount of 6,300 precincts."

Edit: Also, from the Jill Stein website:

https://jillstein.nationbuilder.com/recount

Extract: "Wisconsin Increases Recount Filing Fee to Outrageous $3.5-million

Friends, I have an important message for you. We need your help to stand up to the powerful forces trying to block our recount campaign for citizen democracy. We received word yesterday that the final estimate for the filing fee for the recount in Wisconsin is $3.5 million – an outrageous cost increase from the initial estimate of $1.1 million that was given to us by WI state elections officials based on the last statewide recount. But thanks to over 130,000 small donors like you, we have enough money in hand to pay this fee and move forward with the recount!

But because of this exorbitant fee increase – bringing the total money required for recounts in all three states to $9.5 million – we need your help. We’re not there yet, and we need every last penny to reach the $9.5 million benchmark."
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 01:42:32 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: December 01, 2016, 03:14:30 PM »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/clintons-popular-vote-lead-over-trump-breaks-23-million/ar-AAkYqUN?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

"Clinton's popular vote lead over Trump breaks 2.3 million."

As Clinton's lead in the popular vote increases, the issue of who should be President is getting harder to ignore. Although Trump won an Electoral victory, it was be no means a landslide as he claimed.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: December 01, 2016, 03:23:04 PM »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/trump-treasury-foreclosed-homes-mnuchin-232038

"Trump Treasury pick made millions after his bank foreclosed on homeowners."

"Steven Mnuchin's OneWest filed to take a 90-year-old woman's house after a 27-cent payment error."

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: December 01, 2016, 03:44:06 PM »
http://money.cnn.com/2016/12/01/news/economy/bernie-sanders-oped-trump-carrier-washington-post/index.html?iid=H_MKT_News

"Bernie Sanders: Carrier took Trump 'hostage and won'."

"Senator Bernie Sanders lambasted Donald Trump for giving Carrier tax incentives to keep 1,000 jobs in America."

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: December 01, 2016, 07:23:25 PM »
Here's a perspective for those that continue to believe the US election was about "economic anxiety"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/global-opinions/wp/2016/11/30/is-this-the-end-of-american-exceptionalism/?utm_term=.014c49fb715f

And look, all these children are actively expressing economic anxiety as well:

https://www.splcenter.org/20161128/trump-effect-impact-2016-presidential-election-our-nations-schools#the ugliness is new

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: December 02, 2016, 12:39:06 AM »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/donald-trump-michigan-recount-blocked-232076

I wonder what Trump would have said if the shoe was on the other foot? A late night twitter rant, no doubt.

Pmt111500

« Reply #723 on: December 02, 2016, 08:09:24 AM »
I wonder if anyone's done a study on wildfires, floods, hurricanes, drought, possibly including pipeline ruptures and other anthropogenic disasters etc. which would compare the number of these according to the political parties in power? I have no clue what the result would be but it might be an interesting study.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: December 02, 2016, 02:03:36 PM »
In the finance field.....I ALWAYS look for "things that don't make sense."  Whether it is at work...or looking at investments.....I always look for things that don't seem quite right.

It is part of the "roach theory".  Where there is one roach....there are MANY.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/donald-trump-michigan-recount-blocked-232076

If I'm Donald Trump......and I DIDN'T think there were likely to be any significant errors....the one thing I DON'T DO is to try to stop a recount.  Why?  Because a recount...if there weren't any errors...gives me MORE STATURE.  It "proves" that I won.  So this band of people who thought that Trump actually "stole" the election....were wrong.  And after a recount they would likely be quieted some and life could go on.

But here he is.....trying to STOP the recount.  THAT.....raises a red flag to me.  It doesn't mean that something "nefarious" is going on....but it raises a red flag.

I still don't think a recount in all 3 states will come out in Clinton's favor.  Wisconsin is the closest....so it wouldn't surprise me if it "flipped".  But for all 3 to flip would be like the odds of winning the jackpot.

Trump is off to a horrible start.  A gracious winner?  NO.  Continuing to lie?  YES.

The fact that he is surrounding himself with "the swamp" doesn't bode well either.  Especially since they are "inadequate and ill equipped swamp" in many cases.

As some of you know...I'm a big "Duck fan".  And when Oregon announced that Marc Helfreich would "take over the reigns" as head coach 4 years ago.....I was disappointed.  I didn't think he had "the right stuff" to be able to recruit good players AND good coaches.  And sure enough.....year by year....the football program deteriorated as he wasn't able to recruit good people (either coaches OR players). Helfreich was fired (impeached ;)) this week...and Oregon now looks for the coach they should have had in the first place.

THAT....is the same issue that Trump is going to suffer from.  He is ill equipped to take over from the beginning....AND....he isn't able to recruit good folks for his cabinet.  He has...and will continue to hire.......mostly ill equipped folks.  I hope for our sake...he hires Bob Corker for Sec of State.  I don't agree with a lot of what Corker stands for...and he WILL be a yes man for Trump.  But at least he has some intelligence....AND....he also has limitations to his "yes man" status (he will only be pushed SO FAR).

The next year will be fascinating.  And Trump is likely headed for trouble.   

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: December 02, 2016, 03:12:21 PM »
Unemployment rate down to 4.6% and the US added another 178,000 jobs.  That "Obamacare" has really killed the job market hasn't it:)

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/02/504115031/unemployment-rate-drops-to-4-6-percent-lowest-level-since-2007

Remember.....we still have 2 more months of data to come before Comrade Trump takes office that could push that 4.6% rate LOWER STILL.

Trump will take credit for the rate decrease come January....although it is clearly Obama's since Trump won't take office till January 20th.

Expect Obama to tout these continued good numbers LOUD AND CLEAR over the next couple of months.  And this will paint Trump into a corner of finding it harder and harder to IMPROVE ON THOSE NUMBERS.

And if that improvement DOESN'T HAPPEN.....that is when Trump will run into more issues.

Keep in mind that MOMENTUM is on the UPSIDE now in the US job market.....and that momentum will likely carry into at least the MIDDLE of 2017.  It will also make it much harder to go on some wild stimulus program.....because it would only stoke inflation.

Personally....I hope we go down to 4.4% next month.....
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:34:04 PM by Buddy »

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: December 02, 2016, 03:49:16 PM »
More on the jobs front from the linked article below:
====================================
According to several key measures, President Obama is handing over an unusually strong economy to a successor from the opposing party. There have been 81 consecutive months of private-sector job growth, the longest streak on record.

The tightening labor market, after a frustrating delay, has started to bump wages above the rate of inflation. Housing prices are up, and consumers are expressing the highest levels of confidence in nearly a decade. The American economy grew by a healthy 3.2 percent annual rate during the third quarter of this year.
=====================================
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/business/economy/jobs-report.html?_r=0

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: December 02, 2016, 04:03:53 PM »
http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/donald-trump-victory-tour-232081

"Trump rubs salt in the wounds of his rivals."

"The first leg of the president-elect's victory tour turns into an 'I told you so.'

If the election results can be considered a "victory" for Trump at all, it is only a marginal victory at best. Yet he's out there strutting his stuff as if he won by a landslide.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: December 02, 2016, 06:52:29 PM »
Again....keep your eye on the ball.... ;)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/michigan-moves-block-presidential-recount-state-statement-150741389.html

Ron Wyden....Senator from Oregon, is probably THEE MOST ETHICAL person in government.  WATCH HIM CLOSELY OVER COMING DAYS/WEEKS. 

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 02, 2016, 08:20:50 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "Trump Backers Go to Court to Block Vote Recounts in 3 States".  The article indicates that lawyers for Jill Stein are fighting back against the Trump Backers' legal moves:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/02/us/trump-recounts-wisconsin-michigan-pennsylvania.html?_r=0

Extract: "A lawyer for Ms. Stein, Mark Brewer, said Mr. Trump’s campaign was making a “desperate attempt” to avoid a recount. “I would remind everybody that the original source of the allegation that this election was rigged was Mr. Trump,” Mr. Brewer told the board.
The Michigan board split, 2-2, along party lines, meaning the recount objection failed.

The recounts bids are widely viewed as having little chance of making a difference. But Ms Stein, in a statement, said the challenges to them were an effort to put “party politics above country.”

“In an election already tainted by suspicion, previously expressed by Donald Trump himself,” she said, “verifying the vote is a common-sense procedure that would put all concerns around voter disenfranchisement to rest. Trump’s desperate attempts to silence voter demands for recounts raise a simple question: why is Donald Trump afraid of these recounts?”

Ms. Stein has raised millions of dollars for an effort to force recounts in Wisconsin, Michigan and Pennsylvania, states that have recently voted Democratic and where Mr. Trump won by relatively thin margins.
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 03, 2016, 02:45:20 AM »
The linked article is entitled: "Is Trump considering current or former CEOs of Texas-based Exxon Mobil for secretary of state?"  Talk about getting into bed with the devil.

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/energy/2016/12/01/exxon-mobil-ceo-former-ceo-may-considered-secretary-state

Extract: "Might the current CEO of Irving-based Exxon Mobil become the next U.S. secretary of state? Or maybe the prior Exxon CEO, retired since 2005, will get the federal job next year?

Rumors connecting president-elect Donald Trump with both current Exxon CEO Rex Tillerson and former CEO Lee Raymond have been getting multiple media attention. But some rumors are pointing in totally different directions as recently as today."

See also the linked article entitled: "Exxon CEO Tillerson is on short list for secretary of state spot in Trump’s Cabinet".

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/politics-government/article118498788.html
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 03, 2016, 02:53:18 AM »
The linked article is entitled: "Is Trump considering current or former CEOs of Texas-based Exxon Mobil for secretary of state?"  Talk about getting into bed with the devil.

I believe that is a "misdirection" by Trump.  You show people a couple of bad candidates like Romney and Guilianni that people aren't thrilled about.  So.....you show them a couple more THAT ARE WAY WORSE.  Makes Mitt and Rudy look a lot better......and a lot more palletable:)

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #733 on: December 03, 2016, 03:32:34 AM »

Current CEO is way better than Romney or Guliani, as a manager. The past not so by a mile... However he was smarter than Romney, Trump and Guliani combined.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 03, 2016, 02:12:07 PM »
This is priceless.  This is a quote from a Trump surrogate in an interview.  And it IS what they did the whole campaign.  The trouble was.....THE PRESS did a HORRIBLE JOB of calling out lies...as lies.  And they did a HORRIBLE JOB of reporting on what was A FACT...and what was a LIE.  And they CONTINUE to do a horrible job.

Here is her quote:

“One thing that’s been interesting this entire campaign season to watch is that people that say facts are facts. They’re not really facts,” Trump surrogate Scottie Nell Hughes said on “The Diane Rehm Show” on NPR. “It’s kind of like looking at ratings or looking at a glass of half-full water. Everybody has a way of interpreting them to be the truth or not true. There’s no such thing, unfortunately, anymore as facts.”

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-surrogate-claims-no-facts_us_58408f8ee4b0c68e047fd952?

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: December 03, 2016, 03:28:57 PM »
The linked article is entitled: ”Yes, you can blame millennials for Hillary Clinton’s loss".  Apparently, Clinton lost about 5% of the millennial vote apparently to third-party candidates in the final days before the election:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/12/02/yes-you-can-blame-millennials-for-hillary-clintons-loss/?utm_term=.e5d6cb42103f

Extract: "Hillary Clinton's campaign has lots of excuses for losing. There's the electoral college, James Comey, the media's alleged over-exuberance in digging into Clinton's email server, etc. But Clinton campaign manager Robby Mook said Thursday that one particular group is especially to blame: millennials.

Clinton campaign manager Robby Mook also acknowledged that her operation had made a number of mistakes and miscalculations, while being buffeted by what he repeatedly described as a “headwind” of being an establishment candidate in a season where voters were anxious for change.

He noted, for example, that younger voters, perhaps assuming that Clinton was going to win, migrated to third-party candidates in the final days of the race."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 03, 2016, 03:42:02 PM »
I have certainly NOT been optimistic about a Trump presidency all along.  Now...after more than 3 weeks have passed by since the election.....and after viewing what has happened since, and how Trump has handled himself...I am materially LESS CONFIDENT IN HIM.

This truly has the makings of a political disaster.  You can already see the cracks beginning to form...even on the "right" side of aisle.

Some people don't know how to be a good loser...and that is not a good quality.  What may be even worse...is someone who doesn't know how to be a good winner.  And Trump clearly falls into that camp.

He clearly doesn't know how to handle himself as a leader of a country.  And he is likely to continue to "step in it" on issue after issue in the future.  And....come 6 months from now, if the economy begins to slip....the "boo birds" will start to come out in droves.  And he will NOT handle that well.

He is just in WAY OVER HIS HEAD AND HIS ABILITIES....and he doesn't know it.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 03, 2016, 08:45:35 PM »
The linked article is entitled: "Jill Stein sues in federal court to hasten Michigan presidential recount".  It is a good thing that Stein raised millions to fight the forces of darkness, because she is going to need every penny she raised:

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/12/jill_stein_sues_in_federal_cou.html

Extract: "Green Party candidate Jill Stein has filed suit in federal court in an effort to get the presidential recount she requested underway sooner.

In a lawsuit filed late Friday in Detroit's U.S. District Court, Stein's attorney, Mark Brewer, asked for a court order to start the presidential recount immediately instead of next week. The Board of State Canvassers and Michigan Elections Director Chris Thomas are named in the suit.

It's the latest in a series of legal challenges facing the presidential recount, which is moving forward for now after the Board of State Canvassers deadlocked Friday in a 2-2 vote on whether to accept an objection filed by President-elect Donald Trump's legal team.

Currently, a hand recount of the millions of ballots cast in Michigan is slated to begin either late Tuesday or early Wednesday, two business days after the Board of State Canvassers' vote, Thomas said Friday.

Citing the federal "safe harbor" deadline of Dec. 13 -- six days before the Electoral College meets -- Stein's filing claimed further delay in the recount is "effectively denying the right to vote.""
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 04, 2016, 02:15:54 AM »
The linked article is entitled: "Jill Stein Campaign Drops Her Recount Effort In Pennsylvania".  This action should help focus Stein's efforts to the two most promising states, and will help to conserve her funds:

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/12/03/504285672/jill-stein-campaign-drops-her-recount-effort-in-pennsylvania

Extract: "Jill Stein has ended her statewide ballot recount effort in Pennsylvania.

In Pennsylvania, though, Stein's withdrawal brings an abrupt conclusion to a statewide effort that began there less than one week ago. "Recounts will still proceed in a handful of Pennsylvania precincts, but it is far from the statewide recount that Ms. Stein was hoping for," The Wall Street Journal reports.

At this time, there is no indication that Stein's campaign plans to drop its efforts in Wisconsin — where The Associated Press reports a recount is already underway — or in Michigan."
― Leon C. Megginson

Pmt111500

« Reply #739 on: December 04, 2016, 05:16:36 AM »
I just realised how this could happen. The peoples of the southern states have been reading the false horoscopes all their lives. When you think of it, the stars of course cannot affect a 6 pounder newborn. Thus the influence of stars has to happen earlier in the insemination. Every horoscope is thus 10 months backwards from their traditional dates. No wonder there's no second coming in sight, they can't even guess the correct alignement of the stars for the rebirth of our savior king Arthur. (To offer some "rationalisation" for the voting behavior of the fascists in US and Europe.) I think I can mostly put this result un the backburner now, occasional relapses of dissing/trashing etc. the republicans (who call themselves teabaggers) are though likely, but the horoscope mixup started by medieval astrologers is good enough an explanation for this irrational behavior of electoral collegiate.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2016, 07:54:06 AM by Pmt111500 »

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #740 on: December 04, 2016, 02:05:09 PM »
He is just in WAY OVER HIS HEAD AND HIS ABILITIES....and he doesn't know it.

Seeing the Taiwan fiasco, don't forget that since he doesn't know what he doesn't know, he is liable to be manipulated by his advisors to do things from their agenda

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: December 04, 2016, 02:23:56 PM »
Seeing the Taiwan fiasco, don't forget that since he doesn't know what he doesn't know, he is liable to be manipulated by his advisors to do things from their  agenda

ABSOLUTELY.  And they know two things about him:

1)  He's NOT that smart
2)  He is very impatient...and doesn't want to take the time to learn.

This is a train wreck waiting to happen...

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #742 on: December 04, 2016, 03:05:26 PM »
Green Party Changes Strategy, Will Seek Pennsylvania Recount in Federal Court
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/green-party-changes-strategy-will-seek-pennsylvania-recount-n691651
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

mati

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
and so it goes

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: December 04, 2016, 04:56:36 PM »
Good for Danielle Muscato! I think it would have been better if she had kept the tweetstorm down to about 12, but man, she really kicked his ass!

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: December 04, 2016, 05:05:09 PM »
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-first-amendment_us_58431e3be4b017f37fe4e8e4

"Donald Trump Will Be President In Just Over A Month And The Constitution Is Already Under Attack."

Extract: With a little over a month until Donald Trump takes office, the president-elect and his allies have already begun to attack the guarantees of the First Amendment, signaling how imperiled the fundamental freedoms of the Constitution could be under a Trump presidency.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
« Reply #746 on: December 04, 2016, 08:52:17 PM »
Satire from Andy Borowitz.

Obama Politely Asks Trump to Wait Until Inauguration Before Destroying World
http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/obama-politely-asks-trump-to-wait-until-inauguration-before-destroying-world
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: December 05, 2016, 06:50:39 AM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-38167022

"Trump rants against China in Twitter outburst."

"US President-elect Donald Trump has posted a series of tweets criticising China for its monetary policy and its operations in the South China Sea."

Back in the early to mid 70's we had "shuttle" diplomacy with Henry Kissinger as Sec. of State. Now with Trump, we may have a new phrase: Twitter diplomacy!

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: December 06, 2016, 04:11:27 AM »
It begins.  It's the best chance for a peaceful resolution to the current US electoral problem.  Tho the red hats might rise up, but that could be a lot less costly than what would happen after Jan 20

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/05/opinion/why-i-will-not-cast-my-electoral-vote-for-donald-trump.html

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: December 07, 2016, 02:56:23 PM »
All aboard the "Trump Train".  When will the train "jump the tracks" and into the ravine?  It is only a matter of "when".....not a matter of "if".  Again....when you don't hire good folks....bad things happen.  Especially when the worst of those folks is at the top. ;)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/former-cia-official-trump-clown-show_us_584797c3e4b0d0df183702aa