Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Nares Strait thread  (Read 980617 times)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: The Nares Strait thread
« Reply #200 on: April 17, 2014, 03:51:16 PM »
Spring Tide at Cape Defosse Nunavut April 17

Jim Hunt's photo of ice breakup at high tide on another thread shows the effect of the moon on sea ice.

Terry

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #201 on: April 17, 2014, 07:23:57 PM »
Jim Hunt's photo of ice breakup at high tide on another thread

Now it's on this one too!

The latest photo from Martin Hartley:

"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2014, 01:55:30 PM »
It would be interesting to see a RADARSAT image later today, but in the meantime here's Aqua's view from yesterday:

A large area of ice has vanished over the last 2 or 3 days.
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 420
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #203 on: May 02, 2014, 06:51:27 PM »
Our seasonal pinhole is showing up again (encircled):
Have a ice day!

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
  • Liked: 1025
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #204 on: May 06, 2014, 09:41:10 AM »
Bad luck: we get a rare (night view, but this is the Arctic) Landsat 8 image of the first Nares blockage and then it is clouded.

For what it is worth ( the blocking ice is still in place that is all I can say):

Jmo

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #205 on: May 06, 2014, 02:42:22 PM »
ASAR from yesterday interesting.

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #206 on: May 29, 2014, 10:40:38 AM »
Just outside the front door of the Nares Strait the ice has unstuck. First test for the sturdy stopper.

MODIS Terra image 2014-05-28, NASA Worldview: http://1.usa.gov/STftCF

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 29, 2014, 04:53:06 PM »
And getting closer to Nares Strait:
Have a ice day!

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 29, 2014, 07:13:39 PM »
Another few days should tell just how sturdy our stopper really is.

Terry

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #209 on: May 30, 2014, 09:38:03 AM »
Fighting the water in front of you, and then get cracked from behind...

Oh, the irony...

;D
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 01, 2014, 08:37:40 PM »
We can only be days away from the opening of Nares Strait, the cracks from Lincoln Sea is now entering Nares Strait from the north, another interesting aspect is the "open" sea north of Ellesmere Island near and around Ward Hunt Ice Shelf etc.
Have a ice day!

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #211 on: June 13, 2014, 01:54:53 PM »
On this landsat image cracks are appearing now in the ice on both sides of the sturdy stopper.

(click the picture for the full-res image)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #212 on: June 13, 2014, 03:23:29 PM »
Wipneus:

Do you know how it compares to either 2013 or 2012 at the same time of the month?
FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 13, 2014, 03:56:18 PM »
Cracks are appearing now in the ice on both sides of the sturdy stopper.

At least one of which was visible on MODIS yesterday: http://1.usa.gov/1nAZL9X

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #214 on: June 13, 2014, 04:13:32 PM »
Wipneus' Landsat image, when enlarged to 1000% :) shows some thin cracks just south (North is pretty much straight upwards on the image, I think) of the "sturdy stopper" and elsewhere, associated with the two large all-the-way-accross cracks.  There is also what might be a healed zig-zag crack west of the stopper.  (Does an expert have a better explanation?  My undergraduate Air Photography class never looked at ice!)

This Landsat image sure beats the available Modis imagry for making enlargements!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Wipneus

• Citizen scientist
  • Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctische Pinguin
« Reply #215 on: June 13, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
Wipneus:

Do you know how it compares to either 2013 or 2012 at the same time of the month?

I don't think it is much use to compare individual years. Last year the giant iceberg from Petermann glacier held the ice in Nares strait long together. This year we have this rather unusual big piece of ice creating a blockage.

At least for last year you can look at older messages in this thread. Also watch the posts from  Dr. Andreas Münchow, very informative.

Wipneus' Landsat image, when enlarged to 1000% :) shows some thin cracks just south (North is pretty much straight upwards on the image, I think) of the "sturdy stopper" and elsewhere, associated with the two large all-the-way-accross cracks.  There is also what might be a healed zig-zag crack west of the stopper.  (Does an expert have a better explanation?  My undergraduate Air Photography class never looked at ice!)

This Landsat image sure beats the available Modis imagry for making enlargements!

Yes and this time I choose to post a 30m res image. A 15m res version would be about 12MB, which I think is just too much.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 14, 2014, 06:51:51 PM »
"This year we have this rather unusual big piece of ice creating a blockage."

I don't think this plug is a problem, since it only exported sea ice from the north and probably a bit thicker than the average Nares sea ice.

Have a ice day!

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 15, 2014, 10:42:32 PM »
"The Crack" is now clearly visible on MODIS:

Sonia

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #218 on: June 19, 2014, 07:01:27 PM »
Did the sturdy stopper just get split in half?  It's pretty cloudy, but a heavy dark line appears in both the latest Aqua and Terra images on Worldview.

Patrick

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 19, 2014, 07:33:32 PM »
No, that's just the pronounced boundary of a cloud field and its shadow. If you add the 3-6-7 false colour imagery, you'll clearly see the difference between the white clouds and the red/orange ice/snow underneath.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 19, 2014, 07:36:49 PM »
Did the sturdy stopper just get split in half?

Aqua 7/2/1 suggests it's cloud?

Sonia

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 19, 2014, 08:14:50 PM »
Whew, sorry for the false alarm, everyone.  Another beginner mistake.  That did seem a rather spectacular way for the breakup to begin, but with occasional ice movement in the Lincoln lately, it did seem possible.

Otherwise, ice has been getting blue around the margins of of Nares but still seems solidly white up and down most of the length, hm?  I try to resist making predictions but I sure like to watch.  It also seems that as the warmup progresses, some patches darken in the radar images.  I make guesses, but I really have no idea what it means.

Jmo

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #222 on: June 20, 2014, 05:23:34 AM »
I made the same mistake.  To a layman, it sure looks like an unlikely crack!   ;D

Yep, images show in situ melting (eg a small opening of water) behind the bridge, and plenty of blue ice...

Polynya88

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 20, 2014, 03:22:03 PM »
Whew, sorry for the false alarm, everyone.  Another beginner mistake.  That did seem a rather spectacular way for the breakup to begin, but with occasional ice movement in the Lincoln lately, it did seem possible.

Otherwise, ice has been getting blue around the margins of of Nares but still seems solidly white up and down most of the length, hm?  I try to resist making predictions but I sure like to watch.  It also seems that as the warmup progresses, some patches darken in the radar images.  I make guesses, but I really have no idea what it means.

The dark patches you see developing on radar images in spring are firstly areas of wet snow where the radar can no longer penetrate the snow (thus can't provide backscatter from the underlying sea ice surface) and instead bounces off away from the radar antennae, and thus you get no return and a dark area on the image. More dark areas will appear as melt progresses, until thaw holes develop in summer and the surface melt water drains away thus revealing the ice surface, then tones will increase to light grey again. I've specialized in interpreting radar imagery for 30 yrs... :)

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #224 on: June 20, 2014, 05:45:11 PM »
I have tried to read up on this but maybe you can explain this more quickly, polynya88. Why do the ASAR images show a "bright side" and a "dark side" on mountainous regions, the direction seems to change in different passes. I think it is do with the interferometry system using two emitters meaning that what the light / dark intensities show is actually gradients in elevation, i.e. it shows roughness more bright than smooth surfaces. Does that fit with your experience?

Polynya88

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 20, 2014, 06:41:09 PM »
I have tried to read up on this but maybe you can explain this more quickly, polynya88. Why do the ASAR images show a "bright side" and a "dark side" on mountainous regions, the direction seems to change in different passes. I think it is do with the interferometry system using two emitters meaning that what the light / dark intensities show is actually gradients in elevation, i.e. it shows roughness more bright than smooth surfaces. Does that fit with your experience?

Radar is a side-looking sensor, so targets that are perpendicular to the look-direction are bright. Also, due to the incidence angle of the imaging beam, the back-side of large features are sometimes in a radar shadow, thus black in  tone. Rough surfaces produce a bright tone, smooth ones not so much. The satellite platform is in a different location/orbit for every image, so the look direction, incidence angle, and azimuth is always changing thus bright targets vary with each pass.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 21, 2014, 06:40:48 PM »
A little action at Nares Strait:
Have a ice day!

Sonia

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 22, 2014, 01:24:29 AM »
Yes, I just saw that (and clear as it is, looked at the 7-2-1 image as well.)

I like to speculate about the mechanical forces an ice arch, and one thing I've been wondering is if the Huboldt glacier plays a part.  It's easy to see the ice-water boundary and think of that as the arch, but I wonder in this case if advancement of the glacier doesn't add enough compression to make the "real" arch a broad band stretching from the Humboldt across to Ellesmere.

Yuha

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #228 on: June 22, 2014, 11:05:35 AM »

There was a visible crack one day earlier and a new crack has appeared about 20 km northward:

Andreas T

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #229 on: June 23, 2014, 06:16:18 PM »
poor visibility but interesting pattern of break especially regarding Sonia's idea about stresses from Humbold glacier. As the ice edge retreats up Nares strait one would expect ice to push in from the direction of Humboldt. Would be interesting to compare with other years, but I wanted to get this out quickly

image from todays aqua modis https://earthdata.nasa.gov/labs/worldview/?switch=arctic&products=baselayers,MODIS_Aqua_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor~overlays,arctic_graticule_3413,arctic_coastlines_3413&time=2014-06-23&map=-716783.840331,-1180901.092814,-66543.840331,-734949.092814

nukefix

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #230 on: June 23, 2014, 06:47:23 PM »
Radar is a side-looking sensor, so targets that are perpendicular to the look-direction are bright. Also, due to the incidence angle of the imaging beam, the back-side of large features are sometimes in a radar shadow, thus black in  tone. Rough surfaces produce a bright tone, smooth ones not so much.
Yes, and if a digital elevation model is available the inherent distortion in radar images can be corrected in a process called geocoding/orthorectification and radiometric terrain correction. the problem is that the DEMs of northern areas are not always that great.

The satellite platform is in a different location/orbit for every image, so the look direction, incidence angle, and azimuth is always changing thus bright targets vary with each pass.
Partially correct, the radar orbit repeats itself within an orbital tube of a few hundred meters, so for most practical purposes there are a limited number of imaging geometries, that divide into two groups, namely images from ascending or descending orbits. Ascending and descending scenes map the terrain from two almost opposing directions, so the image distortions are very different in these two types of scenes. With a good DEM the distortions can be corrected, however.

Polynya88

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 24, 2014, 03:02:57 PM »
Radar is a side-looking sensor, so targets that are perpendicular to the look-direction are bright. Also, due to the incidence angle of the imaging beam, the back-side of large features are sometimes in a radar shadow, thus black in  tone. Rough surfaces produce a bright tone, smooth ones not so much.
Yes, and if a digital elevation model is available the inherent distortion in radar images can be corrected in a process called geocoding/orthorectification and radiometric terrain correction. the problem is that the DEMs of northern areas are not always that great.

The satellite platform is in a different location/orbit for every image, so the look direction, incidence angle, and azimuth is always changing thus bright targets vary with each pass.
Partially correct, the radar orbit repeats itself within an orbital tube of a few hundred meters, so for most practical purposes there are a limited number of imaging geometries, that divide into two groups, namely images from ascending or descending orbits. Ascending and descending scenes map the terrain from two almost opposing directions, so the image distortions are very different in these two types of scenes. With a good DEM the distortions can be corrected, however.

Correct you are. I didn't realize the orbit varied by only a few hundred metres. But if we are getting into details anyhow, there is also the issue of signal polarization. The polarization of the sent and received radar signal has a big effect on how things are depicted on an image. Attached is an example of quad polarization radar of an ice island - tone of an ice island can be near black or near white; you pick!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: June 24, 2014, 04:39:45 PM »
More cracks in Nares Strait around Hans Ø ( Hans Island)

Please click on image to enlarge!
Have a ice day!

Sonia

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 26, 2014, 07:15:37 PM »
The remaining arch this morning struck me as looking like a flying buttress.  Now, we don't expect it to hold back Ellesmere Island from collapsing on Greenland, but if you pick the Humboldt as your frame of reference, maybe Ellesmere does seem to be pressing in?

There's a nice cloud-free view of the Nares from space currently.  A few new small cracks are visible.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2014, 07:51:30 PM »
They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa:

Please click on image to enlarge!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 08:00:44 PM by Espen »
Have a ice day!

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2014, 09:07:43 PM »
They're Coming to Take Me Away, Ha-Haaa:
I'm rather fond of side B of the 45 rpm record on which that song was released. ;D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They're_Coming_to_Take_Me_Away,_Ha-Haaa!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Patrick

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 27, 2014, 10:50:44 PM »
Nice little detail in that last image: Hans Island produces a subtle vortex street, thereby indicating the northern wind over Nares Strait.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 29, 2014, 09:00:18 AM »
Han Island Weather.
http://dalriada.sams.ac.uk/aws_hans/

Terry

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 29, 2014, 09:58:42 AM »
Nice little detail in that last image: Hans Island produces a subtle vortex street, thereby indicating the northern wind over Nares Strait.

That is Franklin Ø, Hans Ø is bit further north:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zbdKKg4fRHYo.kjkUmepfXc9A
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 29, 2014, 12:11:19 PM »
Final break up is underway:
Have a ice day!

Sonia

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 29, 2014, 05:35:04 PM »
Gosh, what terrible image!  There must be some problem in the decoding or reconstructing or something.

johnm33

« Reply #242 on: June 29, 2014, 06:39:50 PM »
There's a clear shot of it on worldview http://1.usa.gov/1ofJCqP take a look at that glacier on Ellesmere too.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 29, 2014, 06:45:43 PM »
Gosh, what terrible image!  There must be some problem in the decoding or reconstructing or something.

It is a prelim image.
Have a ice day!

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 29, 2014, 07:43:19 PM »
Here is a better one:

Have a ice day!

Sonia

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 29, 2014, 08:40:05 PM »
That's better  :)  What an amazing catastrophe.  I know, it's an annual thing, but it's still awesome.  Neven's Nares breakup special edition should be soon now.  But there's still a little suspense in how long the remaining ice will last.  I think it was last year that an arch just below the Hall Basin hung on for several days before succumbing to the inevitable.  Earlier this week I looked at the little crack that formed at Franklin Island and wondered if the arch it formed would be sturdy.  But nope! today's images show a whole succession of arch-shaped cracks blowing right by it.  It's also fascinating to me that this breakup happens in the "white" ice more than in the "blue" ice.  Somehow I imagine the blue ice softer.  Maybe that's just it.  Maybe it gives a little, while the more brittle ice is forced to crack.

The suspense will shift soon to the Lincoln.  MYI was being lost at an astonishing rate last year before the "sturdy stopper" ended the export season.  Since then there was that big fracturing event in the Lincoln, and most recently polynyas have appeared on either side of the Lincoln.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #246 on: June 29, 2014, 09:29:01 PM »
Neven's Nares breakup special edition should be soon now. 

I will try to put something up at the end of the week. I invested a lot into the latest ASI update, so I want that to stand for a while.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 29, 2014, 09:53:52 PM »
This image gives a better view over the situation, cracks now passed Hans Ø:
Have a ice day!

Patrick

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 30, 2014, 03:29:23 PM »
That is Franklin Ø, Hans Ø is bit further north:

https://mapsengine.google.com/map/edit?mid=zbdKKg4fRHYo.kjkUmepfXc9A
Hmm, there seems to be some kind of misunderstanding. I think we both have the correct spot as Hans Island in our mind. So just to clarify I added some labels to the satellite image, the vortex street is marked by red lines.

Espen

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: July 02, 2014, 04:46:57 PM »
Another brick in the wall:
Have a ice day!