Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Thwaites Glacier Discussion  (Read 33076 times)

Stephan

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 310
  • Likes Given: 151
Re: Thwaites Glacier Discussion
« Reply #200 on: December 24, 2019, 03:14:07 PM »
Evaluation of the latest Sentinel-1 photo of TEIS.

The latest photo shows some new and widened cracks (marked in red). I added the movement direction with yellowish green arrows. The northern part seems almost immobile (= grounded). I see a shear zone (pale dotted line), SE of it a small movement in NE direction is apparent.
The "Thwaites Ice Tongue Cork" has been very mobile (compared with Nov 3, 2019), heading into NNW direction. All icebergs behind it follow in roughly the same speed.
Compared to PIIS everything here is much slower, but changes are obvious.

See attached picture.
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

Stephan

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 310
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #201 on: December 24, 2019, 07:12:18 PM »
Analysis of Thwaites Ice Tongue as of 2019-12-22.

I compared the images between Nov 03 and Dec 22. The rift in the center of the Thwaites Ice Tongue has widened massively. Open water is visible in it. Yellowish green arrows show the flow direction. A new row of icebergs prepares for being peeled-off in the next weeks (red line). The grounded iceberg in the NW is still grounded (pale blue circle). I have no idea why there is open water in the SW of this picture. Looks like one of the small icebergs has sunk  ;) and has left open water behind (pale magenta circle).

See attached picture.
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

baking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 97
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #202 on: December 24, 2019, 08:08:40 PM »
Icebergs don't sink. ;)  The pink circle is a polynya caused by warmer currents coming up from under the ice shelf and melting the sea ice when they hit the surface.  They are used by scientists to estimate the locations of basal rifts under the shelves and to model the under-shelf currents.  There are quite a few of them around Thwaites right now since the seasonal melting has started.

blumenkraft

• Nilas ice
  • Fans of Hans Club - circa 2018
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 863
  • Likes Given: 1191
« Reply #203 on: December 27, 2019, 11:33:51 AM »
Minor calving between 23th and 26th.
The apocalypse is already here; it's just not very evenly distributed.