Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Poll

What do I plan for Buy Nothing Day ?

Nothing special, business as usual.
2 (50%)
I will post something or talk about it around me.
1 (25%)
I'll be active on the street and or the social medias.
0 (0%)
I'll prefer Black Friday
1 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: November 25, 2023, 01:07:37 PM

Author Topic: What do I plan for Buy Nothing Day ?  (Read 2621 times)

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
What do I plan for Buy Nothing Day ?
« on: November 22, 2023, 01:07:37 PM »
I'll probably post in my WhatsApp status the drawing below with a link on an article I wrote (don't know yet if the link is possible on WhatsApp.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/black-friday-buy-nothing-day-etienne-bayenet-eumye

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2055
  • Likes Given: 1994
Re: What do I plan for Buy Nothing Day ?
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2023, 02:21:25 PM »
I voted the first option. I do not do Black Friday or Halloween or such things. And i don´t buy things unless i need them and even then i prefer to shop locally even if it probably cheaper to get something on line.

Everyday should be buy nothing day unless you really need it.

Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5309
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2023, 02:44:35 PM »
Everyday should be buy nothing day unless you really need it.
What!!

It's your duty to consume as much and even more than you can afford.
Reducing consumption threatens the fabric of our society and should be illegal.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3522
  • Likes Given: 758
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2023, 03:44:29 PM »
You are a true believer. Blessings of the state. Blessings of the masses. ... Let us be thankful we have commerce. Buy more. Buy more now. Buy more and be happy.- THX-1138
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1339
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2023, 03:55:43 PM »
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

John_the_Younger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2023, 04:50:23 PM »
The question arises: Why would I want to buy "nothing"?  OK, so much of what I buy turns out to be nothing (of any value) a few hours, days, months or years later.  Often it even ends up with having anti-value, meaning it costs more to get rid of it.  Even the carrot I bought yesterday will end up (transformed) in my septic tank which will some day need pumping.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5309
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2023, 05:20:15 PM »
Even the carrot I bought yesterday will end up (transformed) in my septic tank which will some day need pumping.
"Alas, poor carrot, I knew thee well"

Your carrot could inspire a poem?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2023, 08:07:52 PM »
The question arises: Why would I want to buy "nothing"?

Well it saves money. Nothing also stores well. You can just keep stacking it in the same tiny space. Cleaning nothing is done in no time etc.

Nothing is actually a great good. If you appreciate nothing enough you probably have greater appreciation for the things we actually do need plus you have more leftover funds for the useful things.

This also spills over into activities. How many phone bleeps do you need to respond to? And other things like trying to do way too much. There needs to be nothing time too just to ponder things.

Nothing is great and it´s cheap.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Latent

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2023, 11:04:27 PM »
Well I hadn't heard of this!  My husband, has actually set himself the challenge of not buying any new clothes at all (as in 'new' new or charity shop 'new') in 2023.  This isn't such a hardship for him as he hates clothes shopping  ;) - but we're nearly in December and he has kept to it.  Don't tell the 'powers that be' that we are wrecking the economy by not consuming!
I for my part haven't been quite so abstemious however I am trying now to buy linen rather than cotton clothing.

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5264
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2023, 09:23:11 AM »
I mean I bought a new pair of cross country skis but I honestly forgot it was black friday, I just happened to have the day off so it was just a bonus to not hafta shop with the weekend crowd. (ski season just opened here, ski shops are a zoo on weekends now) My old set lasted me since 1991, can't complain.

Anyway, I saw this recently, made me chuckle:

If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2023, 05:20:48 PM »
That one is very good. Enjoy the new skis and may they last as long!

John_the_Younger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 65
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2023, 07:49:13 PM »
May you enjoy their use twice as long!

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2023, 09:43:19 PM »
I have to say that I am generally quite disappointed by the results of my "consume less" campaign based on Buy Nothing Day and the Invisible Protest https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,4036.msg377325.html#msg377325 .
Very few people reacted, and probably none forwarded any content. No organization or influencer I contacted decided to talk about the concept of buy nothing day or a reduced consumption.
I think I have to make this sentence of Ruskin mine :
That your neighbour should, or should not, remain content with his position, is not your business; but it is very much your business to remain content with your own.
I guess that the way is to be an example, and to inspire people by what you do, maybe talking doesn't make much sense.

Here a quote from Thoreau :
It is not so important that many should be as good as you, as that there be some absolute goodness somewhere; for that will leaven the whole lump.
But I don't feel that I can come close to absolute goodness, I don't think anybody can, we are humans after all. There are some exceptions, but very few and they are not really mainstream nowadays. If you would ask them, they'd probably also would say that they are far away of absolute goodness.

There seem to be a split in society between people who try to reduce their impact on the world as an interdependent system aka Gaia and the ones willing to consume like if there was no tomorrow, and that communication between both sides doesn't seem to work anymore.
I feel that the green political party in Luxembourg did a bad job during their years in government because they didn't achieve that people would be willing to make an effort to save our Gaia but just pushed the ecological transition with rules that are annoying many people and increasing general costs of living.

Just for information, the link between Thoreau and Ruskin is Gandhi. In a book I read recently, he names them as major inspiration to his thinking.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 763
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2023, 01:40:14 AM »
Etienne, I plant acorns for trees I will never see fruit but I plant them anyway. Most of us have little influence , mostly nobody listens . The fact that my solar/ batteries have paid back the investment it took to buy them seems more important to most people than any potential carbon savings they achieve over their lifetime of use. Yet it is important to push forward and yes offer some alternative to BAU.
There is likely to be some thinning of the human herd because we refuse to acknowledge our individual contribution to what has gone wrong , and mostly we are more interested in keeping up rather than cutting new trails.
 I appreciate that you try.
 It is acorn season again, if you’d like an example of how some future humans might live without machines and overlords it is about as good an example as I can find. My wife is looking forward to this years challenge . No grocery stores for as long as we can go . If you can influence your significant other it is maybe as far as our influence reaches. Teach your children well .

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2023, 08:45:46 PM »
WHAT…is Truth? A difficult question; but I have solved it for myself by saying that it is what the voice within tells you. How then, you ask, [do] different people think of different and contrary truths? Well, seeing that the human mind works through innumerable media and that the evolution of the human mind is not the same for all, it follows that what may be truth for one may be untruth for another, and hence those who have made these experiments have come to the conclusion that there are certain conditions to be observed in making those experiments…
It is because we have at the present moment everybody claiming the right of conscience without going through any discipline whatsoever, and there is so much untruths being delivered to a bewildered world. All that I can in true humility present to you is that Truth is not to be found by anybody who has not got an abundant sense of humility. If you would swim on the bosom of the ocean of Truth, you must reduce yourself to a zero. (YI, 31-12-1931, p. 428)
Truth and Love – ahimsa-is the only thing that counts. Where this is present, everything rights itself in the end. This is a law to which there is no exception. (YI, 18-8-1927, p. 265)
https://www.mkgandhi.org/ebks/mindofmahatmagandhi.pdf
Page 64

The book I am reading now is "All men's are brothers" which is a compilation.
https://www.mkgandhi.org/ebks/AllMenAreBrothers.pdf
« Last Edit: December 04, 2023, 06:04:46 AM by etienne »

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1017
  • Likes Given: 1048
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2023, 09:14:38 PM »
nearly every day for me is a 'BND' .
There is no death , the Son of God is We .

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2023, 05:33:26 PM »
One more quote by Gandhi
Man should earnestly desire the well-being of all God's creation and pray that he might have the strength to do so. In desiring the well-being of all lies his own welfare; he who desires only his own or his community's welfare is selfish and it can never be well with him..... It is essential for man to discriminate between what he may consider to be good and what is really good for him.

Means and end are convertible terms in my philosophy of life. (SB, 13)
They say 'means are after all means'. I would say 'means are after all everything'. As the means so the end. There is no wall of separation between means and end. Indeed the Creator has given us control (and that too very limited) over means, none over the end. Realization of the goal is in exact proportion to that of the means. This is a proposition that admits of no exception. (SB, 37)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 07:56:01 PM by etienne »

ShortBrutishNasty

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2024, 07:06:47 AM »
I mean I bought a new pair of cross country skis but I honestly forgot it was black friday, I just happened to have the day off so it was just a bonus to not hafta shop with the weekend crowd. (ski season just opened here, ski shops are a zoo on weekends now) My old set lasted me since 1991, can't complain.

Anyway, I saw this recently, made me chuckle:

Oh, HapHazard!!  You dog, you!!!!

That was totally badass!!!  Sorry it took me 45 days to find it!!!

I love you, man!!!!!
Thomas Hobbes , English philosopher 1588-1679

ShortBrutishNasty

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2024, 07:09:28 AM »
Well, ****.  When you're real olde, this stuff is diff.   Hap Hazzard!!!  Oh, yeah !!!  Eggzellent!!!!

mr. Short B and Nasty
Thomas Hobbes , English philosopher 1588-1679