Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Café  (Read 419492 times)

SteveMDFP

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: Arctic Café
« Reply #1300 on: October 05, 2018, 06:57:21 PM »
Test your knowledge of the Arctic seas, basins and shelfs in this 100 piece puzzle i made of a map Uniquorn posted. Hope it works.

https://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=0a4eb46199b7

Nifty !!!!

I might suggest cross-posting this to Arctic Maps:

https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,417.0.html

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 244
  • Likes Given: 174
« Reply #1301 on: October 05, 2018, 07:44:10 PM »
Test your knowledge of the Arctic seas, basins and shelfs in this 100 piece puzzle i made of a map Uniquorn posted. Hope it works.

https://www.jigsawplanet.com/?rc=play&pid=0a4eb46199b7

Awesome, I needed 16 min 20 sec.
Compare, compare, compare

Avalonian

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1302 on: October 05, 2018, 08:28:28 PM »
11.51.  8)

Thanks for a nice distraction, Ivica!  :)

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1303 on: October 06, 2018, 09:42:53 AM »
La musica di notte

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: October 06, 2018, 09:04:15 PM »
Zenzile Miriam Makeba: Zulu song "Mbube", ...

Edit:
Rhythm in everything  she does, Sadhguru might like it   :) 

« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 11:10:20 PM by ivica »

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: October 07, 2018, 11:25:15 AM »
Our Second Brain

Not sleeping enough, skipping breakfast and too much coffee made my 2nd Brain alarmed, generating neurogenic contractions of smooth muscle in the gastrointestinal tract. I've to respond.

< The most complex laboratory in the universe known to us - how much it costs? Every one of us have one. Who controls it? The owner or a hacker? Where is the keyboard? User Manual? >

What A Wonderful World

"Hey Pops, what you mean 'What a wonderful world'?

< Reaction NOT, Respond YES :: Compulsively NOT, Consciously YES >

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: October 08, 2018, 12:18:23 PM »
3 pertinent individual! questions: who am I, where have I come from, where am I going.
"
... you will see people, most of them driving their dream machines on Bangalore streets, all right?
How many are driving joyfully? ... If the traffic light takes ten more seconds they are freaking in their dream machine. Is it not a blessing that you bought this dream machine after working for whatever number of years, ...
The traffic is making sure, you stay in your dream machine for a little longer, what's your problem?
"

Quack, LukeWeAreChange con-spiritualy on some parts of it.

:) 

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: October 08, 2018, 09:53:02 PM »

Source

Just enjoying how much attention that cats put to photographer   :) 

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: October 09, 2018, 12:45:09 AM »
Kerala Flood Aftermath

Battling snakes and sewage to clean a city, BBC News, 2 October 2018
Isha’s On-Ground Action, Aug 30, 2018

Sadhguru @SadhguruJV 5:53 AM - Aug 24, 2018: "No matter who you worship or where you are born, human compassion and kindness trumps all. This is the power of consciousness. -Sg #KeralaFloodRelief"

Folk song from Kerala with English tune: Be Free (Pallivaalu Bhadravattakam), Published on Jan 9, 2017
btw: I admire this Kerala's Jain very much, he kinda turned my brain 'upside-down' and 'prepared' me for Sadhguru :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:50:34 AM by ivica »

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 70
« Reply #1309 on: October 09, 2018, 12:58:24 AM »
From the BBC article:"The women exchanged the saris they usually wore in favour of salwar kameez "

That's pretty rad, even for Kerala women.

sidd

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: October 10, 2018, 12:00:02 PM »
Nature is beautiful but not mystical

Joy Christian wrote:

In this thread, I want to discuss what in my view is the true difference between "classical" and "quantum" correlations and why "stronger-than-quantum" correlations are never observed in Nature. I have worked on this question for the past eleven years, starting with a short paper in 2007 and culminating in this latest: http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/ ... 5/5/180526.

So, then, what do the so-called Bell-test experiments test? Do they not distinguish the "quantum" correlations from "classical" correlations? Well, not quite. The results of the above paper suggest that when certain correlations in the Bell-test experiments are seen to exceed the absolute bound of 2 on the Bell-CHSH inequality, then those correlations stem from those aspects of spacetime geometry and topology that depend on the non-commutative quaternionic or octonionic numbers. If, instead, they depended on the commutative real or complex numbers, then for those correlations the absolute bound of 2 on the Bell-CHSH inequality would not be exceeded. That is all there is to it. It is both beautiful and non-mystical. There is no such thing as irreducible randomness, non-reality, "quantum" spooky-action-at-a-distance, non-signaling non-locality, or any other kind of silly voodoo in Nature. Nature is beautiful but not mystical.
(my font messing)
Also, he proposes a very simple experiment, costing no more than a few hundred thousand dollars, to test it. Sadhguru might like it, geometry/topology is very important to him .

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: October 31, 2018, 10:07:00 AM »
21st Century Tribes

Majority of the voter population is a tribe member. No matter what their leadership do - tribe defend&protect them&that.
No democracy that way. Words are cheap, tribe alters their meaning - so to make it short:
In a living democracy you should never take a stance, this is something we have forgotten. Right now, in the United States I think only about four to five percent of the people decide the election. The rest of the people are already fixed. A democracy means that you evaluate the stance you want to take every time. And that is never a permanent stance.
http://www.theshillongtimes.com/2018/10/14/in-a-living-democracy-you-should-never-take-a-stance/
He comes from the largest democracy in the world.

Democracy...

"if i am too abrasive for you..."
< off >

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 75
« Reply #1312 on: November 27, 2018, 03:33:47 AM »
Not really the Arctic, but it's cold here.
First picture from Mars by InSight.

I thought this was funny.
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: December 05, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »
Greta Thunberg

Pinned Tweet Greta Thunberg @GretaThunberg Sep 16: "Fridays for future. The school strike continues! #climatestrike #klimatstrejk #FridaysForFuture"

”So we have not come here to beg the world leaders to care for our future. They have ignored us in the past and they will ignore us again. We have come here to let them know that change is coming whether they like it or not.”, Alai

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/12/04/we-have-not-come-here-beg-world-leaders-care-15-year-old-greta-thunberg-tells-cop24

< thanks to Sleepy et al. who already mentioned Greta elsewhere >

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: December 17, 2018, 08:34:24 AM »
Inclusive Economics

Sadhguru: Interview with CNBC at the World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland, 2006.
Enabling the World, Huffington Post, 05/17/2010 04:15 pm ET Updated Dec 06, 2017:
For the first time, we are capable of addressing every human problem on this planet — nourishment, health, education, ecology - you name it, we can address it. We have the necessary resources, capabilities and technology for the very first time, but whether we will do it or not simply depends on how inclusive our experience of life is. If you stand here and experience this planet as yourself, I don’t have to tell you, “Take care of it.” Every human being would do their best. In our lives, if we do not do what we cannot do, that is not a problem, but if we do not do what we can do, that is a disaster. And right now, what we can do compared to what we could do 100 years ago is so different, so incredibly different, but what’s missing is an all-inclusive consciousness, an all-inclusive experience of life. If we truly have to create solutions that are relevant for all, an experience of absolute inclusiveness has to happen to humanity, particularly for the leadership. And this is possible.
(my bold)

His blog at https://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/sadhguru-j-vasudev has a hundred entries.

Motto: "where there is a problem there is also an opportunity"

Nemesis

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #1315 on: December 17, 2018, 11:54:58 PM »
Sadhguru, when he was asked about climate change, said in some interview (refering to some folks in California owning 2 Ferrari and one Tesla)  "you cannot curtail human aspirations, you can only curtail human population, the best thing is to curtail human population." Sadhguru talks about the nonexistent per capita eco- footprint of poor indian masses, but doesn't mention the co2- footprint of these californian folks owning 2 Ferrari and 1 Tesla :)

He made similar statements when he was asked about the material wealth of several gurus in some other interview. But if you cannot curtail human aspirations, then you cannot curtail human population, because procreation is one of the most urgent aspirations of all beings, right? The climate proplem is deeply rooted in excessive global economic inequality, that's a well researched fact. But still rich folks will defend their wealth and multiply their wealth, while telling the masses to curtail the population.

Imagine ten people and 10 loafs of bread:

1 person got 9 loafs of bread for himself and the other 9 got 1 loaf of bread altogether. Now that one person tells these 9 persons:

" You need to curtail your population, that's the best thing to do! We're all in this together, all equally responsible for the very same shit, so cut down your population!"

I tell you how this neat little story will end:

Extinction.

You cannot curtail human population, if you cannot curtail human aspirations and if you cannot curtail human aspirations, we are doomed. The wealthier someone is, the higher his ecological footprint and therefore his responsibility. Most children are born in poor countries, people there can't afford any financial pension ect, so their children are their only wealth. Economic inequality, the aspirations of a few at the cost of the many is at the root of (not just) climate change. Human society is not in social balance, so Nature is not in balance as well.
" Death does not become life because death is not something different from life.  Death is conditionality of unconditionality, and life is conditionality of unconditionality.  So it is the same thing.  So we do not say “death become life.”
Therefore death is called “no-death.” "

- Shunryu Suzuki

Nemesis

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: Today at 12:21:14 AM »
Sadhguru is also known as Jaggi Basudev:

"... Jaggi who was a low profile Guru shot to fame following his series in the popular weekly Ananda Vikatan titled ‘Athanaikum Aasaipadu’, which translates as, ‘desire for everything’. This is directly in contrast with the teachings of Buddha, which says, ‘desire is the root cause of all evil’. This series in Ananda Vikatan catapulted him to fame.  But he was yet to enter the power corridors..."

https://www.savukkuonline.com/13378/

https://www.newslaundry.com/2018/08/10/stream-of-bullshit-when-kangana-met-sadhguru
" Death does not become life because death is not something different from life.  Death is conditionality of unconditionality, and life is conditionality of unconditionality.  So it is the same thing.  So we do not say “death become life.”

- Shunryu Suzuki

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: Today at 08:20:38 AM »
Nemesis, welcome to the forum!
Continues here

Nemesis

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: Today at 02:50:33 PM »
Hey ho ivica, thanks for the warm welcome :) "Bashing"? I just talked about some facts about Jaggi Basudev aka Sadhguru, things he said in his videos :) You call that "bashing"? And then you refer me to some place else showing beautiful pictures showing Jaggi Basudev and some children? Everyone can make pictures with children. I stick to the facts. Let's stick to what Sadhguru actually said:

" you cannot curtail human aspirations, you can only curtail human population, the best thing is to curtail human population."

See, this is Sadhguru in his own words. What's your take on that? It's ok to have 2 Ferrari and one Tesla (no chance to curtail such aspirations?), but it's not ok to have children? Btw, Sadhguru procreated, I didn't... You know, Sadhguru might be your guru or whatever, but he's not my guru...  :)

- Shunryu Suzuki

ivica

• ASIF Middle Class
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: Today at 04:32:17 PM »
Nemesis, Café is not the place for such discussions - please consider opening your own thread.
However, your style reminds me somehow on tedious "Russia, ..." thread so I'm afraid I'll not have much time to participate. Good luck .

Nemesis

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: Today at 04:43:25 PM »
@ivica

" Nemesis, Café is not the place for such discussions - please consider opening your own thread."

Well, I thought I'll comment on Sadhguru right were you refered to him. But he's not worth to open some thread, imo.

" However, your style reminds me somehow on tedious "Russia, ..." thread so I'm afraid I'll not have much time to participate. Good luck ."

Oh, Russia? I can asure you: I despise Putin just like I despise Trump and alike :) You are afraid you'll haven't much time to participate in our eyeopening discussion about Sadhguru? Well, your replies suited my needs already quite sufficiently, so thank you very much :)

- Shunryu Suzuki