Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Café  (Read 440388 times)

Tor Bejnar

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: Arctic Café
« Reply #1350 on: March 25, 2019, 08:25:07 PM »
In November 2018, the Tallahassee Friends Meeting (Quakers) adopted a "Faith Statement on Climate Change and Our Relationship to the Earth".  It starts
It is our experience and testimony that the Light, Life, and Love and Wisdom of God calls us to preserve and protect the holy creation of which we are a part. It is contrary to the Spirit of God to waste or exploit nature due to human greed or vanity. We are called to be good stewards of the Earth, to live simply and sustainably, and with care and reverence for all creation, preserving the Earth’s abundance for the glory of God so that future generations have the opportunity to share in this testimony and experience.
ends with
It is our testimony to the world that research and planning can evolve industrial practices and transportation and distribution systems that will lead to more equitable use of resources in an environment of relative climatic stability. We pray a reverential awe for life will inform policies and practices.
and includes a 1693 quote from William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania (a Quaker)
It would go a long way to caution and direct people in their use of the world, that they were better studied and knowing in the Creation of it.  For how could [they] find the confidence to abuse it, while they should see the great Creator stare them in the face, in all and every part of it?
The entire statement is attached.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

vox_mundi

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #1351 on: March 31, 2019, 07:10:45 AM »
Optical illusion helps Louvre's famous pyramid turn 30
https://m.dw.com/en/optical-illusion-helps-louvres-famous-pyramid-turn-30/g-48130758

The world's largest art museum may be more than 200 years old, but its iconic entrance — a glass pyramid — didn't arrive until 1989. To mark the structure's 30th anniversary, street artist JR was commissioned to design an optical illusion made of paper strips. The temporary collage, when viewed from above, gives the famed 21-meter-high (nearly 70-foot-high) pyramid dizzying added depth.
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #1352 on: March 31, 2019, 07:21:42 AM »
Todays XKCD  ;D

There's the conspiracy theory that building anything to Darien Gap will cause the sinking of the Caribbean plate in a megatsunami creating earthquake that'll drown the southern states of Trumpistan. I guess Cueball's peers are believing in this
Amateur observations of Sea Ice since 2003.

b_lumenkraft

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 652
« Reply #1353 on: March 31, 2019, 07:27:23 AM »
There's the conspiracy theory that building anything to Darien Gap will cause the sinking of the Caribbean plate in a megatsunami creating earthquake that'll drown the southern states of Trumpistan. I guess Cueball's peers are believing in this

LOL, this might be the dumbest conspiracy theory ever.

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: March 31, 2019, 07:52:50 AM »

LOL, this might be the dumbest conspiracy theory ever.
Maybe it's not true or I made that up on the fly.

vox_mundi

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: April 11, 2019, 01:31:44 AM »
Coffee Beans Not Vital for Human Survival, Switzerland Decides 
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/10/switzerland-plans-to-end-emergency-stockpiling-of-coffee

Switzerland has announced plans to abolish the emergency stockpiling of coffee, a strategy that has been in place for decades, saying the beans are not vital for human survival – though opposition to the proposal is brewing.

This system of emergency reserves was established between the first and second world wars as Switzerland prepared for potential shortages in case of war, natural disaster or epidemics.

According to the plan released for public comment, coffee stockpiling obligations will expire by the end of 2022, with companies free to draw down what they have in their warehouses.

... “The Federal Office for National Economic Supply has concluded coffee ... is not essential for life,” the government said. “Coffee has almost no calories and subsequently does not contribute, from the physiological perspective, to safeguarding nutrition.”

I beg to differ.  ;)
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― Leonardo da Vinci

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 210
« Reply #1356 on: April 11, 2019, 10:34:33 AM »
Coffee is a drug. I'm sure Switzerland isn't stockpiling heroin either. Maybe painkillers.  ;)
Il faut comparer, comparer, comparer, et cultiver notre jardin

vox_mundi

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 11, 2019, 11:08:21 AM »
Actually Switzerland is stockpiling morphine and several other opiates. (heroin is a painkiller and an opiate)

https://www.bwl.admin.ch/dam/bwl/en/dokumente/Themen/Pflichtlager/bericht_zur_vorratshaltung.pdf.download.pdf/Stockpiling_E.pdf

pg. 36 ... Opiates
pg. 18 ... Coffee

...  "It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."   :)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 11:24:43 AM by vox_mundi »

ColinOH

• NewMembers
  • ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1358 on: April 11, 2019, 05:07:33 PM »

...  "It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion."   :)

VERY nice, sir!!! Would, perchance, your "real" first name be Thufir?  8)

vox_mundi

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 12, 2019, 02:45:53 PM »
Guilty as charged.  8)

My Great House can't afford real Sapho anymore so it's a dose or three of Java juice several times a day to keep the cogs in this old Mentat's head spinning.

p.s I think the mantra is by that same clever fellow - Anonymous - who writes the fortune cookie fortunes  ;)

johnm33

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #1360 on: April 14, 2019, 11:59:59 PM »
Solace for those who have visited the political threads.

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: April 15, 2019, 12:29:31 PM »
The number of climate change deniers in Finland is then, by the election result, c. 25%-32% of the voting public. This makes it difficult to make up a government that would take science seriously. Won't start to analyse furthet here.

Sleepy

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1362 on: April 15, 2019, 02:59:13 PM »
In Sweden most people don't deny climate change anymore, compared to a decade ago. The groups seems to have moved a notch: Deniers -> Skeptics -> Incrementalists. The Realists are still few.

The good things; I've mainly encountered the top three myths lately and that (reported) CO2 emissions went down by one percent between 2017 and 2018 (preliminary numbers not including useless numbers from emissions abroad).

The bad things; Deleted to keep this short and positive.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

Pmt111500

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: April 15, 2019, 03:36:36 PM »
In Sweden most people don't deny climate change anymore, compared to a decade ago. The groups seems to have moved a notch: Deniers -> Skeptics -> Incrementalists. The Realists are still few.
Well, my definition of a denier might be stricter than most. The number might be as small as 10% as there have been a couple of comments on it even from the parties (or parts of some parties) normally saying it'll be good for Finland. The original estimate is the number who definitely don't want to speak of it, and not do anything, for the other countries should do their lot first (india often cited)

The traditional publishing of discarded votes appeared today.

Votes not counted included the traditional ones for Donald Duck, Moomin papa and mama, Phantom, Jesus, Santa Claus and Cthulhu.  This time around some recent real persons were also tried to be voted for :Juice Leskinen, Vladimir Putin, Urho Kekkonen, and Adolf Hitler, only one of them alive but a resident of another country.
Personally I liked the one voting for a Bicycle and specially the one voting for Shaun the Sheep.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2019, 06:35:01 PM by Pmt111500 »