Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Café  (Read 726693 times)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Arctic Café
« Reply #1450 on: December 14, 2019, 11:08:05 AM »
Yoga path is path of experiments

To create an outside situation, you need the cooperation of other people and forces. To create an inner situation, you only need yourself. #SadhguruQuotes"

< Seal >

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 15, 2019, 11:16:37 AM »
The Common Man

"One With Earth" song - Ricky Kej - Tribute to Farmers of India

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: December 16, 2019, 10:53:26 AM »
Of Love and Life

How many smiles you had today? How about a few more?
"Karan Johar, one of the leading director–producers in Hindi cinema, in conversation with Sadhguru on the topic "Of Love and Life"." NSCI SVP Stadium Mumbai, audience 7000+. The questions are listed in the video description.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: December 17, 2019, 11:21:37 AM »
One Song    

:) Happy :) Holidays :)   

blumenkraft

« Reply #1454 on: December 17, 2019, 11:29:05 AM »
You too! :)

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #1455 on: January 08, 2020, 07:14:41 PM »
Will AGW view of Australian government change, after these horrible bush fires?
There’s a political storm brewing in Australia, as well. In its epicenter is conservative Prime Minister Scott Morrison, who has been criticized not just for his initial lax handling of the crisis — he was on holiday in Hawaii as his nation burned — but, more importantly, for his broader resistance to political measures aimed at mitigating climate change. Morrison remains infamous for a stunt he pulled in 2017, when, as Australia’s treasurer, he showed up to a session of Parliament brandishing a lump of coal and a message to his colleagues not to be “scared” by fossil fuels.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/01/08/apocalyptic-wildfires-may-force-climate-reckoning-australias-conservative-leader/
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #1456 on: January 08, 2020, 07:29:31 PM »
Continuing with this subject:
Australia ranked worst of 57 countries on climate change policy

Australia is the worst-performing country on climate change policy, according to a new international ranking of 57 countries. The report also criticises the Morrison government for being a “regressive force” internationally.

The 2020 Climate Change Performance Index, prepared by a group of thinktanks comprising the NewClimate Institute, the Climate Action Network and Germanwatch, looks at national climate action across the categories of emissions, renewable energy, energy use and policy.

Across all four categories, Australia was ranked as the sixth-worst performing of the 57 countries assessed.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/11/australia-ranked-worst-of-57-countries-on-climate-change-policy#maincontent
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #1457 on: January 12, 2020, 05:38:51 PM »
An interesting discussion, solutions from the Guardian comments section I like to share:

"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: January 12, 2020, 05:41:14 PM »
Perhaps this would make a nice jigsaw puzzle for Tor
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: January 13, 2020, 05:24:34 PM »
For fellow members who maybe think that I am a yellow keyboard warrior  8):

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2053
  • Likes Given: 1989
« Reply #1460 on: January 13, 2020, 10:05:47 PM »
Ah the modern dutch savage.  ;)

I remember watching a really old soccer clip and after the home side scored all the men threw their hats in the air.

Missing polsstok though...
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1461 on: January 13, 2020, 11:16:33 PM »
I saw polsstoks used to jump a moat in an aged silent flick and was immediately reminded of nanning.
I'd never come across the word, or the concept, until nanning spelled it out. :)
Terry

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: January 14, 2020, 03:14:43 PM »
If you ever have watched pole vaulting in the olympics you have seen the concept.
I loved the robo jausting idea proposed in the AI thread. Possibly a sport which i would watch.  :)
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 14, 2020, 06:13:50 PM »
^^
I applied for membership of track-and-field club "Phanos" in Amsterdam to start with pole vaulting, expecting to very good at it. Alas when they found out I was 50 years old they said I had to learn the basics first and then blocked me from entering the basics course. I have been (very) cross about that age discrimination for more than half a year. They wouldn't even let me show them what I can do. Bastards!

I likely would've been in the national team by now (I am very athletic and very good at pols leaping) and would have found a route out of unemployment.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: January 15, 2020, 04:19:12 PM »
You would fail the doping tests with the current diet though...

I loved the idea of jumping over 6 meters. Basically jump straight onto the roof of our house.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 15, 2020, 05:46:30 PM »
LOL  yes I would be excluded with my current 'diet'.

I can jump over a 6m wide ditch, but that's horizontal. I assume your house isn't built that way.

The technique to use is called the "boerenplons": you take a run and jump with your pols over the side of the ditch before ramming it into the middle of the ditch and swing & climb the rest. Many times you have to jump the last bit and leave your pols behind, stuck in the ditch, out of reach.
When the ditch water was still frozen, we would break the ice with the pols and then jump, but what happened often, is that the pols got stuck behind a piece of ice (NL: schots) in the middle of the ditch. Wet AND cold.
At some birthday parties we would all take to the fields with our polsen and find a suitable (small) ditch. Then 1 pols would be removed and that person had to tag someone and get his/her pols. It is possible to jump a small ditch without a pols, which can go wrong amusingly.
O what wonderful (wet) times we had. No wonder I have no allergies.

Cheers ("Tsjoch" in Frisian).

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 16, 2020, 07:43:08 PM »
Perhaps you'll find this interesting. A map of Europe in 814. Spot the Netherlands and/or Holland.
(click for a bigger picture)

blumenkraft

« Reply #1467 on: January 17, 2020, 06:59:00 AM »
Not even the Scottish? WTF history??

;D

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: January 17, 2020, 08:12:52 AM »
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland#Early_history

"In the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, with much of Scotland under the control of a single ruler and united by the Gaelic language, a modern nation-state first emerged, as did Scottish national consciousness."

And if you're interested:

"Beginning in the sixth century, the area that is now Scotland was divided into three areas: Pictland, a patchwork of small lordships in central Scotland;[36]:25–26 the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Northumbria, which had conquered southeastern Scotland;[36]:18–20 and Dál Riata, founded by settlers from Ireland, bringing Gaelic language and culture with them.[36]:20 These societies were based on the family unit and had sharp divisions in wealth, although the vast majority were poor and worked full-time in subsistence agriculture. The Picts kept slaves (mostly captured in war) through the ninth century.[36]:26–27"

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 20, 2020, 10:00:01 AM »
“A Blessing For Anyone”

Amazing New Song By Michael Brunnock Based On A Poem By Caitlin Johnstone

We need to seize the means of creating culture, take it out of the hands of the social engineers who have us all stanning for billionaires at the expense of the planet, and start making beautiful, inspiring, healthy memes to feed our hearts and souls with. This is one such effort to do so.
More at caitlinjohnstone.com

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: January 20, 2020, 06:29:22 PM »
A gerenal question:
I have some organic corn (the hard seeds) that I've bought for birds but they don't eat it.

So now I like to make popcorn, preferably nice sweet ones. But not too elaborate.
I have bought my first ever bottle of maple syrup (I have never even tasted it) but am completely unexperienced in making sweet popcorn with it. Oven/microwave/frying pan? Oil/butter? Timing? Of course I can find recipe's on youtube etc. but prefer to hear advise from my forumfriends in our café.
Since most people on this forum are from the U.S.A. or Canada, I thought to ask you for some ideas and instructions.

Cheers.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: January 21, 2020, 08:02:45 AM »
Hey Tom did you know this:

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/hisc/info/invasive-species-profiles/mongoose/

Mongoose are opportunistic feeders that will eat birds, small mammals, reptiles, insects, fruits, and plants. They prey on the eggs and hatchlings of native ground nesting birds and endangered sea turtles. The small Indian mongoose has been blamed with the extinction of ground-nesting birds in Jamaica and Fiji and commonly kill birds, including 8 federally listed endangered Hawaiian birds, such as the Hawaiian crow (‘alalā), petrels (ʻuʻau) and Hawaiian goose (nēnē). It was estimated in 1999 that mongoose cause $50 million in damages to Hawai`i and Puerto Rico annually.

Bad mongoose! ;)

Freegrass

• Young ice
  • Autodidacticism is a complicated word
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 959
  • Likes Given: 1261
« Reply #1472 on: January 21, 2020, 09:40:32 AM »
Perhaps you'll find this interesting. A map of Europe in 814. Spot the Netherlands and/or Holland.
This is what happened in Europe from the year 1000 until now. I love this video.
90% of the world is religious, but somehow "love thy neighbour" became "fuck thy neighbours", if they don't agree with your point of view.

WTF happened?

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: January 26, 2020, 11:52:09 AM »
Just For This Moment
We could sit here all day
talking about how the news man is always lying
or how both parties are functionally the same
or how the Bastards toil endlessly to hide the truth from us
or how we know better than all those foolish brainwashed sheep
who are just trying to survive another day on this earth.

We could sit here all day doing that.

Or,
maybe,
just for this one moment,
we could look inward
and be honest with ourselves.

https://caitlinjohnstone.com/2020/01/26/just-for-this-moment/

< time for a "vacation" >

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: January 27, 2020, 04:40:44 PM »
^^
Ramen!!
Terry

Florifulgurator

• Grease ice
  • Virtual world alter ego / अवतार of Martin Gisser
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 369
« Reply #1475 on: January 31, 2020, 10:13:24 PM »
First time visiting (pl.) this thread. :-) 
Can anybody check the Sanskrit grammar in the (as of yet) updated Personal Text of our Profile Info?

--------------------------------------
P.S.: Actually I'm considering either spending a week (or two) later this year (beware the exponential (plus/times Poissonian) statistics of Time...) on learning yet another programming language (UPN oder andersrum...), or spending a decade (not two) on learning Pali (and perhaps learn a bit about काली ...).
P.P.S.: Itsy Bitsy considerations  8) ...

P.P.P.S.: Mind the waste of neurons!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 11:21:16 PM by Florifulgurator »
"The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or committed communist, but rather people for whom the difference between facts and fiction, true and false, no longer exists." ~ Hannah Arendt
"The Force can have a strong influence on the weak minded." ~ Obi-Wan Kenobi

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1476 on: February 01, 2020, 07:11:38 PM »
Well,I don't know if this is the place for it, but:
At the Top of the World, a Very Unusual Crime
https://www.newser.com/story/285558/at-the-top-of-the-world-a-very-unusual-crime.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=uol&utm_campaign=rss_top
That's how he ended up inside the town's only bank, rifle in hand, four days later. "This is not a joke," he told the teller. "This is a robbery. I need hundred thousand." He was ultimately given about $8,000, but only after the bank manager tried to explain just how dumb a move it was: "A single phone call could close the entire town, so there was no chance of getting away," writes Kushner. But that was the point.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: February 06, 2020, 05:26:00 PM »
I have just listened for half an hour, in full enjoyment, to the beautiful singing of a blackbird. It's still singing but I felt the need to share this positive thing.

blumenkraft

« Reply #1478 on: February 08, 2020, 11:55:18 AM »
A Beluga Whale Returns a Woman’s iPhone After She Drops it Into the Water, Hammerfest Harbour, Norway

Link >> https://www.reddit.com/r/youseeingthisshit/comments/f0o18f/a_beluga_whale_returns_a_womans_iphone_after_she/

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: February 08, 2020, 02:47:25 PM »
This week I have started nitting. Each wednesday morning a group of elderly ladies, mostly close neighbours, get together for a couple of hours to drink coffee, chat, laugh and knit. I am the only man but I much enjoy their company and have a lot to learn, eyeing their complex handywork. This is higher mathematics which should suit me, having taught mathematics for years at university, but I don't know a lot about topology. Luckily there's a lot of symmetry.
What's also new to me, is that it is the only time of the week that I spend hours in a 21°C room. I can leave all extra clothes at home since it's only a 20 seconds walk from my house.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: February 11, 2020, 01:28:59 PM »
For those who like surveys:

A survey is conducted by researchers of Cambridge University and Wageningen University. They have asked us to post information about it. Please share your views on climate change and reading blogs by filling out this survey. The data will be used to get a better understanding of climate change blog audiences’ views on climate change and their blog reading behavior.

http://www.realclimate.org/index.php/archives/2019/10/do-you-want-to-share-your-views-on-climate-change-and-reading-blogs/

I just got a mail with a PDF with first results. Open access link to paper will follow when it is done.

Dear participant,

A few months ago you have participated in a survey about climate change and reading blogs. You left us your email address to get a “sneak peek” of the results. Please see the attached PDF to find some of our preliminary results.

We are currently analysing the data to see what the climate change risk perceptions are of audiences of climate change blogs and what socio-psychological factors explain these perceptions. In addition, we investigate the blog consumption of these audiences. Once our results get published, we will provide you with a link to the article (open access). So stay tuned!

ETA

90% male audience

2. Age 
24 or younger 2.8%
25-34 6.5%
35-44 8.7%
45-54 17.6%
55-65 32.2%
66 or older 32.2%

So Blogs are for old peope.  ;)

Countries readers are from US 43% UK 13% rest a bit less in declining order Australia Canada The Netherlands.

85% has Bachelors or more education so we are a pretty skewed audience.

Politically 84% left, rest right....so whatever happended to the centre?

Will add the paper link when they mail that at a later date.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 01:37:14 PM by kassy »

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #1481 on: February 11, 2020, 02:32:36 PM »
Well, you could say exactly 50% of the population is right of center and 50% of the population is left of center, so nobody or just one person (depending on whether the population is odd or even) is in the center.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: February 11, 2020, 03:20:58 PM »
Not really.

If you take simple measures like age distribution there is a lot of middle.

Now of course with politics you cannot just measure left or right in people because these are very much current social constructs.

And as pointed out the US constructs are different the the Euro ones.

The whole problem is dividing the answer in two choices especially when they are framed as mutually exclusive.

Basically modern society is complex so lots of people tune out to the real important details.

There are many problems that need to be dealt with but almost none of those get discussed in the US president race or democrat pre elections and the press does not care either.

There is a whole lot of middle which is being obscured on purpose. 

This is the trick.

I real some SF book not that long ago and the had ´Polling cores´.

Basically all citizens voted on important measures.

I really wonder how the vote would go on:

It has been proposed that some government agency with a budget of 900 billion that cannot actually do audits for the last couple of years should get a 50 billion raise.

How do you vote? Y/N

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: February 11, 2020, 04:50:28 PM »
Can I get you guys (and girls?) something to drink?
What sort of alcoholic beverages do you like?

blumenkraft

« Reply #1484 on: February 11, 2020, 07:35:21 PM »
I don't drink alcohol, Nanning. But pass me that bong, please.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1485 on: March 15, 2020, 12:10:34 PM »
Death; An Inside Story: A book for all those who shall die

by Sadhguru

The book released by the Vice President of India, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu.

Look Inside sample.

< constipation: suicide in installments >

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: March 19, 2020, 08:59:36 AM »

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1487 on: March 19, 2020, 10:11:35 AM »
Great song ivica. Beautiful.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1488 on: March 20, 2020, 11:44:09 AM »
In the Now

< raising consciousness == lowering compulsive noise
   is it not amazing that we can be conscious and choose the right thing to do >

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: March 21, 2020, 05:05:06 AM »
Conscious Planet Initiative
"
Concept Note

The Soil, Water and Climate Change Conference is the launch event of the Conscious Planet initiative.
Date: To be announced. Location: Isha Yoga Center, Coimbatore.

Participants
    Representatives from UN agencies.
    Representatives from the Government of India and various State Governments.
    Scientists from international, national and state institutes of forestry, agriculture, horticulture, agroforestry and soil/water management.
    Model farmers who have successfully demonstrated ecologically sustainable and economically viable ways of tree-based agriculture.
    Civil society organizations and grassroots leaders.
"

Previously

Sadhguru at Davos 2020: Towards Creating a Conscious Planet

@JaneGoodallInst @dwaughray @SadhguruJV @TWCrowther @wef @hindououmar @simonmulcahy

Conscious Planet – Three Billion for One Planett | Sadhguru Spot
In this Spot video, Sadhguru introduces Conscious Planet, an initiative to create a world where a large number of human beings act consciously, and where communities and governments take more responsible environmental action. To really create an impact, Sadhguru says, “We want to get three billion people on board.”

< If you are looking for solace, you believe. If you are looking for a solution, you seek. #SadhguruQuotes >

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1490 on: March 26, 2020, 07:51:49 AM »
It is so wonderfully quiet outside. Just sounds from living nature, mainly birds.
The usual constant background noise of car tires is gone. A lot less heavy agricultural machinery noises. It would be great if the fighter jets would stay grounded as well.
Yesterday a dolphin was photographed swimming in the harbour of Harlingen (Harns). Wow.

This week has been wonderful weather, bright sunshine and a clear blue sky after months of grey moist overcast. It is still cold though with a stiff breeze.
Sitting in the woods, during July-December I would seldom hear any bird. Maybe every half hour on average a woodpigeon. Now every day they give such a beautiful chorus. Thank you dear birds.
With the sunshine came a lot of small midgets which is nice to see because insects have been even more absent than birds.

Please stop driving cars. Please stop using aeroplanes. Buy as much local products as possible. Don't go shopping but buy from a premade list. Try to repair in stead of throwing away. Don't buy take-away or delivered food. Don't use technology if not really necessary and then use the lowest tech that can do the job. Utilize your body. Buy a bike. Stop mowing the lawn. Lose your wants and desires. Be nice to all other people, including Mr. Trump. Don't have an ego and be vulnerable (but strong). Don't choose the easy path. Be a beautiful human.
Be outside. Reality is outside.

Let's remove all the noise and pollution from living nature by not generating it yourself and not participating in systems that generate it.
Your actions matter.
Let us please give something back to nature by (radically) changing our behaviour. As long as we still have a choice.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: March 26, 2020, 11:21:38 AM »
^^
Why are you down on delivered/take out food. It's the only chance many of the restaurants have of avoiding bankruptcy.
We've been ordering from 2 restaurants we used to patronise They're small family places that may fold anyway, but at the moment delivery is their only lifeline.

Otherwise I'm in complete agreement with your expressed sentiments.

Stay Healthy
Terry

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: March 26, 2020, 04:24:39 PM »
Sorry Terry, I was not referring to the current situation with that. Got a bit carried away I think.

And please make sure that Carole is as good protected as you when outside or in contact with others. I assume she is. Your (and her?) survival may be at stake I think and that is frightening.
You have all the excuses to hit that bong and enjoy yourselves (within healthy limits).

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: March 26, 2020, 04:28:30 PM »
I bet he means in general not for this specific situation. (i see i won  :) )

A lot of the take away/delivered food is pretty crappy (google highly palatable foods).
Also the black plastic containers often used can not be recycled (in our local system).
And of course there is a lot of driving involved.

At least here most scooters are electric now. The first delivery one i met nearly died because it was silent and the guy on it dove into my blind spot on the wrong side were no one should be traffic wise so i nearly reflex elbowed him of his e-scooter.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: April 01, 2020, 10:50:05 AM »
Some light reading for those with plenty of time:

Loners help society survive
Evolution selects for 'loners' that hang back from collective behavior -- at least in slime molds

It isn't easy being a loner -- someone who resists the pull of the crowd, who marches to their own drummer.

But loners exist across the natural world, and they might just serve a purpose, said Corina Tarnita, an associate professor of ecology and evolutionary biology. She ticked off examples of loners who sit out their species' collective actions: the small herd that skips the great wildebeest migration, the locusts that peel off from the swarm and revert to calm grasshopper behaviors, the handful of bamboo that flower a few days before or after the rest of the species, and the slime molds that hang back from forming the swaying towers studied by Princeton luminary John Bonner.

"Now that we're starting to look for it, we realize that a whole lot of systems are not perfectly synchronized -- and it's tantalizing to think that that there may be something to this imperfect synchronization," Tarnita said. "Individuals that are out-of-sync with the majority of a population exist in humans, too. We call them misfits or geniuses, contrarians or visionaries, very much depending on how the rest of the society feels about their behavior, but they certainly exist."

Consider the humble slime mold. As seen in the many videos Bonner made over his seven-decade career, when they are threatened by starvation, the tiny amoebae coalesce into slug-like creatures that then aggregate into a large, swaying tower that grows upward with a burgeoning slimy top -- until that top sticks to an unwitting passing insect, the starvation-resistant spores hitchhiking out into the world, while all the individuals making up the base and stalk die. In other words, the collective phase is necessary for survival and dispersal.

"Whenever a system has a collective behavior, it's so eye-catching, and so awesome -- and as humans, we tend to look at what's eye-catching," said Fernando Rossine, a graduate student in Tarnita's lab and one of two co-first authors on the paper.

But what caught Tarnita's eye were the slime mold loners, the amoebae that resist the biochemical call to form the tower. She first noticed them the week before she started her faculty job at Princeton in 2013.

"I was at a conference, and a speaker was showing videos of slime molds doing this very complex collective behavior, all determined to reach the center of aggregation," Tarnita said. "All but some, I noticed: Here and there, some scattered cells on the plate just didn't seem to react at all to this aggregation process."

She inquired about these lonely cells, and the speaker dismissed them as "mistakes." "In other words, how could we even expect millions of cells to aggregate without a few chance stragglers being left behind?" explained Tarnita.

First, he was surprised to find that loners are more numerous than anyone had imagined. When he began trying to replicate the slime mold experiments of other researchers, Rossine discovered that those scientists had carefully optimized conditions to encourage the maximum number of slime molds to join the tower, but even then, a few loners held back. "Even in these very, very idealized conditions, you couldn't exclude loners, because you just can't -- they're part of the process," he said. When Rossine did experiments with slime molds collected from the wild, he was startled to see that up to 30% chose the loner life over collective action.

Then came the second surprise: Tarnita's initial proposal for the nature of these loners turned out to be only half right. When Rossine accurately counted the loners, he confirmed Tarnita's hypothesis that they are decidedly not random mistakes, but a heritable trait. However, they were not a constant fraction of the initial population of starving cells, as she had theorized. Instead, their number depended on the density of the population. In other words, loners were not flipping a coin and deciding, by themselves, to stay back, as Tarnita had first assumed.

In the smallest populations, they found, all the cells remain loners. Above a certain threshold, there is indeed a steady fraction of amoebae that avoid tower-building -- but with a large enough starting population, the number of loners plateaued.

"It's a social bet-hedging," said Rossine. "And a fascinating conclusion that follows from our findings is that, at least for slime molds, the decision not to become part of the collective is, in fact, taken collectively. All the cells kind of talk to each other chemically: 'Oh, you're going? I guess I'm staying.' There's communication involved in becoming a loner."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/03/200318143635.htm

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1495 on: April 07, 2020, 10:30:44 AM »
Towards Creating a Conscious Planet

"Our enemies can stop us as individuals, they can shut us down as an organization, but they cannot stop a movement."

< social systemic problem >needs> systemic solution >

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1496 on: April 09, 2020, 07:03:52 AM »
The cows have been inside under tubelight and on concrete for the whole winter. A winter that didn't even have any snow or ice. "Why are cows inside?" I ask myself often.

Finally the cows can go outside! Enjoy.
(5m17)
https://www.omropfryslan.nl/nijs/951566-fideo-de-koweduns-yn-burgum

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: April 09, 2020, 04:58:22 PM »
^^
Wonderful!!

Happiness is a muddy field.
Terry

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: April 12, 2020, 10:21:24 AM »
From a time when personal computers were still interesting and people were still programming low-level.
Oh how many great times I've had with my VIC20, CBM64, sinclair QL, Acorn A305 and Acorn A5000. In school we used CP/M.
Until recently I still had the last two Acorns but my mother threw them away without asking me and without saying sorry.
When I bought my first computer in 1982, the VIC20, I really wanted the Apple II but it was too expensive for me.

Do you have any stories in this context? That would be nice.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/gallery/2020/apr/11/the-early-days-of-home-computing-in-pictures
  by Kadish Morris, writer of the book "Home Computers"

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: April 12, 2020, 11:49:24 AM »
Damn shame.

I grew up with slightly more modern computers BBC B, Commodore 64 and ZX Spectrum.

Never really got into programming but i liked the games.
There was no internet then so for free games you could type in listings of more then 150 lines with all the data lines at the end. We did have a program that taught how to type blind so that helped. Others did the debugging.

And life was slower. Loading from tape took minutes. I remember listening to the sounds as they loaded. Information music!