Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Café  (Read 722646 times)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
"Pre" El Nino...
« Reply #100 on: June 24, 2013, 05:15:42 PM »
When scientists make their "call" for an El Nino event......the oceans have already warmed in the central equatorial Pacific for MANY MONTHS a considerable amount.

In some ways....that isn't the most "enlightening" of information.  Somewhat like calling "the bottom" of the stock market 5 months AFTER it was already rising.

I believe we are LIKELY near a turning point in the sea surface temperatures of the central EQUATORIAL Pacific (if you were to draw a vertical line that starts at the center of the coast of Alaska and head south...........and intersects a horizontal line that you draw from the center of  coast of Ecuador towards the WEST.......where those two lines intersect is the area I am talking about).

The ocean waters have been "neutral to cool" in that area for the last several months......and indeed, the area just west of Ecuador has had a very cool anomaly over the past couple of months.   All the while.....many other parts of the Pacific have been very warm.

Over the last two weeks.....the "cool anomaly" off the coast of Ecuador has been moderating.....and a few small areas of the central Pacific (due south of Alaska and due west of Ecuador) have been warming (still SMALL areas right now......but everything starts small at the beginning).

I know that NOAA is calling for a likely "neutral" position on El Nino through the end of this year, and they have certain "requirements" (ie monthly average for 5 straight months must exceed a certain amount over the average...etc).  But what I am trying to say....is that we are likely NOW at the turning point, where over the next SEVERAL MONTHS....the central Pacific will be heating up......and perhaps towards the fall of this year....that NOAA will be looking towards forecasting an El Nino that will start by the 2nd quarter of 2014 (April or May of 2014).

So when I say "Pre El Nino".....I am talking about the "process" of the beginning of warming waters that MAY likely lead towards an "El Nino event" 8 months or so in the future.

The SECOND MAP from the top of the following link shows the area I am referring to:

http://climatechangegraphs.blogspot.com/2013/02/sea-surface-temperature-anomaly-weekly.html

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

BornFromTheVoid

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 679
  • Likes Given: 299
Re: Arctic Café
« Reply #101 on: June 24, 2013, 05:31:54 PM »
The latest weekly El Nino forecast was released earlier today by the cpc. The strengthening of the sub surface positive temperature anomalies over the last few weeks is interesting.
Still though, little support for anything other than neutral in the next few months.
http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf
I recently joined the twitter thing, where I post more analysis, pics and animations: @Icy_Samuel

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #102 on: June 24, 2013, 06:30:03 PM »
<<Still though, little support for anything other than neutral in the next few months.>>

I ABSOLUTELY AGREE.  It is a "process"......and it would take several months of warming temps for NOAA to even change their outlook for early NEXT YEAR.  But big issues always start out as small issues......

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #103 on: June 24, 2013, 10:12:10 PM »
Un other way of doing music ?

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2013, 09:05:30 AM »
President Obama speech at 1:55 ET 25 June 2013

Fly Me To The Moon

It's my life
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:36:59 AM by ivica »

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
  • Civilisation collapse - what are you doing?
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2013, 10:36:39 PM »
The long and complicated supply chain for Wimbledon tennis balls?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/damian-carrington-blog/2013/jun/26/wimbledon-tennis-balls-miles-centre-court

There are serious points here, about both the nature of the modern world and the scope for major disruption - but tennis balls struck me as a rather light hearted and even mildly amusing window onto the matter. What would we do without tennis balls, after all?

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2013, 09:40:17 AM »
Arctic Fox smileys on me, attached

EDIT: 2015-05-01: If they (the mindset that rules over us) are any good, why are we in trouble?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 12:02:04 AM by ivica »

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2013, 02:18:20 PM »
The earth is blue...Are you sure...some satellites see it green !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gUnXpBMfyI&feature=player_embedded#at=15

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 30, 2013, 10:36:05 PM »
Ever wondered about similarity of space dynamics

http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/

with local one, SW Davis Strait attached:

EDIT, not off-topic: Please notice how really good people makes value: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvAnfi8WpVE&list=RD02lc8BcBZ0tAI

EDIT #2: A while later (assuming you watched the video(s)), quite simple isn't it, as supposed, not brain washing :-)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 11:58:34 PM by ivica »

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 01, 2013, 12:51:29 AM »
Here i am, taking a lighter note

Shared Humanity

« Reply #110 on: July 06, 2013, 10:35:50 PM »
Sometimes, we need to look on the bright side.

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
  • The traps have got him, and that's all about it!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2013, 10:27:08 AM »
Even though this comedy routine was recorded in 1992, it is now showing up again on denier sites like climatedepot .com

the Year in Climate Denial

This just proves that George Carlin was a out-of-touch old-white-male. I would like my 8 minutes back. Even better, bring back the 1992 climate George, you hack.  :P
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:47:26 AM by Artful Dodger »
Cheers!
Lodger

wanderer

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2013, 12:36:24 PM »
Have you listened to the rising temperatures?

Shared Humanity

« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2013, 12:41:50 PM »
Even though this comedy routine was recorded in 1992, it is now showing up again on denier sites like climatedepot .com

the Year in Climate Denial

This just proves that George Carlin was a out-of-touch old-white-male. I would like my 8 minutes back. Even better, bring back the 1992 climate George, you hack.  :P

I actually do not see this comedy routine as in support of Global Warming deniers. While Carlin did not mention AGW, his conclusion is that our impact on the environment will not, in the long term, kill the planet. We simply will kill ourselves.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2013, 01:05:01 PM »
I actually do not see this comedy routine as in support of Global Warming deniers. While Carlin did not mention AGW, his conclusion is that our impact on the environment will not, in the long term, kill the planet. We simply will kill ourselves.

That's exactly right. Here's George Carlin on Marc Morano, his band of merry liars and their/our masters:

The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2013, 08:49:38 PM »
: Do you have a feeling that Google & Youtube work in sync? in order to achieve ...

icebgone

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2013, 11:27:08 PM »
Ivica, Yes, they work cooperatively and competitively.  Interlocking Boards of Directors are the bane of Capitalism.  By having shared knowledge there is restricted competition and steady profit growth, both necessary for a successful business model.  So everyone in business is dependent on other businesses to survive and be successful.  Shared data mining, favorable political support (net positive tax cash flow), and Interlocking Boards of Directors are going to be with us for some time yet.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2013, 11:38:10 PM »
It seems that on July 11, Google Washington plans to host a fund-raiser for US Senator Jim Inhofe.

Hey Google! Don't Fund Evil!

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2013, 11:46:25 PM »
Ivica, Yes, they work cooperatively and competitively.  Interlocking Boards of Directors are the bane of Capitalism.  By having shared knowledge there is restricted competition and steady profit growth, both necessary for a successful business model.  So everyone in business is dependent on other businesses to survive and be successful.  Shared data mining, favorable political support (net positive tax cash flow), and Interlocking Boards of Directors are going to be with us for some time yet.
What we have to fear is not so much governments as multinationals beyond the reach of any government. Some of them have incomes in excess of many small countries.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2013, 06:59:33 AM »
Existence depending on a mercy of weather is

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2013, 12:27:37 PM »

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 10, 2013, 07:26:27 PM »
:

Mediterranean: a judi driti ka kolone.
Neven, please, translate it.

EDIT: "a judi driti ka kolone" instead of "a judi driti ka colon".
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:53:48 PM by ivica »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #122 on: July 10, 2013, 09:01:30 PM »
And people straight like columns?  ;D

They are tall there, that's for sure.

The place where that video was shot, looks a lot like the part of Dalmatia where my father comes from, but I don't think that's it. Do you know where it was shot?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 10, 2013, 09:13:54 PM »
I think that filming location is above Omiš, so, not far from your father's place.
BTW: for you (similar location I guess).
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 09:43:32 PM by ivica »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #124 on: July 10, 2013, 09:52:13 PM »
Amazing, because that's where I thought it was.  :)

My father told me a story this summer about how, when he was small, 6 years old or so, he was told to accompany the neighbour who wanted to sell her horse on the market in Omiš. My father was pretty headstrong and refused, because it's quite a long walk. But then they told him that he would see the sea, and he agreed to go.

And so they went, the neighbour, my father and the horse. But a couple of miles before reaching the spot where that video was shot (and where the sea appears in view for the first time) the horse fell and broke its leg.

The neighbour told my father to stay and watch the horse, while she would go to the town and see if she could organize a lorry or something. And so my father sat there for half a day, with the horse neighing in pain, until the lorry finally came to take the horse away.

They then returned to the village. He didn't see the sea that day.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 10, 2013, 10:47:02 PM »
That is amazing story.

One can see Italy from up there assuming proper weather conditions,
like on this photo (source) taken not far away, ~ 600 m above sea level,
line of sought passes (roughly) between Rome and Corsica:

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 12, 2013, 04:31:46 PM »
The birth of a panda in China.
http://videos.lexpress.fr/actualite/societe/video-un-bebe-panda-nait-sous-l-oeil-des-cameras_1264797.html

The birth of an Okapi in France the 27th of Juin.

Juan C. García

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1279
  • Likes Given: 1127
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2013, 09:31:42 PM »
Some comments made by deniers:

Rolling Stone: The 10 Dumbest Things Ever Said About Global Warming  :D

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-10-dumbest-things-ever-said-about-global-warming-20130619
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2013, 09:44:11 PM »
U.S. Military Prepares for Global Unrest Amid Climate Fears (Op-Ed)

Article by Marlene Cimons of Climate Nexus at LiveScience, July 12, 2013.
...The Pentagon has been concerned about the national security implications of climate change for quite some time, and military officials have continued to speak out about them...

JimD

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #129 on: July 18, 2013, 07:02:19 AM »
ivica

As a former member of the US Intelligence Community I can state that, at least at the analytic and planning levels, they are not in the denier camp. 

But one must keep in mind what their mission is and that will tell you a story.  Their sworn duty (in complete seriousness) is to protect and defend the United States (and a big percentage of them take it very seriously).  If by helping someone else we can make our own situation better so be it.  But, if, in doing our duty to take care of job #1, it lessens the prospects for some other entity, well, that is life as they say. 

American's as a people do not recognize a tribe bigger than the US that we have responsibility to take care of.  And we often struggle with anything bigger than a State or our local region.  I would not expect our track record of working with the global  "we" to be improved over the next couple of decades. 
We do not err because truth is difficult to see. It is visible at a glance. We err because this is more comfortable. Alexander Solzhenitsyn

How is it conceivable that all our technological progress - our very civilization - is like the axe in the hand of the pathological criminal? Albert Einstein

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 18, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »
Yes, JimD, classical human behavior/response is to expect, other sort of BAU.

"The singing arc" at g+ reminded me on Nikola Tesla:

Musical Tesla Coils Play Intro, 2001: A Space Odyssey...
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 11:25:35 AM by ivica »

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
  • Civilisation collapse - what are you doing?
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
« Reply #131 on: July 18, 2013, 04:43:35 PM »
But one must keep in mind what their mission is and that will tell you a story.  Their sworn duty (in complete seriousness) is to protect and defend the United States (and a big percentage of them take it very seriously).  If by helping someone else we can make our own situation better so be it.  But, if, in doing our duty to take care of job #1, it lessens the prospects for some other entity, well, that is life as they say. 

The mitigating factor is that other major powers take exactly the same outlook. That gives a distinct possibility of another world war. Maybe I should revise my views of the odds of a significant number of atomic bombs being exchanged upwards?

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 18, 2013, 10:34:13 PM »
A comment on another part of the forum put me in mind of work that's been done recording under the ice in Antarctica.
This blog post by composer and sound artist Andreas Bick has links to the Alfred-Wegner-Institut Ocean Acoustics lab (but this may be a more useful link to their work) as well as lots of other less serious but nevertheless interesting ice recordings elsewhere.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 18, 2013, 11:42:04 PM »
Ah, disabled link
from the post #46 (see the post #49) is   :)
Interesting, and less than a hour later that is disabled again  :o
However, I'll delete my last 3 posts after a 5 min. Countdown... My irrelevant posts removed.

BTW:
DiCaprio, Cameron, Branson: Protect Antarctic Ocean.
Russia blocks Antarctic sanctuary bid.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 12:15:04 AM by ivica »

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2013, 10:25:54 PM »
How many politicians does it take to change a lightbulb?

Umm, No, much funnier stuff you will find here.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »
ClimateState put the link to GASLAND 2 film on July 22, 2013. Alas, non-avail already.
Quick fix:

The rest: .

Homepage: http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/

Enjoy, while it lasts ;D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 01:25:20 PM by ivica »

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2013, 08:26:08 PM »

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
  • The traps have got him, and that's all about it!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2013, 11:42:49 PM »
This is one use for a Navy sub when there's no sea ice:

« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 11:48:14 PM by Artful Dodger »
Cheers!
Lodger

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2013, 11:46:50 PM »

Homepage: http://www.gaslandthemovie.com/

Enjoy, while it lasts ;D

Ivica,

Thanks for that.  I watched.  After Gasland I, I thought all that was needed was tighter regulations.  Gasland II was much more depressing, it's an idictment of our governmental processes at all levels.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2013, 08:01:29 AM »
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 12:55:47 PM by ivica »

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile

Anne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 28, 2013, 04:57:37 AM »
Striking photographs from Greenland by Joe Raedle in The Vancouver Sun, documenting melting glaciers and their social effects

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 29, 2013, 12:46:02 PM »
To exit, or not to exit, that is the question:

"Don't FRACK Our Future" video mentioned in Café recently is animated by Dermot O Connor.
Waiting for the next one, CONTINUUM, which "deals with infinity, perception, and the nature of reality".

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 30, 2013, 01:55:14 AM »

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 02, 2013, 05:06:19 PM »

My daughter is in Cambodia studying gibbons. Can you spot the baby? Hint: she does not have three knees.

V

Laurent

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 03, 2013, 08:58:33 PM »

Humans smartness is evolving but bears tend to follow us !

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 05, 2013, 01:07:49 AM »
A long forgotten song, .

forkyfork

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #147 on: August 05, 2013, 01:37:12 AM »

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2013, 10:30:54 PM »
Central Asia, speechless...

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 09, 2013, 11:09:50 PM »
"In the Year 2525" is a hit song in 1969, written and composed in 1964.