Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Café  (Read 722589 times)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Arctic Café
« Reply #1200 on: July 02, 2018, 08:48:15 AM »
Not the same link, not the same duration... No one can know what is inside w/o watching it first (unless having 'crystal ball' which tells everything - in advance). ;)

Cut the crap, ivica. It's the same speech.

It is about #Views not Content, started here: Note about YT #Views. If you still want a discussion your way, please open a thread.

Do not let corporate media build your perspective. Resist. :)

< we still lack the culture... we lack leadership... >

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
« Reply #1201 on: July 02, 2018, 08:48:48 AM »
Yes it's the same speech, with a snippet from within (ivicas timed start) at the end and then restarting, but maybe what you are missing is that it should have had the same number of views as this one, + five billion clip:

The "Sleepy Puppy falls asleep on baby" video should have made the point.
This was the real point as I read it.

Honoring what Carl Sagan said in that speech leading up to the timed clip by posting the full run up towards that point (+13 minutes and +20MB).
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: July 02, 2018, 09:21:25 AM »
Thanks, Sleepy, your mp4 "Honoring what Carl Sagan said" has already 12 downloads - one is mine :)
Sagan's video #Views counts as of now 'whooping' 30 views.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: July 02, 2018, 09:32:08 AM »
At least my computer is solar powered. ;) Forum views ticks up as soon as someone reads the thread/page I think. Number of views on the youtube videos should be in the billions, at least.
And how many of those watched the entire lecture? How many watched it twice? How many understood it?  :-\
-

Martin Gisser

« Reply #1204 on: July 02, 2018, 04:45:23 PM »
Oh! I missed a yummy discussion here...
In winter I did a bit of research on the history of tensor calculus, so I had to have a closer look at the genesis of General Relativity...

Rob Dekker wrote: "So who is that mysterious Englishman you are talking about ?" Eddington ?

Eddington merely CONFIRMED Einstein's theory of relativity, based on observations :
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Eddington
Eddington's observations published the next year[10] confirmed Einstein's theory, and were hailed at the time as a conclusive proof of general relativity over the Newtonian model. The news was reported in newspapers all over the world as a major story.

Now that is interesting, because no observation can "prove" a theory to be correct.
It can only prove a theory to be false, just like what Sleepy just mentioned :
A scientific theory is never proven, it can only be falsified.

So, Einstein's theory was thus not "proven later by an englishman", but that englishman just provided more evidence that the theory was correct. Einstein himself had already proven his theory, giving his assumption that the speed of light is the same for every observer in the Universe.
There is mathematical proof and there is emprical "proof"...
Constancy of the speed of light wasn't enough (mathematically) to guess the correct field equation of General Relativity. Einstein (with much computational help from his friend Michele Besso) was actually looking at the perihelion advance of planet Mercury for clues and confirmation. He only was sure to have guessed the right field equation when it produced the observed perihelion advance of 43''.  In his first attempt at General Relativity, the "Entwurf" theory of 1913 (with lots of tensor calculus help by his friend Marcel Grossmann), he only got 18'' and so abandoned it.

https://einsteinpapers.press.princeton.edu/vol4-doc/366

-----------
So, Eddington was the second confirmation. Methinks it actually was a less stringent one than Einstein's own test with planet Mercury.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 05:50:59 PM by Martin Gisser »

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: July 02, 2018, 08:05:24 PM »
"I think we are much closer to the danger of Cassandra then the danger of Croesus" ends Sagan1990_Cassandra-Croesus.mp4 given by Sleepy today at 08:48:48.  (97 downloads so far)
Carl Sagan is a legend.

More from Ugo Bardi, the author of the book "The Seneca Effect": A fantasy, features Cassandra - the Trojan prophetess, The True Story of the Fall of Troy. Worrisome but strangely also relaxing and entertaining read :) Highly recomended!

June 24, 2018. at Cassandra's Legacy Ugo starts with: "Anote's Ark is a film by Matthieu Rytz describing the plight of the Kiribati islands, threatened by the rising sea level."

(CC: English(auto generated) - of use might be)

and ends with "If this interpretation is correct, the elites of most of the developed world will soon follow suit in the denial of climate change. We have just to wait and see."

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #1206 on: July 03, 2018, 09:02:37 AM »
Oh! I missed a yummy discussion here...
You can still have it  :)

There is mathematical proof and there is emprical "proof"...
The nice thing about English is that there are two words for proof :
The word 'proof' which applies to mathematical derivations (and to alcoholics  ;)) and the word 'evidence' which refers to empirical observations.

Constancy of the speed of light wasn't enough (mathematically) to guess the correct field equation of General Relativity.

Is that statement correct ?
As far as I understand the history, in its purest (mathematical) form the speed of light being constant for every observer was enough to come up with the theory of General Relativity.
If not, which other assumption needed to be made ?

Einstein (with much computational help from his friend Michele Besso) was actually looking at the perihelion advance of planet Mercury for clues and confirmation. He only was sure to have guessed the right field equation when it produced the observed perihelion advance of 43''.  In his first attempt at General Relativity, the "Entwurf" theory of 1913 (with lots of tensor calculus help by his friend Marcel Grossmann), he only got 18'' and so abandoned it.

https://einsteinpapers.press.princeton.edu/vol4-doc/366

I read this paper, and it seems to deal with the struggle by Einstein and Besso between 1913 and 1915 of actually modeling the solar system accurately in such a way that you can actually use the  precession of the perihelion of Mercury to see a difference between Newtonian physics and General Relativity.

Everything mattered there : Modeling the sun as a point mass versus a sphere with uniform mass distribution, or as a static object versus a rotating sphere, and modeling-in Jupiter, and Mercury and then the paper points out that there were mistakes in the calculations (like having the mass of the sun wrong by a factor of 10) and so on.

The take-away message I got from the paper is that it took Einstein and Besso et al 2 years to get the calculations right, so they could finally state with confidence that the precession of the perihelion of Mercury was inconsistent with Newtonian physics and that General Relativity explained it perfectly.

Is that your understanding as well ?

So, Eddington was the second confirmation. Methinks it actually was a less stringent one than Einstein's own test with planet Mercury.

Agreed.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:07:59 AM by Rob Dekker »
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: July 03, 2018, 09:07:16 AM »
June 24, 2018. at Cassandra's Legacy Ugo starts with: "Anote's Ark is a film by Matthieu Rytz describing the plight of the Kiribati islands, threatened by the rising sea level."

Thanks, downloading that one, into half of it right now.
Those auto generated English subtitles are As Intelligent as a lobotomized retarded cockroach and I found it easier to follow the Dutch ones.

Got stuck on this one as well:
http://cassandralegacy.blogspot.com/2018/07/overpopulation-problem-what.html

Back to Anote's Ark...

Edit; Two of the ending sentences:
De nieuwe regering is bezig om vrijwel het hele klimaatbeleid van Anote terug te draaien.
Volgens recente wetenschappelijke berekeningen zal Kiribati nog deze eeuw door de zee worden verzwolgen.

2ndEdit; adding perspective.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 10:41:44 AM by Sleepy »
-

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: July 03, 2018, 12:00:05 PM »
Previously, on Jun 20: These MEPs voted to restrict the internet.

July 5:
Internet Independence Day   (?? only 4,159 views since Jun 20, 2018. ??)
or
Corpocracy Orgasm Day
?

July 5 at noon.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1209 on: July 03, 2018, 05:29:29 PM »
Sleepy
Love the graphic showing CO2/yr
Dialing it back to 1988, (Hansen speaks to congress) gives some idea of where we need to go.

Thanks
Terry

Martin Gisser

« Reply #1210 on: July 03, 2018, 09:05:47 PM »
The take-away message I got from the paper is that it took Einstein and Besso et al 2 years to get the calculations right, so they could finally state with confidence that the precession of the perihelion of Mercury was inconsistent with Newtonian physics and that General Relativity explained it perfectly.
Mercury's perihelion precession was already known and found inconsistent with Newtonian gravitation in the 19th century:

Quoth https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tests_of_general_relativity#Perihelion_precession_of_Mercury
Mercury deviates from the precession predicted from these Newtonian effects. This anomalous rate of precession of the perihelion of Mercury's orbit was first recognized in 1859 as a problem in celestial mechanics, by Urbain Le Verrier. His reanalysis of available timed observations of transits of Mercury over the Sun's disk from 1697 to 1848 showed that the actual rate of the precession disagreed from that predicted from Newton's theory by 38″ (arc seconds) per tropical century (later re-estimated at 43″ by Simon Newcomb in 1882).

Einstein had a preliminary version of GR, his "Entwurf" (draft) theory of 1913. In that context he worked with Besso on the Mercury perihelion. It produced the wrong number of 18″. Then in 1915 he did the computation again with his new theory. (The computation seems to be virtually identical for both theories: Einstein/Besso just did an estimation. An exact solution was later found by Schwarzschild (which included the famous Schwarzschild radius)..)

Constancy of light speed was enough to derive Special Relativity, including E=mc². This is relatively simple plain math (which Einstein already learned at high school, I bet). But according to the above history, it was not enough for Einstein to guess the correct field equation of General Relativity. This is far more difficult math - which was part of Einstein's struggle:

------------
I'm not a physicist (too much math mess for me) but it looks like today, after having learned from Einstein, we can derive the correct field equation from first principles. Most (bad) physics books do it this way:
1) Constant speed of light
2) Differential geometry ("general covariance")
3) Vanishing tensor divergence of stress–energy tensor (here the trouble starts, as most physicists confuse this with scalar divergence (hence energy-momentum conservation). What does this really mean?)

I guess the philosophically best first-principle derivation is in Bleecker's "Gauge Theory and Variational Principles" - but his math is a grotesque waste of IQ. (Not a physicist's math mess - but a mathematician's abstract mess. Dunno what is worse.)

Alas my memory is weak and I got my library (with its dog-ears and post-its and marginalia) packed away, as I'm moving... I will check this soon (might serve a side remark or two for my tensor calculus book).

------------

BTW, almost always there's a plural in Field Equations. But it is one tensor equation. Only if you write it in components it looks like 10 equations
« Last Edit: July 03, 2018, 09:12:02 PM by Martin Gisser »

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: July 04, 2018, 07:08:31 AM »
Post by Joy Christian » Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:06 am at SciPhysicsForums thread:
"
Elsevier are corrupting open science in Europe:
https://www.theguardian.com/science/political-science/2018/jun/29/elsevier-are-corrupting-open-science-in-europe

Elsevier --- one of the largest and most notorious scholarly publishers --- are monitoring Open Science in the EU on behalf of the European Commission.

Jon Tennant argues that they cannot be trusted.
"

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #1212 on: July 04, 2018, 08:12:22 AM »
Regarding the origin of the theory of General Relativity :

I'm not a physicist (too much math mess for me) but it looks like today, after having learned from Einstein, we can derive the correct field equation from first principles. Most (bad) physics books do it this way:
1) Constant speed of light
2) Differential geometry ("general covariance")
3) Vanishing tensor divergence of stress–energy tensor (here the trouble starts, as most physicists confuse this with scalar divergence (hence energy-momentum conservation). What does this really mean?)

That's very interesting, Martin. Thank you for your response.
Even though these are "messy" first principles, they serve well as a basis for discussion of what the theory of General Relativity is really based on.

The first one is clearly a physical assumption. The same one as that led to Special Relativity and E=mc2 and all that.
But the other two seem to be mathematical properties that should hold in any three-dimensional Euclidean space.

Is that correct, or are there physical assumptions in these last two as well ?

And as a side-note, did Einstein use different 'first principles' for his "Entwurf" (draft) theory of 1913 ?

P.S. Good luck with your move.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 08:19:34 AM by Rob Dekker »
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: July 05, 2018, 01:06:09 PM »
July 5

Julia Reda @Senficon 46m46 minutes ago: "Great success: Your protests have worked! The European Parliament has sent the copyright law back to the drawing board. All MEPs will get to vote on #uploadfilters and the #linktax September 10–13. Now let's keep up the pressure to make sure we #SaveYourInternet!"

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: July 08, 2018, 10:09:20 AM »
Edit; almost forgot, congratulations Croatia!  :)

You really do not want to read this and I won't quote any of it.
https://medium.com/s/futurehuman/survival-of-the-richest-9ef6cddd0cc1
« Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 10:35:28 AM by Sleepy »
-

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #1215 on: July 08, 2018, 10:41:32 AM »

I love reading about this kind of stuff, because it shows that the rich are just as much victims of the system as the poor. So, thanks.

“How do I maintain authority over my security force after the event?”

Haha, poor bastards.  :D ;D

PS I hope that Croatia will finally get to play some football like they can, because the last three games their opponents were mostly interested in destroying any potential football. That sport has  followed societal degeneration to a T.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Forest Dweller

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #1216 on: July 08, 2018, 11:37:00 AM »
Lol, the game against Russia was so boring i fell asleep.
Glad Croatia won and i was up early to enjoy my favorite time of the week, early Sunday morning is just the best time to cycle around and enjoy the birds without any noise, heat, cars, pollen and other nasty stuff.
I even discovered the cutest little bakery already selling fresh bread!
The Dutch will win the World Cup though, it will just be on the women's side and Croatia hasn't a hope in Hell.
Unless Ivica gets involved no doubt....i'll bet she takes a bad ass penalty kick  ;D
All i have left to do is seed some clouds now.
Have a lovely day y'all!

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1217 on: July 08, 2018, 12:44:37 PM »
Unless Ivica gets involved no doubt....i'll bet she takes a bad ass penalty kick  ;D

I don't know, you'll have to ask his wife.  ;)
The enemy is within

E. Smith

johnm33

« Reply #1218 on: July 08, 2018, 03:15:08 PM »
"The True Story of the Fall of Troy" Very close to my take, I have Aeneas taking a huge bribe, it takes a fortune to lay the drains and water supply on for a city. Rome's was in place before they moved in. Achillies wasn't killed, he was seriously pissed off when he couldn't have Cassandra, went to Egypt and rescued the close relatives of Helen and left heading west, married one of her, less royal, half sisters/cousins.
Apposite, the Greeks were the security, they controlled the 7 gates/fortified cities where the navigable channels of the Nile met the med, switched sides to support the Assyrians ended up as Pharaohs.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: July 09, 2018, 09:02:53 AM »

I love reading about this kind of stuff, because it shows that the rich are just as much victims of the system as the poor. So, thanks.

“How do I maintain authority over my security force after the event?”

Haha, poor bastards.  :D ;D

PS I hope that Croatia will finally get to play some football like they can, because the last three games their opponents were mostly interested in destroying any potential football. That sport has  followed societal degeneration to a T.
I hope so as well, I intended to watch that game because I like the way Croatia can play. Unfortunately I fell asleep before the game started...  :(
The most boring game so far must have been the one between England and Sweden.  :P

Regarding Rushkoff, adding a snippet that connects a few dots from this thread and the real world, it's from this one: *ttps://youtu.be/Z8fSwAljA7g
-

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1220 on: July 09, 2018, 09:56:42 AM »
I remember Rushkoff from a documentary on marketing and advertising I watched almost 15 years ago. And also from something he had written that made a big impression, but I still have forgotten what it was. Interesting guy.

As for the football. I've been trying for two years now not to watch it anymore. I feel football has changed too much, with the end justifying the means for every country now, not just Italy and Portugal, etc. All I see is a focus on defense, thwarting any attempt at football by the opponent, trying to score an ugly goal and then defend even more. And then there's all the diving, cheating and trying to influence the referee.

Football is supposed to elevate us, like religion and art can do. But all I see, is a perfect copy of the society we live in, where anything goes and the thieves are celebrated.

I must say that the Scandinavian countries are a big deception to me (being a huge Sweden and Denmark fan in the past), but not as big as the Netherlands has been (my motherland). The Dutch used to be a prime example of what can be achieved when you have the guts and honour of wanting to have the ball, have a great technique and simply score one more goal than your opponent to show that you're the best. They've sacrificed all that on the altar of 'result'. I haven't watched an Oranje game in over 10 years, not even when they made it to the World Cup finals and semis in 2010 and 2014. It's a total disgrace, and now they can't even qualify for tournaments anymore because of their Faustian bargain.

It's nice if the underdog can win every once in a while, but only because it has a great day and is actually better than the opponent. But football has become so physical and tactical that anyone can beat anyone, especially if one team is trying to play football. And nationalism makes sure that 98% of people don't care. It's Eurovision on steroids.

So, maybe football has changed, or maybe I have changed. Either way, I'm happy for Croatia, but I try not to get involved emotionally, because I can't handle the deception. And I wouldn't watch if they didn't at least try to play some football. Hopefully they can show what they're made of against England, but I'm not too sure.

I promised my dad we would go to Zagreb if they make it to the final. A nice CO2 cherry on top of the cake. Oh well, at least my girls are enjoying it. ;)
The enemy is within

E. Smith

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: July 11, 2018, 11:12:45 AM »
(Anthropogenic Technozoic -->) Ecozoic

Realy good read there at dropped article links, Thomas Berry et al., voices calling for raising awareness toward communality.
Team Human vs. Corpocratists: 15 - 8   ;SQ index, my impression, diff of 7 orders of magnitude. Awe!

The Beer Time Is Near

Hello, football fans :)
Some call it "the best game in the world". Just in case, we have chessboard printed over shirt ;D
Cheers!

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1222 on: July 11, 2018, 11:49:54 AM »
~30's is not too old, it's perfect. Croatia is already through.

Rushkoff; "Return to the digits". "Occupy reality"8)
-

johnm33

« Reply #1223 on: July 11, 2018, 01:01:10 PM »
Orlovs take on American sports "Such a large American presence is surprising, since their countrymen tend to prefer various homespun games, such as the one in which men run around a field clutching an oblong object and give each other concussions, or the ball-and-stick game in which men mostly just stand around, spit a lot and endlessly adjust their caps"
I've never been a fan of professional football and share Nevens view of it, but I have watched a little of various games and Croatia is one team it's a pleasure to watch, so good luck to them.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: July 12, 2018, 12:18:23 PM »

Sorry, Mick ;)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1225 on: July 14, 2018, 12:03:37 AM »
"Perimeter Institute Director Neil Turok explores a universe of ideas and shares his optimism about the positive power of human ingenuity."

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1226 on: July 14, 2018, 08:54:33 PM »
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1227 on: July 15, 2018, 10:15:59 AM »
'Best Ever' World Cup deserves decent final game, hope it happens.

Last training, aftermath :o By The Siberian Times reporter.

Final, France and Croatia today, Moscow (Luzhniki Stadium). Let the football win.

[]  []  []
  []  []
[]  :)  []
  []  []
[]  []  []

« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 11:34:53 AM by ivica »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1228 on: July 15, 2018, 03:49:16 PM »
The "footballs of the gods" occur at Kettle Point in Ontario Canada as well.

http://www.snapshotjourneys.com/kettle-point-ontario-concretions-stone-kettles.html

Terry

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1229 on: July 15, 2018, 05:00:58 PM »
Time for Food and Football!  :)

Since this is the Café, stumbled over this now from CNN with one of the divers from the cave rescue:
https://www.facebook.com/cnninternational/videos/10156536673899641/
-

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1230 on: July 15, 2018, 09:22:06 PM »
OK, we did our bit there :)
Terry, Ontario should keep that balls safe for 2026. ;)

Ned W

« Reply #1231 on: July 15, 2018, 09:48:22 PM »
I'm not sure what exactly this thread is, but there didn't seem any other obvious place to put this:

Ice Loss Since 2002 Greater than Mass of Mars' Moon Phobos

https://davidappell.blogspot.com/2018/07/ice-loss-since-2002-greater-than-mass.html

To be fair, Phobos is quite small compared to our own Moon.  But that's still a lot of ice.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1232 on: July 15, 2018, 10:58:10 PM »
OK, we did our bit there :)

More than your bit. A special committee will have to determine what France has become world champion in, because it wasn't football. It never is when the ends justify the means.

I wish everybody in Croatia a beautiful doček tomorrow. Those players have done something wonderful. Not the result, but the way it was achieved.

Long live pride!
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1233 on: July 16, 2018, 08:15:07 AM »
Congratulations Croatia! They had some tough games before this and that penalty should never had been given at 1-1, but it was football.
How the games got to Russia is something else. Here's a Danish documentary aired here in June.
https://www.svtplay.se/video/18206514/dokument-utifran-det-hemliga-spelet-om-vm
Should be viewable outside Sweden. Adding a snippet with Peter Hargitay along with Blatter's comment at the end, what's true and what's not? Who knows, it just makes me sick.
-

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1234 on: July 17, 2018, 11:57:11 AM »
TeamHuman, @teamhumanshow, #TeamHumanLive
"Autonomous technologies, runaway markets and weaponized media have overturned civil society, paralyzing our ability to think constructively, connect meaningfully, or act purposefully. Being human is a team sport, and Douglas Rushkoff's Team Human Podcast and radio show has been the voice of human intervention in the machine."

Eventbrite: Team Human event in NYC, Thu, July 19, 2018.

Sleepy

• Nilas ice
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1235 on: July 17, 2018, 01:09:00 PM »
Crosspost because of the real team effort involved.

A real documentary with real people and real heroes.

Out of the dark, ~56 minutes. Also a quick glimpse of Vern Unsworth at ~6 minutes.
http://www.abc.net.au/4corners/out-of-the-dark/10000580

-

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1236 on: July 18, 2018, 09:10:04 AM »
"He swims through these dirty water hoping to raise awareness that disappearance of clear waters around the world." says his son Borut.

english speech, croatian subtitle

Martin Strel "Big River Man"

I watched it several times over the years and it always makes me Speechless!

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1237 on: July 19, 2018, 12:19:38 PM »

@MichaelGalanin Credit @WorldAndScience

-

On Thin Ice, Big Picture Science July 16, 2018, re-emit
Guests: Peter Wadhams, Eric Rignot, Asmund Asdal, John Priscu

About the Show
"
The show is available to radio stations for broadcast from PRSS, PRX and Pacifica Network.

If you are a station that would like to broadcast Big Picture Science, or would like more information about the program, email us at bigpicturescience@seti.org.
"

< i need a vacation. >

mostly_lurking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #1238 on: July 20, 2018, 09:32:52 AM »
This is here for the Alex reaction.... made me LOL

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #1239 on: July 25, 2018, 08:33:35 PM »
I was out running yesterday and as I was finishing up my track workout, a yellowjacket or wasp stung me on my lip. It hurt so effing bad and was bleeding. My lip is still swollen and partially numb today...I hope it gets better at some point. That's the second time in my life I've been stung by a wasp and it is just not great.
pls!

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1240 on: July 25, 2018, 09:41:50 PM »
I was out running yesterday and as I was finishing up my track workout, a yellowjacket or wasp stung me on my lip. It hurt so effing bad and was bleeding. My lip is still swollen and partially numb today...I hope it gets better at some point. That's the second time in my life I've been stung by a wasp and it is just not great.

You see, exercise and keeping fit is bad for you. I ride a pedal bicycle. To keep fit ? Nah. Less energy used in getting from A to B than on foot, with downhills allowing zero effort to progress. Uphills taken at very low gear without considering forward speed.

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1241 on: July 25, 2018, 10:23:41 PM »

You see, exercise and keeping fit is bad for you. I ride a pedal bicycle. To keep fit ? Nah. Less energy used in getting from A to B than on foot, with downhills allowing zero effort to progress. Uphills taken at very low gear without considering forward speed.

I love running tho! It's one of my favorite things and I have been doing it since I've been 6. I always try to get in around 2,500 miles per year - it's good for the heart/brain. Actually, it is just therapy for me. I do love riding bikes though. Thankfully, I can walk everywhere I need to on the island because I cannot stand driving.
pls!

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1242 on: July 27, 2018, 12:39:08 PM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44945452

BLOOD MOON tonight.

And in the UK after weeks and weeks of clear skies, a nasty weather system is moving in for 2 days before clear skies return again. Rain, clouds during an event that won't be repeated for such a length of time until the 22nd Century.  It sucks. Mind you N. America gets nothing - the moon will rise in the afternoon there.

Lunar eclipse: Skygazers await century's longest 'blood moon'
By Victoria Gill
Science correspondent, BBC News

Skywatchers will be treated to the longest "blood moon" eclipse of the 21st Century on Friday.

As it rises, during this total eclipse, Earth's natural satellite will turn a striking shade of red or ruddy brown.

The "totality" period, when light from the Moon is totally obscured, will last for one hour, 43 minutes.

At least part of the eclipse is visible from Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Australia, most of Asia and South America.

In the UK, rain clouds permitting, the Moon will appear entirely red - fully eclipsed by Earth - from when it rises at 21:00 to 22:15 BST.

On the same night and over the coming days, Mars will be at its closest point to Earth since 2003 - visible as a "bright red star" where skies are clear.

Why will the eclipse last so long?
The Moon will pass right through the centre of the Earth's shadow, at the shadow's widest point.
"This is actually almost as long as a lunar eclipse could be," Prof Tim O'Brien, an astrophysicist at University of Manchester, explained.

It coincides not only with Mars's close approach, but with what he described as a "procession of planets" - a line-up of our celestial neighbours that will give skywatchers a particularly good view of Venus, Jupiter, Saturn and Mars.

ps: strong tides?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2018, 12:46:17 PM by gerontocrat »

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #1243 on: July 27, 2018, 05:38:28 PM »
  It sucks. Mind you N. America gets nothing - the moon will rise in the afternoon there.

Next up, Republican commentators blame the lack of N American visibility of the lunar eclipse on a global conspiracy by astronomers.  Or is that the flat earthers?  Oh, same thing.

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1244 on: July 27, 2018, 10:57:13 PM »
On a completely different note, so much drama on the other forum I'm on. Good stuff! Still not sure why some people go in there and proverbially flip whatever's tied down upside down (Eminem lyric). Nonetheless, I'm so glad it is just about the weekend. I was out running and a hornet stung me and my entire face swelled up and ended up in the hospital. Good times indeed - apparently I performed my goat sacrifice incorrectly and the gods did not look upon me with favor /s.

Oh well, onto bigger and better things!
pls!

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1245 on: July 28, 2018, 06:12:48 AM »
You're supposed to drink goat milk (as I'm doing right now), not sacrifice the goat.  Sorry you had to learn the hard way. ;D :o :'(

I must add:  my sympathy for that difficult experience.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2018, 02:28:24 PM by Tor Bejnar »
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #1246 on: July 28, 2018, 08:06:54 AM »
  It sucks. Mind you N. America gets nothing - the moon will rise in the afternoon there.

Next up, Republican commentators blame the lack of N American visibility of the lunar eclipse on a global conspiracy by astronomers.  Or is that the flat earthers?  Oh, same thing.

In Luxembourg, it was beautiful. Very impressive to see Mars directly under the shadowed moon.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1247 on: July 28, 2018, 10:03:21 AM »
Same in Austria. And we saw the ISS too!
The enemy is within

E. Smith

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #1248 on: July 28, 2018, 11:44:58 AM »
The view from Tel Aviv.

Pmt111500

« Reply #1249 on: July 28, 2018, 12:26:12 PM »
Didn't see it for some pesky clouds that didn't even rain, but indirectly proved earth is round since a friend concurrently saw it 100 miles north of here...