Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Café  (Read 726244 times)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Arctic Café
« Reply #1300 on: October 08, 2018, 12:18:23 PM »
3 pertinent individual! questions: who am I, where have I come from, where am I going.
"
... you will see people, most of them driving their dream machines on Bangalore streets, all right?
How many are driving joyfully? ... If the traffic light takes ten more seconds they are freaking in their dream machine. Is it not a blessing that you bought this dream machine after working for whatever number of years, ...
The traffic is making sure, you stay in your dream machine for a little longer, what's your problem?
"

Quack, LukeWeAreChange con-spiritualy on some parts of it.

:) 

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: October 08, 2018, 09:53:02 PM »

Source

Just enjoying how much attention that cats put to photographer   :) 

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: October 09, 2018, 12:45:09 AM »
Kerala Flood Aftermath

Battling snakes and sewage to clean a city, BBC News, 2 October 2018
Isha’s On-Ground Action, Aug 30, 2018

Sadhguru @SadhguruJV 5:53 AM - Aug 24, 2018: "No matter who you worship or where you are born, human compassion and kindness trumps all. This is the power of consciousness. -Sg #KeralaFloodRelief"

Folk song from Kerala with English tune: Be Free (Pallivaalu Bhadravattakam), Published on Jan 9, 2017
btw: I admire this Kerala's Jain very much, he kinda turned my brain 'upside-down' and 'prepared' me for Sadhguru :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 12:50:34 AM by ivica »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #1303 on: October 09, 2018, 12:58:24 AM »
From the BBC article:"The women exchanged the saris they usually wore in favour of salwar kameez "

That's pretty rad, even for Kerala women.

sidd

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: October 10, 2018, 12:00:02 PM »
Nature is beautiful but not mystical

Joy Christian wrote:

In this thread, I want to discuss what in my view is the true difference between "classical" and "quantum" correlations and why "stronger-than-quantum" correlations are never observed in Nature. I have worked on this question for the past eleven years, starting with a short paper in 2007 and culminating in this latest: http://rsos.royalsocietypublishing.org/ ... 5/5/180526.

So, then, what do the so-called Bell-test experiments test? Do they not distinguish the "quantum" correlations from "classical" correlations? Well, not quite. The results of the above paper suggest that when certain correlations in the Bell-test experiments are seen to exceed the absolute bound of 2 on the Bell-CHSH inequality, then those correlations stem from those aspects of spacetime geometry and topology that depend on the non-commutative quaternionic or octonionic numbers. If, instead, they depended on the commutative real or complex numbers, then for those correlations the absolute bound of 2 on the Bell-CHSH inequality would not be exceeded. That is all there is to it. It is both beautiful and non-mystical. There is no such thing as irreducible randomness, non-reality, "quantum" spooky-action-at-a-distance, non-signaling non-locality, or any other kind of silly voodoo in Nature. Nature is beautiful but not mystical.
(my font messing)
Also, he proposes a very simple experiment, costing no more than a few hundred thousand dollars, to test it. Sadhguru might like it, geometry/topology is very important to him .

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: October 31, 2018, 10:07:00 AM »
21st Century Tribes

Majority of the voter population is a tribe member. No matter what their leadership do - tribe defend&protect them&that.
No democracy that way. Words are cheap, tribe alters their meaning - so to make it short:
In a living democracy you should never take a stance, this is something we have forgotten. Right now, in the United States I think only about four to five percent of the people decide the election. The rest of the people are already fixed. A democracy means that you evaluate the stance you want to take every time. And that is never a permanent stance.
http://www.theshillongtimes.com/2018/10/14/in-a-living-democracy-you-should-never-take-a-stance/
He comes from the largest democracy in the world.

""
< off >

Rob Dekker

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 120
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #1306 on: November 27, 2018, 03:33:47 AM »
Not really the Arctic, but it's cold here.
First picture from Mars by InSight.

I thought this was funny.
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: December 05, 2018, 01:48:09 PM »
Greta Thunberg

Pinned Tweet Greta Thunberg @GretaThunberg Sep 16: "Fridays for future. The school strike continues! #climatestrike #klimatstrejk #FridaysForFuture"

”So we have not come here to beg the world leaders to care for our future. They have ignored us in the past and they will ignore us again. We have come here to let them know that change is coming whether they like it or not.”, Alai

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2018/12/04/we-have-not-come-here-beg-world-leaders-care-15-year-old-greta-thunberg-tells-cop24

< thanks to Sleepy et al. who already mentioned Greta elsewhere >

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: December 17, 2018, 08:34:24 AM »
Inclusive Economics

Sadhguru: Interview with CNBC at the World Economic Forum, Davos, Switzerland, 2006.
Enabling the World, Huffington Post, 05/17/2010 04:15 pm ET Updated Dec 06, 2017:
For the first time, we are capable of addressing every human problem on this planet — nourishment, health, education, ecology - you name it, we can address it. We have the necessary resources, capabilities and technology for the very first time, but whether we will do it or not simply depends on how inclusive our experience of life is. If you stand here and experience this planet as yourself, I don’t have to tell you, “Take care of it.” Every human being would do their best. In our lives, if we do not do what we cannot do, that is not a problem, but if we do not do what we can do, that is a disaster. And right now, what we can do compared to what we could do 100 years ago is so different, so incredibly different, but what’s missing is an all-inclusive consciousness, an all-inclusive experience of life. If we truly have to create solutions that are relevant for all, an experience of absolute inclusiveness has to happen to humanity, particularly for the leadership. And this is possible.
(my bold)

His blog at https://www.huffingtonpost.com/author/sadhguru-j-vasudev has a hundred entries.

Motto: "where there is a problem there is also an opportunity"

Nemesis

« Reply #1309 on: December 17, 2018, 11:54:58 PM »
Sadhguru, when he was asked about climate change, said in some interview (refering to some folks in California owning 2 Ferrari and one Tesla)  "you cannot curtail human aspirations, you can only curtail human population, the best thing is to curtail human population." Sadhguru talks about the nonexistent per capita eco- footprint of poor indian masses, but doesn't mention the co2- footprint of these californian folks owning 2 Ferrari and 1 Tesla :)

He made similar statements when he was asked about the material wealth of several gurus in some other interview. But if you cannot curtail human aspirations, then you cannot curtail human population, because procreation is one of the most urgent aspirations of all beings, right? The climate proplem is deeply rooted in excessive global economic inequality, that's a well researched fact. But still rich folks will defend their wealth and multiply their wealth, while telling the masses to curtail the population.

Imagine ten people and 10 loafs of bread:

1 person got 9 loafs of bread for himself and the other 9 got 1 loaf of bread altogether. Now that one person tells these 9 persons:

" You need to curtail your population, that's the best thing to do! We're all in this together, all equally responsible for the very same shit, so cut down your population!"

I tell you how this neat little story will end:

Extinction.

You cannot curtail human population, if you cannot curtail human aspirations and if you cannot curtail human aspirations, we are doomed. The wealthier someone is, the higher his ecological footprint and therefore his responsibility. Most children are born in poor countries, people there can't afford any financial pension ect, so their children are their only wealth. Economic inequality, the aspirations of a few at the cost of the many is at the root of (not just) climate change. Human society is not in social balance, so Nature is not in balance as well.

Nemesis

« Reply #1310 on: December 18, 2018, 12:21:14 AM »
Sadhguru is also known as Jaggi Basudev:

"... Jaggi who was a low profile Guru shot to fame following his series in the popular weekly Ananda Vikatan titled ‘Athanaikum Aasaipadu’, which translates as, ‘desire for everything’. This is directly in contrast with the teachings of Buddha, which says, ‘desire is the root cause of all evil’. This series in Ananda Vikatan catapulted him to fame.  But he was yet to enter the power corridors..."

https://www.savukkuonline.com/13378/

https://www.newslaundry.com/2018/08/10/stream-of-bullshit-when-kangana-met-sadhguru

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: December 18, 2018, 08:20:38 AM »
Nemesis, welcome to the forum!
Continues here

Nemesis

« Reply #1312 on: December 18, 2018, 02:50:33 PM »
Hey ho ivica, thanks for the warm welcome :) "Bashing"? I just talked about some facts about Jaggi Basudev aka Sadhguru, things he said in his videos :) You call that "bashing"? And then you refer me to some place else showing beautiful pictures showing Jaggi Basudev and some children? Everyone can make pictures with children. I stick to the facts. Let's stick to what Sadhguru actually said:

" you cannot curtail human aspirations, you can only curtail human population, the best thing is to curtail human population."

See, this is Sadhguru in his own words. What's your take on that? It's ok to have 2 Ferrari and one Tesla (no chance to curtail such aspirations?), but it's not ok to have children? Btw, Sadhguru procreated, I didn't... You know, Sadhguru might be your guru or whatever, but he's not my guru...  :)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: December 18, 2018, 04:32:17 PM »
Nemesis, Café is not the place for such discussions - please consider opening your own thread.
However, your style reminds me somehow on tedious "Russia, ..." thread so I'm afraid I'll not have much time to participate. Good luck .

Nemesis

« Reply #1314 on: December 18, 2018, 04:43:25 PM »
@ivica

" Nemesis, Café is not the place for such discussions - please consider opening your own thread."

Well, I thought I'll comment on Sadhguru right were you refered to him. But he's not worth to open some thread, imo.

" However, your style reminds me somehow on tedious "Russia, ..." thread so I'm afraid I'll not have much time to participate. Good luck ."

Oh, Russia? I can asure you: I despise Putin just like I despise Trump and alike :) You are afraid you'll haven't much time to participate in our eyeopening discussion about Sadhguru? Well, your replies suited my needs already quite sufficiently, so thank you very much :)

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: December 18, 2018, 07:37:08 PM »
More from Great Greta

School strike for climate - save the world by changing the rules | Greta Thunberg | TEDxStockholm | Published on Dec 12, 2018
"This talk was given at a TEDx event using the TED conference format but independently organized by a local community."

Greta Thunberg's School Strike for the Climate | UPFSI | Published on Dec 4, 2018
"In this http://ScientistsWarning.org sponsored program at COP-24 in Poland, 15-year-old Greta is inspiring kids all over the world to save their future from the rampant double-speak of their political leaders."

Proactivness

Nemesis

« Reply #1316 on: December 18, 2018, 09:01:15 PM »
Quote GretaThunberg:

"... You only talk about moving forward with the same bad ideas that got us into this mess, even when the only sensible thing to do is to pull the emergency brake. You are not mature enough to tell it like it is. Even that burdon you leave to us children. Our civilization is being sacrificed for the opportunity of a very small number of people to continue making enormous amounts of money. Our biosphere is being sacrificed so that rich people in countries like mine can live in luxury. It is the suffering of the many wich pay for the wealth of the few... You are saying that you love your children above all else, yet you are stealing their future in front of their very eyes..."

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1336
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #1317 on: December 18, 2018, 11:35:17 PM »
The café is for good-natured banter, not for debating and satisfying the need to be right.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Nemesis

« Reply #1318 on: December 19, 2018, 12:14:05 AM »
@Neven

Are you talking to me specifically?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1319 on: December 19, 2018, 09:50:42 AM »
@Neven

Are you talking to me specifically?

Yes, but it goes for everybody.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: December 19, 2018, 10:02:50 AM »
Update on anti-spookiness

While waiting for JC's classical experiment to be funded and done this happened:
Optomechanical Bell Test, Phys. Rev. Lett. 121, 220404 – Published 29 November 2018

Joy Christian comments on it, Mon Dec 17, 2018:
That is exactly what I have argued for the past eleven years. See, e.g., https://www.academia.edu/24765800/Proposed_Macroscopic_Test_of_the_Physical_Relevance_of_Bells_Theorem. The key phrase of the authors here is the following:

"... without the need for a quantum description of our experiment."

What this means is that we have a definitive experimental proof --- published in PRL --- that Bell-type inequalities can be "violated" by purely classical, macroscopic systems!!!

Nature is beautiful isn't it .

Ardeus

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #1321 on: December 19, 2018, 03:13:29 PM »
I did an interview with prof. Peter Wadhams for a doc series I am working on about Lake Tanganyika and I am only using a few excerpts. He did find it strange that I wanted his input on the fate of Lake Tanganyika :) but the interview is of course mainly about the arctic.

Here's the full interview:

Nemesis

« Reply #1322 on: December 19, 2018, 06:02:22 PM »
@Neven

" Yes, but it goes for everybody."

Well, whatever facts there might be, they hold true for themselves, they don't need my support. So thanks for the hint, I will keep your admonition in mind carefully.

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: December 21, 2018, 10:40:48 AM »

Happy Holidays All!

Nemesis

« Reply #1324 on: December 21, 2018, 01:41:47 PM »
Sei nicht zu ernst

ivica

• Nilas ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: December 27, 2018, 04:54:39 PM »
< < . > >

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #1326 on: January 01, 2019, 07:12:15 PM »
Some food in the Arctic Café ?

Mixing an Italian and a Swedish receipe.

pearscot

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #1327 on: January 03, 2019, 01:13:22 AM »
Here are some pictures I took over my holiday out hiking and nature bathing:

pls!

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3518
  • Likes Given: 754
« Reply #1328 on: February 02, 2019, 02:42:20 PM »
The Groundhog Has Spoken
https://www.cnn.com/travel/amp/groundhog-day-punxsutawney-phil-prediction/index.html

Punxsutawney Phil predicts spring will come early. Don't get too excited, though -- he's usually wrong.

... In the past decade, Phil has predicted a longer winter seven times and an early spring three times. He was only right about 40% of the time, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, which says the groundhog shows "no predictive skill."

Radio Announcer: Okay campers, rise and shine, and don't forget your booties cause its cold out there ..

Phil: "This is one time where television really fails to capture the true excitement of a large squirrel predicting the weather."

Groundhog Day - 1993
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: February 16, 2019, 06:24:33 PM »
What Makes Some People Creative Thinkers and Others Analytical?
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-02-people-creative-thinkers-analytical.html

Are you a more creative or analytical thinker?

Analytical thinkers are particularly good at solving clear-cut problems by methodically working through the possibilities. Creative thinkers are more likely to have flashes of insight, or "aha moments," that can leapfrog over many steps of thinking to solve problems that are fuzzy or complex.

A new brain-imaging study from Drexel University's Creativity Research Lab reveals that the different "cognitive styles" of creative and analytical thinkers are due to fundamental differences in their brain activity that can be observed even when people are not working on a problem.

Analysts showed higher levels of activity in their frontal lobes. Insightfuls showed more activity in posterior brain areas, specifically, the temporal and parietal lobes.

A large body of research has shown that the frontal lobe plays a key role in organizing thought and behavior by inhibiting and controlling other parts of the brain. Analysts' high frontal-lobe activity is consistent with their methodical approach to solving the anagrams.

Past research also shows that when frontal-lobe activity is reduced, for example by damage or aging, thinking can become less focused and organized. The lower frontal-lobe activity of the Insightfuls supports a theory that creative insights occur when reduced mental focus allows unconsciously formed patterns or ideas to pop into awareness as "aha moments."

“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #1330 on: February 21, 2019, 05:25:12 PM »
Make peace, not war!

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 574
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #1331 on: February 22, 2019, 12:58:40 AM »
Once again those in power fight over resources while the common people are willing to share. I love that they leave a gift behind.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5306
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #1332 on: February 23, 2019, 02:28:22 PM »
Prescience?

Going, Going....               Philip Larkin, January 1972

I thought it would last my time—
The sense that, beyond the town,
There would always be fields and farms,
Where the village louts could climb
Such trees as were not cut down;
I knew there’d be false alarms

In the papers about old streets
And split level shopping, but some
Have always been left so far;
And when the old part retreats
As the bleak high-risers come
We can always escape in the car.

Things are tougher than we are, just
As earth will always respond
However we mess it about;
Chuck filth in the sea, if you must:
The tides will be clean beyond.
—But what do I feel now? Doubt?

Or age, simply? The crowd
Is young in the M1 cafe;
Their kids are screaming for more—
More houses, more parking allowed,
More caravan sites, more pay.
On the Business Page, a score

Of spectacled grins approve
Some takeover bid that entails
Five per cent profit (and ten
Per cent more in the estuaries): move
Your works to the unspoilt dales
(Grey area grants)! And when

You try to get near the sea
In summer . . .
       It seems, just now,
To be happening so very fast;
Despite all the land left free
For the first time I feel somehow
That it isn’t going to last,

That before I snuff it, the whole
Boiling will be bricked in
Except for the tourist parts—
First slum of Europe: a role
It won’t be hard to win,
With a cast of crooks and tarts.

And that will be England gone,
The shadows, the meadows, the lanes,
The guildhalls, the carved choirs.
There’ll be books; it will linger on
In galleries; but all that remains
For us will be concrete and tyres.

Most things are never meant.
This won’t be, most likely; but greeds
And garbage are too thick-strewn
To be swept up now, or invent
Excuses that make them all needs.
I just think it will happen, soon.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #1333 on: February 24, 2019, 12:53:36 PM »
Prescience?

You bet.

The name Philip Larkin sounded familiar, and then I remembered:

This Be The Verse

They fuck you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were fucked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another's throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don't have any kids yourself.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: February 26, 2019, 06:35:25 PM »

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #1335 on: February 26, 2019, 06:38:57 PM »
WOAH!  ;D

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1336 on: February 27, 2019, 12:03:59 PM »
First Dog on The Moon needed to cheer himself up.
Not a surprise as he looks at what Aussie is doing on the environment and Aussie politics in general.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/27/a-random-selection-of-nice-things-according-to-our-lovely-readers-you

Click on the image to see it all, and click again to make it bigger (Windows 10+Google Chrome)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1337 on: March 06, 2019, 04:14:47 PM »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2052
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #1338 on: March 08, 2019, 01:57:44 PM »
What a depressing story.

The teeth of the saws bit into half-a-millennium-old trunks, casting arcs of sawdust that settled over sword fern and moss.

So they can come back in 2511 (or 14 years later)...
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1339 on: March 12, 2019, 06:21:53 PM »
Mammoth Moves: Frozen Cells Come to Life, but 'Only Just'
https://phys.org/news/2019-03-mammoth-frozen-cells-life.html

A team of scientists in Japan has successfully coaxed activity from 28,000-year-old cells from a frozen mammoth implanted into mouse cells, but the woolly mammal is unlikely to be walking among us soon.

The project by an international team took cell nuclei from a well-preserved mammoth discovered in 2011 in Siberian permafrost and placed them into several dozen mouse egg cells.

Of those, five displayed the biological reactions that happen just before cell division begins, said Kei Miyamoto, a member of the team at Kindai University in western Japan.

None, however, produced the actual cell division needed for a mammoth rebirth, the researcher told AFP.

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2052
  • Likes Given: 1988
« Reply #1340 on: March 12, 2019, 08:50:04 PM »
Drat. I really wanted a small mammoth.  :'(
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: March 13, 2019, 02:41:10 AM »
Scientists were bracing for a butterfly collapse. Now they’re everywhere 
https://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-butterflies-desert-explosion-20190312-story.html?outputType=amp

Millions of Painted Ladies are migrating across California thanks to winter rains that provided the butterflies with an abundance of food

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1342 on: March 15, 2019, 04:04:27 PM »
Negative Emotions Reduce Our Capacity to Trust
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-03-negative-emotions-capacity.html

According to a new study negative emotions can reduce how much we trust others, even if these emotions were triggered by events that have nothing to do with the decision to trust. The study was carried out by an international research team from the University of Zurich (UZH) and the University of Amsterdam (UvA).

... The team investigated whether incidental aversive affect can influence trust behavior and the brain networks relevant for supporting social cognition. To induce a prolonged state of negative affect, the team used the well-established threat-of-shock method in which participants are threatened with (but only sometimes given) an unpleasant electrical shock. This threat has been shown to reliably induce anticipatory anxiety.

Within this emotional context, participants were then asked to play a trust game, which involved decisions about how much money they wished to invest in a stranger (with the stranger having the possibility to repay in kind, or keep all the invested money to themselves). The researchers found that participants indeed trusted significantly less when they were anxious about receiving a shock, even though the threat had nothing to do with their decision to trust.

The team also recorded participants' brain responses using functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) while they made trust decisions. This revealed that a region that is widely implicated in understanding others' beliefs, the temporoparietal junction (TPJ), was significantly suppressed during trust decisions when participants felt threatened, but not when they felt safe. The connectivity between the TPJ and the amygdala was also significantly suppressed by negative affect. Moreover, under safe conditions, the strength of the connectivity between the TPJ and other important social cognition regions, such as the posterior superior temporal sulcus and the dorsomedial prefrontal cortex, predicted how much participants trusted others. This relationship between brain activity and behavior was nullified when participants felt anxious.

Open Source: Jan B. Engelmann et al, The neural circuitry of affect-induced distortions of trust, Science Advances (2019)

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #1343 on: March 23, 2019, 05:13:53 PM »
Todays XKCD  ;D

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #1344 on: March 25, 2019, 08:25:07 PM »
In November 2018, the Tallahassee Friends Meeting (Quakers) adopted a "Faith Statement on Climate Change and Our Relationship to the Earth".  It starts
It is our experience and testimony that the Light, Life, and Love and Wisdom of God calls us to preserve and protect the holy creation of which we are a part. It is contrary to the Spirit of God to waste or exploit nature due to human greed or vanity. We are called to be good stewards of the Earth, to live simply and sustainably, and with care and reverence for all creation, preserving the Earth’s abundance for the glory of God so that future generations have the opportunity to share in this testimony and experience.
ends with
It is our testimony to the world that research and planning can evolve industrial practices and transportation and distribution systems that will lead to more equitable use of resources in an environment of relative climatic stability. We pray a reverential awe for life will inform policies and practices.
and includes a 1693 quote from William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania (a Quaker)
It would go a long way to caution and direct people in their use of the world, that they were better studied and knowing in the Creation of it.  For how could [they] find the confidence to abuse it, while they should see the great Creator stare them in the face, in all and every part of it?
The entire statement is attached.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: March 31, 2019, 07:10:45 AM »
Optical illusion helps Louvre's famous pyramid turn 30
https://m.dw.com/en/optical-illusion-helps-louvres-famous-pyramid-turn-30/g-48130758

The world's largest art museum may be more than 200 years old, but its iconic entrance — a glass pyramid — didn't arrive until 1989. To mark the structure's 30th anniversary, street artist JR was commissioned to design an optical illusion made of paper strips. The temporary collage, when viewed from above, gives the famed 21-meter-high (nearly 70-foot-high) pyramid dizzying added depth.

Pmt111500

« Reply #1346 on: March 31, 2019, 07:21:42 AM »
Todays XKCD  ;D

There's the conspiracy theory that building anything to Darien Gap will cause the sinking of the Caribbean plate in a megatsunami creating earthquake that'll drown the southern states of Trumpistan. I guess Cueball's peers are believing in this

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #1347 on: March 31, 2019, 07:27:23 AM »
There's the conspiracy theory that building anything to Darien Gap will cause the sinking of the Caribbean plate in a megatsunami creating earthquake that'll drown the southern states of Trumpistan. I guess Cueball's peers are believing in this

LOL, this might be the dumbest conspiracy theory ever.

Pmt111500

« Reply #1348 on: March 31, 2019, 07:52:50 AM »

LOL, this might be the dumbest conspiracy theory ever.
Maybe it's not true or I made that up on the fly.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1349 on: April 11, 2019, 01:31:44 AM »
Coffee Beans Not Vital for Human Survival, Switzerland Decides 
https://www.theguardian.com/food/2019/apr/10/switzerland-plans-to-end-emergency-stockpiling-of-coffee

Switzerland has announced plans to abolish the emergency stockpiling of coffee, a strategy that has been in place for decades, saying the beans are not vital for human survival – though opposition to the proposal is brewing.

This system of emergency reserves was established between the first and second world wars as Switzerland prepared for potential shortages in case of war, natural disaster or epidemics.

According to the plan released for public comment, coffee stockpiling obligations will expire by the end of 2022, with companies free to draw down what they have in their warehouses.

... “The Federal Office for National Economic Supply has concluded coffee ... is not essential for life,” the government said. “Coffee has almost no calories and subsequently does not contribute, from the physiological perspective, to safeguarding nutrition.”

I beg to differ.  ;)