Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Arctic Café  (Read 490853 times)

ivica

• Grease ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Arctic Café
« Reply #1450 on: December 14, 2019, 11:08:05 AM »
Yoga path is path of experiments

To create an outside situation, you need the cooperation of other people and forces. To create an inner situation, you only need yourself. #SadhguruQuotes"

< Seal >

ivica

• Grease ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: December 15, 2019, 11:16:37 AM »
The Common Man

"One With Earth" song - Ricky Kej - Tribute to Farmers of India

ivica

• Grease ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: December 16, 2019, 10:53:26 AM »
Of Love and Life

How many smiles you had today? How about a few more?
"Karan Johar, one of the leading director–producers in Hindi cinema, in conversation with Sadhguru on the topic "Of Love and Life"." NSCI SVP Stadium Mumbai, audience 7000+. The questions are listed in the video description.

ivica

• Grease ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: December 17, 2019, 11:21:37 AM »
One Song    

:) Happy :) Holidays :)   

blumenkraft

• Nilas ice
  • Fans of Hans Club - circa 2018
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 863
  • Likes Given: 1191
« Reply #1454 on: December 17, 2019, 11:29:05 AM »
You too! :)
The apocalypse is already here; it's just not very evenly distributed.

Juan C. García

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 598
  • Likes Given: 542
« Reply #1455 on: January 08, 2020, 07:14:41 PM »
Will AGW view of Australian government change, after these horrible bush fires?
There’s a political storm brewing in Australia, as well. In its epicenter is conservative Prime Minister Scott Morrison, who has been criticized not just for his initial lax handling of the crisis — he was on holiday in Hawaii as his nation burned — but, more importantly, for his broader resistance to political measures aimed at mitigating climate change. Morrison remains infamous for a stunt he pulled in 2017, when, as Australia’s treasurer, he showed up to a session of Parliament brandishing a lump of coal and a message to his colleagues not to be “scared” by fossil fuels.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2020/01/08/apocalyptic-wildfires-may-force-climate-reckoning-australias-conservative-leader/
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

Juan C. García

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 598
  • Likes Given: 542
« Reply #1456 on: January 08, 2020, 07:29:31 PM »
Continuing with this subject:
Australia ranked worst of 57 countries on climate change policy

Australia is the worst-performing country on climate change policy, according to a new international ranking of 57 countries. The report also criticises the Morrison government for being a “regressive force” internationally.

The 2020 Climate Change Performance Index, prepared by a group of thinktanks comprising the NewClimate Institute, the Climate Action Network and Germanwatch, looks at national climate action across the categories of emissions, renewable energy, energy use and policy.

Across all four categories, Australia was ranked as the sixth-worst performing of the 57 countries assessed.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/dec/11/australia-ranked-worst-of-57-countries-on-climate-change-policy#maincontent
Which is the best answer to Sep-2012 ASI lost (compared to 1979-2000)?
50% [NSIDC Extent] or
73% [PIOMAS Volume]

Volume is harder to measure than extent, but 3-dimensional space is real, 2D's hide ~50% thickness gone.
-> IPCC/NSIDC trends [based on extent] underestimate the real speed of ASI lost.

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO2, 35 KWh/wk,130L H2O/wk, No heating
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 190
  • Likes Given: 8729
« Reply #1457 on: January 12, 2020, 05:38:51 PM »
An interesting discussion, solutions from the Guardian comments section I like to share:

"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
   Simple: minimize your possessions and be free and kind    It's just a mindset.       Refugees welcome

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: January 12, 2020, 05:41:14 PM »
Perhaps this would make a nice jigsaw puzzle for Tor
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
   Simple: minimize your possessions and be free and kind    It's just a mindset.       Refugees welcome

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: January 13, 2020, 05:24:34 PM »
For fellow members who maybe think that I am a yellow keyboard warrior  8):

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 497
  • Likes Given: 438
« Reply #1460 on: January 13, 2020, 10:05:47 PM »
Ah the modern dutch savage.  ;)

I remember watching a really old soccer clip and after the home side scored all the men threw their hats in the air.

Missing polsstok though...
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 646
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #1461 on: January 13, 2020, 11:16:33 PM »
I saw polsstoks used to jump a moat in an aged silent flick and was immediately reminded of nanning.
I'd never come across the word, or the concept, until nanning spelled it out. :)
Terry

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: January 14, 2020, 03:14:43 PM »
If you ever have watched pole vaulting in the olympics you have seen the concept.
I loved the robo jausting idea proposed in the AI thread. Possibly a sport which i would watch.  :)
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: January 14, 2020, 06:13:50 PM »
^^
I applied for membership of track-and-field club "Phanos" in Amsterdam to start with pole vaulting, expecting to very good at it. Alas when they found out I was 50 years old they said I had to learn the basics first and then blocked me from entering the basics course. I have been (very) cross about that age discrimination for more than half a year. They wouldn't even let me show them what I can do. Bastards!

I likely would've been in the national team by now (I am very athletic and very good at pols leaping) and would have found a route out of unemployment.

kassy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: January 15, 2020, 04:19:12 PM »
You would fail the doping tests with the current diet though...

I loved the idea of jumping over 6 meters. Basically jump straight onto the roof of our house.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: January 15, 2020, 05:46:30 PM »
LOL  yes I would be excluded with my current 'diet'.

I can jump over a 6m wide ditch, but that's horizontal. I assume your house isn't built that way.

The technique to use is called the "boerenplons": you take a run and jump with your pols over the side of the ditch before ramming it into the middle of the ditch and swing & climb the rest. Many times you have to jump the last bit and leave your pols behind, stuck in the ditch, out of reach.
When the ditch water was still frozen, we would break the ice with the pols and then jump, but what happened often, is that the pols got stuck behind a piece of ice (NL: schots) in the middle of the ditch. Wet AND cold.
At some birthday parties we would all take to the fields with our polsen and find a suitable (small) ditch. Then 1 pols would be removed and that person had to tag someone and get his/her pols. It is possible to jump a small ditch without a pols, which can go wrong amusingly.
O what wonderful (wet) times we had. No wonder I have no allergies.

Cheers ("Tsjoch" in Frisian).

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: January 16, 2020, 07:43:08 PM »
Perhaps you'll find this interesting. A map of Europe in 814. Spot the Netherlands and/or Holland.
(click for a bigger picture)

blumenkraft

• Nilas ice
  • Fans of Hans Club - circa 2018
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 863
  • Likes Given: 1191
« Reply #1467 on: January 17, 2020, 06:59:00 AM »
Not even the Scottish? WTF history??

;D
The apocalypse is already here; it's just not very evenly distributed.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: January 17, 2020, 08:12:52 AM »
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland#Early_history

"In the twelfth and thirteenth centuries, with much of Scotland under the control of a single ruler and united by the Gaelic language, a modern nation-state first emerged, as did Scottish national consciousness."

And if you're interested:

"Beginning in the sixth century, the area that is now Scotland was divided into three areas: Pictland, a patchwork of small lordships in central Scotland;[36]:25–26 the Anglo-Saxon Kingdom of Northumbria, which had conquered southeastern Scotland;[36]:18–20 and Dál Riata, founded by settlers from Ireland, bringing Gaelic language and culture with them.[36]:20 These societies were based on the family unit and had sharp divisions in wealth, although the vast majority were poor and worked full-time in subsistence agriculture. The Picts kept slaves (mostly captured in war) through the ninth century.[36]:26–27"

ivica

• Grease ice
  • Kelele
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: January 20, 2020, 10:00:01 AM »
“A Blessing For Anyone”

Amazing New Song By Michael Brunnock Based On A Poem By Caitlin Johnstone

We need to seize the means of creating culture, take it out of the hands of the social engineers who have us all stanning for billionaires at the expense of the planet, and start making beautiful, inspiring, healthy memes to feed our hearts and souls with. This is one such effort to do so.
More at caitlinjohnstone.com

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: January 20, 2020, 06:29:22 PM »
A gerenal question:
I have some organic corn (the hard seeds) that I've bought for birds but they don't eat it.

So now I like to make popcorn, preferably nice sweet ones. But not too elaborate.
I have bought my first ever bottle of maple syrup (I have never even tasted it) but am completely unexperienced in making sweet popcorn with it. Oven/microwave/frying pan? Oil/butter? Timing? Of course I can find recipe's on youtube etc. but prefer to hear advise from my forumfriends in our café.
Since most people on this forum are from the U.S.A. or Canada, I thought to ask you for some ideas and instructions.

Cheers.

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #1471 on: Today at 08:02:45 AM »
Hey Tom did you know this:

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/hisc/info/invasive-species-profiles/mongoose/

Mongoose are opportunistic feeders that will eat birds, small mammals, reptiles, insects, fruits, and plants. They prey on the eggs and hatchlings of native ground nesting birds and endangered sea turtles. The small Indian mongoose has been blamed with the extinction of ground-nesting birds in Jamaica and Fiji and commonly kill birds, including 8 federally listed endangered Hawaiian birds, such as the Hawaiian crow (‘alalā), petrels (ʻuʻau) and Hawaiian goose (nēnē). It was estimated in 1999 that mongoose cause $50 million in damages to Hawai`i and Puerto Rico annually.

Bad mongoose! ;)

Freegrass

• Frazil ice
  • Worried Warrior
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 167
  • Likes Given: 175
« Reply #1472 on: Today at 09:40:32 AM »
Perhaps you'll find this interesting. A map of Europe in 814. Spot the Netherlands and/or Holland.
This is what happened in Europe from the year 1000 until now. I love this video.
The Existential Climate Crisis Is Upon Us!