Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Heating with wood or pellets ? and air heat pump ?  (Read 27034 times)

Simon

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Heating with wood or pellets ? and air heat pump ?
« Reply #100 on: September 20, 2019, 04:36:27 PM »
According to this Finnish study, log burning is not good for the climate. Pellet burning is far better. The best method of home heating is heat pumps powered by zero carbon electricity. Trouble is, heat pumps only work well in well insulated houses.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421519304161

Pmt111500

• Nilas ice
  • Yes, I do not always bicycle
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 89
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #101 on: September 20, 2019, 04:58:32 PM »
According to this Finnish study, log burning is not good for the climate. Pellet burning is far better. The best method of home heating is heat pumps powered by zero carbon electricity. Trouble is, heat pumps only work well in well insulated houses.

Thanks Simon, I've got a friend using the pellet system, he can probably summarize more of that. On this house it isn't an option. What could work is the ground heat pump, but the lowest floors should be ripped off for installation and the owners of those parts aren't going to approve. I guess some of them would rather let the house rot than to lose rent.
Cooling the outside by heat pump.

VaughnAn

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 325
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2019, 07:38:10 PM »
My grandfather and my greatgrandfather built my house in 1909.  Needless to say, I have done major improvements including residing and insulation.  I have one section that was built in 1950 that I moved from another house.

I heat with a wood stove and have no need for air conditioning.  The wood stove I have is a Waterford 103 and needs to replaced this year as it has seen better days.  I will be afraid to use it before too long(Parts appear to be no longer available either per various stove people).  I had the chimney replaced in 1978 when I got the Waterford.  The chimney is in excellent condition. 

I live near suburbia and semi-forested land.  I am able to get all the free wood I need.  All I have to do is get it so I do use fossil fuels in my chainsaw and a pickup so that part isn't free.  Sometimes people even pay me to haul it off but I don't ask to be paid because I use it to heat my house and for other projects.  Otherwise most of this wood would either end up in a landfill or left to rot. 

Incidentally electric rates have been falling in this area as well due to renewable energy sources.  The rate of the decrease has been increasing of late as well. 

etienne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2019, 09:00:06 PM »

Thanks Simon, I've got a friend using the pellet system, he can probably summarize more of that. On this house it isn't an option. What could work is the ground heat pump, but the lowest floors should be ripped off for installation and the owners of those parts aren't going to approve. I guess some of them would rather let the house rot than to lose rent.
I believe that the study is not fair for woodburning. Most emissions come from sauna stove and open fire places. Looking at that study, my conclusion would be that investments in efficient systems is urgent. There was also a Goddard Institute study making the difference between black carbon (fossil fuels) and brown carbon (when burning biomas). Brown carbon was found to be less climate heating. I don't have the reference here but will try to find it.
Of course burning wood produces CO2 and, like I always say, using renewable energy doesn't allow you to waste it.

etienne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2019, 09:11:20 PM »
What makes the difference with a wood or pellets stoves is heat on demand, or a very short time between starting the fire and enjoying heat. Infra red heaters also provide that possibility. So you can let the temperature go much lower when you leave your home.

etienne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2019, 05:45:48 PM »
Here is the study comparing the impact of black and brown carbon as aerosols.
https://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/briefs/bauer_01/

Pmt111500

• Nilas ice
  • Yes, I do not always bicycle
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 89
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #106 on: October 07, 2019, 03:04:48 PM »
Had to keep the bathroom battery on though at low temperature, but otherwise the four hour cycle I described seems to work. I'll of course have to lengthen the on-time once the freezing temperatures start kicking in. Very nice to wake up to a warm kitchen. On couple of days with north winds I had to run the heat pump a bit on the days too, since I just don't manage well in under 18.

But of course the real measure would be the next electric bill.
Cooling the outside by heat pump.