Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The problem of Corporate Democrats and how to kick them out  (Read 429204 times)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: The problem of Corporate Democrats and how to kick them out
« Reply #2000 on: February 04, 2020, 11:24:29 PM »
^^
Sitting this one out then?

Terry

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #2001 on: February 05, 2020, 08:51:01 AM »
Let the corrupt cheating begin!

The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2002 on: February 05, 2020, 08:56:48 AM »
Re: Sitting this one out

Dunno. Early days yet, many months till the actual election. Right now its the democrats battling, dont much affect trump country.

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: February 06, 2020, 08:03:24 AM »
DNC aint even trying to hide it anymore: rules committee members working for Bloomberg

"DNC Chair Tom Perez nominated Alexandra Rooker, a vice chair for the California Democratic Party, to serve as vice chair of the convention's Rules Committee a month after she was hired as an adviser to the Bloomberg campaign"

"former Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, is a member of the DNC’s Standing Rules and Bylaws Committee, and joined the Bloomberg campaign in December as national political chair."

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/481722-tlaib-calls-out-conflict-of-interest-over-reports-two-dnc-rules-committee

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #2004 on: February 06, 2020, 09:10:23 AM »
I have limited time, these are my go-to people for information. They are not perfect, but I trust their integrity. If anyone can direct me to better analysis of what's going on in Iowa and why it's not shady at all or why the optics aren't terrible, I'll certainly watch it.

As it is, it looks like cheating by and for Corporate Democrats is in turbo overdrive:

The enemy is within

E. Smith

blumenkraft

« Reply #2005 on: February 06, 2020, 09:41:57 AM »
Sorry, Neven. Everyone i trust in (independent) media finds it shady as well.

I would like to recommend the Nomiki Konst Show though.

blumenkraft

« Reply #2006 on: February 06, 2020, 02:45:13 PM »
Welcome to the Bullshit Economy

The Iowa caucus disaster is a function of a broken economic structure that rewards con artistry over competence.

Link >> https://prospect.org/politics/bullshit-economy-iowa-caucus-disaster/

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2007 on: February 06, 2020, 03:40:11 PM »
Dunno. Mebbe in Iowa, but i havent been thru there lately. In rural Trump country i been thru in the last few months (Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, PA, Kentucky, W Virginia)  nobody seems to want to talk politics lately. I dont blame em.
My experience is that if they're mentioning anyone, it's Bloomberg. They don't closely follow politics, but they still see all of the ads.

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: February 06, 2020, 04:12:47 PM »
I have limited time, these are my go-to people for information. They are not perfect, but I trust their integrity. If anyone can direct me to better analysis of what's going on in Iowa and why it's not shady at all or why the optics aren't terrible, I'll certainly watch it.

I liked Vice's take, which is essentially that the problem could have been simple incompetence, but corruption is almost certainly involved.
Corruption and incompetence functioned not as opposed but as complementary explanations. People worked, openly or in secret, against the common good; other people just sucked at their jobs; their efforts intertwined, and their efficacy remains impossible to untangle.
How do you separate out the failures of the secret and untested app from the political agendas of the people who insisted on using it in the first place? How do you trust that party honchos who have been just as anti-Sanders this cycle as they were in 2016 are simply awful at their jobs? How do you decide to ascribe to ineptitude what could be explained by malice, when malice has played a crucial role in so many electoral fiascos?
vice.com/en_us/article/bvgv7d/incompetence-and-corruption-arent-mutually-exclusive

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #2009 on: February 06, 2020, 05:41:42 PM »
One man, e.g. Sanders, cannot clean the stables - Hercules is mythology.

Unless the entire DNC is thrown out, all attempts to rid the democrats of corporate ownership are DOOMED...DOOMED.

That ain't going to happen, and the Republicans are actively seeking and finding new depths of sheer immorality to plumb.

Perhaps as far as US Politics is concerned, we are far beyond the point of no return.

Have a good day

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: February 06, 2020, 06:32:59 PM »
^^
Ramen

Terry

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #2011 on: February 07, 2020, 12:03:41 AM »
I have only one word for this: craven.

Why are we on page 41 of this thread!? We could have all just agreed on page 1!
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #2012 on: February 07, 2020, 12:39:57 AM »
The enemy is within

E. Smith

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #2013 on: February 07, 2020, 01:31:13 AM »
It just keeps going, cheating to create a false narrative/propaganda to give Mayor Pete momentum in other states. This is insane...

Is there anyone here who is seeing this differently?
The enemy is within

E. Smith

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: February 07, 2020, 04:13:04 PM »
It just keeps going, cheating to create a false narrative/propaganda to give Mayor Pete momentum in other states. This is insane...

Is there anyone here who is seeing this differently?
I don't necessarily disagree, but I think the level of importance is being exaggerated. The only reason Iowa matters is because of the narratives created. The corruption angle is becoming a narrative of its own. I think progressives should actually be happy that party corruption/incompetence was the major story. Buttigieg was going to be talked about regardless of whether he finished 1st or 2nd because he beat expectations and surpassed Biden in the establishment lane.

The media is going to talk about whatever they want. It's not like they were going to anoint Bernie if he narrowly won the delegate count on Monday. In my opinion, corporate media and oligarchy remains a much bigger issue than corruption of the process that delays results by a few days. I expect that to become much more clear in March when Bloomberg's spending starts to show itself on Super Tuesday.

blumenkraft

« Reply #2015 on: February 12, 2020, 01:32:34 PM »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #2016 on: February 12, 2020, 11:48:09 PM »
I don't necessarily disagree, but I think the level of importance is being exaggerated.

I don't necessarily disagree, but...

The enemy is within

E. Smith

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: February 13, 2020, 06:44:27 PM »
Again, I think any effect of that hire is negligible in comparison to Bloomberg completely bypassing the traditional early-state narrative building process. Buttigieg currently has 22 or 23 delegates. Nevada has 36 available. 1344 will be awarded on March 3. In some respects, it's in Bernie's interest that Buttigieg, Biden, and Klobuchar dominate media to prevent consolidation around a single establishment candidate.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: February 23, 2020, 12:23:15 AM »
Bloomberg is a competent Trump: Blanchfield at n+1 magazine

"we Americans are increasingly being asked to contemplate the prospect of voting for one of two unsavory businessmen."

"Mike Bloomberg spent over a decade presiding over a gargantuan machine for oppressing people of color, the poor, and poor people of color most of all ... He is the carceral and surveillance state personified, and the living embodiment of its unholy fusion with racial capitalism’s processes of gentrification and the extraction of wealth."

"What is fundamentally at stake in debates over Stop and Frisk is the prerogative of armed agents of the state to control urban space by physically dominating people within it ... the issue of space is invariably racialized, and bound up in considerations of class, territorial control, and real estate development. "

" it is an act of discipline, a ritualized practice of public humiliation and domination"

" is always about imposing a moral and racialized order of patriarchal capitalism on the poor in the city. "

"Bloomberg’s apologetics about wanting to “sav[e] lives” is cheap recompense weighed against the lost years and foreclosed futures of young men ripped from their lives and tossed behind bars. Meanwhile, their neighborhoods, once suitably “cleaned up,” are inevitably gentrified ... the imposition of “Broken Windows” policing and pretextual stops on majority black and brown neighborhoods is part and parcel of, and almost invariable preparation for, whitening processes of gentrification. "

"the inhuman perspective of a man who sees people simply as credit scores or data points instead of human beings ... a person so insulated and hollowed out by his own unfathomable wealth that he cannot but constantly blame the vulnerable for the conditions of their own immiseration."

"Which flavor of authoritarian oligarch would you prefer? The one who is bloodthirsty and vulgar about hating Muslims, or the one who is more polite and technocratic about it? The salivating, rabid racist, or the cool, self-congratulating one? "

"The current trend among advocates and pundits is already clear. Non-billionaire Americans must declare ... which of these two billionaires we will support. The choice, we are told, is binary: either pledge to vote for the one, or take responsibility for “effectively” electing the other by withholding support from the pundits’ “electable” choice. To reject this framing is to ignore the “big picture” in favor of self-indulgent, small-mindedness. You, the American voter who rightly despises both these men, are actually a “hostage-taker” holding democracy itself ransom for selfish reasons ... Mike Bloomberg and Donald Trump are avatars of the Janus-faced billionaire God of everything wrong with New York City and nearly everything wrong with this country."

https://nplusonemag.com/online-only/online-only/wheres-the-savior/

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: February 23, 2020, 12:58:58 PM »
^^
Raman!!
A Trump vs Bloomberg grudge match this November will leave many Progressives asking which oligarch is actually the lesser of the two evils.
Do we sit this one out & hope for better in 2024? - It didn't work well in 2016.
Does sending in our nickels and dimes make sense when our candidate is the 9th richest man in the world?
Is it time for a 3d party? If we lose, just what will we have lost?

So much is riding on the DNC nominating, then throwing all of their considerable resources behind the candidacy of Bernie Sanders.
I fear a rerun of 1968 when Eugene McCarthy a popular anti-war candidate who did well in the primaries, was thrown to the dogs by the DNC. After Bobby, the other anti-war candidate was disposed of, Humphry, a Chicken Hawk Democrat was selected by the DBC- only to lose to Nixon.

If COVI-19 becomes pandemic, then every incumbent holds a losing hand. The challengers will sweep into Washington on chariots drawn by Black Swans.
I can't imagine that COVI-19 won't be a major factor in the coming election. Even if we somehow escape the full force of this virus, the economic downturn alone will tank every incumbent's hope of winning another term.
With Trump shackled to the virus, the DNC's selection will probably win the Presidency.
Can the DNC be trusted?
Terry

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #2020 on: February 23, 2020, 01:24:10 PM »
TerryM:
That’s what happened in 1968, but what happened in 1972? I was just starting high school and McCarthy was running against Nixon. My social sciences teacher said he was voting for McCarthy even though there was no chance he would win. I think he won one state. Nixon got over 60% of the vote, the biggest landslide of my life.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: February 24, 2020, 02:44:41 AM »
2020 ain't 1972: Trump ain't Nixon: But Sanders echoes McGovern

"McGovern has become a convenient bogeyman for any moderate or conservative arguing that leftism is a fatal disease in a general election."

“McGovern called health care a human right and backed a free-at-the-point-of-service single-payer health-care plan”

“He also proposed increased Social Security benefits, boosting union rights, steep hikes in taxes on the rich, and a universal basic income”

"McGovern’s rise within the Democratic Party relied on small donations from a young and ethnically diverse grassroots base, rather than the support of party elites."

"Nixon was a popular incumbent in the summer of 1972. His approval rating hovered above 60 percent for most of the year"

"The country has moved to the left on a host of issues that McGovern championed, including gay rights, health care, and income support for poor workers. And Hispanic and black voters, who broke hard for McGovern, account for a larger share of the electorate."

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/02/bernie-sanders-george-mcgovern/606883/

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: February 24, 2020, 02:50:12 AM »
Democrats and Republicans agree: Jail the poor

"Reform advocates had taken the opportunity to pass a historic raft of criminal justice reforms. Money bail was eliminated for most, though not all, defendants. A host of minor offenses would now result in a notice to appear in court, rather than arrest. And a longstanding imbalance that allowed prosecutors to withhold their evidence against a defendant until the day of trial was finally righted."

"New York Attorney General Letitia James, a Democrat and former public defender, called for changes to the new law."

"Gov. Andrew Cuomo was already calling the previous year’s signature Democratic achievement a “work in progress” with “other changes that have to be made”  "

"Bill de Blasio echoed his police commissioner in blaming the reforms for an uptick in crime "

"it became clear that some Democrats intended to throw them under the bus. The Democratic leaders of the state Senate announced a plan to completely overturn what they’d passed the previous year."

" it’s increasingly likely that the reforms will be rolled into the budget process ... rather than giving bills a full public debate and an up-or-down vote, the governor and legislative leaders engage in closed-door horse-trading, bartering one piece of legislation for another to create a last-minute “take it or leave it” omnibus package ...  is where good laws with popular support and seemingly strong legislative backing go to die in the dark."

https://theintercept.com/2020/02/23/criminal-justice-bail-reform-backlash-new-york/

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: February 29, 2020, 08:40:27 AM »
Bloomberg hires vice chairs of Texas and California Democratic parties: Very legal, very cool

"Bloomberg hired Texas Democratic Party Vice Chair Carla Brailey as a senior adviser to his campaign in December, and he hired California State Democratic Party Vice Chair Alexandra Rooker for a similar role in January."

"Brailey and Rooker are superdelegates"

"Hiring the leadership of a state party doesn’t appear to break any campaign laws"

"Rooker is one of two members of Bloomberg’s campaign staff who also sits on the Democratic National Committee’s rules committee"

" campaign has poured tens of millions of dollars into both Texas and California "

"In California, Bloomberg has hired a number of party alums in addition to Rooker"

https://theintercept.com/2020/02/28/bloomberg-super-tuesday-texas-california-democratic-party-hires/

Best democrats money can buy.

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: February 29, 2020, 09:43:28 PM »
Stop Sanders: the money machines

"The campaign against Sanders originated with hybrid PAC Democratic Majority for Israel, a pro-Israel moderate group, that spent over $1.4 million against Sanders. "

" Its biggest donor is Stacy Schusterman, CEO of Samson Resources, an oil and gas company ... Venture capitalist Gary Mark Lauder ... New York businessman Milton Cooper ... Ron Zeff, founder and CEO of Carmel Partners, a real estate investment firm"

https://www.opensecrets.org/news/2020/02/who-is-funding-the-anti-bernie-sanders-super-pac/

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2025 on: March 07, 2020, 05:59:30 AM »
The kids are alright: Alberta at politico on the new socialist generation in columbus, ohio

"Socialism is ascendant among ascendant voters, the youngsters ages 18 to 35, not as a short-term political engine to propel Sanders into the White House but as a long-term restructuring of the American social contract"

"Ohio is perceived to be placid, politically unoffensive, as dull and tame as its topography. And yet, few places have populist roots that run deeper than they do here. "

"community—is central to the worldview of the young socialists I met in Columbus"

"This isn’t about the success of one person, it’s about the success of a movement. Bernie is building a movement that will be able to take power back. "

"Today, Pok isn’t putting his faith in a political figure. He supports Sanders but is skeptical that a president, any president, can do much to affect his life. “That’s why I’m here,” he said, motioning toward the DSA allies behind him."

"they think impeachment is going solve all our problems. It’s like, no, that really doesn’t solve any of our problems."

"Democratic Socialists are, by definition, not your average Democrats. I was shocked at how, in nearly a dozen conversations with DSA-aligned young voters, there was near-uniformity in refusing to back anyone except Sanders as the nominee."

" “I held my nose for Hillary in 2016,” Kristin Porter told me at Rehab Tavern. “I’m never holding my nose again.” "

"young leftists convinced they don’t need to compromise—not with themselves, not with the Democratic establishment, and sure as hell not with the Republican Party. Having come of age in the post-9/11 era, with wars and school shootings and economic hardships the norm, these voters aren’t going to settle for a promised return to normal, because in their eyes, normal was never all that great."

“We’ve been building this movement to exist outside of electoral politics. This campaign is one fight for us, but the bigger battles for social change will go on regardless of what happens with Bernie,”

"we need to build local organizations that have a longer-lasting impact than electing one president. To me, these housing ordinance fights in Columbus are just as important as Medicare for All, because it’s an issue we see affecting peoples’ lives here every single day."

"When she and her peers do engage politically, Howell said, it’s from the bottom up. This is so counterintuitive as to seem insane"

" “To see Bernie winning, it’s nice,” she shrugged. “But it’s not the only thing we’re focused on.” "

"Bernie is just one guy—a guy we’d like to be president, but just a guy all the same"

" We fix broken headlights and taillights for free. We fill food pantries. We try to make more just and more cohesive communities. Bernie was the flint on the stone to spark this fire, but it’s these relationships we’re building, the work we’re doing in these communities, that will endure."

" there’s a recognition that we need to prepare for life after Bernie ... I’ll be just as excited to work on behalf of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez when she runs for president."

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2020/03/06/life-after-bernie-young-left-121534

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: April 20, 2020, 12:25:57 AM »
Ferguson eta al: Glass-Steagall, Dodd-Frank gutted by corporate democrats

"For every $100,000 that Democratic representatives received from finance, the odds they would break with their party’s majority support for the Dodd-Frank legislation increased by 13.9 percent. Democratic representatives who voted in favor of finance often received $200,000–$300,000 from that sector, which raised the odds of switching by 25–40 percent."

"America now appears to have embarked on a parody of the Gilded Age."

https://www.ineteconomics.org/uploads/papers/WP_109-Ferg-et-al-final.pdf

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: April 20, 2020, 03:03:21 AM »
^^
The best government that money can buy!!
Terry

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: June 26, 2020, 06:31:39 AM »
Bring the troops home ? No way!

"bipartisan backlash from lawmakers who argued the troops are needed not only to fight terrorism, but also to serve as a buttress against Russian and Chinese efforts "

"planned Germany withdrawal has also sparked a bipartisan backlash from lawmakers who say a drawdown would undermine U.S. alliances, be a gift to Russia "

" continue a prohibition on funds to withdraw U.S. troops from South Korea absent a certification from the Defense secretary, which lawmakers fear Trump will also do."

https://thehill.com/policy/defense/504629-house-defense-bill-targets-potential-troop-drawdowns-in-africa-south-korea

With Democrats like Smith, who needs Republicans ?

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: June 28, 2020, 03:31:30 AM »
Pelosi blocks WTO exit: “Total swamp move”

"Pelosi got Rules Chairman Jim McGovern [Republican] from Massachusetts to put a line in to prohibit a vote on WTO membership."

"Before every vote in the House, a rule is passed for how bills will be voted on. In that rule, Pelosi slipped in the line saying WTO could not be brought up. "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2020/06/25/nancy-pelosi-just-protected-the-wto-from-trump-other-democrats/#36f60a015684

With Democrats like these, almost dont need Republicans ?

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: July 03, 2020, 07:51:50 AM »
War without End: greenwald at the intercept

"The U.S. military has been fighting in Afghanistan for almost nineteen years. House Democrats, working in tandem with key pro-war GOP lawmakers such as Rep. Liz Cheney, are ensuring that continues."

"sponsored by Democratic Congressman Jason Crow of Colorado and Congresswoman Cheney of Wyoming"

"Trump’s plan “would reduce the number of troops from 8,600 to 4,500 "

" also imposed restrictions on Trump’s plan to withdraw troops from Germany. "

"the leading Democrat who joined Cheney to oppose troop withdrawal from Germany, Congressman Ruben Gallego of Arizona"

"Democratic Rep. Ro Khanna, the former co-chair of the Sanders campaign, and GOP Rep. Matt Gaetz, traded mutual support and vows to work together to defeat the Crow/Cheney amendment"

"Democrats are increasingly merging with and being led by the Bush-era neocons and other Bush/Cheney operatives  ... Biden is clearly trying to run to Trump’s right on foreign policy "

" Democrats are finding common cause with Liz Cheney and other GOP warmongers to block any efforts to reduce even moderately the footprint of the U.S. military in the world or its decades-long posture of endless war."

https://theintercept.com/2020/07/02/house-democrats-working-with-liz-cheney-restrict-trumps-planned-withdrawal-of-troops-from-afghanistan-and-germany

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: August 21, 2020, 01:03:04 AM »
Kishore at wsws: Democrats embrace war without end

"A Biden/Harris administration, the Democrats emphasized, would be prepared to wage war."

"Kerry was followed with a video segment featuring Republican Chuck Hagel, along with career diplomats under both Republicans and Democrats, including Brett McGurk (the longest-serving civilian adviser overseeing the war in Iraq and Syria, going back to the Bush administration); Marie Yovanovitch (US ambassador to Ukraine under Trump and witness in last year’s impeachment trial); Jack Weinstein (US Air Force general and high-ranking nuclear weapons officer); and Rose Gottemoeller (former deputy secretary general of NATO until 2019)."

"Democrats aired the ad on the “unlikely friendship” with McCain, one of the most ferocious warmongers in the US Senate, who consistently advocated for aggression against Iran, Russia and China, before his death in 2018"

" the conflict within the state is a conflict within the ruling class, centered on issues of foreign policy. Over the past nearly four years, the Democrats have worked to suppress all popular opposition to the Trump administration and direct it behind the reactionary campaign for a more aggressive foreign policy in the Middle East and against Russia."

"he contest between Trump and the Democrats is a contest between two reactionary factions of the ruling class."

https://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2020/08/19/pers-a19.html

sidd

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: November 08, 2020, 04:15:06 PM »
Biden is the archetypal Mr. Consensus, Mr. Compromise.

Already the Democrat establishment is lining up behind the conventional wisdom that victory came from muffling radicalism and holding the centre-left to republican-lite ground.

But... (I'm with the radicals - too late for all this "let's just get along" stuff)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/08/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-ends-truce-by-warning-incompetent-democratic-party
Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez ends truce by warning ‘incompetent’ Democratic party
New York representative denies Movement for Black Lives and Green New Deal cost seats

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has criticised the Democratic party for incompetence in a no-holds-barred, post-election interview with the New York Times, warning that if the Biden administration does not put progressives in top positions, the party would lose big in the 2022 midterm elections.

Signaling that the internal moratorium in place while the Democrats worked to defeat Donald Trump was over, the leftwing New York representative sharply rejected the notion advanced by some Democrats that progressive messaging around the Movement for Black Lives and the Green New Deal led to the party’s loss of congressional seats in last week’s election.

The real problem, said Ocasio-Cortez, was that the party lacked “core competencies” to run campaigns. “There’s a reason Barack Obama built an entire national campaign apparatus outside of the Democratic National Committee,” she told the Times’ Astead Herndon. “And there’s a reason that when he didn’t activate or continue that, we lost House majorities. Because the party – in and of itself – does not have the core competencies, and no amount of money is going to fix that.”

Ocasio-Cortez, who defeated a longtime Democratic politician in 2018 and who won re-election in her Bronx district by more than 50 points, endorsed the Vermont senator, Bernie Sanders, over Joe Biden in the Democratic presidential primary.

The truce is over. The failure of the party to operate an online strategy “in a real way that exhibits competence”, Ocasio-Cortez told the Times, made it hypocritical for the party to advance criticism of progressive messaging. “If I lost my election, and I went out and I said: ‘This is moderates’ fault. This is because you didn’t let us have a floor vote on Medicare for all.’ And they opened the hood on my campaign, and they found that I only spent $5,000 on TV ads the week before the election?” Ocasio-Cortez said. “They would laugh. And that’s what they look like right now trying to blame the Movement for Black Lives for their loss.”

Grassroots activism that produced large turnout in Detroit, Philadelphia and Georgia was crucial to Biden’s win, and if the Democratic party fails to recognise that and incorporate the grassroots, the party disintegrates at the ballot box, Ocasio-Cortez said.

“It’s really hard for us to turn out nonvoters when they feel like nothing changes for them. When they feel like people don’t see them, or even acknowledge their turnout,” Ocasio-Cortez said.

“If the party believes after 94% of Detroit went to Biden, after Black organisers just doubled and tripled turnout down in Georgia, after so many people organised Philadelphia, the signal from the Democratic party is the John Kasich won us this election? I mean, I can’t even describe how dangerous that is.”

Kasich is a former Republican governor of Ohio who campaigned for Biden, endorsing him as a centrist that moderate Republicans could get behind. Such an appeal might have had traction in some places, such as northern Michigan and western Omaha. But Trump beat Biden in Ohio by eight points and half-a-million votes.

The Ocasio-Cortez interview is full of frank impressions freely shared. Asked what her “macro takeaway” was from the election, she said: “Well, I think the central one is that we aren’t in a freefall to hell anymore.” Asked whether there was anything about the election that surprised her, she said: “The share of white support for Trump. I thought the polling was off, but just seeing it, there was that feeling of realising what work we have to do.”

The coming period of presidential transition and the Biden administration’s early days will be crucial to determining whether the Democratic party will incorporate in a permanent way its grassroots progressive engine – or veer off down a path toward defeat, Ocasio-Cortez said.

“So I need my colleagues to understand that we are not the enemy,” she said. “And that their base is not the enemy. That the Movement for Black Lives is not the enemy, that Medicare for all is not the enemy. This isn’t even just about winning an argument. It’s that if they keep going after the wrong thing, I mean, they’re just setting up their own obsolescence.”

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #2033 on: November 08, 2020, 04:34:25 PM »
Ocasio-Cortez, who defeated a longtime Democratic politician in 2018 and who won re-election in her Bronx district by more than 50 points,
Just checking, this means percent, right? Like 75% to 25%?
Wow. That's a real landslide, if so.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 149
  • Likes Given: 485
« Reply #2034 on: November 08, 2020, 04:55:01 PM »
Ocasio-Cortez, who defeated a longtime Democratic politician in 2018 and who won re-election in her Bronx district by more than 50 points,
Just checking, this means percent, right? Like 75% to 25%?
Wow. That's a real landslide, if so.

Not really.  She won by 38% in a district that is 50% Hispanic.  That is low compared to past elections:
2018:  65%
2016:  59%
2014:  64%
2012:  68%

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #2035 on: November 08, 2020, 06:03:03 PM »
If it was 38% then what does the "more than 50 points" mean?

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #2036 on: November 08, 2020, 09:10:43 PM »
From The Washington Post

‘Our industry knows Joe Biden really well’:

Defense contractors unconcerned as Biden clinches victory
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #2037 on: November 09, 2020, 04:07:35 AM »
AOC won by 69% to 31% (though not all votes counted yet). The 50 points claim appears to be wrong.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #2038 on: November 09, 2020, 01:03:53 PM »
Could the early votes have been disproportionally in her favor? Or was that disinformation?

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 149
  • Likes Given: 485
« Reply #2039 on: November 09, 2020, 01:35:00 PM »
Nationally, Biden outperformed the Democratic party in general.  At least according to an analysis by the NY Times.  Biden performed 2.4% better than the average Democratic House candidate.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/09/briefing/alex-trebek-jeopardy-biden-europe.html

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: November 11, 2020, 10:34:14 PM »
Biden agency review teams: same as the old bosses

https://twitter.com/kgosztola/status/1326387797347930114

"defended backdoor searches ... crafted expansion of FISA ... CIA head of station in Afghanistan ... CIA's highest-ranking Latina ... defending Clapper ... "

sidd

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #2041 on: November 13, 2020, 01:34:08 PM »
Is Biden a Corporate Democrat?

The Big Role That Big Donors Still Play, Quietly, for Joe Biden
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/20/us/politics/joe-biden-donors.html
The Biden campaign has trumpeted its success with small donations, but in the last six months it has raised almost $200 million from donors who gave at least $100,000. As sums have grown, transparency has diminished.

Wall Street spent over $74 million to back Joe Biden’s run for president, topping Trump’s haul
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/28/wall-street-spends-74-million-to-support-joe-biden.html
People employed in the securities and investment industry will finish the 2020 election cycle contributing a notch above $74 million toward Biden’s candidacy, according to new data from the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics
The sum includes millions given during the first two weeks of October to Biden’s joint fundraising committees and outside super PACs backing his run.
Biden’s haul from Wall Street easily tops what Donald Trump and Barack Obama raked in, but falls short of what Hillary Clinton raised in 2016.

Wall Street donors line up behind Biden in massive third-quarter fundraising haul
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/16/wall-street-donors-line-up-behind-biden-in-massive-third-quarter-fundraising-haul.html
Joe Biden’s joint fundraising committees benefited from a wave of big money contributions from finance leaders on Wall Street and across the country during the third quarter.
Biden’s fundraising strength has grown as the election gets closer. The Democratic nominee raised $383 million in September.
People in the financial industry have largely favored Biden, spending more than $50 million to back his candidacy, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics, compared with more than $10 million for Trump.

One Third of Biden's Pentagon Transition Team Hails From Organizations Financed by the Weapons Industry
https://inthesetimes.com/article/joe-biden-department-of-defense-pentagon-transition-team-weapons-industry-military
The president-elect is drawing from hawkish think tanks funded by arms companies.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: November 13, 2020, 07:03:14 PM »
Re: Is Biden a Corporate Democrat?

Senator from MBNA ...

sidd

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: November 13, 2020, 10:13:08 PM »
Re: Is Biden a Corporate Democrat?

Senator from MBNA ...

sidd
& Wikipedia lists a fair assortment of really shoddy business practices by the Maryland Bank of North America.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: November 14, 2020, 07:35:35 AM »
Not just MBNA. Here is Biden's hand in bankruptcy culminating in BAPCPA 2005:

"BAPCPA made it harder for consumers to file for Chapter 7 by imposing a “means test” for Chapter 7 eligibility, and by substantially increasing the cost of filing "

"made it harder to wipe out credit card debt and student loans in bankruptcy. The result was greater profits for consumer lending businesses, many of which are based in Biden’s state of Delaware"

" bill unleashed a glut of aggressive private student lending"

"Not only did Biden vote for the legislation four times between 1998 and 2005, but he was so singularly committed to its success that he inserted it into a foreign-relations bill in 2000, and later was the sole Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee to vote for the bill."

"He voted against three amendments to ease bankruptcy requirements for consumers whose financial troubles stem from medical expenses. He voted against an amendment that would have helped seniors keep their homes. He voted against exempting servicemembers and widows of servicemembers killed in action from the law’s eligibility restrictions. He voted against an amendment to exempt women whose financial troubles stemmed from deadbeat husbands’ failure to pay child support or alimony. And Biden even voted against an amendment that would have ensured that children of debtors could still be given birthday and Christmas presents. Biden also voted against allowing debtors to pay their union dues during bankruptcy"

"He voted to enshrine a “millionaire’s loophole” that allows wealthy, well-counseled debtors to shield their assets from creditors by placing them in asset-protection trusts. Nor did he act to cut off the loophole that shields assets placed by wealthy families in “dynasty trusts,” such as are offered by Delaware."

"Biden claims that he worked to ensure that the legislation protected the interests of women and children by making the repayment of alimony and child support obligations the top priority in bankruptcy. This is false ... Women and children still stand behind administrative expenses in bankruptcy. The claim that BAPCPA helped women and children is simply dishonest."

"Joe Biden looked out for millionaires and the banks"

https://prospect.org/politics/bidens-votes-on-the-bankruptcy-bill-middle-class-joe/

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: November 14, 2020, 07:40:12 AM »
Here are Fed economists on the impact of BAPCPA on the the 2008 meltdown:

https://www.newyorkfed.org/medialibrary/media/research/epr/12v18n1/1203morg.pdf

Thats in 2012 but oddly enuf it doesnt include a reference to Guo(2010) doi:  10.3905/jsf.2010.16.1.033

who saw similar two years before at CUNY. Greed goeth before a fall.

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #2046 on: January 05, 2021, 09:12:52 PM »
Things keep getting worse on this front. I feel so sorry for people who invested all their hope in the 'Squad'. I remember once saying when AOC got elected, that hundreds of AOCs are needed, because if there are just a couple, they get corrupted before you know it. It's absolutely shameful how they didn't force the vote on Med4All.

The enemy is within

E. Smith

Sciguy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 237
  • Likes Given: 188
« Reply #2047 on: January 06, 2021, 08:04:46 AM »
While very centerist by European standards, Biden’s cabinet is shaping up to be the most progressive in American history:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/politics/biden-cabinet/?itid=sf_politics-white-house_subnav

Many of the nominated Cabinet Secretaries that control policies related to fighting climate change (Energy, Interior, Agriculture, Transportation) are vocal proponents of advancing policies that will reduce greenhouse gas emissions and sequester carbon.  Biden’s proposed policies clearly have fighting climate change as a central theme, and with the results in the Georgia Senate elections tonight, thing look very favorable in the US Congress now.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: January 16, 2021, 08:57:58 AM »
Hedges on Dore:

"We should have walked out on the Democratic party in 1994 after NAFTA and stood by the working class. And we didn't. And they know it."

"the bank is boarded up ... church caught on fire and burned ... just charred embers ... methamphetamine labs ... that's what we've done, that's what the democratic party has done, and the self identified liberal class has done and that's why they hate us and frankly we deserve to be hated"

"i come out of that prison and at least half my students, probably more, wouldn't be there if it wasn't for Clinton and Biden"

"All of the movements, the abolitionists, the suffragists, the civil rights movement, the labor movement ... that's what opened the democratic space ... they're never going to be built within the confines of the democratic party"

"a proto-fascist right-wing backlash that's my fear, but you know those people are victims too they may speak in racist tropes and all sorts of language and that i don't that i have spent my life fighting against. But their pain is real, their suffering is real, their betrayal is real, the the meaninglessness that has gripped their lives is real, their loss of hope is real. They watched, they've suffered, they've watched their families suffer, they watch their child, that is real. Now it may be expressed in very negative pathologies, i mean it is, but unless we address that suffering, unless we reintegrate these people into society, unless we re-knit the social bonds to give them a place, give them a sense of dignity, give them meaning, give them a sense of purpose we're finished  "

"they can't stop insulting these people fast enough and the democratic party is the same and that essentially precludes any possibility of rebuilding a healthy society."

"it's like they think if they can just cancel them off enough social media apps that somehow they'll all go away "

"the inability on their part to accept their own complicity for that suffering, there's no contrition, there's no self-reflection, there's no self-criticism, and of course there's no remorse "

sidd

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #2049 on: January 16, 2021, 03:37:48 PM »
Hey, but AOC and the Squad are celebrities now, so it feels really great to identify with them!
The enemy is within

E. Smith