Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Floods  (Read 40550 times)

Shared Humanity

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 16
Re: Floods
« Reply #300 on: April 12, 2019, 10:45:46 PM »
Trump must secretly be a democrat, because he truly is a jackass.

This had better be a joke because it is truly laughable. Trump is the logical end point of the Republican Party's 5 decade long courting of racist, misogynistic, xenophobic, Christian Dominionist homophobes. The Republican Party has finally become what it has courted. Trump is the very personification of the Republican Party base.

Shared Humanity

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 131
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #301 on: April 12, 2019, 10:47:50 PM »
I wish people could look more clearly and see what's there. Trump is not a King Louis the XIV of France. He's just a front man who by himself makes next to no difference at all. aka Obama and all the rest. It's the people and powers behind the "throne" that really are the movers and shakers. And they are always in power no matter what.

So focusing on Trump, blathering on that he's an idiot, a jackass, or whatever is a waste of breath.

This is absolute bullshit. To suggest there is no difference between Obama and Trump is trolling at its worst.

interstitial

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #302 on: April 13, 2019, 12:53:27 AM »
Trump must secretly be a democrat, because he truly is a jackass.

This had better be a joke because it is truly laughable. Trump is the logical end point of the Republican Party's 5 decade long courting of racist, misogynistic, xenophobic, Christian Dominionist homophobes. The Republican Party has finally become what it has courted. Trump is the very personification of the Republican Party base.

Christ didn't teach or demonstrate racist, misogynistic, xenophobic or homophobic values. I understand the confusion because unfortunately many claiming to be Christian have taught hate. To further confuse the issue much but not all of the old testiment is a history and includes the actions of some of Gods early followers. At times those followers did the right thing at others they did the wrong thing. Christ taught and demonstrated love for all and that is what I believe true Christians aspire to.

Sleepy

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #303 on: April 13, 2019, 05:54:10 AM »
In the midst of plentiful treads full of fruitless arguing (except those recently deleted) I popped into this (usually benign one) to find some comfort. Going for a run...
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

gerontocrat

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #304 on: April 13, 2019, 12:13:54 PM »
Mid-west floods.... and one of the consequences is
High Gas Prices Made Worse By Midwest Floods
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenrwald/2019/04/11/high-gas-prices-made-worse-by-midwest-floods/#51d782c3700f

All about ethanol. The writer at th end questions the policy of using 40% of the US corn crop for ethanol "when the future supply of corn is always unknown".
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Klondike Kat

• ASIF Citizen
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #305 on: April 13, 2019, 01:55:49 PM »
https://www.forbes.com/sites/ellenrwald/2019/04/11/high-gas-prices-made-worse-by-midwest-floods/#51d782c3700f

All about ethanol. The writer at th end questions the policy of using 40% of the US corn crop for ethanol "when the future supply of corn is always unknown".

Government subsidies and mandates have fueled the continued use of corn for biofuel.

Rodius

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #306 on: April 13, 2019, 02:40:41 PM »

What a tragic waste of food.

Sleepy

• ASIF Upper Class
  • Retired, again...
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #307 on: April 13, 2019, 02:51:31 PM »
Thanks for the on-topic effort gc.
Omnia mirari, etiam tritissima.
-
Science is a jealous mistress and takes little account of a man's feelings.

Tom_Mazanec

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #308 on: April 15, 2019, 09:20:42 PM »
Here is Paul Beckwith's take on the floods:
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

Tom_Mazanec

• ASIF Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #309 on: April 15, 2019, 10:06:09 PM »
Michael Snyder has been writing about the collapse of the American society for years.  This is just his latest scare.  FYI, if our crops were indeed in such a dire situation, it would be reflected on their prices in the futures market.  Yet, their prices have barely budged.

Where can I check these futures, as I suspect this will be the first place to indicate if/when AGW is reaching disaster level?
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

gerontocrat

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #310 on: April 15, 2019, 10:53:09 PM »
Michael Snyder has been writing about the collapse of the American society for years.  This is just his latest scare.  FYI, if our crops were indeed in such a dire situation, it would be reflected on their prices in the futures market.  Yet, their prices have barely budged.

Where can I check these futures, as I suspect this will be the first place to indicate if/when AGW is reaching disaster level?
You can go to Bloomberg.com and click on commodities. Or you can go directly to the Chicago Stock market and get all sorts of data. Or just google "corn futures" and you will be awash with data.

Only one problem. Back in 2008 the stock markets were roaring up and then they fell apart. The Stock market is only a short-term indicator. The market will take account of seasonal climate outlooks as just one parameter when betting on prices for the current season's crop. It will ignore longer-term risks for future seasons as unknown knowns- e.g. over-use of the US Ogallala aquifer, collapse of the Murray-Darling Water Basin.

When the stock market through prices says there is a crisis it may be real or may be manufactured (e.g. suppliers hoarding supplies to manipulate prices). It may be permanent or it may be temporary. Klondike Kat's faith in the markets is not matched by mine.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Archimid

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #311 on: April 15, 2019, 10:59:31 PM »

Futures are a good indicator of short term problems only. They will indeed show when disaster is reached but by then it will be too late to do anything about it.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.