Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Russia, Russia, Russia  (Read 311401 times)

Martin Gisser

Re: Russia, Russia, Russia
« Reply #4950 on: February 15, 2019, 02:51:35 PM »
Bellingcat will tell next week how they found that Fedotov's real name is Denis Sergeev. Meanwhile Russia has started to erase the internet traces that led to the discovery.
More about "Fedotov":
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/10/revealed-name-third-russian-agent-sent-gru-target-sergei-skripal/
[...]
The Telegraph had previously reported the existence of a third member of the Russian intelligence hit squad and a trawl of flight records by the Fontanka news agency matched it to Fedotov.
[...]
Fedotov’s passport number differs by only a few digits. It is of the same ‘64 series’ linked to not only Chepiga and Mishkin but also to other suspected agents such as Col Eduard Shishmakov, who is accused of the failed plot to assassinate the prime minister of Montenegro before its referendum to join Nato.

According to Fontaka, Fedotov previously travelled to the UK in March 2016 and March 2017 and again this year. It said he also flew to the Czech Republic with Mishkin in January and February 2014 ahead of an apparent operation to monitor the movements of Col Skripal, who at the time was said to be briefing Czech secret services.

It raises the prospect that Col Skripal, who had been living in the UK since a spy swap in 2010, had been a GRU target for at least four years. Chepiga and Mishkin returned to the Czech Republic in October 2014, the same month that Skripal travelled to the country to advise local intelligence officers on Russian espionage activities.

Looks like a huge conspiracy of anti-Russian media :) :)

sidd

• ASIF Governor
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4951 on: February 16, 2019, 12:07:19 AM »
Even for the moonie paper, this is pretty low: Sandernistas are Russians

“I consider it extremely suspicious,”

“We do believe many of them are coming from foreign entities, particularly Russia or the Middle East.”

" “For hundreds of years we hunted witches,” he said. “Now it’s the Russians. "

"one of the largest subreddits supporting Bernie Sanders has unexplained strange activity"

“Of course, they know,” Mr. Russell said. “His campaign should definitely be aware of these things, and we know that nefarious things might be happening.”

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/feb/14/prominent-pro-sanders-subreddit-wayofthebern-aims-/

sidd

Martin Gisser

« Reply #4952 on: February 16, 2019, 02:58:58 AM »
Sandernistas are Russians
What logic is this? Denial shooting its own foot? Some Russian trolls trolling for Bernie does not imply all Berners are Russian subverted.

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
« Reply #4953 on: February 16, 2019, 07:52:37 AM »
BBC producer says hospital scenes after 2018 Douma ‘chemical attack’ were staged

https://www.rt.com/news/451538-bbc-douma-chemical-staged/

Tell me it isn't so! :)

Was their Life before Bellingcat?

Dubai Hamas assassination: how it was planned
Dressed in tennis gear and carrying racquets and balls, the guests who wandered through the lobby of Dubai’s al-Bustan Rotana hotel on Jan 19 couldn’t have looked less threatening. 

But within hours they and nine accomplices had carried out the ruthlessly efficient assassination of the Hamas military Commander Mahmoud al-Mabhouh, who had just a few seconds’ warning of his fate as the killers overpowered him in his room.

The murder bears the hallmarks of a meticulously-planned operation by the Israeli intelligence service Mossad, though Israel has so far refused to say whether it was involved.

What is beyond doubt, however, is that the alleged hit team, travelling on forged British, Irish, German and French passports, (and Australian/New Zealand passports - belonging to REAL people but STOLEN ie COPIED by Israeli Intel at airports weeks beforehand) spent no more than 19 hours in the Gulf state, killing Mr Mabhouh just five hours after he had flown in from Syria.

After trawling through dozens of hours of CCTV footage, investigators have been able to piece together a minute-by-minute reconstruction of how the hit unfolded.... in less than 2 days!!!
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/dubai/7251960/Dubai-Hamas-assassination-how-it-was-planned.html

http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/an-eye-for-an-eye-the-anatomy-of-mossad-s-dubai-operation-a-739908.html

Perspective? Real Facts? Real life fully trained accountable law enforcement and intelligence bodies doing the investigations?
"You assist an unjust administration most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. [...] A good person will resist an evil system with his whole soul. Disobedience of the laws of an evil state is therefore a duty."
Mahatma Gandhi - Non-Violent Resistance

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: February 17, 2019, 03:57:27 AM »
Russia Today reports on Europe security news by quoting the Russian FM and European Officials

West ‘starts listening to Russia’: Lavrov says Europeans want better relations after Munich talks
Published time: 16 Feb, 2019 21:28
https://www.rt.com/news/451644-lavrov-europe-better-relations-russia/

People can compare this with what they hear from Fox, the NYTs and MSNBC reports.

They can also go directly to Political leaders/Officials on their state govt websites and see what they said in full. Even Lavrov and Putin you can hear what they say and think first hand ... no intermediary.

Or play "the telephone game" :)

Basically RT tells one what's in  "the news" from their particular perspective/interest. Gosh just like every other media outlet and alt youtube channel does.

Then YOU decide what you wish to believe and who YOU wish to trust and what other sources YOU wish to check.

Sites RT, al Jazeera and others internationally are great because they present events, issues and verbatim QUOTES you will never get to see or hear on the MSM media and newspapers.

RT is good too because it is so EASY AND QUICK to skim RT doesn't get  bogged down in verbose BULLSHITTING .. basically it is an internet "news compiler" 90% of their info and "opinion" pieces are sourced from outside sources like AAP, Reuters, The Guardian and more.... but anything that relates to Russia, global security news, and the MIC etc versus say Argentina who have their own news outlets like RT focusing on their special "interests and perspectives"  and CULTURE!

rofl

For all the complaints I have never seen anyone point out errors in their reporting of facts.

Who else on this earth managed to get a live interview with the two accused of poisoning the skirpals? RT did.

I don't know about you but every time Osama Bin Laden said something on video or in text I made sure I heard what he said verbatim. I have no reason to believe my mind is going to be permanently poisoned .. I even listened to Donald Trump in the campaign too. OMG have I lost my mind? ??? 

Ruptly is first class covering live events like the yellow vests protests and catastrophes without all the hyperactive talking heads on cable news panels saying Look at me look at me .... :)

RT also has a knack of pointing out the hypocrisy from republicans and democrats and think tanks and biased incompetent media sources and the 24/7 distorted Fake News coming out of the USA, the UK and elsewhere.

Gosh I even went to the MoD to see what the Russians were doing and saying about events in Syria. My god, I even paid attention to what the Pentagon were saying too. Far out .. what a radical approach that is. Having confidence in my own abilities and values not to be a TOTAL SUCKER~!

I check Bellingcat and already knew about the latest GRU hysterics before they were posted here.  I like to hear what Chris Hayes has to say on his RT show too. He's brilliant which is why he no longer works at the NYTs

I even listen to what NEVEN might say and the info he posts!

I guess there is no hope for me now!!! I may have succumbed to the worst manipulative evil in the world. I should go top myself now.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 04:19:23 AM by Lurk »
"You assist an unjust administration most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees. [...] A good person will resist an evil system with his whole soul. Disobedience of the laws of an evil state is therefore a duty."

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: February 17, 2019, 04:24:59 AM »
If Huawei execs are Guilty then this dude must be Innocent of course, yes?

Moscow court orders US investor of Baring Vostok to be held in custody over $37mn fraud allegations 

Several other suspects, including partners of the Baring Vostok fund, namely Philippe Delpal, Vagan Abgaryan and Ivan Zyuzin – were ordered to remain in pretrial custody earlier on Friday. All individuals are suspected of taking part in a fraud, which involved Russia's Vostochny Bank.

The investigators believe that Calvey embezzled 2.5 billion rubles ($37.5 million) from Vostochny Bank via a fraudulent scheme. The investor and his associates have allegedly persuaded the bank's board to accept a package of shares of an enterprise instead of paying off a debt. While the shares were said to be worth over 3 billion rubles (some $45 million), their real cost was merely 600,000 rubles ($9,000).
https://www.rt.com/business/451634-us-investor-baring-fund-arrested/

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: February 17, 2019, 11:02:26 AM »
Maybe Jimmy Dore should run for US President in 2020 .. he may just win.

No joke! Ukraine’s presidential choice: an oligarch, a gas princess or a comedian

For Ukrainians able to vote in next month’s presidential election, the choice is now pretty clear. There are three options: the incumbent oligarch anti-Russia hardliner, the femme fatale of Kiev’s political scene, or a comedian best known for playing a fictional president in a popular TV drama.

While his candidacy originally inspired much bemusement, nobody’s laughing now at Zelensky. Because the entertainer has surged into a nine-point polling lead with just six weeks left before the big day.

New Ukrainian KIIS presidential poll shows comic Volodymyr Zelenskiy growing his lead to 26.9%, with President Poroshenko behind him at 17.7% and Tymoshenko retaining third position at 15.8% after leading for months and slipping in recent weeks. https://t.co/7DE0rTZ8Wv
    — Christopher Miller (@ChristopherJM) February 14, 2019

Right now, here’s the state of play: Zelensky 26.9 percent, Poroshenko 17.7 percent, and Yulia Tymoshenko 15.8 percent.

Asked why they favor the newcomer, 54 percent of his backers cite his status as a fresh face, who’s up against a number of figures who’ve been on the political scene for donkey’s years.

Ukraine’s political and financial elites are tightly knit. For instance, a decade ago, Poroshenko served as foreign minister in Tymoshenko’s cabinet. And, in 2011, when, subsequently ousted, President Viktor Yanukovich locked up Tymoshenko on dubious charges, Poroshenko was acting as his trade minister.

Kiev’s political merry-go-round might be cynical, but it’s rarely boring. And this is the reality of politics in the former USSR: the more competitive the contest, the more unstable the state.

https://www.rt.com/op-ed/451556-ukraine-elections-poroshenko-2019/

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: February 18, 2019, 06:10:27 AM »
Russia Today reports on Europe security news by quoting the Russian FM and European Officials

West ‘starts listening to Russia’: Lavrov says Europeans want better relations after Munich talks
Published time: 16 Feb, 2019 21:28
https://www.rt.com/news/451644-lavrov-europe-better-relations-russia/

People can compare this with what they hear from Fox, the NYTs and MSNBC reports.

They can also go directly to Political leaders/Officials on their state govt websites and see what they said in full. Even Lavrov and Putin you can hear what they say and think first hand ... no intermediary.

Or play "the telephone game" :)

Basically RT tells one what's in  "the news" from their particular perspective/interest. Gosh just like every other media outlet and alt youtube channel does.

[snipped]

OK so that was the tongue in cheek flippant hand-waving mirroring response to Martin's latest missive on Forum Decorum. I have ignored his and rob ongoing bs hand-waving gaslighting adhom insults and the illogical commentary that comes most of the time over RT (Chris Hayes, George Galloway, and Jimmy Dore and others on RT etc). So here is the sanguine rational response about Russia Today.

It is no secret who funds RT. Even Bellingcat could find that out via open sources! (ouch) The same as it is no secret who funds the BBC, France 24, DW, Fox News, NPR, the NYTs, WaPo, CNN and NBC etc. for example that GE owned MSNBC and that GE's biggest customer at the time of the Iraq War warmongering in the US Press was the US Pentagon.

But how many knew that Christopher Steele's Dossier was funded by the Clinton Campaign/DNC/PACs when it was being used as the CORE evidence in a FISA Court in 2016 several times? No one! Not even the JUDGE knew. ;)

What is less known is who funds groups like Integrity Initiate, Cambridge Analytica, and Christopher Steels of this world when they are pushing their "opinions" to the world.

Google now tells us that "Russian identities" spent $7,000 on pro-Trump advertising in 2016. What wasn't known then was Adelson's $500, million plus spent on Pro-Trump campaigning, nor how much came from the Saudis and the Israel Lobby. Until recently no one knew who was behind The Canary either. You don't hear anything about these matters on WaPo MSNBC or the NYTs or the London Times but oddly enough you do here about such issues via RT. Info that is typically not based on "unnamed sources" claimed to be from Govt Intelligence agencies and their shills but info that is able to be confirmed by hard evidence and data analysis.

The way I use RT is similar to how other people use the compiling of Google News. RT has a particular bent/focus and 99% of the time they are first to pass on new news from other sources.

I then use this Flagging of current events to go check other sources. I find it saves me a lot of wasted time not needing to keep a check on hundreds of others sources. Jimmy Dore's show does the same thing for me.

If people who come across RT news reports and opinion pieces and the cable TV shows do not already know RT has a particular interest and angle then they must be living under a rock or something. NYTs is clearly "owned" by US Govt Intelligence domains, Corporate think tanks and US Politicians - by "owned" I mean in the service of such groups , their ideologies, attitudes, politics, values and beliefs. The same goes for Fox, CNN, NBC et al. RT is no different - but they are NOT anything like Integrity Initiate nor the Atlantic Council or ex-US Intel services / Govt Officials.

So personally find RT really convenient as an original source for information that would take me hours (or days or never) to find elsewhere.

The added bonus of providing news quotes and urls from RT is that it pushes a few peoples emotional buttons here, and that is always fun to observe.  :)

Over several months now I have never seen anyone show me any story / news report from RT I have linked to was false, fake, distorted, incorrect, in error, wrong or made up.

Of course anyone can argue the point about anyone's "opinion piece" or news org "editorial" from any media source from anywhere in the world. The point being everyone already knows who funds RT, how it is operated, who is in charge, who the editors are, who the journos are, who the opinion peices are written by (and their background) and what Russia Today's it's raison d'etre is.

Unlike many other "news sources" and Facebook/Twitter/'Youtube accounts where many you do not have a clue who or what is behind them and what their angle is or who is funding their existence and feeding the "information" or WHY.

But if people get their rocks off by using RT as another means to gaslight others, rave with adhom insults across the board for referencing an RT or Jimmy Dore report, then hey, Knock Yourself Out! :)

Final Hint: Russia Today was reporting on the latest GRU/Skripal announcement by Bellingcat before ANY OTHER NEWS SERVICE WAS .... most MSM in the west still have not bothered to mention it. Rob was 3 days late when it posted that new info here. ;)

Go Figure!

(huge smile)

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: February 18, 2019, 06:17:18 AM »
Jimmy conveniently has a new video very much to the point of RT versus the rest

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: February 18, 2019, 06:25:37 AM »
RE: Jimmy conveniently has a new video very much to the point of RT versus the rest.

So if one was to take the last sentence below at face value it would mean that every American MSM Newspaper and Cable News channel (Fox, MSNBC, CNN) and every TV channel (NBC Fox CBS) would be Banned on Facebook today. :)

Not to mention the Atlantic Council, Integrity Initiative, and a suite of other Think Tanks and NFP Orgs like AIPAC, The Canary, and The National Endowment for Democracy (NED) etc etc etc.

Not forgetting the fake news false reports coming out of The Guardian for years. It like the rest above all have their Blue Ticks
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 06:41:25 AM by Lurk »

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: February 18, 2019, 06:54:57 AM »
“We are devastated by the news of the sudden death of our brilliant anchor, one of the best TV journalists in America, Ed Schultz," said RT

Maybe Martin et al could point me to when RT has censored, silenced or sacked any Peace-Mongering Journalist or Opinion writer providing truthful verified facts?

Which has been done by US MSM News outlets regularly for decades as everyone should know including Ed Schultz, Phil Donahue, Chris Hedges, Glen Greenwald, Jesse Ventura, Afshin Rattansi, Larry King, Rick Sanchez, Marc Lamont Hill, Ashleigh Banfield, and of course the legendary Gary Webb.

And Bill Arkin, and  Jim Clancy and .............. on and on it goes
January 03, 2019

In a biting resignation letter published in full by CNN on Wednesday, longtime NBC News reporter, commentator, and military analyst William "Bill" Arkin blasted the corporate media network for embracing U.S. "national security leaders and generals" while "ignoring the empirical truth of what they have wrought: There is not one country in the Middle East that is safer today than it was 18 years ago. Indeed the world becomes ever more polarized and dangerous."
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/01/03/veteran-nbc-commentator-rips-failures-pro-war-posture-corporate-media-scathing
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 10:17:44 AM by Lurk »

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 92
« Reply #4961 on: February 18, 2019, 08:36:09 AM »
Moscow court orders US investor of Baring Vostok to be held in custody over $37mn fraud allegations 

For those of us who know a little bit about the Magnitsky case, or who have read Bill Browder's book "Red Notice", this arrest is not a surprise, but merely a confirmation of how Russia is ruled.

Especially after Magnitsky, US investors in Russia played it safe : play by the rules and do not get involved in politics, and never, ever, criticize or challenge or question the Putin government.

Yet, Mike Calvey (and his team at Baring Vostok) get arrested any way.

In a response, Michael McFaul, former US ambassador to Russia gave some good advice :

https://twitter.com/McFaul/status/1096553539906740224

If they can arrest Calvey, they are not afraid to arrest anyone. To my  Americans friends still doing in business in Russia, it’s time to come home.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 09:27:31 AM by Rob Dekker »
This is our planet. This is our time.
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4962 on: February 18, 2019, 09:13:16 AM »
These are Russia's charges against American investment manager Michael Calvey, and here's why he says it's all baloney :

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2019/02/16/these-are-the-charges-against-american-investment-manager-michael-calvey-and-here-s-why-he-says-it-s-all-baloney

Specifically, this is of interest :

....In response, Baring Vostok filed a lawsuit in the London Court of International Arbitration. Calvey says Yusupov is trying to use false criminal allegations in Moscow to pressure Baring Vostok into withdrawing its lawsuit in London, and prevent the dilution of Avetisyan’s Vostochny Bank shares in a follow-on offering planned this April (to boost the bank’s capital reserves, in accordance with demands from Russia’s Central Bank).

So Baring Vostok DID (indirectly) challenge the Putin government, using the rule of law as an argument.

Big mistake.

That's what got Magnitsky killed.
Let's not waste either.

Neven

• Administrator
  • ASIF Royalty
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 280
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #4963 on: February 18, 2019, 09:30:49 AM »
What got Magnitsky killed, was his involvement in Browder's crony capitalist activities.
Il faut comparer, comparer, comparer, et cultiver notre jardin

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4964 on: February 18, 2019, 10:10:08 AM »
Here's what we know so far about the criminal case against one of Russia's biggest foreign investors, U.S. citizen Michael Calvey. (Venture capitalists are calling it a disaster for Russia.)

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2019/02/15/here-s-what-we-know-so-far-about-the-criminal-case-against-one-of-russia-s-biggest-foreign-investors-u-s-citizen-michael-calvey
Let's not waste either.

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4965 on: February 18, 2019, 10:22:45 AM »
McFail (not a typo) says: "To my  Americans friends still doing in business in Russia, it’s time to come home."

I agree.

All his American friends should go home. In fact wherever they are in this world, Venezuela Columbia and Brazil especially right now,  they should all pack their fucking bags, book a flight, go home and stay there forever.

Better still, how about when they get home they gather all their mega Million$ buy as many Tesla Shares as they can find pushing the share price above $500 and use the few Million they have left to book a Flight with Elon Musk to Mars, to live the rest of their abominable lives there instead.

Now that sounds like a great plan. Hopefully they will take McFail with them and create Nuvo American Nirvana in Space!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 11:25:06 AM by Lurk »

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: February 18, 2019, 11:06:11 AM »
Another true accurate factual news report by Russia Today

Facebook blocks pages with TENS OF MILLIONS of views after CNN reports their ties to RT
Published time: 18 Feb, 2019

Facebook has suspended several accounts operated by Maffick Media without prior warning, right after CNN ran a report about the company’s perceived ties to the Kremlin.

In what seems to be a new step in the social media giant’s fight against perceived 'Russian propaganda', Facebook took down, without prior notice, several pages offering video content. The social media network said it would ask the administrators of Soapbox, Back Then and Waste-Ed to disclose their “Russian affiliations.”

"People connecting with Pages shouldn't be misled about who's behind them. Just as we've stepped up our enforcement of coordinated inauthentic behavior and financially motivated spam over the past year, we'll continue improving so people can get more information about the Pages they follow," a Facebook spokesperson said in a statement.

However, no official requests were filed with Maffick Media, the German-based company operating all three pages. They were not notified before the fact, which prompted an angry response (posted on Maffick's front page at the time of writing) in which they branded Facebook policies “new McCarthyism.” All three pages remained offline on Monday.

The accounts were suspended shortly after CNN aired a report with the catchy headline “Kremlin funds viral videos aimed at millennials,” in which it listed all three pages as part of the Kremlin’s "influence campaign" targeting unsuspecting young American adults.

CNN stated that German-based Maffick Media is “mostly owned” by Ruptly video news agency – a subsidiary of RT – and is thus in the Kremlin’s back pocket.
https://www.rt.com/news/451709-soapbox-backthen-wasted-suspended-facebook/

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: February 20, 2019, 09:39:21 AM »
Investors Ask Who’s Safe in Russia After Fund Manager’s Arrest :

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-02-19/investors-wonder-who-is-safe-in-russia-after-fund-manager-arrest

Most analysts agree that Calvey has run his business by the book. What’s more, they argue that Calvey’s arrest will have a chilling effect on foreign investment in Russia.

https://www.newsweek.com/russia-arrest-american-investor-emergency-economy-putin-ally-1336410
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: February 20, 2019, 10:27:32 AM »
Oh. Oh. This is not good.
The judge in the Michael Calvey case is Artur Karpov :

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-russia-business-detention/russian-court-extends-custody-of-baring-vostoks-calvey-until-april-idUSKCN1Q50DZ

Judge Artur Karpov extended the custody until April 13 after listening to the prosecutors, ....

This is the same judge that convicted Navalny :

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/01/world/europe/aleksei-navalny.html

The fraud case on Friday that Judge Karpov ruled on is one of several criminal prosecutions brought against Mr. Navalny that seem politically motivated and intended largely to give the authorities ways to limit his movements and communication and to silence his criticism of Mr. Putin.

And the same judge who refused the lawsuit from Magnitsky’s mother seeking to compel the Russian Investigative Committee to investigate the torture and murder of her son :

https://www.russian-untouchables.com/eng/artur-karpov/

This is not good, folks... Not good at all.
Let's not waste either.

Rob Dekker

• ASIF Upper Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: February 22, 2019, 04:12:11 AM »
Did Bellingcat get that info from some intelligence agency directly, or did it first pass through the Integrity Initiative? Maybe New Knowledge was involved, or perhaps even the good people from Cambridge Analytica?

Bellingcat promised to disclose how they figured out the identity of the third suspect in the Skripal case, and they delivered :

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/uk-and-europe/2019/02/21/the-search-for-denis-sergeev-photographing-a-ghost

The search for the identity of the third Skripal suspect “Fedotov” was markedly more difficult than that for the other two suspects, “Boshirov” and “Petrov”. The reason for this, on one side, was the fact that British authorities released no information about – and crucially, no photographs of – the third suspect. On the other side, after Bellingcat’s initial identifications of Col. Chepiga and Col. Mishkin, the Russian authorities apparently took unprecedented measures to purge any traces of this person’s existence.

Ironically, Bellingcat was able to witness this clean-up operation in real time, as data on this person that was originally available in online databases at the start of the investigation (in October 2018), became incrementally purged over the subsequent few months, with the person completely vanishing from all state-run registers by early 2019.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 04:49:17 AM by Rob Dekker »
Let's not waste either.

Martin Gisser

« Reply #4970 on: February 25, 2019, 03:29:04 PM »
Lots of McCabe interviews around... Colbert's perhaps best:

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: February 27, 2019, 05:36:48 AM »
The ‘Russian bots’ that weren't: Twitter backtracks on troll claims, media ignores updated info
Published time: 26 Feb, 2019

https://www.rt.com/usa/452503-twitter-backtracks-russian-bots-media/

Twitter quietly revised its public database of ‘Russian bot’ accounts earlier this month, removing 228 accounts it previously said were “connected to Russia”— but the admission has gone almost completely unnoticed by the media.

Bloomberg reported on the “burst of activity” from the bot accounts and claimed that Russia's “social-media trolling operation” was “stepping up its Twitter presence to new heights.”

Fast-forward to 2019 and Twitter has removed 228 of these accounts from the database, saying they had “initially misidentified” them as being linked to Russia,  but nobody in the media seems to have noticed.

In fact, Bloomberg is the only major US outlet which bothered to correct the story to reflect reality, admitting that Twitter’s changes to the dataset “invalidate central portions” of its original report and that there was “no surge” in this so-called Russian bot activity at the time in question. Oops!

In this case, we initially misidentified 228 accounts as connected to Russia. As our investigations into their activity continued, we uncovered additional information allowing us to more confidently associate them with Venezuela.
    — Yoel Roth (@yoyoel) February 5, 2019

In the last few years, there have been thousands of stories written about what Russian trolls are doing on social media, and 99% of those articles are based on junk research.
    — Sam Sacks (@SamSacks) February 22, 2019

What methodology led you to the wrong conclusion in the first place? How many similar mistake have been made trying to identify Russian trolls? What makes this new conclusion credible?

Don't hold your breath for answers... pic.twitter.com/MsYxDyffAK
    — Sam Sacks (@SamSacks) February 22, 2019

Another Twitter user found it odd that Twitter and Bloomberg had “suddenly discovered” that bots it claimed were Russian had “miraculously turned into Venezuelans.”

Or that Bloomberg suddenly discovered that trolls it previously claimed were Russian had miraculously turned into Venezuelans.https://t.co/uffMWpyzjb
    — Left I on the News (@leftiblog) February 24, 2019

(shrug)

Lurk

• ASIF Middle Class
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: March 04, 2019, 02:26:01 AM »
Feeling ‘betrayed’ by UK, ‘Novichok’ victim’s son writes letter to PUTIN
Published time: 3 Mar, 2019

Ewan Hope, the son of Amesbury poisoning victim Dawn Sturgess, has written a letter to Vladimir Putin, saying that the Russian leader is his only hope to bring justice for his mother as the UK government has abandoned his family.

"It is almost a year since my mother Dawn was killed by novichok in Salisbury and the pain never goes away for me or my family," Hope said in his letter to the Russian president, published by The Mirror.

"I am appealing to you as a human being," he wrote, asking Putin to allow the UK investigators to question two Russian nationals, Alexander Petrov and Ruslan Boshirov.

Hope also said that he wrote to Putin because he was "desperate," and believes the Russian leader to be "the only man who can make sure justice prevails."

"I feel betrayed and let down by the [UK] Government," the 20-year-old confessed, adding that his mother was "an innocent victim, but we've never heard anything from [UK Prime Minister] Theresa May or the Government – not a phone call, a letter, or anything. We haven't even heard from our MP. We just find out things on the news the same as everyone else."

When questioned about Hope’s letter, the Russian embassy in London told media that "We feel deep sympathy towards Mr Hope. Just like him, we would like to see his mother's death to be fully investigated."

The embassy grilled the UK authorities over their unwillingness to support their accusations against Russia with evidence as they instead "prefer to feed the public with multiple leaks, while refusing to confirm or deny them."

"Now it turns out that even the closest relatives of those affected are kept in the dark over what actually happened, and they have to seek truth in Russia," it said.

Also on Saturday, the Russian mission published a long press-release on the Skripal saga, showing in detail how Britain has refused to cooperate with Russia on the case. According to the paper, out of 41 diplomatic requests and questions by Moscow regarding the fate of the Skipals and the investigation, only one was fulfilled by London, while 36 were "ignored,""denied" or met with an "unsatisfactory" response.

https://www.rt.com/news/452934-uk-russia-skripal-sturgess-putin/

SALISBURY: UNANSWERED QUESTIONS (4 March 2019)
https://www.rusemb.org.uk/fnapr/6762

First responder in Skripal poisoning turns out to be Britain’s most senior military nurse
Published time: 21 Jan, 2019

It was previously reported by British media that the first person to provide medical assistance to the Skripals after they collapsed on a bench in Salisbury was “an off-duty nurse who had worked on the Ebola outbreak in Sierra Leone.”

However, the healthcare professional turned out to be not just any nurse. She was Colonel Alison McCourt, a veteran service member who currently holds the position of chief nursing officer in the British Army.

https://www.rt.com/uk/449312-salisbury-first-resonder-identified/

16 year old Abigail noticed that the Skripals were not well, misdiagnosed Sergei as having suffered a heart attack, and called her mom.

Smart move. I mean why would anyone ever call the local Ambulance if they saw someone having a heart attack in a  park? That'd be just too stupid. So stupid in fact that the "nurse" did not telephone the emergency ambulance service either - then she arrived on the scene before any Ambulances did. Good show. Very brave, Very logical, Very good Nursing.