Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Russiagate conspiracy theory  (Read 1120207 times)

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 34
Re: Russiagate
« Reply #550 on: June 13, 2017, 02:37:11 AM »
Donnie will fire anyone who does not fire Mueller.  ANYONE.  A few things:

1). Donnie is a sociopath

2). He is fighting for his family's economic life

3). Vlad has him by the testicles

4). President Brannon wants to blow things up....this is a step in that direction

Mueller WILL be fired.

FOX (RT) News....."The Trump Channel.....where truth and journalism are dead."

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 13, 2017, 03:04:50 AM »
There are clearly several ways this clusterf$$ck of a so-called administration may end.  I would be looking for General Mattis to play an important part.  He is the only cabinet member with a backbone AND strong ethics.

He won't take this forever.....

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2268
  • Likes Given: 286
« Reply #552 on: June 13, 2017, 03:23:52 AM »
Donnie will fire anyone who does not fire Mueller.

Mueller WILL be fired.

Here is some background discussion on this issue:

"Trump's friend Christopher Ruddy says President 'considering' firing Mueller"

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/12/politics/ruddy-robert-mueller-white-house/
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 13, 2017, 04:50:46 AM »
I encourage you folks to take a listen to FOX News over the next week or two.  I think it is always healthy to see what BALD FACED LYING looks like....and it shows how some people can be conned.  I especially encourage you to liste to Sean Hannity, Jeanine Pierrot, or FOX and Friends..... because those three having lying down to an art form.

It's important to understand how people have been brainwashed by FOX.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #554 on: June 13, 2017, 07:39:27 AM »
Reporting and speculation is increasing this evening that Trump may attempt to fire Special Counsel Mueller.  This would need to be done by the current Deputy AG, since AG Sessions is recused (allegedly). If Rosenstein refuses, Trump could fire him and ultimately order the DOJ to eliminate the Special Counsel provision.  Congress could then either establish an independent commission or begin impeachment proceedings, but that is unlikely with the current group of majority Republicans.  If Trump takes these actions and Congress allows it, this is truly the final step over the rubicon for what's left of American democracy.

A person that has nothing to hide or is free of guilt does not act like Trump has been acting.

Regarding AG Sessions, word out of the Senate Intel committee is that there are intercepted communications between him and the Russian ambassador from the third meeting.

You may be right Pileus, but I wouldn't count out American democracy too quickly. If Trump attempts to fire Mueller, he'll be throwing more fuel on the fire. Trump shoots from the hip and if he continues, he's just hurting his chances further. His best move in my opinion, (unless he has something to hide), is to let Mueller do his job. If he manages to fire Mueller, he just hastens his demise.

BudM

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: June 13, 2017, 07:53:32 AM »
Trump will need the Republicans on his side if he expects to weather the problems facing him in the near future. With that in mind, Trump should be mindful of his allies when considering how best to deal with Mueller.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/12/republicans-robert-mueller-trump-239460

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #556 on: June 13, 2017, 02:30:47 PM »
Russian Breach of 39 States Threatens Future U.S. Elections

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-13/russian-breach-of-39-states-threatens-future-u-s-elections

Russia’s cyberattack on the U.S. electoral system before Donald Trump’s election was far more widespread than has been publicly revealed, including incursions into voter databases and software systems in almost twice as many states as previously reported.
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 45
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #557 on: June 13, 2017, 06:22:50 PM »
Reporting and speculation is increasing this evening that Trump may attempt to fire Special Counsel Mueller.  This would need to be done by the current Deputy AG, since AG Sessions is recused (allegedly). If Rosenstein refuses, Trump could fire him and ultimately order the DOJ to eliminate the Special Counsel provision.  Congress could then either establish an independent commission or begin impeachment proceedings, but that is unlikely with the current group of majority Republicans.  If Trump takes these actions and Congress allows it, this is truly the final step over the rubicon for what's left of American democracy.

A person that has nothing to hide or is free of guilt does not act like Trump has been acting.

Regarding AG Sessions, word out of the Senate Intel committee is that there are intercepted communications between him and the Russian ambassador from the third meeting.

You may be right Pileus, but I wouldn't count out American democracy too quickly. If Trump attempts to fire Mueller, he'll be throwing more fuel on the fire. Trump shoots from the hip and if he continues, he's just hurting his chances further. His best move in my opinion, (unless he has something to hide), is to let Mueller do his job. If he manages to fire Mueller, he just hastens his demise.

BudM

budmantis, you have much more optimism than I at this point.  I continue to have faith in the American experiment, and I'm vested in the US as my family emigrated here in the 1740s.  My male ancestors served in the Revolutionary War, Civil War (Union), and the 20th century conflicts.  We lost several in the Civil War (in Virginia) and on European soil in World War II (Italy, Belgium and Germany).

After the Comey firing I posted that we would see if the American system would "bend or break".  I agree that some institutions such as the courts and (some) media have been serving as effective checks against Trump, but it has been sad to watch the GOP continuing to deepen their abandonment of relative norms and standards that have kept the American system operating for a few centuries.  All in the name of tax cuts and a regressive economic and cultural agenda that harms people and the environment, and handicaps efforts to slow the pace of climate change.

If Trump fires Mueller it SHOULD be the last straw as you allude for Republicans, but I am skeptical that this crop of GOP leaders will do anything but cover for and support Trump no matter what he does.  I certainly hope I am wrong on this point, and that a truly bipartisan resistance to Trump's effort to install an authoritarian regime develops sooner than later.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: June 13, 2017, 08:32:17 PM »
Pileus:

I think it's more hope than optimism! I think Trump is too volatile to do long lasting damage. The guy that worries me the most is Mitch McConnell. Thanks to him, we have another conservative judge on the Supreme Court and the likelihood of many more conservative judges being appointed to Circuit Courts of Appeal while Trump or Pence serve as President. Democratic control of the Senate isn't likely to happen until 2020.

By the way, that's an impressive amount of family history. My own ancestry is incomplete, but the first ancestor of mine that emigrated to the new world (Quebec), arrived around 1640.

BudM
« Last Edit: June 13, 2017, 08:40:52 PM by budmantis »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: June 14, 2017, 04:38:40 AM »
This sounds like Trump fired Preet Bharara in order to obstruct justice, and if proven, that Marc Kasowitz may be going to jail:

"Trump’s Personal Lawyer Boasted That He Got Preet Bharara Fired"

https://www.propublica.org/article/trump-personal-lawyer-boasted-that-he-got-preet-bharara-fired

Extract: "Marc Kasowitz, President Donald Trump’s personal lawyer in the Russia investigation, has boasted to friends and colleagues that he played a central role in the firing of Preet Bharara, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, according to four people familiar with the conversations.

Kasowitz told Trump, “This guy is going to get you,” according to a person familiar with Kasowitz’s account."
“It is not the strongest or the most intelligent who will survive but those who can best manage change.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: June 14, 2017, 10:20:17 AM »
The linked article indicates that contrary to Jeff Sessions' sworn testimony, that during Trump's campaign that he met with Sergey Kislyak as a Trump campaign surrogate rather than as a US senator.  While it is difficult to get a straight answer from Sessions, this hints at a possible cover-up of possible collusion with Russia during the campaign.

"Why Did Jeff Sessions Really Meet With Sergey Kislyak?"

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/06/why-did-jeff-sessions-really-meet-sergey-kislyak/530091/

Extract: "The attorney general says he was acting as a senator, but a review of his activities that summer shows ambassadors seeking him out as a Trump surrogate."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: June 14, 2017, 10:37:52 AM »
The linked article indicates that during his testimony to the Senate Intelligence Committee today that Jeff Sessions provide sufficient information for Bob Mueller to subpoena before a grand jury in order to compel testimony on Sessions conversations with Trump regarding the firing of Comey:

"Legal expert: Jeff Sessions just bought himself a ticket to a grand jury"

http://www.palmerreport.com/politics/expert-jeff-sessions-grand-jury/3449/

Extract: "Matthew Miller, an MSNBC Justice and Security Analyst with experience at the Department of Justice, posted the following summation of Jeff Sessions’s testimony after it concluded today: “if Mueller is investigating obstruction, Sessions just earned himself a trip to the grand jury to discuss those convos w/ Trump.” (link). Former FBI Director James Comey essentially confirmed during his own testimony last week that the Special Counsel is in fact investigating Donald Trump for obstruction of justice."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: June 14, 2017, 01:43:47 PM »
I watched some of the Sessions testimony video last night.  Senator Harris tore Sessions apart...and she exposed his false pretense of not discussing Session's discussions with Donnie.  Mueller and his group will have a crack at Sessions in coming months.

Harris is sharp..she will be a force in coming years for the Dem's.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: June 14, 2017, 02:07:19 PM »
You can see that we have advanced deeper into the "mocking phase" of Trump as this long tortuous process continues to play out.  I think we will see more spillover of the mocking into the White House daily briefings in the months ahead.  I would hate to be Spicey or Huckabee in coming months.  In fact...I think they will hate to be Spicey and Huckabee as well.

As far as Mueller is concerned....it's just a matter of time, and the advancing tsunami that is Mueller's investigation, until it gets too close...at which time Donnie will pull the trigger on Mueller.  That is what a guilty person will be forced to do...especially a guilty sociopath.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: June 14, 2017, 06:38:02 PM »
RussiaGate and global warming continue move towards each other.....and towards Donnie.  A third leg also appears to be oil prices which have more downside ahead of them. 

1.  Too much US oil is making it impossible to work off the excess supply

2.  RussiaGate continues to suck oxygen from almost every other topic

3.  Donnie continues to be Donnie.....as he says and does, one bonehead thing after the other

4.  Thin Arctic ice continues its summer melt.... likely towards a new record low minimum in Sept

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: June 14, 2017, 09:15:31 PM »
I watched some of the Sessions testimony video last night.  Senator Harris tore Sessions apart...and she exposed his false pretense of not discussing Session's discussions with Donnie.  Mueller and his group will have a crack at Sessions in coming months.

Harris is sharp..she will be a force in coming years for the Dem's.

And for the second time in as many weeks, she was shut down by a Republican male during her questioning.  Like Warren was shut down during, ironically, the confirmation for Jeff Sessions.  Misogyny and hostility to women will continue to be a hurdle for any female presidential candidate in the future.

Martin Heinrich and Angus King were also very impressive in their questioning.  But the Republicans on the committee showed why that group's investigation will go nowhere.  Everything is riding on Mueller's work at this point.

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: June 15, 2017, 12:31:26 AM »
Confirmation this evening of what many have suspected.  This markedly increases the odds that Trump will terminate Mueller and spark a constitutional confrontation.

Special counsel is investigating Trump for possible obstruction of justice, officials say

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/special-counsel-is-investigating-trump-for-possible-obstruction-of-justice/2017/06/14/9ce02506-5131-11e7-b064-828ba60fbb98_story.html?tid=sm_tw&utm_term=.964001705f33

The move by Special Counsel Robert S. Mueller III to investigate Trump’s own conduct marks a major turning point in the nearly year-old FBI investigation, which until recently focused on Russian meddling during the presidential campaign and on whether there was any coordination between the Trump campaign and the Kremlin. Investigators have also been looking for any evidence of possible financial crimes among Trump associates, officials said.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: June 15, 2017, 01:46:33 AM »
Confirmation this evening of what many have suspected.  This markedly increases the odds that Trump will terminate Mueller and spark a constitutional confrontation.

Special counsel is investigating Trump for possible obstruction of justice, officials say

Happy Birthday Mr. President.
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: June 15, 2017, 02:09:51 AM »
Donnie is now discovering physics....and people keep handing him concrete while he tries to keep his head above water.

Happy birthday indeed.  The noose tightens and the process continues...

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: June 15, 2017, 02:20:18 AM »
Keep in mind that obstruction of justice is not the "meat and potatos" of the investigation, but it is a nice appetizer.😏

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: June 15, 2017, 03:26:06 AM »
The Senate Judiciary Committee is joining the criminal investigation that Trump may have obstructed justice associated with Comey's firing:

"Senate Judiciary Committee opens investigation into Trump for firing former FBI Director James Comey"

http://www.rawstory.com/2017/06/senate-judiciary-committee-opens-investigation-into-trump-for-firing-former-fbi-director-james-comey/

Extract: "The Wall Street Journal reported on Wednesday that the Senate Judiciary Committee will investigate President Donald Trump’s firing of former FBI Director James Comey."
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:58:51 AM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 15, 2017, 09:01:51 AM »

Now that Trump is 71, if/when push comes to shove, his lawyers can argue that he has diminished mental capacity and cannot be held responsible for his actions, so that the in-coming president should pardon Trump.
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 15, 2017, 09:19:10 AM »
Even the USA Today is reporting that the Republican controlled Senate just voted to defy Trump and increase the punitive sanctions against Russia for their meddling in the 2016 election.  As impeachment is a political process, this is a clear sign that the GOP is starting to distance itself from Trump's sinking ship.

"Senate approves sanctions against Russia for meddling in presidential election, other abuses"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/06/14/senate-approves-sanctions-against-russia-meddling-presidential-election-other-abuses/102851760/

Extract: "Defying the Trump administration, the Senate agreed overwhelmingly Wednesday to expand sanctions against Russia for meddling in last year’s presidential election and for myriad other abuses."
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 15, 2017, 01:03:31 PM »
Many of the folks around Trump will get swept up in the obstruction of justice hunt....even if they weren't involved in more "meaty" charges of money laundering or helping the Russians during the election.  So it will be interesting to see if those involved in publicly communicating Donnie's message are going to tread a little more lightly going forward....knowing that they are now going to be closely examined.

I'll be watching my favorite fake Christian....Sara Huckabee...to see if she treads a little more lightly.  Same for Spicey....and the Queen of lying, Kellyann Conway.

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 15, 2017, 02:52:06 PM »
Also of note....FBI is looking into Rudy Guiliani's leaking of FBI information of the Clinton investigation during the election.  He DID.....and one of my favorite weazel's, Jason Chaffets, also will be implicated in that issue as well.   No wonder Jason is leaving office to work at FOX....where being short on ethics seems to be a requirement.  Well done FOX....you deserve each other.😜

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 15, 2017, 04:00:30 PM »
Using a "rope a dope" strategy the Dems hope to get Trump to self-impeach over the Russia investigation:

"Trump Will “Self-Impeach” Over Russia Investigation, Leading Democrat Says"

http://elitedaily.com/news/politics/trump-will-self-impeach-russia-investigation-leading-democrat-says/1991632/

Extract: "House minority leader Nancy Pelosi cited a simple reason why Democrats should stop trying to impeach Donald Trump: the president will eventually do it himself.
According to Politico, Rep. Pelosi made the appeal during a closed-door meeting on Tuesday …"
― Leon C. Megginson

pileus

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 15, 2017, 05:14:06 PM »

Now that Trump is 71, if/when push comes to shove, his lawyers can argue that he has diminished mental capacity and cannot be held responsible for his actions, so that the in-coming president should pardon Trump.

This along with what transpired with Reagan should be enough to spark a national dialogue about reasonable age limits for presidential and other candidates for national federal office.  Of course some would immediately cry "aegism!", but it's not at all controversial to say that after 70 both cognitive and physical capabilities are compromised and in permanent decline.  Many of us begin to decline physically much earlier, in our 40s or 50s, and mental sharpness is also highly variable depending on a host of circumstances.  The demands of the US presidency are tremendous, it is truly a 24/7 job and the constant domestic and worldwide travel requirements take a toll on the body and psyche.  This would naturally suggest the US think twice before foisting the current crop of septuagenarians under discussion for 2020 upon the nation, including the mainstream Democrats (Biden and Clinton), the Independent Leftist (Sanders), and the so-called GOP (Romney, or, god forbid, Trump). 

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 15, 2017, 05:22:46 PM »
I saw where FOX is dropping their old tag line (LIE) of "Fair and Balenced."

I have been using a much more appropriate AND ACCURATE tag line for months.  I have no doubt that they will begin using it.😳
« Last Edit: June 15, 2017, 08:01:51 PM by Buddy »

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 15, 2017, 07:15:12 PM »
The evidence accumulates that Trump tried to obstruct justice in the Russia investigation:

"NSA memo leaks documenting Donald Trump’s attempt at obstruction of justice"

http://www.palmerreport.com/politics/nsa-memo-trump-obstruction/3471/
― Leon C. Megginson

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 583
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #579 on: June 16, 2017, 02:06:58 AM »
Even the USA Today is reporting that the Republican controlled Senate just voted to defy Trump and increase the punitive sanctions against Russia for their meddling in the 2016 election.  As impeachment is a political process, this is a clear sign that the GOP is starting to distance itself from Trump's sinking ship.

"Senate approves sanctions against Russia for meddling in presidential election, other abuses"

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/06/14/senate-approves-sanctions-against-russia-meddling-presidential-election-other-abuses/102851760/

Extract: "Defying the Trump administration, the Senate agreed overwhelmingly Wednesday to expand sanctions against Russia for meddling in last year’s presidential election and for myriad other abuses."

The expanded sanctions against Russia (combined in the bill with anti-Iran sanctions) is, indeed, highly significant.  But I think even more relevant is another passage in the article

Not only does the amendment impose new sanctions on what it identifies as “corrupt Russian actors,” it makes it impossible for the Trump administration to remove them unilateraly. Under the bipartisan agreement, Congress will have the authority to review and potentially disapprove any attempt by the administration to suspend or terminate the sanctions.

Trump, on his own, can no longer reverse the sanctions, if this clears the House.

Look at this from Putin's perspective.  I can see four or five major gains he might have expected from Trump's victory:
1.  An end to sanction (that's no longer in Trumps power).
2.  A weakening of NATO's tendency to encroach on Rissia's borders (that's not happened, with Montenegro entering the NATO umbrella).   Mixed bag otherwise, because while Trump may have demoralized NATO, he's bullied the other members to boost military spending.
3.  Ceasing efforts to undermine Assad's regime.  Not much gain there, with the bombing of a Syrian air base.
4.  Possibly steps to increase the price of oil, perhaps by raising tensions with Iran.  Well, tensions with Iran are up a notch, but oil is just not getting pricier.  US frackers are taking up the slack.
5.  Rolling back efforts to prop up the regime in Ukraine.  Well, with sanctions still in place and the Russian economy faltering, Putin's probably bitten off as much of Ukraine as he can chew.  No real gain there.

In sum, Russia's gotten no better deal than they'd have faced if Hillary had won.  Trump is now essentially useless to Putin.  I wonder if Putin might decide it's best to make public any and all incriminating evidence he has on Trump, and just destroy the Trump administration.

Putin wouldn't necessarily gain much by doing so, except he'd cement his reputation as a guy you just don't cross if you value your freedom.  That's worth something.

ritter

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #580 on: June 16, 2017, 05:16:04 PM »
I wonder if Putin might decide it's best to make public any and all incriminating evidence he has on Trump, and just destroy the Trump administration.

Putin wouldn't necessarily gain much by doing so, except he'd cement his reputation as a guy you just don't cross if you value your freedom.  That's worth something.

He'd manage to throw the US government into absolute chaos. While many of us dream of impeachment, we do need to be careful of what we wish for. I'm not sure how softly the ardent Trump supporters will go gentle into that good night. We live in interesting times.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 16, 2017, 06:03:24 PM »
If one postulates that Russiagate is true (that Donald & Vlad have/are colluded/colluding), and that consequently both Donald and Vlad are prepared to fight to the bitter end to maintain control over the US government; then it is worthwhile to put oneself in Donald/Vlad's shoes in order to avoid being surprised by Donald/Vlad's likely endgame.  In this regards, I begin with the first linked article by TASS about Trump's fight against the "Deep State" (note I will play the devil's advocate and talk in terms of the "Deep State" promoted by both Steve Bannon & the Russian Oligarch) led by Bob Mueller (with my comments after the extract from the second linked article):

"Kommersant: Mission Unimpeachable: Special Counsel Mueller tests Trump team"

http://tass.com/pressreview/951180

Extract: "The standoff between US President Donald Trump and his ‘Deep State’ rivals has entered a new phase. After former FBI Director James Comey testified before Congress, which seemed to have disquieted the White House occupant, the role of the new chief newsmaker goes to ex-FBI chief, Robert Mueller, Kommersant writes. He now shoulders the burden for the continued probe of Trump’s alleged connection with Russia.

So far the question of Mueller’s role in possibly advancing the Democrats’ campaign to impeach the president is still open. According to Yuri Rogulev, Director of the Franklin D. Roosevelt Foundation for United States Studies at the Moscow State University, it is rather difficult to foresee how events will unfold. "I’m sure that those in the US, who are conducting this investigation, will not be able to find evidence confirming Trump’s ties with Russian officials and the basis for impeachment won’t have legs to stand on. At the hearings, Comey himself confirmed that reports on Trump’s connections with Russia had been fabricated, and in this case Mueller will not change anything, despite his political experience," he told the paper."

&

Next, I post the linked Factcheck article entitled: "Can Trump Fire Mueller?", which makes it clear that Trump can eliminate the Special Counsel by rescinding regulation 28 C.F.R. Section 600.4-600.10 (or alternately firing Rosenstein for writing his memo on Comey that Trump says lead to his firing of Comey, and then replace Rosenstein with a new Deputy AG that would fire Mueller and not appoint a new special counsel).  This would stop all investigations of obstruction of justice, laundering of Russian oligarch money and collusion in the 2016 election until the "Deep State" can pass a Congressional law creating a new office for an independent counsel (like Ken Starr was), and then invite someone beholding to the "Deep State" like Mueller to fill that office.

http://www.factcheck.org/2017/06/can-trump-fire-mueller/

Extract: "Q: Can President Donald Trump fire special counsel Robert Mueller?

A: Not directly. Only the deputy attorney general who appointed Mueller can fire him and only for cause. But Trump could fire the DAG, or order the special-counsel regulations repealed and fire Mueller himself."

Such game playing to temporarily shut-down the Russiagate investigation may seem counterproductive to Team Trump/Putin (making them look more guilty), but if Congress appoints an independent counsel then Trump could challenge the validity of this law all the way to the Supreme Court, saying that under the U.S. Constitution that no governmental office, including the independent counsel, is above some form of accountability (as the special counsel is subject to accountability by the DOJ).  This could effectively delay investigation of Russiagate until after the 2018 elections; by which time Team Trump/Putin could have orchestrated a formally declared war (say against Iran), that would give Trump wartime powers to suppress actions against his administration.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 10:42:46 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 16, 2017, 08:07:12 PM »
Looks like Donnie is setting himself up to fire Rosenstein pretty soon.  He has to stop Mueller...and getting rid of Rosenstein is step 1 in that process.  Mueller is making too much headway....too quickly.

Another Saturday night massacre coming?  Possible...

magnamentis

« Reply #583 on: June 16, 2017, 08:15:49 PM »
Looks like Donnie is setting himself up to fire Rosenstein pretty soon.  He has to stop Mueller...and getting rid of Rosenstein is step 1 in that process.  Mueller is making too much headway....too quickly.

Another Saturday night massacre coming?  Possible...

it seems to be a fact but can someone explain to me how it's possible the an individual who is subject to serious charges can fire the "prosecutor" so to say ( the person who investigates ) i mean that would be an obvious hindering of obstruction for the legal process to find the truth. if, as it seems that is possible for the second time after comey that would definitely be another flaw in the system IMO and makes appointing an investigator a charade.

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 16, 2017, 10:50:47 PM »
it seems to be a fact but can someone explain to me how it's possible the an individual who is subject to serious charges can fire the "prosecutor" so to say ( the person who investigates ) i mean that would be an obvious hindering of obstruction for the legal process to find the truth. if, as it seems that is possible for the second time after comey that would definitely be another flaw in the system IMO and makes appointing an investigator a charade.

Maybe the two linked articles might be of help on this matter:

"Here Are The Differences Between A Special Counsel, Special Prosecutor and Independent Counsel"

http://www.politicususa.com/2017/05/18/differences-special-counsel-special-prosecutor-independent-counsel.html

&

"United States Office of the Independent Counsel"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Office_of_the_Independent_Counsel

Edit, if you're still confused, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_Special_Counsel_for_the_United_States_Department_of_Justice_team
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #585 on: June 17, 2017, 03:16:53 AM »
The parade of Palmer Report hits on Team Trump just keep on coming:

“Report: Steve Bannon under investigation for obstruction and physically threatening White House staff”

http://www.palmerreport.com/politics/steve-bannon-obstruction-white-house-staff/3486/

Extract: “The investigation into Donald Trump’s Russia scandal is expanding by the day, and in some instances by the hour, with the reported list of investigative subjects and targets continuing to grow longer. Now comes a report that White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon is under investigation for obstruction, and for allegedly physically threatening his fellow White House staffers.

At this point it’s believed that the Special Counsel investigation into Donald Trump and his associates is now focused on Trump himself along with Jared Kushner, Michael Flynn, Carter Page, and Paul Manafort, among others. Vice President Mike Pence, and Trump’s own personal attorney Michael Cohen, have each hired attorneys to personally represent them in the scandal in the past twenty-four hours. And numerous other Trump advisers and associates are being called to testify about the scandal before Congress. And now we have this new report that Steve Bannon is also among those under investigation.”

&

“Trump and deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein”

http://www.palmerreport.com/politics/hell-broken-loose-donald-trump-deputy-ag-rod-rosenstein/3484/

Extract: “It all started with a three sentence press release that was so bizarre, you knew there had to be more to it. Now it’s dissolved into everything from a public attack on the current deputy Attorney General, to the prospect of a new deputy Attorney General – and the picture isn’t less clear now than it was last night. All we know for sure is that all hell has broken loose between Donald Trump and Rod Rosenstein.

It started last night with a Department of Justice press release that had Rosenstein’s name on it but sounded like little more than a glorified Trump rant about not believing leaks in the media. With still no explanation for what was really behind the release, Trump tweeted the following this morning: “I am being investigated for firing the FBI Director by the man who told me to fire the FBI Director! Witch Hunt”.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: June 17, 2017, 05:01:07 PM »
Where there is this much smoke, to can bet your bottom dollar that there is fire:

“Donald Trump’s DC hotel construction during campaign”

http://www.palmerreport.com/politics/russian-money-laundering-bank-funded-donald-trumps-dc-hotel-construction-campaign/3495/

Extract: “The United States Office for Government Ethics has released ninety-eight pages of details about Donald Trump’s finances, which demonstrate that he’s directly profiting from the presidency in violation of the Emoluments Clause of the Constitution, and that he’s still massively in debt to foreign and domestic banks. But one detail stands out above the rest, and points directly to his Russia scandal.

Earlier this year German-based Deutsche Bank was busted for prolonged pattern of laundering Russian money into the hands of clients in places like New York City.

So now we’re looking at the specter of a Russian money laundering bank having floated a massive long-term loan to Donald Trump just as he was launching a presidential campaign which went on to hire at least half a dozen senior advisers who had close ties or contacts with the Russian government during the course of the campaign. That doesn’t prove Russia laundered the money to Trump in exchange for him running for president and doing Russia’s bidding, but it sure is eye-popping.”
― Leon C. Megginson

Buddy

• Young ice
  • Go DUCKS!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: June 18, 2017, 02:21:19 AM »
Although there are many similarities between Watergate and RussiaGate, there is one VERY significant difference:  In Watergate, the coverup was bigger than the crime.  In RussiaGate...The crimes will be much bigger than the coverup.

Going to be an entertaining summer....

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 18, 2017, 03:31:39 AM »
This May 2016 video concludes by wondering what will happen if Donald Trump becomes president and has full control of the US government's intelligence resources (& I add this is especially of concern if that control is currently being combined with Putin's control of Russian intelligence resources):

“State of Surveillance”

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/state-surveillance/

Extract: “As you read this, your government could be thumbing through your contacts, reviewing your text messages and uploading the photos you have stored on your phone without your knowledge. This is the new reality in a post-9/11 age. Most citizens around the globe were first made aware of this troubling phenomenon through the controversial actions of whistleblower Edward Snowden. In their new documentary titled State of Surveillance, VICE travels to Russia, where Snowden currently lives safe from persecution by the United States, to probe the depths of his particular area of expertise.”
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 18, 2017, 12:55:37 PM »
The Palmer Report has a new post indicating that the FBI has tapes of Newt Gingrich setting-up multiple meetings between the Trump campaign and Kislyak et. al. in September 2016.

"Report: FBI has recordings of Newt Gingrich setting up Trump-Russia meetings during campaign"

http://www.palmerreport.com/politics/newt-gingrich-trump-russia-meetings/3504/

Extract: "According to political insider Puesto Loco, whose intel community sources have proven themselves correct in the past, “FBI has Sept, 2016 tapes of Newt Gingrich setting up multiple Team Trump/Russia meetings with Kislyak et al.”"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 05:11:03 PM by AbruptSLR »
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 18, 2017, 12:59:31 PM »
Trump's silence is deafening:

"Trump’s silence on Russian hacking hands Democrats new weapon"

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/17/trump-russia-hacking-silence-democrats-239656

Extract: "Democrats say Trump has yet to express public concern about the underlying issue with striking implications for America's democracy."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 18, 2017, 07:17:52 PM »
It would appear that Team Trump has had so much success at using low priced trolls to influence their base over the Internet (and in the alt-right media), that they have now decided to use high-priced lawyers to troll the Main Stream Media for their accurate reporting on Russiagate, in an effort to build/maintain Trump's despotic authority.  I take this as an indication that Team-Trump/Bannon plan to fight (including the use of trolling the MSM) the rule of law to the bitter end.

"Trump’s lawyer bizarrely claims Mueller investigating Trump “not constitutional”"

http://shareblue.com/trumps-lawyer-bizarrely-claims-mueller-investigating-trump-unconstitutional/

Extract: "Donald Trump's personal lawyer offered an odd take on what he deems "not constitutional" — not Trump's potential obstruction of justice, but rather the inquiry into that matter altogether."
― Leon C. Megginson

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: June 18, 2017, 07:25:54 PM »

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/17/trump-russia-hacking-silence-democrats-239656

Extract: "Democrats say Trump has yet to express public concern about the underlying issue with striking implications for America's democracy."

Not only is Trump not interested in Russia's meddling in the 2016 election, he is currently serving as a Russian lobbyist with the House of Representative to fight against more sanctions:

"White House pushing Republicans in the House to relax new Russia sanctions"

http://www.salon.com/2017/06/17/white-house-pushing-republicans-in-the-house-to-relax-new-russia-sanctions/

Extract: "The Senate overwhelmingly passed new sanctions against Russia, and now the Trump administration is pushing back"
― Leon C. Megginson

Hefaistos

« Reply #593 on: June 18, 2017, 09:53:52 PM »

He might be silent about this, as there are no real proofs of any hacking by Russia as a country. I think we should be very careful to point fingers anywhere here.

The Russian oligarch Oleg Deripaska is an interesting name in this context. Clearly, he knows something about this matter. A couple of weeks ago, NYT wrote that he wants to give testimony to the congressional committee, to which he replies:
"The story set out by the NYT is that I allegedly have information about Russia's interference in the US elections, but that I'm not ready to provide it before I am guaranteed immunity. Both of these statements are untrue and are an absolute lie," Deripaska said in a statement.
Deripaska, an aluminum magnate, stressed that "I really do have evidence - which of course is unpleasant for some - that testifies directly to the opposite of the story of Russian intervention."
He called the article as "true only in certain moments, but in essence false and misleading."
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/26/us/politics/oleg-deripaska-paul-manafort.html?_r=0
https://sputniknews.com/world/201705291054082986-deripaska-nyt-full-immunity-russia/

We can probably assume he knows something about the matter if he makes such a statement, and it deserves to be listened to, because Deripaska is a friend of Putin, a friend and former colleague of Manafort, he befriends various Ukrainian oligarchs, etc. What he says is plainly that it was not "Russia" that did the hacking. If we assume that the NSA is correct that it was "russians" who did the hacking, the question still remains: Who assigned them?

These hacks could well have been organized by someone in the alt-right camp. They would then have used the virus arsenal from CIA with built in false traces pointing to russian origins (as revealed and released by wikileaks), they would have engaged Russian-speaking hackers to generate hackers' 'signatures' that falsely implied Russia.
There is a principal difference between "russians" and "Russia". Lot's of russians live in other countries, more than 3 millions live in the US, very many live in former Soviet republics like Ukraine, e.g. many Ukrainians also have russian as their native language.

I think it's quite unlikely that, for example, GRU would commit to hacking companies in the United States that work with the voting system. Which is what NSA claims in the report recently leaked to the "Intercept". Russia's security service (GRU) has to be considered serious in its activities and always to make a calculation of reward / risk in any activities regarding foreign entities. That GRU officials would busy themselves by hacking actors in the US voting system (which is what the NSA claims, saying it was "Russian government hackers") must reasonably involve a very high risk of detection, with negative, and potentially catastrophic consequences, such as extended sanctions against Russia. I believe that the Russian signatures detected by US intelligence are just false traces laid out by the actual perpetrators. Eventually, Deripaska or someone else with inside knowledge will come forward and tell us who the real organizer is. My hunch: Go for Manafort and his buddies, look into the alt-right undervegetation of the Trump movement.

Laura Derrick

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #594 on: June 18, 2017, 11:02:13 PM »
So your theory is that someone in the alt right did the hacking and set it up to look like it was Russia? Despite it being the consensus of the entire intelligence community that Russia was the culprit?

So how do you explain away Russian election hacking/active measures in the UK, France, Austria, Bulgaria, the Netherlands, Norway, Germany, and Ukraine?

http://www.newsweek.com/russia-election-hacking-france-us-606314

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #595 on: June 19, 2017, 12:38:35 AM »
So how do you explain away Russian election hacking/active measures in the UK, France, Austria, Bulgaria, the Netherlands, Norway, Germany, and Ukraine?
See how clever the Alt-right is! :P ::) ;D :-X :'(
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

AbruptSLR

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: June 19, 2017, 03:27:52 AM »
I think it's quite unlikely that, for example, GRU would commit to hacking companies in the United States that work with the voting system. Which is what NSA claims in the report recently leaked to the "Intercept".

Here is the leaked evidence that Russian intelligence was involved in the 2016 election interference, not hackers:

https://theintercept.com/2017/06/05/top-secret-nsa-report-details-russian-hacking-effort-days-before-2016-election/

"The top-secret National Security Agency document, which was provided anonymously to The Intercept and independently authenticated, analyzes intelligence very recently acquired by the agency about a months-long Russian intelligence cyber effort against elements of the U.S. election and voting infrastructure. The report, dated May 5, 2017, is the most detailed U.S. government account of Russian interference in the election that has yet come to light."
― Leon C. Megginson

Hefaistos

« Reply #597 on: June 19, 2017, 05:21:11 AM »
So your theory is that someone in the alt right did the hacking and set it up to look like it was Russia? Despite it being the consensus of the entire intelligence community that Russia was the culprit?

http://www.newsweek.com/russia-election-hacking-france-us-606314

I'd say, that any 'political' hacking would involve false traces. You never use generic IP numbers e.g., you always use VPN's to hide where you are and from where the communication takes place.
You also try to create false 'signatures', little traces that reveal the hacker's style, his native language, etc.
CIA mastered this technique, see the complete documentation of the 'Grasshopper' virus:
https://wikileaks.org/vault7/#Grasshopper
It's all in the public domain, ready to use for anyone, and the code comes complete with "stolen goods", i.e. code reused from Russian hackers that give false traces pointing to Russia. Neat, isn't it?
As regards France, it has already been explained away by the chief of national cyber security in France, Mr Poupard (at ANSSI), short version here:
http://time.com/4801295/russia-hacking-cyber-security-france-french-election-emmanuel-macron-apt28/
"ANSSI's investigation found no trace behind the Macron hack of the notorious hacking group APT28 — identified by the U.S. government as a Russian intelligence outfit and blamed for hacks of the U.S. election campaign, anti-doping agencies and other targets."
For the full interview see:
http://www.heraldextra.com/news/world/ap-interview-france-warns-of-risk-of-war-in-cyberspace/article_e1105234-03bb-5149-98b0-abf32b900e25.html

Rogers at NSA was misinformed.
As for the other countries mentioned... Allegations there are, but where are the proofs?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 05:54:29 AM by Hefaistos »

Hefaistos

« Reply #598 on: June 19, 2017, 05:36:46 AM »
I think it's quite unlikely that, for example, GRU would commit to hacking companies in the United States that work with the voting system. Which is what NSA claims in the report recently leaked to the "Intercept".

Here is the leaked evidence that Russian intelligence was involved in the 2016 election interference, not hackers:...
Only that there is no single piece of evidence in that report from the NSA, only empty allegations. I agree that it likely was Russian speaking hackers doing this, but there is simply no evidence that they were working on behalf of Russia. I'd say, they didn't.

Hefaistos

« Reply #599 on: June 19, 2017, 05:48:24 AM »
House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes said Saturday there “was never any collusion between Donald Trump and the Russians,” casting himself as a victim of media bias and calling on Washington to “stop chasing Russian ghosts".

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/06/18/nunes-trump-russia-239674