Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: No More Need to Tip the Pizza Delivery Person  (Read 4608 times)

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 5
No More Need to Tip the Pizza Delivery Person
« on: May 13, 2017, 08:22:12 AM »
Domino's has announced that its autonomous delivery vehicle is now operating commercially, delivering pizzas to customers in Hamburg, Germany.

The robot delivery system was created in partnership with Starship Technologies, a European startup founded by two of Skype's co-creators Ahti Heinla and Janus Friis in 2014.

"Robotic delivery units will complement our existing delivery methods, including cars, scooters, and e-bikes," Don Meij, Domino's Group CEO, said in a statement.

The robots travel on six wheels, navigating through streets and around small obstacles with the help of their on-board sensors, which can detect the shortest route to a destination and adapt their speed to pedestrians around them. The robots can travel up to 16 kilometres per hour.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
Re: No More Need to Tip the Pizza Delivery Person
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 05:49:18 PM »
Will each Pizza Man require a Robo Cop or will it be Free Food for the Hood?
Terry

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 05:56:25 PM »
I would imagine that if someone tries to rip off robo there will be very high quality images for the police to use in tracking them down.

And, were I designing the puppy, if someone tried to pick it up or open it up it would squeal like a stuck pig.  Maybe spray them with eau de skunk.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 06:56:01 PM »
Police Parsing Photos Find Pizza Pilfering Perps Prefer Pepperoni
Hackers Hack & Hijack Hightech Handcart
Skunkworks Serum Secreted in Stealth Secret Sauce Sprayer
Domino's Dolly Stinks & Squeals on Suspect

:)

mati

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 07:01:03 PM »
Integrated navigation and obstacle avoidance software enables the robots to drive autonomously, but they are also overseen by human operators who can step in to ensure safety at all times.

https://www.starship.xyz/press-release/

So they are monitored ... interesting.  Sounds like a great technology :)
and so it goes

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 07:41:01 PM »
If we could just come up with a way to eliminate the whole delivery hassle we'd get rich. Say we started by making and cooking pizza at a centralized location, then froze them. They could be distributed to grocery stores and corner stores along with their regular products.
At home they'd need to be defrosted and the cooking completed. This might be done using a high tech oven/heater utilizing micro waves!! You could keep these delicious & nutritious frozen meals in your normal home freezer compartment, pop one into your microwave whenever the pizza urge hit, and voila - steaming hot pizza on demand with no delivery boy or robot needed.

We could call it "Ice Pizza", Fast Pizza, Chiller Pizza, - not sure, but if we can get the name right we'll make a fortune.

Terry

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 07:55:06 PM »
There's another company which bakes the pies in the truck.  That way you get a much better pie than what you can get from a frozen pizza baked at home.  Stock it with unbaked crusts and toppings.  Put on whatever toppings the customer wants.  Bake it at optimal temps, humidity, and surface temp for degree of crust crispness.  Even burn a few wood chips in the oven for that wood-fired oven smell.

I would suspect we are short years from self-driving pizza trucks that roam the city, baking pies on order, and sending them to your door using their robobot delivery pod.

Self-driving prep, cook, and delivering food trucks.  Why not? 

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 07:58:25 PM »
Robot Roach Coach, has a nice ring to it!
 :)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 09:14:31 PM »
What about people leaving their houses and going to a place to meet people and eat together?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 09:20:24 PM »
What about people leaving their houses and going to a place to meet people and eat together?

Old enough to remember what happened when people got TVs? 

Technology changes how we live. 

I expect we'll see restaurants as destinations/social spaces.  But we might see a lot fewer takeout and fast food places. 

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2017, 09:42:33 PM »
Old enough to remember what happened when people got TVs?
Not a problem anymore; there's nothing on worth watching.
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2017, 10:31:38 PM »
Don't know.  Haven't owned a TV for the last ~30 years.  But I do know that I see an awful lot of interesting stuff on my internet screen.

Before TV and the internet people used to sit around talking to each other.  Or entertaining each other with music, stories or games.  In good weather people used to sit out in front of their house and talk to people who were out for an evening walk.