Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: P and S in New Zealand  (Read 408 times)

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 645
  • Likes Given: 46
P and S in New Zealand
« on: December 01, 2023, 02:05:44 AM »
@  rodius  .....thanks ......and firstly , in the interest of full disclosure, dairy farming is a significant part of our business....... and secondly , there is a wide range of views in the farming community on climate change from agressively dismissive , right though to actively progressive . Dismissive is probably the more widely held attitude however.  Sadly.....

I lived in NZ for almost 30 years and worked for Maersk who send A LOT of powered milk to Europe via Fonterra. I was one of the people who organised and ensure those 1000s and 1000s of containers of the stuff made it there on time every year.

It is truly huge.

Anyway, I understand the diversity of opinions within a community... I know a couple of farmers there who are very proactive about climate mitigation.

My point was more a sweeping statement of the statement and those making it.
It looks like there is a campaign to undermine the situation to the public so they don't have to pay the taxes that are coming soon to dairy farmers that relate to methane.

NZ does need to lift the bar though, and since most farmers are either dismissive or against the idea of climate change, it makes sense the focus is on making sure they make their profits and not pay the methane taxes... it is business.

I can already hear the replies of "But NZ is so small, it wont make any difference.... blah blah blah."

squilliam

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 91
Re: P and S in New Zealand
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2023, 08:27:57 AM »

NZ does need to lift the bar though, and since most farmers are either dismissive or against the idea of climate change, it makes sense the focus is on making sure they make their profits and not pay the methane taxes... it is business.

I can already hear the replies of "But NZ is so small, it wont make any difference.... blah blah blah."

Absolutely, we have >70% renewable energy and yet our emissions per capita are now greater than the United Kingdom. This incoming government is equal parts travesty and embarrassment. They are on a mission to turn the clock back 20 years, to the 'good ol' days'. The American colonisation of our politics is an ongoing process it seems...

kiwichick16

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2023, 04:54:24 PM »
@  squilliam  .....the incoming 3 party coalition of right wing/extreme right wing groups is already a circus , with delay and denial of action on global warming just one of their costly and embarrassing stuffups

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2023, 12:22:41 AM »
@  squilliam  .....the incoming 3 party coalition of right wing/extreme right wing groups is already a circus , with delay and denial of action on global warming just one of their costly and embarrassing stuffups

I had to check who won the NZ election because things like that arent covered in Oz (which is sad in its own right).

What a complete surprise that Labor were ousted so comprehensively... how did that even happen?
Is it because the media is being influenced from the outside?

What a shame the right wing factions have gained power... usually National isn't too bad, but that has changed a lot in the previous decade. I can see roll backs no climate stuff happening.

kiwichick16

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2023, 02:08:43 AM »
@ rodius... this getting off topic .....but the nz media is being accused of being pro left in some quarters ....see Winston Peters.....

the last sentence of Vox's post re increasing effect of CO 2  is also important if it leads to more accurate models

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2023, 04:49:40 AM »
@ rodius... this getting off topic .....but the nz media is being accused of being pro left in some quarters ....see Winston Peters.....

the last sentence of Vox's post re increasing effect of CO 2  is also important if it leads to more accurate models

It is a little off topic... yet, when viewed in the context of which pathway we are on, and understanding the NZ is a small player in the game, I find it disturbing that NZ has been politically altered like it is at the moment.

To me, if a country that tends to be a world leader in flipping the bird to international pressures (Nuclear Free in spite of sanctions from the US, their approach to Covid, voting structures, and a media that is untouched by the behemoths in places like the US, Oz and Uk) is starting to fail against those forces, I find it concerning.

To tells me that no country is too small to be pressured into reversing climate actions. It is just one more step in the wrong direction.

Still, NZ is still one of my favourite countries in the world. (Samoa is my number one, but I am biased because I am married to one and loved living there for a few years... cant wait to get back there)

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 04:47:29 PM »
Split out some NZ post from the more general debate.

On a general note when replying to something which is veering of topic discussing the off topic try to find the correct thread for it. If there isn´t any and it is Climate Related use Climate Chat if it is very general or random it can go into the Off Topic Off Topic thread in the rest.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2023, 05:00:12 PM by kassy »
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.