Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Trains, Trams, Subways and Buses  (Read 37534 times)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 430
Re: Trains, Trams, Subways and Buses
« Reply #50 on: June 10, 2019, 05:34:19 PM »
Philadelphia introduces 25 new electric buses, claims largest zero-emissions fleet on U.S. East Coast
...between the 25 new e-buses and 38 trackless trolleys, SEPTA now has the largest zero-emission bus fleet on the East Coast. Some may not be willing to count those trolleys, but even a bus fleet with 25 electric buses ranks at or near the top of East Count cities in that regard.

That title may not last long, however. New York City only has 10 electric buses in its fleet as of April, but the country’s largest city has said it will add 65 more electric buses before the end of the year, and 500 more within the next five years.
https://electrek.co/2019/06/06/philadelphia-electric-buses-east-coast/
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2019, 09:35:50 PM »
The main topic of the concept is modular architecture, which enables use of the platform 24/7 with various modules - for example as a bus during the day and as a truck during night.
   •   8m long
   •   162 kWh battery pack under the floor, cylindrical cells
   •   range of 245 km (152 miles)
   •   the bus version can take 55 passengers (20 seats)
   •   weight of 8 ton

Electric, Autonomous And Modular Scania NXT Unveiled
Scania NXT hints the future of electric buses and trucks beyond 2030

Scania presents at the UITP Global Public Transport Summit in Stockholm (10-12 June) all-new all-electric concept - the Scania NXT, which is envisioned as fully autonomous vehicle for 2030 and beyond.

"Welcome to the NXT future! Scania’s new battery electric self-driving urban concept vehicle is designed with the flexibility to shift from ferrying commuters to and from work in mornings and evenings, delivering goods during the day and collecting refuse at night.

In a bold display of innovation, Scania’s engineers have taken the company’s DNA – the modular system – to the next level in developing a concept vehicle that can change shape for varying urban assignments." ...
https://insideevs.com/news/354248/electric-autonomous-modular-scania-nxt/amp/

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3510
  • Likes Given: 745
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2019, 08:16:42 PM »
German railways to stop using glyphosate on tracks
https://phys.org/news/2019-06-german-railways-glyphosate-tracks.html

German state-owned rail operator Deutsche Bahn is to stop using glyphosate (RoundUp) on its tracks and is looking for substitutes to replace the controversial weedkiller, one of its board members said in an interview Friday.

The rail operator is Germany's largest user of glyphosate and buys nearly 65 tonnes of the herbicide per year to stop weeds from propagating on its tracks.

"We want to set up a research project to find effective ways to operate our 33,000 kilometres (20,500 miles) of network without glyphosate to be environmentally friendly," infrastructure chief Ronald Pofalla told the weekly business magazine WirtschaftsWoche.

The World Health Organization classifies glyphosate as "probably carcinogenic".
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2019, 08:24:39 PM »
This is funny. One would think the train kills the weed...

Good move DB.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 309
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2019, 05:56:16 PM »
Just look at the price. I don't travel 1st Class, but in school, m son has to present a trip to any city, showing costs, lodging and possible activities. So I found this. It is for 4 peoples.

It is a trip via Paris. Via Brussels is cheaper (somewhere between 1500 EUR and 2000 EUR) because only half of the way is done with a high speed train and it takes about 1 hour more. The problem via Brussels is that the train from Luxembourg used to be (don't know how it is now) often late, so you were not sure that you got the Eurostar in Brussels (I did it 9/11/2001, and when I came out in Brussels, I wondered why the guy at the desk told me insane stories about planes crashing in the Twin Towers, I was in the tunnel when it happened).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:07:23 PM by etienne »

Bob Wallace

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2019, 06:09:44 PM »
This is funny. One would think the train kills the weed...

Good move DB.

We need to return to steam engines.  The waste steam could be used to cook the weeds.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2019, 06:57:33 PM »
Consider it done, Bob! ;)

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2019, 03:41:00 AM »
The World's First Solar Powered Train

I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2019, 11:11:40 PM »
Quite frustrating, I just booked a trip by train to London in September. Plane would have been more or less half the price. From the traveling time, it's not a big difference (around 7h by train, little bit more than 1h by plane, but airports are more difficult to reach and you need to be much earlier at the airport than at the train station. I hope there is WIFI in the Eurostar otherwise the kids will not be too happy.

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #59 on: July 31, 2019, 12:29:10 AM »

Why?? We already have electric trains...

Sebastian Jones

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #60 on: July 31, 2019, 07:47:37 AM »
German railways to stop using glyphosate on tracks
https://phys.org/news/2019-06-german-railways-glyphosate-tracks.html

German state-owned rail operator Deutsche Bahn is to stop using glyphosate (RoundUp) on its tracks and is looking for substitutes to replace the controversial weedkiller, one of its board members said in an interview Friday.

The rail operator is Germany's largest user of glyphosate and buys nearly 65 tonnes of the herbicide per year to stop weeds from propagating on its tracks.

Interesting how different jurisdictions approach weeds on rail tracks.
There is a railway that goes from Alaska through B.C. in the Yukon.
It decided to spray various poisons on its rights of way to kill weeds.
Alaska simply said it was not allowed. Period.
The Yukon had a big environmental assessment that concluded it was a bad idea.
B.C. had no rules, no permits needed.

"We want to set up a research project to find effective ways to operate our 33,000 kilometres (20,500 miles) of network without glyphosate to be environmentally friendly," infrastructure chief Ronald Pofalla told the weekly business magazine WirtschaftsWoche.

The World Health Organization classifies glyphosate as "probably carcinogenic".

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #61 on: July 31, 2019, 01:46:42 PM »
Quite frustrating, I just booked a trip by train to London in September. Plane would have been more or less half the price. From the traveling time, it's not a big difference (around 7h by train, little bit more than 1h by plane, but airports are more difficult to reach and you need to be much earlier at the airport than at the train station. I hope there is WIFI in the Eurostar otherwise the kids will not be too happy.
My wife's brother lives in northwestern Germany and flies all over the world for business. Recently he has been quite affected by Greta, and I used this to suggest to him to take the train rather than fly when he travels to London, which happens from time to time. He was quite receptive to the idea, and it turns out travel time is roughly the same door to door, however the train price is something like double. In order to get the same price, he has to order the train ticket 60 or 90 days in advance, which he can't do as his business is quite hectic. I guess some economist at the rail company thought this scheme up for solid financial reasons, but it's quite frustrating in the context of AGW, as last-minute plane tickets are always more competitive than the train.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
« Reply #62 on: July 31, 2019, 06:44:42 PM »

I've no doubt that the above is the first solar train, but a wind powered light rail system has been running in Alberta (of all places) for a few years.

No link but I believe it carries commuters about in Edmonton.
Terry

blumenkraft

« Reply #63 on: July 31, 2019, 07:00:05 PM »

Are you serious?

If so, don't you think you could save CO2 by not having the need to build an infrastructure to provide the train with power? Do you know there are efficiency gains by not having the need to transport power over a distance?

When every train would be solar-powered (which is obviously possible, as shown in the video), this would be a huge efficiency gain and therefore less CO2 emissions. How is this not a good thing?

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
« Reply #64 on: July 31, 2019, 07:01:24 PM »
My wife's brother lives in northwestern Germany and flies all over the world for business. Recently he has been quite affected by Greta, and I used this to suggest to him to take the train rather than fly when he travels to London, which happens from time to time. He was quite receptive to the idea, and it turns out travel time is roughly the same door to door, however the train price is something like double. In order to get the same price, he has to order the train ticket 60 or 90 days in advance, which he can't do as his business is quite hectic. I guess some economist at the rail company thought this scheme up for solid financial reasons, but it's quite frustrating in the context of AGW, as last-minute plane tickets are always more competitive than the train.
Well, I ordered the tikets about 45 days in advance. Even for non business reason, a small city trip, this is quite a lot in advance. 15 days ago, the school year was not over and only the main part of the holidays was booked. The only reason why we go now to London is the Brexit. A no deal could make future travels more complicated.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2019, 03:34:49 AM »
 :o

Japanese Railway Monorail Track Changing Mechanism | Japanese Railroads | Osaka Monorail | JR pass-1 - YouTube

大阪モノレール 万博記念公園駅 分岐器 - YouTube

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #66 on: August 23, 2019, 02:54:53 AM »
EUROPE REVIVES NIGHT TRAINS — TO FIGHT CLIMATE CHANGE
https://www.ozy.com/fast-forward/europe-revives-night-trains-to-fight-climate-change/95904
Arnaud Wieclawski wanted to visit his girlfriend in Italy last year. But the Belgian faced a problem: There was no real alternative to a plane ride, which the ecologically minded Wieclawski wanted to avoid because of the carbon footprint of flying. So he turned his dilemma — a choice between love and the climate — into activism. He co-founded Back on Track Belgium, a collective arguing for the reintroduction of a transportation solution that Europe has turned its back on: night trains.

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #67 on: August 23, 2019, 04:04:27 AM »

Are you serious?

If so, don't you think you could save CO2 by not having the need to build an infrastructure to provide the train with power? Do you know there are efficiency gains by not having the need to transport power over a distance?

When every train would be solar-powered (which is obviously possible, as shown in the video), this would be a huge efficiency gain and therefore less CO2 emissions. How is this not a good thing?

I watched the video, some interesting points:
- The 6.5 KW of solar panels on the train is enough only to trickle charge
- The 30KW of panels on the station is what really charges the train (done twice a day to charge the batteries)
- The track is only 3km long, and its pretty flat!
- As stated in the video, the location has nearly perfect weather conditions for solar power

- The actual narrator accepts that it would make sense for most (nearly all?) operators to run a third rail and get energy from the grid.

This is like claiming we will soon be flying in planes running on solar panels because of those experimental ultra-light one man planes that have done so.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2019, 11:57:06 PM »
Electrical trains & trolleys have been around longer than the grid. ;)
Transporting electricity by way of 3d rail or overhead catenary is much more efficient than charging, transporting and discharging (heavy) batteries.
PV is a fair weather friend. Rather than vertically integrating railroads so they provide their own (solar) power, why not GreenWrap them by having them purchase only solar, wind or renewable power?
Terry

nanning

• Nilas ice
  • 0Kg CO₂, 37 KWh/wk,125L H₂O/wk, No offspring
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 273
  • Likes Given: 23170
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2019, 04:55:11 AM »
In the Netherlands all the electric trains already run on sustainable electricity since 2017:
https://www.ns.nl/en/about-ns/sustainability/energy
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning
Why do you keep accumulating stuff?

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2019, 05:10:59 AM »
In the Netherlands all the electric trains already run on sustainable electricity since 2017:
https://www.ns.nl/en/about-ns/sustainability/energy

That's something that could should be emulated.
Free E-bus, heavily subsidized E-Trains & inexpensive HSRail.

All powered with clean electricity.
Terry

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2019, 08:07:16 AM »
   Rail line in Hampshire is world's first to be powered by solar farm

Pilot scheme on Network Rail’s Wessex route could pave way for direct powering of trains

Great initiative I think. Especially effective in sunny countries.
I wonder what they'll do when it snows. Battery backup? Use the grid?

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/aug/22/rail-line-in-hampshire-is-worlds-first-to-be-powered-by-solar-farm

Quotes:
Leo Murray, the director of Riding Sunbeams, said future projects across the UK could be community-owned, and pay back benefits to local community funds. By the end of 2020, Riding Sunbeams hopes to build and connect the world’s first-ever full-scale community- and commuter-owned solar farm to UK railways.

Murray said the railways will be able to cut their running costs and benefit local communities while playing a part in tackling the climate crisis. “Matchmaking the UK’s biggest electricity user, the railways, with the nation’s favourite energy source, solar power, looks like the start of the perfect relationship.”

Murray added that the same model could be used across the world, particularly in sunny countries in South America, and India.

India is already home to 250 trains powered by solar panels attached directly to the roof of the train, but it plans to develop its own trackside solar farms because the weight of the panels means their trains need more energy than usual.

Indian Railways, the country’s single largest energy consumer, said last month it hoped to become the world’s first 100% “green” railway network in 10 years’ time by installing 30GW of solar generation capacity on some of its 51,000 hectares of vacant land.

edit:added bottom bolding
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 06:21:09 PM by nanning »
"It is preoccupation with possessions, more than anything else, that prevents us from living freely and nobly" - Bertrand Russell
"It is preoccupation with what other people from your groups think of you, that prevents you from living freely and nobly" - Nanning

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2019, 12:30:14 PM »
New rider data shows how public transit reduces greenhouse gas and pollutant emissions

So, with that data, the researchers could quantify the emissions produced and miles traveled of the transit systems (TRAX light rail uses electricity produced outside the Wasatch Front, hence the emissions aren't in Salt Lake's air) and balance that with the miles traveled by passengers and the estimated amount of car travel avoided by riding transit.

On weekdays during rush hours, and in densely populated areas, the balance was clearly on the side of reduced emissions. "That tapers off significantly during the evening hours, on the outskirts of the city, and definitely during the weekends," Mendoza says. In those situations, the number of passengers and how far they rode transit did not offset certain criteria pollutant emissions. (Criteria pollutants are six common air pollutants that the EPA sets standards for through the Clean Air Act.)

For transit to improve its regional reduction in emissions, particularly PM2.5 and NOx, the following strategies, alone or in combination, could be employed: more daily riders per trip, more clean-fuel buses and train cars and/or fewer low-ridership trips

The current study looks at the bus and train fleet as they are now, with some UTA buses around 20 years old and FrontRunner trains whose engines are rated a Tier 0+ on a 0-4 scale of how clean a locomotive's emissions are (Tier 4 is the cleanest; UTA is scheduled to receive funds programmed through the Metropolitan Planning Organizations to upgrade FrontRunner locomotives to Tier 2+). So, Mendoza and his colleagues envisioned the future.

"What if we upgrade all these buses, some of them from 1996 or so?" Mendoza says. "They emit a significantly larger amount than the newer buses, which are 2013 and newer."

What if, they asked, UTA upgraded their buses to only 2010 models and newer, fueled by either natural gas or clean diesel? And what if the FrontRunner engines were upgraded to Tier 3?

Emissions of some pollutants would drop by 50%, and some by up to 75%, they found.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/08/190826143407.htm
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2019, 02:08:23 PM »
New rider data shows how public transit reduces greenhouse gas and pollutant emissions

Worthwhile study.  But any “upgrades” to busses should include electric vehicles, over natgas or ‘clean diesel.’

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2019, 04:08:45 PM »
Ahreed Sig. E-Buses & E-Trains/Trams need to be examined. Also Salt Lake City is far from a typical NA City.  Huge % of practicing Mormons whose lifestyle is almost uniquely different.

It's a start
Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 28, 2019, 02:51:09 PM »
U.S.: Phoenix, Arizona
Alissa Walker (@awalkerinLA)8/27/19, 11:51 PM
Phoenix just said yes to the future. For those following the Koch-backed ballot measure to kill light rail in the city, Prop 105 is going down in flames

Proposition 105: Phoenix voters on track to continue light rail extensions
        https://amp.azcentral.com/amp/2088650001
https://twitter.com/awalkerinla/status/1166559011359133696

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 29, 2019, 05:00:55 AM »
^^
Perhaps without MCcain Republican influence in Arizona will wane? :)

Light Rail in Phoenix is a big step forward.
Terry

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2019, 08:25:07 PM »
Deutsche Bahn sees big windfall from climate change package
https://www.todayonline.com/world/deutsche-bahn-sees-big-windfall-climate-change-package
Germany's Deutsche Bahn [DBN.UL] expects the government's 50 billion euro climate change package to generate the railway company's biggest growth spurt in its 180-year history, the state-owned firm's boss said on Sunday.

In a telephone press conference, Richard Lutz said the measures announced on Friday, including a cut in value-added tax (VAT) on train tickets, would give it an additional 20 billion euros in revenue by 2030.

Although the package, in response to growing public concern about the impact of climate change, disappointed climate activists, individual measures such as surcharges on domestic flights and the VAT cut are expected to have an impact on the companies concerned.
Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/world/deutsche-bahn-sees-big-windfall-climate-change-package

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2019, 05:35:00 PM »
Why are roads and tracks the width they are today?  Because history.
https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1177631604186996737.html

sesyf

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 85
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2019, 09:45:06 PM »
Weeellll... there are other opinions or discussins on the matter

https://www.truthorfiction.com/railwidth/

In Britain there were several rail gauges in use so it would be interesting to have some more rigorous information why this specific gauge was selected.

I intended to add something about british gauges but my browser has a hiccup so perhaps later if more discussion is warranted...

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2019, 09:52:04 PM »
Feel free to add more information if you wish.  I took the original post to be conversational in nature, not a definitive answer. :)

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2019, 11:19:55 PM »
Weeellll... there are other opinions or discussins on the matter

https://www.truthorfiction.com/railwidth/

In Britain there were several rail gauges in use so it would be interesting to have some more rigorous information why this specific gauge was selected.

I intended to add something about british gauges but my browser has a hiccup so perhaps later if more discussion is warranted...
I think Wikipedia has got it nailed down  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard-gauge_railway
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2020, 01:31:35 AM »
Alstom to acquire Bombardier's Rail Business for USD 7.6 billion
The acquisition of Bombardier’s rail business by Alstom would mark the latest attempt by some of the world’s biggest train makers to counter growing competition from China. Earlier in 2017, Bombardier held talks to combine its rail operations with its competitor Siemens AG but Siemens AG suddenly opted to pursue a deal with Alstom, which was ultimately failed later.

On another side, European planemaker Airbus has also reached a deal to buy the remaining stake of Bombardier in the A220 passenger jet program.

The deal signals Bombardier’s exit from commercial aviation by transferring its remaining interest in Airbus Canada to the main parent Airbus SE company and the government of the Canadian state of Quebec”, reported Reuters.
https://www.urbantransportnews.com/alstom-to-acquire-bombardiers-rail-business-for-usd-7-6-billion/

rboyd

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 226
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2020, 08:47:40 PM »
So another strategic Canadian industry sold off and now controlled by a French company. The usual Canadian story, including the US using dirty tricks (to block Bombardiers jets from competing with Boeing, ending up in Airbus taking over that business).

Canadian business can go back to digging up stuff, cutting stuff down, and food production for export. Then building houses etc. for the extra million immigrants every few years. If the nation had built the public transport infrastructure necessary for all the extra millions maybe Bombardier would have been more viable - although there certainly was some incompetence in their management of the transport division.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2020, 10:37:48 PM »
^^
Sad
Terry

philopek

« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2020, 11:37:00 PM »

Canadian business can go back to digging up stuff, cutting stuff down, and food production for export. Then building houses etc. for the extra million immigrants every few years. If the nation had built the public transport infrastructure necessary for all the extra millions maybe Bombardier would have been more viable - although there certainly was some incompetence in their management of the transport division.

I've seen and used many good products by Bombardie, their rotax engines were in my float plane, skidoo asn seadoo and delivered well.

That said and as it happens their trains are of mediocre quality, one could say"crap"even.

the Swiss who themselves have great own train manufacturers like "Stadler Rail" are complaining for years and many jokes circulate about those trains by Bombardier that were purchased for their lower pricing (that was more expensive at the end) and most probably some people were bribed. Their surname ist "Schüttel-Zug" means shaking train and of course that's only one of the most prominent flaws.

But as i said beforehand, many of their products are top-notch and delivered good services to me over a wide range of use cases.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 12:08:49 AM by philopek »

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2020, 07:36:43 AM »

NeilT

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 386
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2020, 11:51:34 AM »
So another strategic Canadian industry sold off and now controlled by a French company.

An inevitable  consequence  of CETA.  France and Germany have been doing this in the UK for decades because of our non protective model.

The French incursion into our services by heavily nationalised industries has been heavily criticised.
Being right too soon is socially unacceptable.

Robert A. Heinlein

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2020, 12:07:24 AM »
More cities consider free public transport:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/cities-weigh-free-public-transit-amid-rising-costs/ar-BB104Nz1

sidd

Free local transportation may be a necessary first step to ending the West's love affair with the automobile.

The link mentions the huge acceptance of free local transportation in Dunkirk France, but attributes it in part to existing infrastructure. The advantage of free bus service is that the increased ridership encourages increased spending for additional buses and routes even as the costs of providing infrastructure to handle private vehicles usage is reduced.

It's good to hear that some North American cities are at least open to the idea.
Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 27, 2020, 04:59:43 PM »
California

Long Beach Transit Adds 14 More BYD Electric Buses
While BYD is a Chinese company, these buses are built in California with the majority of the components in the vehicle coming from the US. In fact, more than 70% of the contents of the vehicle come from the US, qualifying the vehicles for the Federal Transit Administration’s “Buy America” program.
Los Angeles just went all in on electric buses with a massive new order for 130 BYD K7M buses. That is simply staggering and speaks to the quality of the buses and the eagerness of some progressive transit authorities to convert their fleets to lower cost, zero tailpipe emission electric buses.
https://cleantechnica.com/2020/02/26/long-beach-transit-adds-14-more-byd-electric-buses/

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 27, 2020, 06:40:19 PM »
^^
Ramen!!

Toronto has been adding to their electrified bus fleet and Kitchener/Waterloo's new light rail/trolley lines are proving popular.
Terry

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2020, 07:53:23 PM »
U.S.

William J. Flynn, 66, will succeed Richard Anderson, 65, as Amtrak’s chief executive on April 15, the company announced on Monday. Mr. Flynn is the chairman and former chief executive of Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings, which operates cargo airlines and other airfreight businesses.

Amtrak, Struggling to Keep Trains Running, Chooses a New Leader
Mr. Flynn would be the third veteran executive from the transportation industry to run Amtrak in the last three years. He would step in as Amtrak’s finances have been improving but its political fortunes remain turbulent.

The change will come as Amtrak struggles to keep trains running through the New York region on tracks, bridges and in tunnels that are in desperate need of repair and upgrades. Amtrak owns Pennsylvania Station in Manhattan and the tunnels connected to it that cross under the Hudson River. That pair of single-track tunnels poses one of the greatest threats to Amtrak’s service and to transit in the metropolitan area and throughout the Northeast. Built in the early years of the 20th century, the tunnels had already exceeded their expected life span when Hurricane Sandy flooded them with salt water in 2012.

That deluge accelerated their deterioration, leading to more urgent demands from Amtrak officials for federal funding of a new pair of tunnels. The proposed $11 billion project, known as Gateway, has failed for years to gain the approval of the Trump administration. ...
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/02/nyregion/amtrak-ceo-william-flynn.html

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 03, 2020, 09:48:17 PM »
If the government refuses to invest in passenger rail services, changing the name on the door of the feckless leader won't help.

We spend on everything from bike lanes to belt loops and 4 level overpasses, but expect passenger rail to be self funding.

Until someone in power decides that spending on mass transportation is a necessity we can expect what's left of the existing infrastructure to crumble.

In the 1930's Ford, GM, Standard Oil, and Firestone set out to do battle with municipal streetcar companies.
They won - at a terrible cost to the environment, frayed nerves, and to the shaded parks that became crowded parking lots.

Today I followed a 4 car trolley into Kitchener & watched as passengers got on and off as we made our way across the city. It was quiet, made good time, and the streets were free of congestion. Most of the passengers were engaged in conversation while some seemed absorbed in reading a book or engaging with their cell phone. No honking, racing engines, or traffic jams were evident, even during the 4 O'clock rush hour. This was the first time that there was excess parking near my doctors office. The light rail system is (finally) being widely used.

We need to rejoin the battle that our grandparents lost.
Terry

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2020, 07:24:20 AM »
Very interesting history information and view Terry. How fast the context is forgotten. Thank you.

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2020, 09:53:35 PM »
U.S.
Amtrak cancels nonstop Acela (“high-speed”) train service between Washington DC and New York City due to coronavirus
The Acela nonstop service will be temporarily suspended starting Tuesday, March 10 until Tuesday, May 26.
Amtrak said it would remove train cars or cancel trains altogether when other alternatives are available for customers. The company cited reduced demand for train service. ...
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/07/amtrak-cancels-nonstop-acela-service-between-dc-nyc-due-to-coronavirus.html

Large-vehicle public transport does present a higher risk of communicable disease transmission than small-vehicle private transportation. 

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2020, 05:26:19 PM »
U.S. passenger rail service
Amtrak is ending daily service to hundreds of stations. Blame the coronavirus pandemic, the railroad says
While the company’s plan to slash long-distance daily service was not a surprise, some rail advocates said Amtrak is wrong to reduce daily service to communities across the country where the train is the only transportation option. Besides, they said, those routes saw the smallest declines in ridership during the pandemic. According to Amtrak, demand for its long-distance service is down by 70 percent.

“Let’s be clear: this is penny-wise and pound-foolish,” Jim Mathews, president and chief executive of the Rail Passengers Association, said in a statement. “The long-distance services declined the least among Amtrak’s three business lines during the coronavirus-induced slowdown, and its services remain essential to the hundreds of small communities across the United States with fewer options than Philadelphia or Boston or New York City.”

Mathews estimates that as many as 461 stations outside the Northeast Corridor will lose daily service. He said Amtrak could be “setting itself up for failure by losing operating slots on host railroads, losing employees it will need to restore service and possibly losing the rolling stock as well.”
Amtrak said last month that it needs nearly $1.5 billion in supplemental funding from the federal government to maintain “minimum service levels,” anticipating ridership will not recover to pre-pandemic levels in fiscal 2021. Even with the supplemental funding, the company said, it would need to cut service and personnel to stay afloat.

Amtrak estimates that ridership in the next fiscal year may drop to 16 million, or roughly 50 percent of pre-pandemic levels.

Ridership was down 95 percent during the height of the pandemic, and the Northeast Corridor, which had several coronavirus hot spots, was hit especially hard. Even as states begin to reopen, ridership remains down 90 percent. ...
https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/amtrak-is-ending-daily-service-to-hundreds-of-stations-blame-the-coronavirus-pandemic-the-railroad-says/ar-BB15zVal

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #96 on: June 20, 2020, 10:07:42 PM »
Amtrack not accepting cash.
My sister , whose carbon footprint is far smaller than any other human I know , has to travel by public transportation. She has no credit , credit card, I-phone or PayPal or drivers license . She now is forced to use metrolink because amtrack will not take her cash. Metro link connections mean she is forced to “ camp out “ overnight in places most of us wouldn’t walk at night because there are no other options for her to travel from the desert into the city.
 I like a little adventure in my travels but Poverty in this country is getting even harder than just traveling second class.
 If you happen to have mental issues the cops aren’t usually help , and you are likely poor and somehow need to navigate the world when cash isn’t accepted ? She stays here when winter sets in and spends summers in the Sierra.
 I am going to raise some stink with Amtrack but public transport in large parts of this country does not exist. Amtrack seems perpetually to have financial problems. My wife uses Amtrack and Uber makes connections easier but modern technology seems to distance the underprivileged . Credit cards and
I-phones are exclusionary to part of our population.

https://week.com/2020/03/27/amtrak-stops-taking-cash-amid-covid-19-outbreak/

nanning

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 21, 2020, 05:17:09 AM »
I feel for your sister Bruce. My advice is: Move out of the U.S.A., leave, now you still can, to a better society. I moved out of the big city to a village. That was very expensive for me but I am glad my mother could lend me some money. It felt like fleeing and I am now in a much better society/municipality.
I don't know if moving is possible for your sister because of costs/passport etc.

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #98 on: June 21, 2020, 07:34:51 AM »
Off topic but there are no or very few pay phones anymore. Again you have to pay for technology or fall farther into incommunicado. Snail mail still works but considering the trend I wonder how long until the post offices disappear ?
 Nanning, If you have money you can leave but I don’t think it is an option for the very poor. 
Homelessness is a problem for society , no pay phones, no showers, or now no cash trains. The boot on the neck is systemic. 

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 21, 2020, 03:18:32 PM »
Bruce, I’m sure you have thought of this, but will a debit card work?  Many banks will issue a card that will allow businesses to access your account electronically, and keeping even a small balance is acceptable.  Some even work like a credit card if swiped that way.