Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Satellite Resources  (Read 5377 times)

LDorey

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 30
Satellite Resources
« on: July 24, 2017, 04:06:12 PM »
Hi,

Just posting this as a FYI here since it seemed appropriate. Poking around the forums for the last couple years one thing that I haven't seen is a ton of info dedicated to home brew data analysis of satellite imagery, There is the link page from Neven's site, but most of those are to very specific graphs / images. But If you want to run any of your own analysis then there are less clear options.

Lately I've been fiddling with the incoming info from the ESA Sentinel Satillites via the Copernicus Access, and it's pretty cool.

Via the Copernicus Website you can download Data from the Sentinel satellites swaths, the search interface isn't really the most user friendly, but there is a lot of data, usually available as it is processed by the ground stations. They provide the data in a zip file with a XML descriptor that allows it to the loaded into the freely available toolbox programs they offer. Depending on the satellite and it's on-board capabilities and the mode it was in when It captured the data it provides anywhere from 3 and upwards 50 layers each indicating a different wave length, cloud mask, reliability etc. 

Here is the hub for the Data Access
https://scihub.copernicus.eu/

Here are toolboxes that let you play with the image swaths.
https://sentinel.esa.int/web/sentinel/toolboxes

There are a ton of FAQ's on the ESA websites on how to work the tools etc. and detailed descriptions of the various satellites and their on-board sensors.

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
Re: Satellite Resources
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 06:51:56 PM »
a little plea for help .. could someone post a Worldview modis 367 image that can be clicked through on as I have no idea how to make necessary changes .. I have had no lessons in computing so this is my usual means of expanding my resources .. b.c.
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 07:02:14 PM »
could someone post a Worldview modis 367 image that can be clicked through on

Here's one I prepared earlier:

https://go.nasa.gov/2JGeOmL

Note that is for 2012!
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

be cause

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1012
  • Likes Given: 1034
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 08:41:23 PM »
Cheers Jim .. you're an angel ! :)
Conflict is the root of all evil , for being blind it does not see whom it attacks . Yet it always attacks the Son Of God , and the Son of God is you .

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2019, 08:37:52 AM »
No, J.

This is there at least since i'm using the site ca. mid-2018.