Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Travel: Advice/Recommendations for Iceland and London  (Read 3745 times)

CraigsIsland

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 25
Travel: Advice/Recommendations for Iceland and London
« on: July 28, 2017, 11:29:13 PM »
Hello all,

I'll be going on a weeks vacation to Iceland and another week in London. I have some things planned out, but I'm curious if there's any recommendations to be had from users here. I always like learning more about historical perspectives and of course, on climate change contexts. - e.g. technology implementations etc.

Craig

johnm33

Re: Travel: Advice/Recommendations for Iceland and London
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 04:07:18 PM »
In London you could do worse than take one or two of the guided walks around the city, some evening some at the weekend. They're mostly done by enthusiasts with quite a deep knowledge, and they vary from the founding to almost current.

CraigsIsland

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2017, 08:07:50 PM »
In London you could do worse than take one or two of the guided walks around the city, some evening some at the weekend. They're mostly done by enthusiasts with quite a deep knowledge, and they vary from the founding to almost current.

Oh wow this sounds like a great idea- thanks!

vigilius

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 09:20:48 AM »
In London be sure to allow at least a half day for the Borough Market:

http://boroughmarket.org.uk/

And just across the way from the market proper, there's Neal's Yard- you can get taster portions of some very fine cheese-

https://www.nealsyarddairy.co.uk/

Bring cash, many of the small vendors are very cash oriented, at least they were when I was there a couple years back.

The walking tours are a good bet OTOH the quality sorta varies, if you are willing to spend a bit more I always recommend:

https://www.contexttravel.com/cities/london

CraigsIsland

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 11:39:04 PM »
The wife will be very pleased with these recommendations! We were looking for markets and Borough did not come up - so hat tip to you :)

Cheese? Where? :)

awesome stuff - thanks

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 01:16:45 AM »
Some friends of mine rented a car, camped and did day hiking trips in Iceland last year, so got to see lots of that islands beauty.  There is a place you can walk along the the Mid-Atlantic Rift (it isn't erupting right there right now). 

(I remember a June 21st snow storm when I visited in 1968.  Icelandic sweaters are beautiful!)
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

CraigsIsland

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 12:43:55 AM »
Some friends of mine rented a car, camped and did day hiking trips in Iceland last year, so got to see lots of that islands beauty.  There is a place you can walk along the the Mid-Atlantic Rift (it isn't erupting right there right now). 

(I remember a June 21st snow storm when I visited in 1968.  Icelandic sweaters are beautiful!)

There's a lot of new things I'll be experiencing with Iceland and hoping the sights we've selected are not really "touristy" and it's peaceful. We're renting a car (super expensive in my American eyes) and doing hotels/b and b's.

Yeah the closest analog I can think of for places I've actually been is the big island of Hawaii. Of course, I think Iceland has a lot more biodiversity and uniqueness.

First time seeing and being inside glaciers! I've been around volcanoes but seeing the biodiversity around Iceland will be fascinating to compare against.

1 month to go and finalizing the itinerary. Electic mix. I might post a few pictures and the itinerary after I get back. I've been hesitant about sharing too much though; appears that social postings of trips are having a pretty adverse impact on certain locales.