Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Peak Oil and Climate Change  (Read 5640 times)

Bruce Steele

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Peak Oil and Climate Change
« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2019, 12:50:42 AM »
Oren, That last bit about the elite “20%” who would sell us austerity to maintain their lifestyle has a note of truth in it however.  Economically we are of course the 20% as is Greer, his readers and most everyone in Europe and the U.S.  Populism without someone else to step on is a no starter so we invent enemies and surprise surprise it is those damned elites !  A familiar ring, and wait until we do hit a bad spot in the growth model. 

Edited , don’t forward bad thoughts.reminder to self.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 03:10:14 AM by Bruce Steele »

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 163
  • Likes Given: 301
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2019, 05:33:44 AM »
oren wrote: "...denial in disguise..."

That's why I've long called him a 'crypto-denialist'
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

sidd

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 335
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2019, 06:59:49 AM »
Greer may be many things, but i do not think he is a climate denialist.

As to:

"The shrill claims of impending doom, the insistence that we’re in a climate emergency and everyone has to accept drastic restrictions that climate change activists show no trace of willingness to embrace in their own lives, make perfect sense if the game plan is to buffalo most of the people in the world’s industrial countries into accepting a sharply lower standard of living “for the planet,” so that the upper twenty per cent or so can maintain their current lifestyles unchanged."

he might find more traction replacing "twenty per cent" by "0.1 per cent"

He seems quite impressed by Spengler and various mystics like Crowley. If you have the patience to read his fiction (although i would not recommend it) he spells out his preferred futures. They seem about as simplistic as Heinein's though less readable. Not that Heinlein is very readable ...

That said, he did predict Trump victory about a year in advance. I suppose even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then.

sidd

Tom_Mazanec

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 328
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2019, 01:08:44 PM »
He is no denier, his novel about America half a millennium from now has a seaport at Nashville.
His point is that “ Do as I say, not as I do” is a nonstarter at getting people to change their behavior.
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

etienne

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2019, 09:04:42 PM »
Maybe he is not a denier, but he minimises risks in a way that I can't agree with. His little ice age theory that would have happend because of trees in excess in the Americas also gives false hopes.
He is also wrong when he says that climates activists just want to be able to continue their oil consumption. Many make a real effort to reduce their carbon footprint.
I also believe that the very rich are rich because of our consumption, if we reduce our needs, it would reduce their incomes, so they have no interest in the degrowth concept.

Tom_Mazanec

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 328
  • Likes Given: 55
« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2019, 04:49:44 PM »
Many signs of peak oil and decline
Posted on November 1, 2019 by energyskeptic
http://energyskeptic.com/2019/failing-oil-and-gas-companies-a-sign-of-peak-oil/
Recently the IEA 2018 World Energy Outlook predicted an oil crunch could happen as soon as 2023.  Oil supermajors are expected to have 10 years of reserve life or more, Shell is down to just 8 years.
Political shortages are as big a problem as geological depletion. At least 90% of remaining global oil is in government hands, especially Saudi Arabia and other countries in the middle east that vulnerable to war, drought, and political instability.
And in 2018, the U.S. accounted for 98% of global oil production growth and since 2008, the U.S. accounted for 73.2% of the global increase in production (see Rapier below).   What really matters is peak diesel, which I explained in “When trucks stop running”, and fracked oil has very little diesel, much of it is only good for plastics, and yet America may well be the last gasp of the oil age if production isn’t going up elsewhere.
And you can't do most transportation with other energy sources, at least until EVs using renewable energy comes fully on line, which is likely to take the whole decade at least.
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS