Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Biden’s Presidency  (Read 12343 times)

Rodius

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 348
  • Likes Given: 17
Re: Biden’s Presidency
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2021, 03:05:27 PM »
This is a pretty hypocritical framing of the story from Biden and co.

How anyone can think that minors in cages is okay is beyond me.
This is a outrage that is doubly worse because the US pretends to set the standards of global behaviour and are super critical of other countries (especially China) who do the same exactly bloody thing.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-cages/fact-check-photos-of-children-in-cages-dont-show-migrant-kids-in-u-s-idUSKBN24117B

THank you for the article.
Yes, there are images of artists highlighting how the US put kids into cages and they were used as if they were real.

Oddly enough, a link within the article your shared has this......
https://www.reuters.com/video/watch/dhs-secretary-grilled-over-cages-id522680112

In short, the people in the video are talking about how the US is putting kids into cages.
Go figure......

nadir

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 32
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #201 on: March 29, 2021, 01:46:28 AM »
Gosh, I wish I had a tenth of GG’s perception & articulation to respond to Biden’s cabinet members’ platitudes with *very* ugly truths condensed in a very short Twitter. GG remains being one of the few free and ballsy journalists out there and that’s why he is so hated and vilified, and why we should decisively support people like him.

He’s on the tight rope... being the target from liberals and their cancel-culture mobs to dangerous Bolsonaro mafia elements... if I was a believer I’d pray for his well-being.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 02:27:24 PM by nadir »

nadir

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: April 02, 2021, 04:40:36 PM »
This is Biden’s way of calling an entire country “a sh*thole”.
This was tweeted by the US Embassy Haiti a couple of days ago.

(BTW is he starting to get an orange tan too?)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 04:46:56 PM by nadir »

LeftyLarry

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #203 on: April 02, 2021, 10:49:41 PM »
This is a pretty hypocritical framing of the story from Biden and co.

How anyone can think that minors in cages is okay is beyond me.
This is a outrage that is doubly worse because the US pretends to set the standards of global behaviour and are super critical of other countries (especially China) who do the same exactly bloody thing.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-factcheck-cages/fact-check-photos-of-children-in-cages-dont-show-migrant-kids-in-u-s-idUSKBN24117B

THank you for the article.
Yes, there are images of artists highlighting how the US put kids into cages and they were used as if they were real.

Oddly enough, a link within the article your shared has this......
https://www.reuters.com/video/watch/dhs-secretary-grilled-over-cages-id522680112

In short, the people in the video are talking about how the US is putting kids into cages.
Go figure......

I’m unclear, are these kids in the cages, the same ones who are being giving schooling with in person teachers during Covid , while American kids are being taught remotely on computers or are those different kids in cages?

https://nypost.com/2021/03/30/migrant-kids-get-in-person-school-while-kids-are-on-spring-break/

Ranman99

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 5
Randy Fitton

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 319
« Reply #205 on: April 22, 2021, 02:21:44 PM »
Yes promises are easy this though is still more than expected ?

President Biden will commit the United States to cutting emissions by half by the end of the decade at a virtual Earth Day summit. Some 40 world leaders, including from China and Russia, will address the conference.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2021/04/22/us/biden-earth-day-climate-summit

The Walrus

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #206 on: April 22, 2021, 02:42:26 PM »

President Biden will commit the United States to cutting emissions by half by the end of the decade at a virtual Earth Day summit. Some 40 world leaders, including from China and Russia, will address the conference.

We shall see if the talk is accompanied by anything substantive.

nadir

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 25, 2021, 11:39:32 AM »

It shouldn’t be so difficult, with ambitious plans in place, to even cut them by 80%. Just use a 0.1% of arid, low environmental value desert lands in the US for solar panels and aggressively subsidize electric vehicles.

A pity the oil industry will be lobbying to slow down this transition, and so much tax money goes to Defense... and so and so and so.

Biden loves empty promises and platitudes, I’ll believe it when I see a plan with the right specific actions.

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
  • Earth will survive AGW...but will Homo sapiens?
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 638
  • Likes Given: 665
« Reply #208 on: April 25, 2021, 07:36:44 PM »
Biden loves empty promises and platitudes, I’ll believe it when I see a plan with the right specific actions.
Plans are cheap. I'll believe it when I see the plan implemented.
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

The Walrus

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 138
« Reply #209 on: April 25, 2021, 08:57:32 PM »

It shouldn’t be so difficult, with ambitious plans in place, to even cut them by 80%. Just use a 0.1% of arid, low environmental value desert lands in the US for solar panels and aggressively subsidize electric vehicles.

A pity the oil industry will be lobbying to slow down this transition, and so much tax money goes to Defense... and so and so and so.

Even if those proposals were to be implemented, it would take several years before EV production could replace IC vehicles.  Then, the average lifetime of a current vehicle is 12 years, so it would be another decade before EVs dominate the roads.  With aggressive plans, we may be able to make an almost entirely green electric grid, but what about heating?  That is predominantly natural gas, with some wood, coal and propane sprinkled throughout?

nadir

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2021, 04:31:51 AM »

Even if those proposals were to be implemented, it would take several years before EV production could replace IC vehicles.  Then, the average lifetime of a current vehicle is 12 years, so it would be another decade before EVs dominate the roads.  With aggressive plans, we may be able to make an almost entirely green electric grid, but what about heating?  That is predominantly natural gas, with some wood, coal and propane sprinkled throughout?

Electric heating is a pretty easy technology to transition to.
But I agree with you in that the implementation would take much longer than what I implied. I guess more reason to expedite very specific and aggressive policies...

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 319
« Reply #211 on: May 01, 2021, 03:01:29 PM »
This is the Biden Presidency

He covers many topics, hopefully he can continue to deliver.

Also noticed at 1:08:40 he talks to Bernie after his speach. It looks much more a warm meeting of allies than adversaries.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 826
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #212 on: May 05, 2021, 02:18:02 AM »
Hedges at scheerpost is sceptical:

"Biden is the epitome of the empty, amoral creature produced by our system of legalized bribery. "

"The grinding machinery of predatory capitalism, and the sadism that defines it, will poison the society as mercilessly under Biden as it did when Donald Trump was conducting his Twitter presidency."

"The only way out for most Americans is to serve, as Biden does, the sadistic machine."

"Corporate capitalism, which has perverted the values of American society to commodify its every aspect, including human beings and the natural world, insists that the dictates of the market should govern our existence, a belief infused with sadism. "

"We will extract ourselves from this culture of sadism the way the dispossessed extracted themselves from the stranglehold of crony capitalism during the Great Depression, by organizing, protesting and disrupting the system until the ruling elites are forced to grant a measure of social and economic justice."

" It is a game of fear. And until we make them afraid, until a terrified Joe Biden and the oligarchs he serves look out on a sea of pitchforks, we will not blunt the culture of sadism they have engineered."

https://scheerpost.com/2021/05/03/hedges-dont-be-fooled-by-joe-biden/

sidd