Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Hurricane energy and Arctic sea ice  (Read 4841 times)

cscotts

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Hurricane energy and Arctic sea ice
« on: September 14, 2017, 11:22:34 PM »
Hi all, I'm a total newcomer but am reading as much as I can! Forgive me if this is a stupid question.

In the past I have read that hurricanes act as, in essence, a natural heat pump that redistributes large amounts of heat energy from lower latitudes to higher latitudes.

Disregarding cyclonic storms that exist around the Arctic, I'm curious if there are any discernible _direct_ impacts from busy Atlantic hurricane seasons (higher season ACE) or even from large individual storms on the concurrent melt or freeze conditions in the Arctic? I guess what I'm wondering about is not so much the direct impact of, e.g., cyclonic winds on ice, but the redistribution of temperature/energy due to Atlantic hurricanes (or Pacific typhoons).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 08:27:04 AM by Neven »

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
Re: Hurricane energy and Arctic sea ice
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 08:32:02 AM »
Welcome to the forum, cscotts (I'll release your profile in a minute). I've modified the title so this can be a stand-alone thread, as I could only find threads that indirectly deal with this question. Like this one for instance:

Arctic Sea Ice Collapse Has Destabilized the Stratospheric Circulation

By now we've seen how a series of Atlantic storms may have influenced the outcome of this melting season, by dumping large amounts of snow on the ice pack and adjacent land masses. This took some time to melt out, which meant less absorption of solar energy, leading yet again to diminished melting momentum.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

Phil.

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 01:43:49 PM »
It'll be interesting to see what happens in a couple of weeks time as it looks like the remnants of hurricane Jose is projected to be heading into the arctic by then.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 03:03:58 PM »
It'll be interesting to see what happens in a couple of weeks time as it looks like the remnants of hurricane Jose is projected to be heading into the arctic by then.
Big fat and fairly strong Rossby waves in the North Atlantic jet stream at the moment. So..
- it could be Greenland,
-  it could be the UK as a fitting end to an odd summer. Nothing like an equinoxial gale fed with remnants of a hurricane to cheer us up.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

ANBresearcher

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • flirtlu
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 04:25:23 PM »
Hurricane season is pretty insane this year. So many big category hurricanes going on everywhere especially the Atlantic.

Alexander555

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 185
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 05:39:34 PM »
Is there any data about snowfall, let's say for the last 40 years. Because the sea is getting warmer pretty fast, and that means more moisture in the air. And more moisture could mean more snow at the right place. Did we had heavy snowstorms the last years ?