Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Why nuclear weapons should no longer be tested.  (Read 2987 times)

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 20
Why nuclear weapons should no longer be tested.
« on: September 22, 2017, 06:52:50 AM »
There is talk of North Korea testing an H-Bomb over a desolate part of the Pacific. That may be more of a demo than a test. My first thoughts upon hearing of this are in regard to the effects on the environment. Underground test are bad enough, but an open air explosion, really?!! Like we don't have enough problems.

Though curious about the open air test or demonstration, I would like to leave the thread open to cover any kind of nuclear weapons testing  and the near and far impacts.
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
Re: Why nuclear weapons should no longer be tested.
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 09:02:34 PM »
Well, I guess this thread bombed.
"....and the appointed time came for God to bring to ruin those ruining the earth." Revelation 11:18.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2017, 12:16:26 AM »
Bad, Bad, Bad.

If we can Ban the Bomb, can we Pan the Pun?

Terry

mustangchef

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2017, 12:59:32 AM »
The NK land area test site can't take another hit. I think Kim has to test elsewhere. So messed up . maybe he can nuke the plastic sludge floating in the middle of the Pacific and turn it into a big rubber ducky.
sometimes

Tigertown

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 03:14:16 AM »
The NK land area test site can't take another hit. I think Kim has to test elsewhere. So messed up . maybe he can nuke the plastic sludge floating in the middle of the Pacific and turn it into a big rubber ducky.
From what I can understand, this type of "test", atmospheric that is, has not been done since 1980. That's a good minute. And yes, they are having tremors now in the former test area without even exploding a bomb.

opensheart

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 10:41:57 PM »
As I understand it,  the radioactive fallout will be spread by air and ocean.   It will get spred out.   But not the same as diluted until its not a problem.    A radioactive particle in your lungs is not good, no matter how 'diluted' it was before you breathed in it, or how long it floated around before you breathed it in.

And each such event just adds that much more to the world.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 11:16:36 PM »
An oldie but a goodie, calls for elimination of not only testing, but of all nuclear weapons, by someone who worked at Los Alamos.

http://www.iiss.org/en/publications/survival/sections/2013-94b0/survival--global-politics-and-strategy-february-march-2013-3db7/55-1-02-doyle-a88b

The guy got fired, apparently for mentioning Israel's nukes.

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2014/09/israel-nuclear-weapons-secret-united-states/380237/

There is a directive callled WNP-136 from the Department of Energy which so frightens researchers that Paul Pilar resorted to calling them "kumquats" in his article

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/paul-pillar/israels-widely-suspected-unmentionables-11191?page=show

sidd