Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Who should be the Democratic nominee for President in 2020?  (Read 178944 times)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Who should be the Democratic nominee for President in 2020?
« Reply #300 on: June 26, 2019, 01:51:42 AM »
  The Obama rule could be reinstated by a new President on January 20, 2021 without needing new laws or comment periods.

Perhaps it's a necessary "first step" that every Democratic contender SHOULD pledge to - prior to debating the additional policy positions that each candidate will offer?

After chasing the RussiaGate rabbit for years, and having returned from the hunt as empty handed and confused as Elmer Fudd. The Democratic Candidates that hope to defeat the incumbent will need draw the voter's attention to the unforced errors and "self goals" that Team Trump has already committed.

The rejection of the Paris Accord. The unilateral decision to move the American Embassy to Jerusalem. Committing America to a Trade War with her largest supplier of manufactured goods. Threatened hot wars in the Mid-East, South America and ??. Sanctions and Tariffs against friends and enemies, (including Russia whose machinations had supposedly elected him, and under whose blackmail threat he supposedly cowers)  A Cabinet replete with The Chief Torcheress, a Convicted Drug/Arms Smuggler and even "We Know Where You're Children Are" Bolton.

If a Candidate is unable to design and run a winning campaign woven from such a strikingly venial record, perhaps he or she is simply not up to the task of running the country.

Terry

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #301 on: June 26, 2019, 02:40:52 AM »
So good to see you back Terry! 
I follow some right wing friends on Facebook and some of my right wing relatives find time to flame my liberal relatives in various public forums. There really isn't any reasoning going on between the two sides of the political spectrum . I don't know if the Internet has had similar results everywhere but counting on rational outcomes from elections with the vitriol going about is maybe wishful thinking.
We have gone stark raving nuts and we probably deserve the trump ( you'd think people would realize how foolish he makes us look ) sorry to inflict this on the rest of the world.
 I got rid of my cell phone and I wish I didn't have as clear a view into my relatives inter conflicts via the net. The Internet is a mixed blessing or a total curse. I did miss your posts and I look to this forum for some hints at sanity somewhere in the world .
Bruce

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: June 26, 2019, 09:43:44 AM »
So good to see you back Terry! 

Thanks Bruce

I've been out of touch since February, but hope to be able to fully participate again as soon as I've brought myself up to date on the forum.

Don't feel embarrassment over Trump. Here in Ontario we elected the big brother of the infamously crazy former Mayor of Toronto as our Premier (Governor), and in the upcoming Federal Election we'll be fortunate indeed if we escape from being ruled by another Harperesque Right Wing Thug.

I've been blaming the Cambridge Analytica Clones, but it's certainly possible that everyone has simply gone stark raving mad. ::)

Scratch a piggies ear for me.
Terry

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #303 on: June 27, 2019, 07:54:24 PM »
Tonight you're gonna witness a consistency gala.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #304 on: June 28, 2019, 08:29:31 AM »
After watching the debates i see that Bernie has already won significant advance. Even Dem corporate lackeys now feel the need to at least pay lip service to left wing of Democrats.

sidd

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #305 on: June 28, 2019, 09:09:14 AM »
After watching the debates i see that Bernie has already won significant advance. Even Dem corporate lackeys now feel the need to at least pay lip service to left wing of Democrats.

sidd

I had the exact same thought this morning.

Bernie has already done a lot for Americans, without even being president.

His politics, his stands, his consistency, always being on the right side of history ... this put up a political benchmark.

His performance though could have been better.

The woman who wants to put poor people into prison for no reason came out great. Meh!

The debate itself is political theatre. The worst kind of format when it comes to discussing the issues. Just another horrible display of cable-news style of BS.

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #306 on: June 29, 2019, 07:52:35 AM »
Sjursen likes Gabbard:

"the only one among an absurdly large field of candidates who has put foreign policy, specifically ending the forever wars, at the top of her presidential campaign agenda."

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-tulsi-effect-forcing-war-onto-the-democratic-agenda/

sidd

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: June 29, 2019, 11:44:11 AM »
Sjursen likes Gabbard:

"the only one among an absurdly large field of candidates who has put foreign policy, specifically ending the forever wars, at the top of her presidential campaign agenda."

https://www.theamericanconservative.com/articles/the-tulsi-effect-forcing-war-onto-the-democratic-agenda/

sidd

Wins my support!
We can't solve world wide problems without world wide co-operation,
Terry

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #308 on: June 29, 2019, 09:28:58 PM »
Democratic Voters Are HORRIBLY Misinformed About Joe Biden, Poll Finds

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #309 on: June 30, 2019, 06:06:00 PM »
@BernieSanders on Twitter:

My skeptics often accuse me of being boring, of hammering the same themes. They’re probably right. It's never made sense to me that a few people have incredible wealth and power while most have none.

Should we ever achieve justice, I promise I’ll write some new speeches.

Link >> https://mobile.twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1145013425057280000

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #310 on: July 02, 2019, 11:15:03 AM »
Joe Biden Follows Colossal Debate Failure With Bizarre 'Hoodies' Comment

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #311 on: July 02, 2019, 11:46:08 AM »
Peak stupidity:

MSNBC Guest: ‘Bernie’s Problem Is That He's Too Consistent'

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #312 on: July 03, 2019, 10:22:52 PM »
Another Bernie Healthcare Claim Proven True

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #313 on: July 04, 2019, 10:15:02 AM »
30 Years of Speeches by Bernie Sanders

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #314 on: July 07, 2019, 03:59:31 PM »
Cornel West "The Establishment In The Democratic Party IS UNRAVELING!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7KZaVnBwW8&app=desktop

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #315 on: July 09, 2019, 01:39:09 PM »
Bernie Eviscerates Trump On Twitter For Lying About Pharma Prices

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #317 on: July 12, 2019, 08:15:54 PM »
Bernie Jumps up in Early States - Democratic Primary Polls - Dem 2020 Polls - July 2019

Biden dropping fast in favorability.

Now focus on the bad cop.

b_lumenkraft

« Reply #318 on: July 13, 2019, 09:26:55 AM »
Bernie Drops Most Heartwarming GIF of 2020 Campaign

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #319 on: July 13, 2019, 07:22:04 PM »
New Republic...why we are challenging candidates to debate climate:
https://newrepublic.com/article/154416/new-republic-gizmodo-2020-climate-summit-democratic-debate

Rich

« Reply #320 on: July 17, 2019, 05:07:05 PM »
It has to be Bernie.

The guy who would break up the oligopoly of big banks, big tech and big pharma is the one who could break up the Central Arctic Basin into manageable reporting buckets.

Today the CAB represents 53% of all ice in the the Arctic. By season's end, that will soar to 75-80%.

Under Bernie's leadership, the NSIDC will be directed to break up the CAB into categories that will enable Arctic sea ice followers to understand what the fuck is going on.

Break up Big Ice.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #321 on: July 27, 2019, 07:53:21 AM »
I started this thread quite a while ago. I like Bernie, Harris, Warren and Biden. What is the best matchup with Trump? It's high time for the first woman in history to become President. However, the best candidate to go head to head against the Trumpster is Biden, IMO. Biden is a centrist, and I think he has the best shot at beating Trump.

Do I want student loan forgiveness? Yes! Do I want Medicare for all? Yes! Do I like AOC and the Squad? Absolutely! All that being said, the likelihood of both ideas coming to pass in the next four to eight years is pretty low.

It seems to me the further left the Democrats go, the further right the Republicans go. That's why i think a centrist Democrat like Biden has the best chance of winning in 2020. With one caveat! Biden is not a good campaigner and tends to shoot himself in the foot. Still, I think he's our best bet.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #322 on: July 27, 2019, 02:43:54 PM »
I started this thread quite a while ago. I like Bernie, Harris, Warren and Biden. What is the best matchup with Trump? It's high time for the first woman in history to become President. However, the best candidate to go head to head against the Trumpster is Biden, IMO. Biden is a centrist, and I think he has the best shot at beating Trump.

Do I want student loan forgiveness? Yes! Do I want Medicare for all? Yes! Do I like AOC and the Squad? Absolutely! All that being said, the likelihood of both ideas coming to pass in the next four to eight years is pretty low.

It seems to me the further left the Democrats go, the further right the Republicans go. That's why i think a centrist Democrat like Biden has the best chance of winning in 2020. With one caveat! Biden is not a good campaigner and tends to shoot himself in the foot. Still, I think he's our best bet.

I agree with you.  While many here have shown support for anyone candidate, and claim they are the best positioned to be Trump, I think that is just wishful thinking.  Is Trump disliked?  Greatly!  Is he disgusting ?  Of course!  Is he beatable?  Yes, but it takes the right candidate.  As shown in 2016, a candidate who evokes similar negative opinions, will not prevail.  Biden is much less vocal, opinionated, and obnoxious.  Hence, he is much more likable.  I think this is the way to beat Trump, not on the issues unfortunately.  With the economy firing on all cylinders, it is a disadvantage to all challengers.  His approach to foreign policy, while rather unorthodox, has yielded results.  If I were running, I would distance myself from the two issues you posted.  Medicare for all is not as bad, but it can be turned around politically with such claims as losing your personal physician and worse than Obamacare.  Neither of which are true, but turn out to be negatives among the populace.  Student loan forgiveness is a time bomb.  It is view as a giveaway to the rich, which leftist candidate can not afford.  This is not an issue that affects the poor; most cannot even afford college, and those that are in a position to attend, qualify for all sorts of aid packages, apart from loans.  But is not the biggest negative.  An estimated 44 million have outstanding student loans.  That sounds like a lot, until you compare it to the total number of graduates, who worked their way through college, joined the military, or paid off their loans in full.  They are vehemently opposed to this action.  So, I thing Biden can win as long as he stays committed to his campaign and not engage Trump in a mud-slinging affair.

Tom_Mazanec

« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 08:36:32 PM by Tom_Mazanec »

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #324 on: July 27, 2019, 09:04:20 PM »
If you are going for Biden it is just more fail. You have an option between 2 crap burgers but you could just make a better one from sane basic ingredients. But everyone is too lazy. Oh no Trump is destroying EPA because Obama buffed it. Does it ever cross your mind that it did a lot of good and all the current direction is just killing more americans. But no one focusses on that because the blah blah is more important.

Yes get Biden in there. He is nearly a saint and his son specializes in free community work.

He also loves the US people much more then his corporate masters.
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 27, 2019, 10:41:47 PM »
Would Biden be better than Trump when it comes to the environment?
Would his surviving son help him in making these decisions?
Who would fund Biden's campaign?
How many will just stay home?
Terry

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #326 on: July 27, 2019, 11:49:19 PM »
Would Biden be better than Trump when it comes to the environment?
Would his surviving son help him in making these decisions?
Who would fund Biden's campaign?
How many will just stay home?
Terry
If the economy tanks by early 2020 and unemployment is rising strongly by summer.......
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

blumenkraft

« Reply #327 on: July 28, 2019, 06:12:53 PM »
49 < 48

+5 = -5

25 = 28

Less than $200 = 0

23 minutes = 5 minutes

This is how MSNBC does maths in order to smear Sanders.

MSNBC’s Anti-Sanders Bias Is Getting Truly Ridiculous

Link >> https://www.truthdig.com/articles/msnbcs-anti-sanders-bias-is-getting-truly-ridiculous/

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 28, 2019, 07:13:13 PM »
In a similar vein my preferred is suing Google!

https://tomluongo.me/2019/07/26/gabbard-google-censorship-election/

Tulsi Gabbard claims they violated election code by:
1) suspending her Google Ad account for six hours while search traffic for her was spiking and
2) Gmail disproportionately junked her campaign emails.
This represents an intervention into her ability to speak to voters and, as such, is a violation of not only her First Amendment rights but also, more critically, campaign finance law.
Terry

philopek

« Reply #329 on: July 28, 2019, 07:59:38 PM »
In a similar vein my preferred is suing Google!

https://tomluongo.me/2019/07/26/gabbard-google-censorship-election/

Tulsi Gabbard claims they violated election code by:
1) suspending her Google Ad account for six hours while search traffic for her was spiking and
2) Gmail disproportionately junked her campaign emails.
This represents an intervention into her ability to speak to voters and, as such, is a violation of not only her First Amendment rights but also, more critically, campaign finance law.
Terry

Absolutely great, this make my day, thanks for letting us know Terry, keep things like that coming.

PP

blumenkraft

« Reply #330 on: August 01, 2019, 08:06:35 PM »
After the debates, the meme machine went hot.

Here are some excerpts:

Rich

« Reply #331 on: August 02, 2019, 12:13:58 AM »
At this point it's narrowing down to 3 candidates.

Biden, Bernie and Warren.

Harris is a formidable politician, but not enough cred.  No one else has a chance.

If Warren manages to beat Bernie in IA and NH, Bernie will drop out and go balls to the wall in support of her. No way Biden beats the combined efforts of the two of them.

Would Warren do the same for Bernie? Not so sure.

AOC is going to jump on the train at the optimal moment.

Bernie is the right choice. He is the guy who will turn up the populist heat in the White House. He is the one who wants the bully pulpit and knows how to use it.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #332 on: August 02, 2019, 12:59:41 AM »
Good analysis, Rich, but think:
Where was Trump on August 1, 2015?

Gumbercules

• NewMembers
  • New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #333 on: August 02, 2019, 01:49:25 AM »
Gabbard or Yang. They are the only non-insane ones.

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 02, 2019, 07:24:05 AM »
Hopefully when the next round of debates occur, the field will be whittled down to about six candidates. There are a lot of participants in the last two debates that really shouldn't even be there. Rich, I really like Bernie and I'm hoping that either Eliz. Warren or Bernie will be our new President. A while ago, I mentioned that Biden stood the best chance of defeating the Trumpster.

Based on his performance so far, I dont believe he deserves to be the Democratic candidate next year, and I doubt he'll win it.

That being said, I still believe that the farther left the Democratic candidate is, the farther right the Republican party will be. Even if the democrats control both houses of congress, they'll still need to compromise with the Republicans to get anything done.

The only way a candidate like Warren or Sanders could make widespread change would be if they win the general election by a landslide.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 02, 2019, 09:01:06 AM »
Apparently Tulsi hit one out of the park in the last debate. Was that the impression here?
Terry

DrTskoul

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #336 on: August 02, 2019, 12:42:45 PM »
Apparently Tulsi hit one out of the park in the last debate. Was that the impression here?
Terry

I look for more than a one-hit-wonder.....

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 02, 2019, 03:53:58 PM »
Terry

I look for more than a one-hit-wonder.....

Fair enough
There are more innings coming. :D
Terry

blumenkraft

« Reply #338 on: August 02, 2019, 04:00:31 PM »
Missing sir Sidd!

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 02, 2019, 04:05:50 PM »

blumenkraft

« Reply #340 on: August 02, 2019, 07:39:33 PM »
Detailed Maps of the Donors Powering the 2020 Democratic Campaigns

Link >> https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/08/02/us/politics/2020-democratic-fundraising.html

Rich

« Reply #341 on: August 02, 2019, 09:58:19 PM »
Terry

Tulsi knocked Harris out of the park with a withering attack on her record as CA Attorney General. Tulsi has zero shot at the nomination.

Rich

« Reply #342 on: August 02, 2019, 10:08:22 PM »
Milestone passed in the US House Democratic caucus....

A majority of the caucus now co-sponsors the Medicare For All proposal written by Congresswoman Pramila Jayapal and patterned after Sanders MFA proposal.

None of the Democratic leadership (Pekosi, Hoyer or Clyburn) or current primary front-runner Joe Biden support MFA.

The times are changing and the people are smelling oligarch blood in the water with Sanders and Warren.

Best part of the debate was Bernie slapping moderator Jake Tapper down and telling him that he was arguing GOP and Big Pharma talking points and that Big Pharma would be advertising those same points on CNN that night. (They did... LOL).

blumenkraft

« Reply #343 on: August 02, 2019, 10:19:43 PM »
The difference is, Sanders means it.

The others are paying lip service.

Rich

« Reply #344 on: August 02, 2019, 10:43:28 PM »
The difference is, Sanders means it.

The others are paying lip service.

What's your take on Warren bl?

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #345 on: August 03, 2019, 05:31:18 AM »
At this point it's narrowing down to 3 candidates.

Biden, Bernie and Warren.

Harris is a formidable politician, but not enough cred.  No one else has a chance.

If Warren manages to beat Bernie in IA and NH, Bernie will drop out and go balls to the wall in support of her. No way Biden beats the combined efforts of the two of them.

Would Warren do the same for Bernie? Not so sure.

AOC is going to jump on the train at the optimal moment.

Bernie is the right choice. He is the guy who will turn up the populist heat in the White House. He is the one who wants the bully pulpit and knows how to use it.

If Warren gets the nomination Trump is guaranteed a second term. She is the screeching embodiment of everything wrong with Hillary WITHOUT any of the positives. I would potentially actively campaign for Trump if this were to occur.

Kamala Harris is probably my favorite now, Biden is acceptable, Buttigieg is also fine. If Sanders or Warren get the nom, my decision will be easy.

blumenkraft

« Reply #346 on: August 03, 2019, 06:13:05 AM »
If Warren gets the nomination Trump is guaranteed a second term.
Kamala Harris is probably my favorite now, Biden is acceptable, Buttigieg is also fine. If Sanders or Warren get the nom, my decision will be easy.

Aren't you a republican, Bbr? And your favourite is the cop, who puts black people into prison for no reason?

It is consistent, that i have to give you. :P

budmantis

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: August 03, 2019, 06:30:02 AM »
BBR, so if Sanders or Warren get the Democratic nomination, you're going to vote for ? (Trump)???

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #348 on: August 03, 2019, 06:56:33 AM »
BBR, so if Sanders or Warren get the Democratic nomination, you're going to vote for ? (Trump)???
Probably

I didn't vote in 2016, I'm not a Republican but I am less disturbed by their rhetoric than what is coming out of the left (although both sides have very bad parts, I think the ignorance of the leftists is actually worse than that of ppl on the right)

It is like asking someone if climate change exists and if so, what they intend to do about it. The Republican idiot would at least be consistent and say it doesn't exist / nothing can be done. The Democrat would say it is awful and that OTHER PEOPLE need to reduce their consumption etc. I think the answer by the Democrat is actually worse as it indicates more narcissism / etc instead of simple ignorance.

To my eyes, Rs are generally more interested in looking after themselves, while Democrats are interested in taking from other people & forcibly redistributing money and other things for their own personal gain. To Democrats it is never about what they personally can do to help etc, it is about what can be done to make OTHER PEOPLE do XYZ so issue WHATEVER can be resolved.

blumenkraft

« Reply #349 on: August 03, 2019, 07:19:01 AM »
I am less disturbed by their rhetoric than what is coming out of the left

WOW.

We have an openly racist president with the IQ of a 5yo and you are less disturbed by him than all this chant for MFA from the left.

while Democrats are interested in taking from other people

How dare they not giving all the taxes to the super-rich, eh?

You are ignoring that you will pay the bill. This deficit is also your deficit.

See, Bbr, this is why i can't take you seriously when it comes to politics. You just repeat the FoxNews bullshit you hear all day and don't use a single brain cell of yours to scrutinise the corporate propaganda. That's so pathetic.