Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Who should be the Democratic nominee for President in 2020?  (Read 178943 times)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Who should be the Democratic nominee for President in 2020?
« Reply #400 on: August 12, 2019, 08:38:56 PM »
Warren's claim to native heritage may have helped her get into university, or get a good job, or get elected, but in the hands of Trump it dooms her candidacy.

I'ts a fatal error that will drive away Native Americans, and their supporters, and those with prejudice, and those who entered good Universities on their own merit, and those who were turned away from good Universities, and those who believe that politicians always cheat.

Is there any sector of America that approves of this?
Is there any chance that Trump won't mention this at every whistle stop?
Is there a reason that Republicans are keeping this powder dry during the Democratic primaries?

Once Trump dubbed her "Pocahontas" her chances of winning dropped to zero.
Once she took his challenge and the fatal DNA test she was cooked.
Trump isn't the brightest bulb on the tree, but when he sees a weakness he's like a bull terrier.

We need a new Great Democratic Hope, and this wannabe needs to retire before she gets herself nominated. This albatross she's wearing isn't going to fly away.
Terry

blumenkraft

« Reply #401 on: August 12, 2019, 08:41:31 PM »
I disagree.

Kat, you already disagreed when i said he will drop in the polls. Well, he dropped in the polls.  8)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 12, 2019, 08:48:23 PM »
When's the first state wide contest? Remember Jimmy Who?
Terry

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #403 on: August 12, 2019, 10:24:41 PM »
Biden can only get the nomination through massive media support and even more cheating. Terry nailed it about Warren. Only Sanders has a fighting chance, but I'm quite sure something is going to happen to prevent that from happening. That's what American elections are all about: Keep progressives out, protect the donors.
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #404 on: August 12, 2019, 10:38:14 PM »
I'm still primarily for Bernie... he's the real thing.

But I think you dismiss Warren to readily. Even dignifying the ridiculous trumped up (literally) story about her slight indigenous heritage by mentioning it is falling into the most ridiculous of right wing tempest-out-of-a-teapot-ism. And pretending it would be somehow fatal if she alienated the Native American vote (barely 2% of the population), which she hasn't is really beyond ridiculous.

It sadly seems impossible to have discussions about these kinds of things without otherwise intelligent people just spouting utter idiocies.

And that's all I have to say about that. :)
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #405 on: August 12, 2019, 11:41:20 PM »
I disagree.

Kat, you already disagreed when i said he will drop in the polls. Well, he dropped in the polls.  8)

What drop?  He has hovering around 33% for the past month.  Unless you mean his drop from the high 30s, which was a euphoric bump after his announcement.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #406 on: August 13, 2019, 02:11:13 AM »
Steyer would declare environmental emergency on Day One of Presidency:
https://www.iowapublicradio.org/post/steyer-state-emergency-over-climate-change-day-one#stream/0

Bruce Steele

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 744
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #407 on: August 13, 2019, 02:34:18 AM »
I'd like to see a Warren / Gabbard  ticket !  If Warren could get through 8 years and Gabbard another 8 we might have women deciding which wars we would walk into or which might be avoided. We might even have enough time to get the Senate back. I would think any Dem candidate would choose a military former member for Vice. Tutsi would send shudders through the pentagon but somebody is going to tell them the sad truth about endless growth, and endless war.  Doesn't anyone remember 8 years of Bush 2 ?
It's like all the wars are over. Where are my damn rose colored glasses ?

Rich

« Reply #408 on: August 13, 2019, 03:09:12 AM »
The oligarchs have acquired everything else in America, why not the pollsters as well?

The beauty of Iowa going first is that it's hard to cheat in a caucus. The DNC has cut back on caucuses in 2020 and is allowing virtual participation to count in Iowa for the first time.

The biggest crowds, volunteer base and the highest # of donors belong to Sanders.

If Warren tops him in Iowa and NH, Sanders will give her his full endorsement and drop out. Harris would also likely endorse Warren in order to maximize her own political future as a fellow supporter of Medicare For All.

I think Warren beats Trump while acknowledging she isn't as solid as Bernie in the Rust Belt states in a general election. Warren doesn't have Clinton like baggage and Trump has demonstrated that he's wacko.

Sanders is the kryptonite against Trump. Trump's faux anti-establishment rhetoric falls flat against the authentic populist. Bernie killed it on his Fox town hall and on Joe Rogan. He packs houses in W. Virginia, Kentucky and Kansas. He's the one Trump is wary of.

Sanders is the avatar for the average citizen getting ground down by concentrated wealth. The 1% is putting all their chips in to stop him.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 13, 2019, 03:20:08 AM »
I doubt she can beat Sanders in both, and may not top him in either.  Sanders did well in Iowa in 2016, and, as you say, the biggest crowds, donors, etc. belong to Sanders.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 13, 2019, 04:21:13 AM »
I'd like to see a Warren / Gabbard  ticket !  If Warren could get through 8 years and Gabbard another 8 we might have women deciding which wars we would walk into or which might be avoided. We might even have enough time to get the Senate back. I would think any Dem candidate would choose a military former member for Vice. Tutsi would send shudders through the pentagon but somebody is going to tell them the sad truth about endless growth, and endless war.  Doesn't anyone remember 8 years of Bush 2 ?
It's like all the wars are over. Where are my damn rose colored glasses ?

I'd support Tulsi in either position paired with anyone but Biden. A Biden candidacy would cause me to consider write the in candidates.

Where has sidd been hiding when we need his read of the Deplorables?

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #411 on: August 13, 2019, 05:13:10 PM »
Tulsi appears unlikely to qualify for the next debate. She needs at least 2% in four polls by August 28, but she only has one so far. She did post 3 and 5 percent in the last two New Hampshire polls, but neither were performed by qualifying organizations.

Warren was ahead of Sanders by 10+ points in the two most recent recent Iowa polls. She has been tied or ahead of Biden in 3 of the last 5.

blumenkraft

« Reply #412 on: August 13, 2019, 06:09:00 PM »
I doubt she can beat Sanders in both, and may not top him in either.  Sanders did well in Iowa in 2016, and, as you say, the biggest crowds, donors, etc. belong to Sanders.

Oh, i like that tone, Kat. :)

blumenkraft

« Reply #413 on: August 13, 2019, 06:15:56 PM »
She needs at least 2% in four polls by August 28, but she only has one so far. She did post 3 and 5 per cent in the last two New Hampshire polls, but neither were performed by qualifying organizations.

Some nifty detail right there.

Only one of the many ways the DNC draws arbitrary lines in order to manipulate. With something like "qualifying organizations", you influence how the polls are conducted, where the polls are taking place and when, right?

blumenkraft

« Reply #414 on: August 13, 2019, 06:17:25 PM »
Where has sidd been hiding when we need his read of the Deplorables?

Hope he comes back soon.

Rich

« Reply #415 on: August 13, 2019, 11:58:14 PM »
She needs at least 2% in four polls by August 28, but she only has one so far. She did post 3 and 5 per cent in the last two New Hampshire polls, but neither were performed by qualifying organizations.

Some nifty detail right there.

Only one of the many ways the DNC draws arbitrary lines in order to manipulate. With something like "qualifying organizations", you influence how the polls are conducted, where the polls are taking place and when, right?

In all fairness, Tulsi has no shot at the nomination. The DNC is definitely biased in favor of corporate Democrats and the debate moderation has been a shit show this far.

Qualifying for the Sept debate gets one into the Oct debate as well and there will be +/- 10 qualifiers. I'm hoping we get down to 5 or so for the November debate.

Beto, Booker, Klobuchar, Castro and Yang have no shot either. They've had 6 months to make their case and little traction.

We have to wait until at least November before we whittle down to the contenders.

Problem for the DNC is that 5 of the top 7 candidates support Medicare For All. They're going to have a hard time finessing things in a way that doesn't leave Biden on an island.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 14, 2019, 02:00:20 AM »
The longer that Sanders, Warren, Harris, and Buttigieg remain in the race, the more likely than Biden will get the nomination.  I rarely agree with Rich, but I will agree with his last post.  Those candidates will pilfer from each other, leaving Biden alone at the top.

Rich

« Reply #417 on: August 14, 2019, 03:17:44 AM »
My forecast is that Mayor Pete and Kamala drop out after collecting zero delegates in Iowa. They have political futures and don't need the experience of collecting zero delegates in state after state.

If Warren beats Sanders decisively in Iowa, he'll drop out and endorse her in a heads up battle vs. Biden. Sanders values his agenda more than his candidacy. His agenda has a much better shot with Warren as POTUS vs. Biden.

Would Warren return the favor if the shoe is on the other foot? 50/50. She stayed on the sidelines side in 2016. If Warren trails Sanders and remains as a spoiler, she will become a villain in progressive circles.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #418 on: August 14, 2019, 03:26:10 AM »
On the 50 year GOP drift from Green to anti-Green:
https://www.thenation.com/article/republican-environmentalist-virtually-extinct/
no longer after votes, but special interests.

Meanwhile, frank Luntz goes from anti-Green to Green:
https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2019/6/21/18700218/republicans-climate-change-carbon-tax-grover-norquist-frank-luntz

Rich

blumenkraft

« Reply #420 on: August 15, 2019, 07:39:13 PM »
Read the YouTube comments and you'll see the state of the nation.

"A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Yo media/society has brainwashed me to believe Bernie was a just radical old nuthead. This hour and seven minutes completely changed my mind. I cannot believe how much I resonated with what he was saying!

Mainstream media warped my views on this guy, I actually agree with most of his thoughts

It’s crazy how mainstream media twists the images of people. I was completely mistaken about Bernie, I love his ideas & how rational they are. Definitely supporting him

Never was a Bernie fan... I also never gave the time of day to listen to his message to this extent, I relied on mainstream media and headlines... My mind is now open.

Left or right we can all agree that alternative long-form discussions like this are far superior to the sound bite factories in the mainstream media

Was a pretty anti-Bernie conservative before this podcast, but I do agree a lot with some of the issues he’s talking about so imma do some more research on him

Watch the whole thing!

blumenkraft

« Reply #421 on: August 15, 2019, 08:56:40 PM »
Media Claims Bernie Is Just Like Trump For Comical Reason

blumenkraft

« Reply #422 on: August 16, 2019, 09:46:56 PM »
Warren & Sanders Top 2 State 2020 Democratic Primary Polls - Dem 2020 Presidential Polls August 2019

blumenkraft

« Reply #423 on: August 17, 2019, 04:23:59 PM »
She gets it. Listen to that woman!

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #424 on: August 17, 2019, 08:33:47 PM »
https://insideclimatenews.org/news/15082019/election-2020-agriculture-climate-change-solutions-candidate-positions-iowa
In Iowa, Candidates Are Talking About Farming's Climate Change Connections Like No Previous Election
About half the candidates have policy proposals or statements addressing climate change impacts on agriculture or farming's potential as a climate solution.

blumenkraft

« Reply #425 on: August 18, 2019, 05:45:58 PM »

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 20, 2019, 05:14:21 PM »
Tulsi appears unlikely to qualify for the next debate. She needs at least 2% in four polls by August 28, but she only has one so far.
Tulsi Gabbard now has a pair of qualifying polls for the September & October debates, picking up 2% in the national CNN poll released today. The same poll also gave Julian Castro his fourth qualifying poll, meaning he has made the debate stage. Tom Steyer only received 1%, and still needs one more to qualify.

10 candidates have qualified as of now. It will be interesting to see if they decide to split the group up into two nights again.

blumenkraft

« Reply #427 on: August 20, 2019, 06:53:46 PM »
Joe Biden's wife just admitted her husband is not so great really, but everyone should vote for him anyway.

Sums up his campaign very neatly!

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 20, 2019, 08:41:54 PM »
Tulsi appears unlikely to qualify for the next debate. She needs at least 2% in four polls by August 28, but she only has one so far.
Tulsi Gabbard now has a pair of qualifying polls for the September & October debates, picking up 2% in the national CNN poll released today. The same poll also gave Julian Castro his fourth qualifying poll, meaning he has made the debate stage. Tom Steyer only received 1%, and still needs one more to qualify.

10 candidates have qualified as of now. It will be interesting to see if they decide to split the group up into two nights again.
And these polls need to be accredited by - - - You knew it, the polls need to be accredited by the DNC!

It's a big club, and Tulsi ain't in it.
With apologies to G. Carlin

Terry

cognitivebias2

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 98
« Reply #429 on: August 20, 2019, 09:22:50 PM »
And these polls need to be accredited by - - - You knew it, the polls need to be accredited by the DNC!

It's a big club, and Tulsi ain't in it.
With apologies to G. Carlin

Terry

To be fair, who else would decide the criteria for a debate held by the DNC?  Looking over the list I don't see anything inherently biased.

From NPR:

For context, and for those playing at home, the DNC-approved polls have to be associated with or conducted by the following: the Associated Press, ABC News, CBS News, CNN, The Des Moines Register, Fox News, Monmouth University, NBC News, The New York Times, NPR, Quinnipiac, the University of New Hampshire, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, The Washington Post and Winthrop University.

Per the DNC: "Any candidate's four qualifying polls must be conducted by different organizations, or if by the same organization, must be in different geographical areas."

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #430 on: August 22, 2019, 11:18:39 PM »
Sanders on fire: "time for workers to win the class war"

“For 45 years there has been a war in this country waged by the corporate elite against the working class of America”

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/sanders-declares-its-time-for-workers-to-win-the-class-war-video/

sidd

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1047
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #431 on: August 22, 2019, 11:23:42 PM »
Sanders on climate:

"a cash-for-clunkers and financial assistance program to scale up electric vehicle usage, and plans to boost public transit ridership 65 percent by 2030; a requirement that the Congressional Budget Office work with the Environmental Protection Agency to give new legislation a “climate score,” like the budget scores it currently doles out; and abiding by the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples to ensure the free, prior, and informed consent by Indigenous peoples."

"rules out carbon capture and storage"

"he will get $3.085 trillion by making “the fossil fuel industry pay for their pollution, through litigation, fees, and taxes, and eliminating federal fossil fuel subsidies." "

"Sanders’s plan offers a battery of investments both in workers and communities already being hit hard by a decline in jobs in carbon-intensive industries like coal. His just transition provisions would provide five years of unemployment insurance, a wage guarantee, and a host of other benefits to workers, as well as $5.9 billion in funding to regional economic development agencies like the Appalachian Regional Commission. "

"Communities around the country could also receive financial assistance to take control of their private electric utilities"

“[p]rosecute and sue the fossil fuel industry for the damage it has caused”

https://theintercept.com/2019/08/22/bernie-sanders-climate-policy/

sidd

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #432 on: August 23, 2019, 03:11:37 AM »
Democratic National Committee Denies Climate Debate
https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2019-08-22/democratic-national-committee-denies-2020-climate-change-debate
A DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL Committee panel on Thursday denied a proposal for a presidential primary debate dedicated to climate change, angering environmental activists who have put pressure on the organization to tackle the issue.
The resolution failed in a 17-8 vote from the organization's resolutions committee in San Francisco.

blumenkraft

« Reply #433 on: August 23, 2019, 05:41:38 PM »
Biden Advisor Pushes DNC To Reject Climate Debate

blumenkraft

« Reply #434 on: August 23, 2019, 11:32:27 PM »
Joe Biden Struggling On The Campaign Trail

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: August 24, 2019, 02:05:15 AM »

^^

Aww
Such a shame.

BTW
Your new? signoff is fantastic!
Terry

Pmt111500

« Reply #436 on: August 24, 2019, 08:31:41 AM »
Democratic National Committee Denies Climate Debate
https://www.usnews.com/news/politics/articles/2019-08-22/democratic-national-committee-denies-2020-climate-change-debate
A DEMOCRATIC NATIONAL Committee panel on Thursday denied a proposal for a presidential primary debate dedicated to climate change, angering environmental activists who have put pressure on the organization to tackle the issue.
The resolution failed in a 17-8 vote from the organization's resolutions committee in San Francisco.

Well, this IMO guarantees a low voter turnout specially among younger non-partisan voters, makes all democrat candidates equally bad, and we non-USAians may indeed have to enjoy the macabre humor of their current dolt in office for several more years, unless we're fast enough with the remotes.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 09:07:36 AM by Pmt111500 »

blumenkraft

« Reply #437 on: August 24, 2019, 11:03:12 AM »

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: August 24, 2019, 04:38:26 PM »
^^
Ramen !

Terry

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2042
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #439 on: August 25, 2019, 05:23:34 PM »
Bidens climate plans will will outscore that? (not in quality but that was never his strong point)
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: August 26, 2019, 03:16:35 PM »
Even Fox News says that the voting down of a climate change resolution by the DNC is a fatal error.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/liz-peek-democrats-dis-climate-change-voters-third-party-opening

The candidate who made climate change the forefront of his campaign, Jay Inslee, has dropped out.  That leaves Tom Steyer has the leading climate change activists among the remaining candidates.

blumenkraft

« Reply #441 on: August 26, 2019, 08:12:24 PM »
Bernie Sanders: We Must Transition Away From Fossil Fuel. Period.

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: August 26, 2019, 08:45:49 PM »
In the national Monmouth poll released today, Sanders and Warren each received 20%, just ahead of Biden's 19%. Tulsi and Steyer didn't get any help qualifying for the next debate, both coming in under 2%. The deadline is Wednesday.

blumenkraft

« Reply #443 on: August 26, 2019, 08:53:59 PM »
Sanders and Warren each received 20%, just ahead of Biden's 19%.

Hey Kat, do you see that? ;)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: August 26, 2019, 11:12:42 PM »
In the national Monmouth poll released today, Sanders and Warren each received 20%, just ahead of Biden's 19%. Tulsi and Steyer didn't get any help qualifying for the next debate, both coming in under 2%. The deadline is Wednesday.
Damn!
Terry

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #445 on: August 27, 2019, 08:30:33 PM »
The DNC rejects a climate change debate and puts virtual caucusing in doubt
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2019/8/25/20832300/dnc-climate-change-debate-virtual-caucus-iowa-nevada-hack-democratic-national-committee
At its summer meeting in San Francisco this weekend, the Democratic National Committee (DNC) addressed two things at the top of many voters’ minds: climate change and Russian interference in the 2020 election. The decisions party leaders made on both points frustrated activists and fellow Democrats.

Members on Saturday rejected a proposal to allow presidential candidates to participate in third-party debates, effectively ending hopes for a debate focused solely on climate change. Activists and presidential candidates alike had long called for a debate on the issue, and one candidate — former Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke — called the decision not to have one “baffling.”

blumenkraft

« Reply #446 on: August 27, 2019, 08:41:50 PM »
MSNBC Pundit Spouts Most Blatant Sanders Lie Yet

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: August 27, 2019, 10:11:37 PM »
Tulsi posted 3% in the national Emerson poll released today, yet another 2%+ result from a reputable organization that is not on the DNC's qualifying list.

For admittance to the September and October debates, candidates must secure polling results of 2% or more in four separate “approved” polls -- but a poll sponsored by the newspaper with the largest circulation in New Hampshire (the Globe recently surpassed the New Hampshire Union Leader there) does not count, per this cockamamie criteria. There has not been an officially qualifying poll in New Hampshire, Gabbard’s best state, in over a month.

The absurdity mounts. A South Carolina poll published Aug. 14 by the Post and Courier placed Gabbard at 2%. One might have again vainly assumed that the newspaper with the largest circulation in a critical early primary state would be an “approved” sponsor per the dictates of the DNC, but it is not. Curious.

To recap: Gabbard has polled at 2% or more in two polls sponsored by the two largest newspapers in two early primary states, but the DNC -- through its mysteriously incoherent selection process -- has determined that these surveys do not count toward her debate eligibility. Without these exclusions, Gabbard would have already qualified
RealClearPolitics

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: August 27, 2019, 10:19:40 PM »
sedz
It's a shame, but the DNC seems determined to replay 2016.
Wonder who they'll blame after the 2020 loss?
Terry

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: August 27, 2019, 10:49:13 PM »
My hope is that after Super Tuesday there will be one candidate remaining from each of the following three groups (with current sum of RCP polling averages):

Progressive: Sanders/Warren/Gabbard/Yang (37.4%)
Centrist: Biden/Klobuchar (29.1%)
Establishment: Harris/Buttigieg/Booker/O'Rourke/Castro (19.2%)

Of course the candidates don't fit neatly into three categories, but I can see an eventual separation forming. A possible difference between 2020 and 2016 is that centrist and establishment voters may be split.