Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Who should be the Democratic nominee for President in 2020?  (Read 177894 times)

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 12
Re: Who should be the Democratic nominee for President in 2020?
« Reply #500 on: September 10, 2019, 04:51:40 PM »
I care about the issues at hand, and I care about nuances. I don't think there is a binary distinction between a Sanders utopia and a Warren hell. I will gladly accept Sanders, Warren, Yang, or Gabbard over any of the other candidates, and certainly over Trump. You'd probably consider me to be an incrementalist, which is fair.

FWIW, my experience living in rust belt swing states that went red leads me to prefer Sanders and Yang. They are the kind of candidates that factory workers will vote for.

For supporters of Donald Trump now disillusioned with his actions an improbable figure is emerging on the Left. Andrew Yang, a candidate for the Democrat presidential nomination in 2020, has received increasing support from disenfranchised working class voters in key “rust belt” states like Pennsylvania, Ohio and Michigan.

People who voted for Mr Trump in 2016 have increasingly been turning up at Mr Yang’s rallies, replacing their MAGA hats with ones that say ”MATH" - which stands for ”Make America Think Harder" - ”Yang Gang".

According to polls Mr Yang, along with Bernie Sanders, is the the only Democrat who more than 10 per cent of Trump supporters say they would consider voting for.

blumenkraft

« Reply #501 on: September 10, 2019, 05:13:30 PM »
Sanders utopia and a Warren hell

That's not what i'm saying. I'm saying i trust Bernie to change things in a meaningful manner. Because he already delivered. Because he is consistent. Because he is honest.

And i don't trust Warren because she is in the same boat than the ones who very much don't want any change.

I will gladly accept Sanders, Warren, Yang, or Gabbard over any of the other candidates, and certainly over Trump. You'd probably consider me to be an incrementalist, which is fair.

Well, when the primaries are over i will support the democratic nominee, whoever it is.

But this is not this time. This is pre-primaries and now we have the chance to debate. This is what's called the democratic process.

Don't fall for the stupid 'everything is better than Trump' argument. Any cashier at any random gas station anywhere in the country is better than Trump.

FWIW, my experience living in rust belt swing states that went red leads me to prefer Sanders and Yang.

You are right. People tend to vote populistic. Bernie Sanders i the one honest populist. Populism is the new electability.

(BTW, Yang is a right-winger according to his policies, but he stands no chance anyway.)

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: September 10, 2019, 05:39:25 PM »
This is pre-primaries and now we have the chance to debate. This is what's called the democratic process.
Yes, which I am participating in by expressing my support for multiple candidates (a list much smaller than 'anyone but Trump'). I trust each of them to enact meaningful reform, as much as possible with a conservative Senate and Supreme Court.

(BTW, Yang is a right-winger according to his policies, but he stands no chance anyway.)
Please elaborate.

blumenkraft

« Reply #503 on: September 10, 2019, 05:52:25 PM »
Please elaborate.

Look on his stands on Israel for example.

Or better talk about UBI?

There are two trends in UBI. The right-wing version: Yeah, great idea to justify getting rid of the welfare state. Left-wing version: Don't touch welfare, have UBI on top (because the proposed 1k is nothing when it comes to medical bills for example). This is the sane version of UBI. Now, look at Yang's implementation.

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: September 10, 2019, 06:19:14 PM »
He supports a two-state solution. His Israel stance may not be as far to the left as other candidates, but it's certainly not right-wing (especially in the US). On foreign policy, he seems more uninformed than right-wing to me.

Yang's UBI is on top of medicare-for-all and social security. He proposes replacing unemployment benefits and food stamps (programs that can reinforce poverty by disincentivizing earned income), not the entire welfare system. And even then a person can opt out if their benefits are higher than 12k. It's somewhere in between your right-wing and left-wing versions.

Overall, Yang's policies are definitely left-wing.

SteveMDFP

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 582
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #505 on: September 10, 2019, 06:41:31 PM »

You point out how Bernie is the candidate who achieved that goal already, but you don't end your post with 'and therefore Bernie is the real deal'?

You see how rare such a chance is, and then you dismiss it instead of grabbing it?

We now see the whole democratic mainstream narrative shifting because Bernie relentlessly beating the same drums for the last 50 years but you see Warren as the hard worker?

Healthcare for all, Green New Deal, minimum wage, etc, that's what all the candidates talk about because Bernie shifted the Overton window. It's his contribution to the country already before even being president - but you see Warren as the reformer?

For all his time in Congress, Bernie has essentially ZERO legislative accomplishments.  He shows little ability to team with allies to accomplish concrete goals.

He talks a great platform.  He moves the content of the debate.  He's an inspiration.  But I don't believe he can be elected.  If elected, I don't believe he can get any of his agenda through Congress.

Warren has demonstrated impressive ability to enact reforms.  Her championing of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is proof.  This was anathema to Wall Street and big money.  It made good progress until the Trump administration de-fanged it.  She's worked tirelessly with anyone who will ally with her in pursuit of reforms.  I do note, however, that she's been an absolute whore for the medical device manufacturers in particular.  A key constituency in Mass.  A pragmatic necessity, as I see it.

In the current system, I don't believe any purist can be elected.  In this perspective, there is no contradiction at all with accepting Big Money while seeking to end the influence of Big Money.

Making progress within a deeply corrupt system cannot be accomplished by a lily-white purist.  We mustn't make the perfect the enemy of the good.

Bernie is an impractical, ineffective, but consistent idealist.  He's an inspiration.
Warren is a pragmatic, effective realist.  She can get things done.

blumenkraft

« Reply #506 on: September 10, 2019, 07:09:30 PM »
She can get things done.

Yeah, but is she at all willing to get done what she is saying today? I honestly doubt it.

Again i don't oppose your analysis. I just come to very different results.

As of his accomplishments, i would list shifting the Overton window in a positive way as mentioned above which is a great skill to have if you are president in a post-trump world. Or his proposed Bezos bill that forced Amazon to adopt the $15 minimum wage. I would also see his flawless voting record to be a very positive accomplishment. There are many more things that actually changed things in a positive way. He gets shit done, he has proven so in the past.

Ah, and BTW his bills and proposals seem to be so great, even Warren stole from him big time. ;)

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: September 10, 2019, 07:10:35 PM »
I don't believe he can be elected.  If elected, I don't believe he can get any of his agenda through Congress.
If he's nominated, "electability" becomes moot and the establishment should fall in line. He has plenty of cross-party/independent appeal to win the election. Once in office he should get just as much congressional support as any other progressive. His record as a senator would have little bearing on how much influence he would have as president.

blumenkraft

« Reply #508 on: September 11, 2019, 07:33:33 AM »
Uh-Oh: Elizabeth Warren Has Been Talking To Hillary Clinton

blumenkraft

« Reply #509 on: September 11, 2019, 04:07:49 PM »

Sigmetnow

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1153
  • Likes Given: 426
« Reply #510 on: September 11, 2019, 09:28:38 PM »
Elizabeth Warren (@ewarren) 9/10/19, 5:39 PM
I'm Elizabeth Warren and I approve this message.
https://twitter.com/ewarren/status/1171538730621915136
CNBC (@CNBC)9/10/19, 3:09 PM
Wall Street executives are fearful of an Elizabeth Warren presidency, according to @MadMoneyOnCNBC's @jimcramer.
cnb.cx/2UOpK4n   
https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/1171500839686590464
3-minute video clip of CNBC analysts at the link.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 09:39:07 PM by Sigmetnow »
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #511 on: September 11, 2019, 09:30:53 PM »
Couple of good remarks in this one:

The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1046
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #512 on: September 13, 2019, 07:24:10 AM »
Buttigieg and Warren promise to pull out of Afghanistan unilaterally, even absent deal with Taliban:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/461236-buttigieg-warren-pledge-afghanistan-withdrawal-even-without-taliban-peace

sidd

blumenkraft

« Reply #513 on: September 13, 2019, 02:02:24 PM »
One positive thing about Joe Biden, he recognises a president when he sees one.

Biden mistakenly refers to Sanders as 'the president' during debate

Link >> https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/461208-biden-mistakenly-refers-to-sanders-as-the-president-during-debate

blumenkraft

« Reply #514 on: September 13, 2019, 02:07:57 PM »
Play the radio, make sure the television, excuse me, make sure you have a record player on at night, make sure that kids hear words, a kid coming from a very poor school, or a very poor background, will hear four fewer words spoken by the time they get there.

You can't say if trump or Biden, can you?

blumenkraft

« Reply #515 on: September 15, 2019, 03:24:26 PM »
Pretty funny and entertaining debate recap.

Exclusive: Bernie Sanders Talks About His Debate Performance | Useful Idiots

sidd

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1046
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #516 on: September 16, 2019, 10:38:39 PM »
John Kass, a conservative, weighs in at chicago tribune: a study in authenticity

"if it were a contest in authenticity, Sanders would win in a landslide.:"

"But does that matter to Democrats? ... Sanders was the truly authentic candidate in 2016 ...   establishment Democrats were frightened ... rigged the presidential nomination against him ... They got the fake they wanted and lost."

"To them, authenticity is a commodity to be bought"

"I think there’s some there, there with Bernie."

"As a conservative I vehemently disagree with most everything he says."

"He pushes Medicare for All, knowing it will eventually knock 150 million Americans out of their private sector health care, and admits it means higher taxes on the middle class. But he doesn’t hide it or sugarcoat it like Warren, who wants those Bernie Bros for herself but doesn’t have the — what’s the word, guts? — to say it means a tax increase on the middle class."

"can Democrats handle the authentic truth?"

https://www.chicagotribune.com/columns/john-kass/ct-bernie-sanders-democrats-kass-20190914-3cueve7hdrgznjxsxdo4z5ccv4-story.html

sidd

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 409
« Reply #517 on: September 17, 2019, 03:49:56 AM »
(not very) subtly sexist
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #518 on: September 18, 2019, 08:06:00 PM »
Who Won The Debate Among Voters Who Prioritize Electability? Health Care? Climate Change?
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/who-won-the-debate-among-voters-who-prioritize-electability-health-care-climate-change/
Part of the difficulty of picking winners and losers in a debate is that each voter brings a different rubric to the task. For example, a Democrat whose top priority is enacting stricter gun control may be looking for different things in a candidate’s performance than a voter whose sole objective is to get President Trump out of office. So to get a more nuanced picture of which candidates did well in last week’s third Democratic presidential debate, let’s break down reactions among these differently motivated voters.

blumenkraft

« Reply #519 on: September 19, 2019, 08:48:30 AM »
HEAR THE BERN [Podcast]

Future - w/ Harvey Kaye & Cornel West

Link >> https://www.blubrry.com/hear_the_bern/48984290/24-back-to-the-future-w-harvey-kaye-cornel-west/

Klondike Kat

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #520 on: September 19, 2019, 03:16:57 PM »
Who Won The Debate Among Voters Who Prioritize Electability? Health Care? Climate Change?
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/who-won-the-debate-among-voters-who-prioritize-electability-health-care-climate-change/
Part of the difficulty of picking winners and losers in a debate is that each voter brings a different rubric to the task. For example, a Democrat whose top priority is enacting stricter gun control may be looking for different things in a candidate’s performance than a voter whose sole objective is to get President Trump out of office. So to get a more nuanced picture of which candidates did well in last week’s third Democratic presidential debate, let’s break down reactions among these differently motivated voters.

Using the 538 metric of top issues, Elizabeth Warren definitely came out on top.  The next three year Biden, Booker, and Klobuchar.  On the flip side, Kamala Harris did the worst, followed by Castro and Sanders. 

On individual issues, Warren was tops in being able to beat Trump, followed by Booker and Biden, while Harris was last, followed by Sanders.  Regarding healthcare, Biden was well on top, followed by Yang.  Harris was at the bottom, followed by Booker.  Warren was well ahead on the economy, followed by Klobuchar, while Sanders was a distant last.  No one really stood out on wealth and income inequality, although the big three lead the pack.  Conversely, O'Rourke fared the poorest, followed by Harris and Yang.  Finally, on climate change, O'Rourke stood out strongly, followed by Booker.  Castro fared poorest, closely followed by Biden and Yang.

blumenkraft

« Reply #521 on: September 19, 2019, 08:49:32 PM »
Damn spot on! Trump is afraid of the other populist in the race, the honest one!

LEAKED: Who & What Trump Is Scared To Run Against

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #522 on: September 21, 2019, 01:01:23 AM »
Sanders vows 'extremely bold and extremely aggressive' plan to fight climate change
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/presidential-candidates-talk-climate-change-forum-presented-msnbc-n1056336
Presidential candidates talked up their vision for fighting climate change Thursday, with Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders and others promising "bold" action on an issue that has become a defining one for Democrats ahead of the 2020 election.

In total, 12 presidential candidates — 11 vying for the Democratic nomination and one Republican mounting a primary challenge President Donald Trump — are pitching their environmental plans during the two-day, town-hall style event taking place at Georgetown University's Institute of Politics and Public Service in Washington. The forum, which is hosted by MSNBC's Chris Hayes and Ali Velshi, comes amid a week-long series of climate coverage from NBC News, MSNBC, Telemundo and NBC News digital.

blumenkraft

« Reply #523 on: September 23, 2019, 09:18:50 AM »
Nate Silver Smears Bernie’s Diverse Base As ‘Residue'

blumenkraft

« Reply #524 on: September 23, 2019, 12:19:21 PM »
A string of polls released last week suggest that support for Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders might be underestimated, The Hill reports.

Although the polls show that Joe Biden remains the frontrunner and Elizabeth Warren continues to generate buzz, Sanders’ success in the polls and with strong grass-roots support reportedly puts him in a position to have a good chance of winning.

“He has the money, the campaign infrastructure and an intense base of supporters,” said one Democratic strategist. “Does he have a tough road to the nomination? Of course, all of the candidates do. But has he been overlooked so far? Absolutely. Out of all the candidates, he is the one you can definitely say is in this for the long haul.”

Link >> https://www.inquisitr.com/5649755/bernie-sanders-support-underestimated-polls/

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #525 on: September 23, 2019, 01:17:58 PM »
Blumenkraft
Is R-E-S-I-D-U-E this cycle's spelling of DEPLORABLE?

Bernie & Tulsi
A pair to win with

And we will be proud of them even after the votes have been cast!
Terry

blumenkraft

« Reply #526 on: September 23, 2019, 01:26:18 PM »
Yep, you are not supposed to spell out the quiet parts as a corporate shill. Silver is just a very very stupid guy. I hate his guts!

Btw it's Bernie & Warren if you ask me, Terry. ;)

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: September 23, 2019, 01:33:33 PM »
As long as Biden is no where in the mix I can probably support the ticket, though at the moment I'm more concerned about keeping the Conservatives out of power here in Canada.
ABC = Anyone But Conservatives
Terry

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: September 23, 2019, 06:06:53 PM »
I must be missing something with the Silver residue uproar. Here's the quote:
Not sure Bernie should get credit for having more diverse support than last time given that he has far less support than last time. A lot of voters have left him. White liberals have been particularly likely to leave him (for Warren) so the residue of what's left is more diverse
Dictionary.com defines residue as "something that remains after a part is removed, disposed of, or used." Silver is saying that Sanders has a smaller and more diverse group of supporters so far than in 2016 because Warren has taken many white liberals from him. Residue is an appropriate word to use in the context in which he used it. It is nowhere close to the same as deplorable.

I think a more important critique of Silver's point is that if one of them were to drop out, Sanders would much more easily gain the support of Warren's liberal whites than Warren would gain Sanders' diverse supporters (meaning Sanders is a better choice for progressive consolidation). But instead we'll all just scream about Silver's word choice while proclaiming hatred.

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: September 23, 2019, 06:10:10 PM »
Tulsi picked up her third qualifying poll yesterday, so she needs one more in the next week to qualify for the October debates.

blumenkraft

« Reply #530 on: September 23, 2019, 06:19:08 PM »
Very good point, Sedziobs.

Still, Silver is a political dickhead with a huge and influential following. I'm going to keep pointing this out. He shouldn't have that credibility.

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: September 23, 2019, 06:30:48 PM »
Don't you think it's better to refute his arguments than to call him a very, very stupid political dickhead that you hate? What will his huge and influential following respond to?

I'm going to continue to ignore Silver's personal leanings while using his models, which have been more credible than most.

blumenkraft

« Reply #532 on: September 23, 2019, 06:37:54 PM »
No, i do think it's better. And you did it quite well there.

The videos has some good points too, this is why i shared it.

Doesn't hinders me to hate the guy. ;)

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: September 23, 2019, 06:56:19 PM »
Fair enough!

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: September 23, 2019, 09:41:51 PM »
sedz wrote: "I must be missing something with the Silver residue uproar"

It's at the level of connotation that most people use and understand language, most of the time.

Your definition is denotation.

And a key part even of the definition you gave is the first word: "something..."

It is relatively neutral when referring to inanimate objects. When referring to humans it is very demeaning in pretty much any context, at least that's how most native speakers of English would hear it. (And only someone who was non-native or completely tone-deaf would use it without intending some level of disrespect.)

I'm guessing you're not a native English speaker, perhaps?
"A force de chercher de bonnes raisons, on en trouve; on les dit; et après on y tient, non pas tant parce qu'elles sont bonnes que pour ne pas se démentir." Choderlos de Laclos "You struggle to come up with some valid reasons, then cling to them, not because they're good, but just to not back down."

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: September 23, 2019, 10:37:29 PM »
I'm a native American English speaker. I'm also an engineer who uses technical terms when discussing humans, which comes across as uncouth to others. So it's possible that I am completely tone-deaf and therefore unaware that the word "residue" conveys disrespect. And to that point, I would actually be surprised if Nate Silver deliberately selected the word for its disrespecting connotation, rather than its denotation. I'm sure he is at least as tone-deaf as I am.

The uproar comes across as reactionary and opportunist to me. Jacobin uses demeaning language all the time with its ridicule directed at anyone but Sanders. I support Yang, but I don't throw a fit when Jacobin says something disrespectful about him or his followers. There is some truth to their arguments, just as there is with Silver's.
the tragic cliché of the downwardly mobile lumpen failson has become a mascot of the Yang Gang
There’s no law that you have to take a serious interest in politics, so it’s no crime to support Andrew Yang’s campaign for president of the United States.
At first, he was a caricature, parading his identity as an Asian-American math nerd in lieu of a personality.

Is downwardly mobile lumpen failson the next deplorables?
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 10:48:59 PM by sedziobs »

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: September 24, 2019, 01:40:05 AM »
Oh c'mon, sed. Are you really saying that if your kids happened to be the last ones in a room and someone then turned to you and said, "Well, I guess it's just the residue left in that room..." that you'd be completely cool with it?

Residue, in common parlance, is also generally something that must be disposed of and is essentially useless. Referring to humans with this term really is pretty bad. Sorry that you find yourself so tone deaf. I hope that hasn't gotten you into too much trouble in life.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 01:50:41 AM by wili »

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: September 24, 2019, 02:06:40 AM »
If someone said something like "these kids will go to the playground, the residue will go to the gym" I would think it was a weird way to say it, but I wouldn't be upset. Your use of the word "just" actually seems more offensive than "residue". "It's just the [rest, others, remnants, remainder] left in that room" sounds demeaning. I don't think I've ever heard "residue" used in common parlance referring to humans, so I don't have any learned experience of its connotation in that manner. Anyway, I'm off topic and will fully concede that I am ignorant in this case.

Tom_Mazanec

« Reply #538 on: September 24, 2019, 03:18:15 AM »
Well, I've never heard of residue being applied to people either, and I've lived all my life in the Great Lakes region.

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: September 24, 2019, 03:44:15 AM »
Thanks for your perspective, Tom.

I do find it interesting that sed can't imagine why anyone would use anything other than the dictionary definition of 'residue,' but finds 'just' to be highly offensive, though none of its dictionary definitions are. Seems kinda...selective...

But I agree that we are now off topic and will drop it henceforth! :)

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #540 on: September 24, 2019, 01:23:45 PM »
There's white liberals, and then there's residue. The good thing about tone deaf people is that they will sometimes say things that a lot of people think, in this case the conservative demographic that votes Democrat and thinks it's 'progressive'.
The enemy is within

E. Smith

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 24, 2019, 03:13:36 PM »
Requirements for the November debate have been released: 3% in four polls or 5% in two early state polls. This won't shrink the field much. Biden, Warren, Sanders, Harris, and Buttigieg have essentially qualified already. Yang, Booker, Klobuchar, and O'Rourke could be close, but all four would have qualified for October even with the increased requirements.

The early state option might get Gabbard in, since she has been killing it in New Hampshire (5% in three of the last five polls there). Castro and Steyer might be the only candidates left out (the residue ;D).

sedziobs

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 24, 2019, 06:17:19 PM »
Tulsi picked up her third qualifying poll yesterday, so she needs one more in the next week to qualify for the October debates.
Tulsi got 2% in the Monmouth poll of New Hampshire released today. She'll be in next month's debate.

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 24, 2019, 07:13:54 PM »
Tulsi got 2% in the Monmouth poll of New Hampshire released today. She'll be in next month's debate.
Life is good!!
Terry

blumenkraft

« Reply #544 on: September 24, 2019, 07:55:13 PM »
 :o

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
« Reply #545 on: September 24, 2019, 11:45:54 PM »
Krystal Ball argues why the Democratic party is on track to nominate Elizabeth Warren (I think her analysis is very thorough and well thought-out):

The enemy is within

E. Smith

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 25, 2019, 12:42:55 AM »
^^
Thanks Neven!
I was hesitant to view the piece because I'm not a Pocahontas fan. I use the term because her supporters are going to be beat over the head with it should she win the nomination.

I'm not sure whether Trump would favor facing "Pocahontas Warren" or "Creepy Uncle Biden", he's been keeping his powder dry for both, as either would make a very easy target.

Pocahontas just means "she cheated", and it resonates with every voter who feels they were cheated at some point. A vote for Pocahontas is a vote for the cheater who copied my paper, stole my girl, or lied about the used car he sold me.

She can win the candidacy because Democrats won't tar her with her own past. Trump's Republicans won't be playing such politically correct games.

Creepy Uncle Biden, and his infamous son will be just as easy to defeat. If he starts kissing babies it will be a route.

After the Kavanaugh kerfuffle the Republicans will feel justified in getting deep into the mud slinging, and the primaries are doing nothing to prepare the candidates for what's coming.
Terry

wili

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 25, 2019, 01:04:41 AM »
Soooo, if we thought that Booker or Harris were likely to be the nominees, should we start constantly repeating the 'n' word here, because, hey, everybody should have to get used to it, since that's what at least some of Trump's followers will be using?

I still thing Bernie is more likely to win, so should I constantly refer to him as Bernie the Crazy Kike, so that we can all get inured to the slurs??

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: September 25, 2019, 01:59:42 AM »
Soooo, if we thought that Booker or Harris were likely to be the nominees, should we start constantly repeating the 'n' word here, because, hey, everybody should have to get used to it, since that's what at least some of Trump's followers will be using?

I still thing Bernie is more likely to win, so should I constantly refer to him as Bernie the Crazy Kike, so that we can all get inured to the slurs??
Bernie the Kike and Harris the nword won't be spoken out loud (by many), but Pocahontas will be blaring from every speaker for months. If Warren were of Native American heritage Pocahontas would equate to the nword, or kike, but she isn't, so it doesn't.
Campaigning against its use will further alienate Native Americans, their supporters, and every member of a visible minority will be pissed that a gringo first used minority identification to scam the system & now claims minority inclusion to fight her political battles. Not a good stance to take when the manure strikes the air handler.

It's not something she was born with, it was her own doing & she was foolish enough to bring it front and center through her very public bet with Trump. I think it cost her whatever chance she may have had to become the next president.

Bernie and Tulsi is my favorite ticket in part because I think they may have a chance against Trump. Anyone else has too many negatives.

Trump is going to be hard to beat with this impeachment show in the offing. I can't imagine why Pelosi changed her mind.
Terry

blumenkraft

« Reply #549 on: September 25, 2019, 06:23:28 AM »
but Pocahontas will be blaring from every speaker for months

Yes, the most idiotic MAGA hat people will do that. Why you are doing it too is beyond me. Bought a MAGA hat, Terry?