Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: PIG has calved  (Read 332806 times)

baking

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: PIG has calved
« Reply #1300 on: Today at 02:30:43 PM »
Scientists on the ground yesterday playing with radar saying the grounding line may not be where you think it is:  https://twitter.com/geologicalJo/status/1205753120430710784

"lots of radar data suggesting a new grounding line exists around Evans Knoll"

I'm reading this to say that "around" means Evans Knoll is now in island, just like the old "pinning point" 30 km downstream.

paolo

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1301 on: Today at 03:27:18 PM »
Probably, you equivocally, the area I marked as "Kaput” is not grounding!
The pinning point is given by the grounded area + a strip of ice shelf.
See the attached image
We have nothing better at our disposal!

And, according to the twitter, the grounded area is currently even smaller (this don't I was afraid from the information about the melt of the article D.E.Shean et al. 2019, see post 1284 fourth image)

Conclusion: getting better and better....  >:( >:(

Waiting for this new information :) :)

gerontocrat

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 1727
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #1302 on: Today at 05:12:47 PM »
PIG and Thwaites seafloor retrograde slope worse than thought. (farther inland and deeper)

Article spotted by blumenkraft
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,622.msg240698.html#msg240698

https://www.awi.de/en/about-us/service/press/press-release/antarcticas-delicate-face.html
Antarctica’s Delicate Face
A new map reveals the landforms hidden beneath the ice in unprecedented detail. This will support more accurate forecasts concerning the future of the glaciers and sea-level rise.

“Thanks to the new map, we can now more accurately predict in which regions the glaciers are especially vulnerable to climate change,” says Olaf Eisen. For example, they now know that, on West Antarctica’s Thwaites Glacier and Pine Island Glacier, the terrain slopes farther and deeper inland than previously assumed. For these glaciers, which ice experts already considered to be ‘problem children’, the future now looks even bleaker. But such areas with problematic topographies can also be found in East Antarctica, e.g. the massive Recovery Glacier, which drains 40 percent of East Antarctica. And the record-breaking troughs below Denman Glacier could also contribute to its destabilisation.

That being said, the insights offered by the new map aren’t all bad news. For example, previously undiscovered ridges could help to stabilise the ice flowing over the Transantarctic Mountains. As a result, these ice masses may be able to withstand climate change longer than previously projected. “These new findings will help us to better assess the stability of glaciers in various regions,” Eisen concludes. “Only then can we realistically estimate whether, and if so, by how much they could cause the sea level to rise.”

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)