Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Pay-Walled Scientific Publications: Requests and Linked Access  (Read 42032 times)

longwalks1

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Pay-Walled Scientific Publications: Requests and Linked Access
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2019, 08:43:15 PM »
I have spent more hours than I can quantify opens sourcing books at Distributed Proofreaders and Distributed Proofreaders Canada.  And I strongly believe copyright got out out of control and should not have such a long time. 

I also strongly believe that getting access to scientific papers, many prepared with tax dollars is necessary.

But this - NO.   An author wrote it and it should be bought or borrowed.  I have in past bought books I liked, read and given to the Winnipeg Library.  US, they have interlibrary loans, free, at least they did.  I can get some books free via my tiny Iowa library onto my kobo.  Explore your options. 

It looks like a lovely book.  If you feel I am wrong in my beliefs on this particular book, well I suggest binding arbitration, with the author. 

I feel no guilt with several hundred scientific articles via "the hub".  But for that book at this time, no.   

Aporia_filia

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Pay-Walled Scientific Publications: Requests and Linked Access
« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2019, 10:12:19 PM »
Fine for me. Is easily accessible by Amazon.
The book, albeit is written by someone who has use his paid work in the university to achieve the knowledge to write it. If I'm not mistaken. And Springer is not a fairy.
But don't want to break any law  :-X