Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Pay-Walled Scientific Publications: Requests and Linked Access  (Read 76921 times)

HeisenIceBerg

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
I've noticed both on the ASIF and over at Neven's blog that pay walls on journal publications can often be problematic, as the analysis capabilities of our community here are limited when we cannot access the scientific information we need.  The point of this thread is to create a central location where people can request for someone with access to pay-walled publications (probably me mostly) to get a copy to share, as well a place where the links to said shared publications can be posted so it is easy to keep track of.

As a current university student, I have the fortune of having free access to pretty much every scientific journal; I have yet to come across a journal which I do not have access to.  Since I will continue to be a university student for the foreseeable future (another 2 years for my undergraduate, plus a planned masters and doctorate) I should be able to continue doing this for a long time.

If other people wish to take up this task as well, then I would be glad for the assistance.

A few things to note first:

1) If the request is posted elsewhere on the ASIF or on Neven's blog, then I cannot guarantee that I will see the request.  If I happen to see elsewhere that someone wants access to a publication, then I will get it, but I may not see it.  If you really want access to a publication, either post the request here or send me a personal message. 

2) I will be posting all links to publications in this thread, so that it is easy for me to keep track of.  If I was responding to a request made elsewhere on the ASIF or Neven's blog, then I will link to the post in this thread which has the links.

3) In order to avoid potential copyright problems, which could become a bigger issue as the ASIF and Neven's blog start attracting more attention, I will not leave up publications and the links indefinitely.  3 days after posting a link to a copy of a publication, I will remove the link as well as removing the publication from that location.  3 days should still be plenty of time for anyone interested to get the document.

4) After removing a link and publication, I will be open to requests to repost said link and publication, but I will not do so immediately.  There will be a 10 day waiting period after I have removed a link and publication before I will repost it.  Requests can be made before this 10 day period has passed, but I will not post another link until after the 10 days.

If for some reason I decide to stop doing this at some point in the future I will make this abundantly clear.  I can't foresee any reason I would stop for quite a while, but hopefully someone else can take up the task if and when I eventually do stop.

Now that all of that is out of the way, let the requests the begin and the information flow!  :)

Edit: I've realized that I should mention one other thing.  The free access I get is mainly for scientific papers.  Unforunately, I don't get free access to full books, as you might find on Springer for example.  My university's library might have a copy, and if so I will scan the pages requested, but I cannot guarantee that I can get a chapter from a book.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 04:59:44 AM by HeisenIceBerg »
The HeisenIceBerg uncertainty principle of climate science: The less sure climate scientists are about something, the more sure climate deniers are that it means climate change isn't happening or doesn't matter.

The converse is not true.

HeisenIceBerg

• New ice
    • View Profile
Re: Pay-Walled Scientific Publications: Requests and Linked Access
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2013, 09:52:42 PM »
To make things easy for me, I'd appreciate if requests contain a link to the publication's location (most online journals provide the abstract at least), so you should try to find it first.  If for some reason you cannot find it, then please provide as much information as you can, such as the title of the article, at least one author's name, the date of publication, and the journal it was published in.

I will use the following format for all of my posts, for the sake of record keeping.
Request made by: (name of requester)
Location and time of request: (where the request was made (here, ASIF, Neven's blog) and when (date and time))
Publication requested: (details of the requested article)
Link to publication (the text will contain the link, the URL will not be displayed)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2013, 10:03:44 PM by HeisenIceBerg »
The HeisenIceBerg uncertainty principle of climate science: The less sure climate scientists are about something, the more sure climate deniers are that it means climate change isn't happening or doesn't matter.

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2013, 09:54:57 PM »
Thanks for this, HeisenIceBerg! I have moved your topic to this category as the Arctic Background category is also for discussing science. It will be seen by more folks here. In fact, I think I will make it a sticky.

I will probably take you up on this offer when necessary. I had other people offer me to retrieve papers, but I forgot their name and can't find their mail address!
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

HeisenIceBerg

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 10:00:54 PM »
Request made by: Chris Reynolds
Location and time of request: Neven's blog: PIOMAS April 2013 - extra update on April 13, 2013 at 21:21
Publication requested: Thorndike 1975 "The thickness distribution of sea ice"
Link to publication Link removed on April 18.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:01:13 PM by HeisenIceBerg »

HeisenIceBerg

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2013, 10:02:18 PM »
No problem Neven, I'm glad to contribute what I can to the community.

HeisenIceBerg

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2013, 10:07:51 PM »
Request made by: ccgwebmaster
Location and time of request: Arctic Sea Ice : Forum » Cryosphere » Greenland and Arctic Circle » Vedel Sø/ Dronning Louise Land / North East Greenland, Reply #27 on April 12, 2013, 10:00:28 PM
Publication requested: "A detection of Milankovitch frequencies in global volcanic activity", Kutterolf et al. 2012
Link to publication Linked removed on April 18
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:01:41 PM by HeisenIceBerg »

HeisenIceBerg

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 10:23:49 PM »
Request made by: R. Gates
Location and time of request: Neven's blog: PIOMAS April 2013 - extra update on April 14, 2013 at 06:13
Publication requested: "Dynamics of the Mackenzie River plume on the inner Beaufort shelf during an open water period in summer", Ryan P. Mulligan et al. 2010
Link to publication Link removed on April 18
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:02:32 PM by HeisenIceBerg »

HeisenIceBerg

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2013, 11:13:34 PM »
Request made by: Steve Bloom
Location and time of request: ASIB: PIOMAS April 2013 - extra update on April 14, 2013 at 08:56

Publication requested #1: "On the interpretation of inter-model spread in CMIP5 climate sensitivity estimates", Vial et al. 2013
Link to publication #1 Link removed on April 18

Publication requested #2: "Sudden stratospheric warmings and tropospheric blockings in a multi-century simulation of the IPSL-CM5A coupled climate model", Vial et al. 2013
Link to publication #2 Link removed on April 18

Publication requested #3: "Assessment of atmosphere-ocean general circulation model simulations of winter northern hemisphere atmospheric blocking"; Jessica Vial, Tim J. Osborn; 2012
Link to publication #3 Link removed on April 18
« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 06:03:44 PM by HeisenIceBerg »

Daniel Bailey

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2013, 03:23:46 AM »
Thank you, HeisenIceBerg, for undertaking this valuable service.  I'm an author and admin at http://www.skepticalscience.com/, and a contributing author at http://www.facebook.com/TheEarthStory.  One of the other authors was unable to find this publication:

Goethe’s Morphology of Stones: Between Natural History and Historical Geology
World Views and Scientific Discipline Formation
Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science Volume 134, 1991, pp 329-338
http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-94-011-3164-3_30

I'm pretty adept with Google Scholar, but this one proved to be kryptonite for me.

TIA,

Daniel Bailey
aka, The Yooper

HeisenIceBerg

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 04:54:35 AM »
Daniel Bailey,

First of all, I must admit that I feel honoured and even a bit giddy that I can help contribute to the excellent work done at Skeptical Science.  I'm a big fan; even as I write this, I have about 7 SkS articles open that I'm going to read tonight.

Unfortunately, your request will take a little bit more time than most.  One of the few things I don't get free access to is full books from journals (I should probably add that to the main post).  However, my university library happens to have a copy, so I'll go get that tomorrow morning and scan the pages you need.  I'll get back to you within a day.

Regards,
HeisenIceBerg
« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 05:01:59 AM by HeisenIceBerg »

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
  • The traps have got him, and that's all about it!
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2013, 10:04:25 PM »
Hi HeisenIceBerg,

I wonder if you could make this paper available?

Zhang, Shugang, et al. "Dual-polarized ratio algorithm for retrieving Arctic sea ice concentration from passive microwave brightness temperature." Journal of Oceanography (2013): 1-13.

Here is a link.

The authors suggest in the Abstract that:
The results of this study illustrate that the DPR algorithm is a more accurate algorithm for retrieving sea ice concentration from the AMSR-E brightness temperature, and can be used for operational purposes.

With AMSR2 Level 2 data due for public release in May 2013, and our new found graphic power (thanks for the ImageJ tips, ArcticIO) we may get an early glimpse.  8)

Gracias, mejo.
Cheers!
Lodger

HeisenIceBerg

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2013, 12:47:30 AM »
Request made by: Daniel Bailey
Location and time of request: Main thread on April 15, 2013, 03:23:46 AM
Publication requested: Goethe’s Morphology of Stones: Between Natural History and Historical Geology
World Views and Scientific Discipline Formation
Boston Studies in the Philosophy of Science Volume 134, 1991, pp 329-338
Link to publication Link removed on April 23

I scanned the pages you requested, but I didn't have a program that could put all the images into one PDF, so there are 6 separate .jpg images.  The edges of pages 330 and 331 are a bit blurry, but still legible.  You can zoom in on each image to a readable resolution.  You should be able to download the whole folder in a .zip file.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:03:02 AM by HeisenIceBerg »

HeisenIceBerg

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2013, 01:03:03 AM »
Request made by: Artful Dodger
Location and time of request: Main thread Reply #10 on April 15, 2013, 10:04:25 PM
Publication requested: "Dual-polarized ratio algorithm for retrieving Arctic sea ice concentration from passive microwave brightness temperature"; Zhang, S., Zhao, J., Frey, K., Su, J.; 2013
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:03:35 AM by HeisenIceBerg »

Daniel Bailey

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2013, 02:27:53 AM »
Thank you, HeisenIceBerg!  Much appreciated!

Daniel Bailey
aka, The Yooper

HeisenIceBerg

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2013, 11:50:33 PM »
Request made by: ccgwebmaster
Location and time of request: Personal Message on April 16, 2013 at 08:54:50 AM
Publication requested: "How unrealistic optimism is maintained in the face of reality"; Sharot, T., Korn, C.W., Dolan, R.J.; 2011
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 02:03:56 AM by HeisenIceBerg »

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 07:19:15 PM »
Hi H.I.B. (Agent J?) ;)

This is a paper of interest to sea ice modelling studies:

Keen, Ann B., Helene T. Hewitt, and Jeff K. Ridley. "A case study of a modelled episode of low Arctic sea ice." Climate Dynamics (2013): 1-16.

There's just a tease here.

This paper claims that the HadGEM1 model is "able to capture the observed long term decline in mean September ice extent." It also reproduces the anomalously September low ice extent observed in 2007.

They use a heat budget analysis, together with diagnostics partitioning the changes in ice and snow mass into thermodynamic and dynamic components. HadGEM1 doesn't reproduce the persistent dipole of 2007, but the authors say "it represents broadly similar mechanisms of generating a low ice extent".

That'd be a good read, wot? If you can get it, it'd be appreciated.  :)
Cheers!
Lodger

ChrisReynolds

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Dosbat
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 09:25:13 PM »
Thanks Lodger,

Heisen, I second Lodger's request.

Thanks again for the Thorndike paper. I now have all the papers on which the core physics of PIOMAS is based. But I'm unable to get any further with regards the spring volume loss in PIOMAS, the maths is too dense for me. So I'm going to hack at the problem from the point of view of the model output I have and what that shows.

HeisenIceBerg

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 02:18:31 AM »
Request made by: Artful Dodger
Location and time of request: Main thread Reply #15 on April 23, 2013 @ 07:19:15 PM
Publication requested: "A case study of a modelled episode of low Arctic sea ice."; Ann B. Keen, Helene T. Hewitt, and Jeff K. Ridley; Climate Dynamics (2013): 1-16
Link to publication

Lewis C

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 01:29:10 PM »
HIB - please could you provide a link to the following paper, as Springer gives only the first couple of pages ?

Doklady Earth Sciences
September 2012, Volume 446, Issue 1, pp 1132-1137
The degradation of submarine permafrost and the destruction of hydrates on the shelf of east arctic seas as a potential cause of the “Methane Catastrophe”: some results of integrated studies in 2011

V. I. Sergienko, L. I. Lobkovskii, I. P. Semiletov, O. V. Dudarev, et al

With my thanks,

Lewis

ccgwebmaster

• Nilas ice
  • Civilisation collapse - what are you doing?
    • View Profile
    • CCG Website
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2013, 04:27:41 AM »
Doklady Earth Sciences
September 2012, Volume 446, Issue 1, pp 1132-1137
The degradation of submarine permafrost and the destruction of hydrates on the shelf of east arctic seas as a potential cause of the “Methane Catastrophe”: some results of integrated studies in 2011
Expired out now.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 05:07:49 AM by ccgwebmaster »

ChrisReynolds

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Dosbat
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2013, 08:05:55 PM »
Heisen,

Could you see if you can get hold of this:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031018213002265
"The amplification of Arctic terrestrial surface temperatures by reduced sea-ice extent during the Pliocene." Ballantyne et al 2013.

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2013, 01:22:25 PM »
Greetins, H.I.B.

I'd love to read this classic article on a fundamental process affecting Arctic sea ice, if you can obtain it:

Hunkins, K. (1966, August). Ekman drift currents in the Arctic Ocean. In Deep Sea Research and Oceanographic Abstracts (Vol. 13, No. 4, pp. 607-620). Elsevier.

Abstract:
Current observations from a drifting ice floe in the central Arctic Ocean give clear evidence of a clockwise spiral structure in the upper layers. The data for steady conditions show a boundary layer just beneath the ice and an Ekman spiral layer below it. The depth of frictional influence is 18 m for winds of 4 m/sec. This is apparently the first detailed confirmation of the Ekman spiral in deep waters.
Thanks in advance!
Cheers!
Lodger

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1333
  • Likes Given: 617
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2013, 12:23:03 PM »
HIB, could you get me this one, plz: http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s10584-010-9893-7

Thanks...
The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2013, 11:36:54 PM »

If there's a chance for the below it would be much appreciated.---------------------Disappearing Arctic sea ice reduces available water in the American westJacob O. Sewall, Lisa Cirbus SloanArticle first published online: 24 MAR 2004DOI: 10.1029/2003GL019133[/color]Copyright 2004 by the American Geophysical Union.[/color]
[/color][/color]Terry[/font][/color][/size][/font]

Vergent

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2013, 01:48:12 AM »
Terry,

When you copy formatted text, use the option; "paste as plain text"

Disappearing Arctic sea ice reduces available water in the American west

Jacob O. Sewall, Lisa Cirbus Sloan
Article first published online: 24 MAR 2004

DOI: 10.1029/2003GL019133

When you do, it will look like this, and will be readable.

Vergent

TerryM

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2013, 02:21:37 AM »
Verg
Thanks so much - I hadn't noticed that anything was amidst with my post not having checked it in preview.

Terry

werther

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 31
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2013, 10:25:03 AM »
In  search for more info on possible cell-rearrangement and the role of planetary waves in transfer of energy I just struck on this: by jaiser et all, AWI pub. 01 July ‘13

http://www.tellusa.net/index.php/tellusa/article/view/19375/html

Stratospheric response to Arctic sea ice retreat and associated planetary wave propagation changes

Also a lot of interesting references.

Add:
And, Arcticio, very much relatedto your article:
These promise insights, any chance?

Simulated Arctic atmospheric feedbacks associated with late summer sea-ice anomalies

« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 10:36:05 AM by werther »

birthmark

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 01:03:41 AM »
There is some discussion of "Quantifying the Influence of Climate on Human Conflict" http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early/2013/07/31/science.1235367 around a couple of websites where I'm active. So far, I can only find the abstract. I'd very much like to read the whole paper, if possible. Thanks in advance.

prokaryotes

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Climate State
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 04:51:43 PM »
I need access to the following paper http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0012821X13000848

and

Changes in Ecologically Critical Terrestrial Climate Conditions
http://www.sciencemag.org/content/341/6145/486

Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 05:40:09 AM by prokaryotes »

prokaryotes

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • Climate State
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2013, 04:53:10 PM »
There is some discussion of "Quantifying the Influence of Climate on Human Conflict" http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early/2013/07/31/science.1235367 around a couple of websites where I'm active. So far, I can only find the abstract. I'd very much like to read the whole paper, if possible. Thanks in advance.

Here is a follow up from the author
http://www.g-feed.com/2013/08/a-climate-for-conflict.html

birthmark

• New ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2013, 12:57:11 AM »
Thanks, prokaryotes.

Lennart van der Linde

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2013, 10:57:47 AM »
HIB,

Could you find this paper by Meehl et al. (2012) for me, on potential SLR:
http://www.nature.com/nclimate/journal/v2/n8/full/nclimate1529.html

Thanks!

Artful Dodger

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 10:34:05 AM »
HIB,

Could you find this paper <snip>
Hi Lennart,

In case you, or others, haven't noticed, Heiseniceberg has not posted here since May 2013. But Google Scholar finds a freely available copy of your request:

Meehl, Gerald A., et al. "Relative outcomes of climate change mitigation related to global temperature versus sea-level rise." Nature Climate Change (2012).

The Supplemental information is also available in this PDF document.

P.S. Any paper older than 6 months from the publication date (the sequester period for the Journal) is usually available for free on the web, and can be found quickly with Google Scholar8)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:32:12 AM by Artful Dodger »
Cheers!
Lodger

Lennart van der Linde

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 87
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 01:14:48 PM »
Artful Dodger, thanks!

I hadn't found that one myself and wasn't aware HIB has been quiet for so long.

greatdying2

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2014, 04:20:51 AM »
If you would like a paywalled paper, please feel free to PM me. Cheers.
The Permian–Triassic extinction event, a.k.a. the Great Dying, occurred about 250 million years ago and is the most severe known extinction event. Up to 96% of all marine species and 70% of terrestrial vertebrate species became extinct; it is also the only known mass extinction of insects.

ChrisReynolds

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • Dosbat
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2015, 09:06:11 PM »
If you would like a paywalled paper, please feel free to PM me. Cheers.

I have over 400 papers on Arctic sea ice, it also might be worth trying me, I might have it...

JER

• New ice
    • View Profile
    • Life On Thin Ice
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2015, 08:52:50 AM »
Chris,

Are you still looking for this paper? http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0031018213002265  If so, I have it. Let me know. Sorry I didn't look at this section of the Forum sooner.

Cheers,
Jenny
As a result of climate change, "The Arctic is the ecological equivalent of a war zone." -- Jenny E. Ross

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2015, 07:29:16 PM »
This isn't pay-walled, but I thought folks here might be interested.  From the Highly Allochthonous blog (posted on December 30, 2015 by Anne Jefferson):
There are so many good papers out there, but if I had to pick just one to rave about it, it would definitely be:

Lundquist, J. D., N. E. Wayand, A. Massmann, M. P. Clark, F. Lott, and N. C. Cristea (2015), Diagnosis of insidious data disasters, Water Resour. Res., 51, 3815–3827, doi:10.1002/2014WR016585.

It’s even open access, and so, so good for anyone who takes in and makes use of field data.

Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

ghoti

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2016, 12:30:23 AM »
Apparently you can now get access to pay-walled scientific articles now via sci-hub.io

http://sci-hub.io/

bbr2314

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 53
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2016, 02:23:40 AM »

A-Team

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 944
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2016, 05:01:58 PM »
I find it very effective to simply paste 'researchgate' in front of the full article title with no quotes. Google Search will display pdf availability. I would say 85% of the time I get a pdf download link or a request-to-all-coauthors for a copy (often a corrected draft).

Elsevier indeed is one of the very worst abusers of the system -- that stinking html 1.0 on ScienceDirect says a lot about them -- and one could reasonably ask scientists why they choose to submit articles there in the first place. It is quite interesting to note none of the other scientific publishers have joined the legal action.

Sci-hub has taken this to a whole new level. I don't know how this will turn out but the prospects for putting 50 million full text articles back in the bottle seems exceedingly remote.

Sci-Hub is a Russian site that seeks to remove barriers to science by providing access to pirated copies of scientific papers. It was established in 2011 by Russian neuroscientist Alexandra Elbakyan, who could not afford papers she needed for her research and it now claims to have links to 48 million pirated and open papers. I tried it out and found some papers and not others, but it provides an alternative for researchers who cannot afford access to paid journals.
A researcher in Russia has made more than 48 million journal articles - almost every single peer-reviewed paper every published - freely available online. And she's now refusing to shut the site down, despite a court injunction and a lawsuit from Elsevier, one of the world's biggest publishers.

For those of you who aren't already using it, the site in question is Sci-Hub, and it's sort of like a Pirate Bay of the science world. It was established in 2011 by neuroscientist Alexandra Elbakyan, who was frustrated that she couldn't afford to access the articles needed for her research, and it's since gone viral, with hundreds of thousands of papers being downloaded daily.
journal subscriptions have become so expensive that leading universities such as Harvard and Cornell have admitted they can no longer afford them. Researchers have also taken a stand - with 15,000 scientists vowing to boycott publisher Elsevier in part for its excessive paywall fees.
That's where Sci-Hub comes into the picture. The site works in two stages. First of all when you search for a paper, Sci-Hub tries to immediately download it from fellow pirate database LibGen. [[https://sites.google.com/site/themetalibrary/library-genesis]]

If that doesn't work, Sci-Hub is able to bypass journal paywalls thanks to a range of access keys that have been donated by anonymous academics (thank you, science spies).

This means that Sci-Hub can instantly access any paper published by the big guys, including JSTOR, Springer, Sage, and Elsevier, and deliver it to you for free within seconds. The site then automatically sends a copy of that paper to LibGen, to help share the love. 

It's an ingenious system, as Simon Oxenham explains for Big Think:

"In one fell swoop, a network has been created that likely has a greater level of access to science than any individual university, or even government for that matter, anywhere in the world. Sci-Hub represents the sum of countless different universities' institutional access - literally a world of knowledge."
Last year, a New York court delivered an injunction against Sci-Hub, making its domain unavailable (something Elbakyan dodged by switching to a new location), and the site is also being sued by Elsevier.

But Elbakyan is not only standing her ground, she's come out swinging, claiming that it's Elsevier that have the illegal business model. "I think Elsevier’s business model is itself illegal," she told Torrent Freak, referring to article 27 of the UN Declaration of Human Rights, which states that "everyone has the right freely to participate in the cultural life of the community, to enjoy the arts and to share in scientific advancement and its benefits".
Now the portal boasts close to 50 million papers and growing. If before, it was a mere search and extraction tool, it now automatically searches for missing articles on important topics, and downloads them to its database. “In the end the system got to its feet and started self-adding up to a million articles each month,” Alexandra says.

Akin to an anonymizer website, it looks for the link and, using university proxies, sends it back to the student unlocked. “That the original anonymizer codes were open-source was a huge blessing. But university proxies function slightly differently, so I had to alter the source code,” Alexandra says.

“The entire development, including testing, took only about three days,” she says. “I was surprised myself that the thing actually worked and people were using it… the ‘thank you’ button was clicked 316 times as soon as the service was announced.” Other scientists on the microbiology forum became the site’s first users.
SThere were one or two other portals dealing with such requests, (Library Genesis, or Lib-Gen, remains the only one similar to Sci-Hub), but with only 100 requests per day at the start, Sci-Hub now gets anywhere from one to several thousand. Having undergone some minor and major rewrites over the four years, Alexandra’s website really is the best viable alternative to paid sources today.
Fighting the establishment

Unsurprisingly, this quickly increased its capacity for interfering with huge payoffs enjoyed by science publishers – sources that basically make scientists buy back their work.
Even if legal access to [Sci-Hub] is blocked, the user can still get in through the TOR network and immediately gain access to all the articles. However, we intent to fight for free access to all information. After all, using TOR still provides obstacles. And I believe there should be no obstacles on the way to scientific knowledge.”
There will always be techniques for accessing paywalled research for free, even without services like Sci-Hub. Some of them are much less complex than Elbakyan’s website: Researchers and scholars often use the hashtag #icanhazpdf on Twitter to ask fellow academics for paywalled articles. (There’s even been scholarly work published that analyzes the phenomenon—appropriately, the research is free online.)
I couldn't follow the discussion on how she gets by .edu proxies but it is explained here:

Jump paywalls, score academic research for free, share it without being busted
http://tinyurl.com/jswv6q7
Every four years the Chaos Computer Club (CCC) in Germany holds a Chaos Communication Camp, which is so cool that it inspired the American-flavored hacker camp ToorCamp. As always there were a plethora of excellent talks, but today we are looking at a talk that covered hypothetical methods to obtain knowledge, via academic research behind payalls, for free...without getting arrested.

At Chaos Communication Camp 2015 in Germany, Storm Harding, a “researcher investigating the intersection of piracy and privacy” presented Jumping the Paywall, or “how to freely share research without being arrested.” Harding is “deeply committed to contesting the notions of Intellectual Properties in all their nefarious manifestations (including copyleft).”

Jumping the Paywall explores “how to procure access to all-too-often restricted content sequestered behind extortionate academic paywalls, and how to then safely freely disseminate said content without being apprehended.” The talk, which included a waiver of liability, covered potential ways to get around paywalls as well as:

Content access procurement (how to secure free access to knowledge from a variety of sources).
    Operational security during field deployment (how to stay safe when procuring content from physical sources such as libraries).
    Content Defanging (how to remove three problematic types of shackles from digital content: content protection, metadata, and watermarking identification and removal).
    Content distribution (how to distribute the now-defanged content safely).
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 05:28:17 PM by A-Team »

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 696
  • Likes Given: 332
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2016, 01:36:22 AM »
Elsevier got Sci-Hub's main domain name shut down in May but several back up names still work as of today and there's always the IP address itself which is still up. The linked article was published in May.

https://torrentfreak.com/elsevier-complaint-shuts-down-sci-hub-domain-name-160504/

Elbakyan was also quick to add that several ‘backup’ domain names are still in play, including Sci-Hub.bz and Sci-Hub.cc. This means that the site remains accessible to those who update their bookmarks.

In addition to the alternative domain names users can access the site directly through the IP-address 31.184.194.81

It is obscene when middlemen erect huge financial barriers to the dissemination of knowledge. The world simply cannot afford to be ignorant about climate change and science in general. It's a travesty that a Russian researcher was unable to afford to read the papers she needed to do her research by working within the system.

Ignorance is destroying the habitability of this beautiful planet.

FishOutofWater

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 696
  • Likes Given: 332
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2018, 12:01:13 AM »
The links above to Sci Hub were taken down in the U.S. after the American Chemical Society won a case in Nov. 2017. I went to Sci Hub's Russian blog on VK and found this link from Taiwan. Given the ongoing legal machinations, it it subject to change without notice.

https://sci-hub.tw/

Paladiea

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2019, 07:18:33 AM »
THANK YOU SO MUCH! This thread was sorely needed. The greatest crime capitalism ever committed (aside from the mass extinction... heh) was locking science in an ivory tower.
The most enjoyable way to think about heat transfer through radiation is to picture a Star Wars laser battle, where every atom and molecule is constantly firing at every other atom and molecule.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2019, 05:42:40 PM »
THANK YOU SO MUCH! This thread was sorely needed. The greatest crime capitalism ever committed (aside from the mass extinction... heh) was locking science in an ivory tower.
And even if you manage to unlock the data you have to pay for a program to analyse it.
Scientists in less well-off countries spend some time pirating software - since forever.

Back in 1991 in Pakistan I conspired (without guilt) with some scientists to pirate SPSS - the Statistical Package for the Social Sciences (SPSS). I guess that package is still around. IBM bought it in 2009. Will they sue me?
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2019, 04:34:20 PM »
The common joke is that Microsoft sell one copy of each of its software products in Israel.

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2019, 10:34:08 PM »
I have access to some journals -- not the specialty climate journals, but major journals like Nature and Science. Feel free to send me a PM if there's something you need from one of those that you can't find elsewhere.

Aporia_filia

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 109
« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2019, 02:45:01 PM »
I thought of sharing this book with you "The buzz about bees" Biology of a Superorganism - Jürgen Tautz. You can see the introduction in the link:
https://link.springer.com/content/pdf/bfm%3A978-3-540-78729-7%2F1.pdf
But is under copyright. It is a 23.3Mb pdf. Any ideas about how to share it?
(It would go to another thread)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2019, 03:16:17 PM by Aporia_filia »

petm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 318
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2019, 04:44:52 PM »
Dropbox?