Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Antarctic Icebergs  (Read 120749 times)

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 42
Re: Antarctic Icebergs
« Reply #400 on: January 16, 2021, 01:00:57 AM »
A68A has been moving (not grounded) up to 15th January but clouds obscure how much it is breaking up (on Worldview). Lots of bits falling away from A68E since it formed.

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 758
  • Likes Given: 459
« Reply #401 on: January 21, 2021, 07:19:08 PM »
A short inspection of B-22 and its surroundings.
B-22 is slowly moving NNW-wards (green arrow). Thus it widens the sea ice area south of it.
The currents (yellow arrow) in that sea are directed into NW. In the last weeks some larger icebergs have moved to the bottleneck (orange circle). Therefore this gate is now almost closed because these icebergs are grounded in shallow seas.
In this area already are grounded icebergs since 1-2 years (black "x"). The new icebergs are marked with a red "x".
This new barrier will help to slow down the flush out of the sea ice and icebergs which may stabilise the edge of the fast ice that protects Crosson and Thwaites ice shelves.

The red box (upper picture) shows the area of interest (lower picture).

See attached picture. May need a click to enlarge.
It is too late just to be concerned about Climate Change

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: January 28, 2021, 11:16:09 PM »

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 567
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #403 on: January 29, 2021, 07:29:56 AM »
As it gets farther north in warmer waters and the hottest part of summer work on it A68 should be mostly gone by the end of march. IMO

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #404 on: January 29, 2021, 11:54:57 AM »
As it gets farther north in warmer waters and the hottest part of summer work on it A68 should be mostly gone by the end of march. IMO
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-55843384
A major question now is whether the scientific expedition that was aiming to study the iceberg will have anything left to observe by the time it arrives on site.

Researchers will soon board the British Royal Research Ship James Cook in the Falkland Islands and sail east towards South Georgia.

They have other, unrelated investigations to pursue as well, but they were hoping to place some autonomous vehicles around A68a to learn more about its impacts on the environment.

Their study subject has got considerably smaller since the expedition was announced in mid-December.
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: January 30, 2021, 04:31:15 PM »
A68 bits surround South Georgia (cut from Worldview, 30/01/2021) - Top= A68E, Middle= A68D, Bottom= A68A in bits:-

paolo

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 493
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #406 on: February 05, 2021, 02:55:56 PM »
I found on the ESA website this photo of 01/02, the disgregation of A68A was already well advanced ...

Click to enlarge

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #407 on: February 06, 2021, 07:44:06 PM »
A23A in the Weddell sea, which has been floating quite freely this season, appears to have been grounded again. It hasn't budged in the last 4-5 days.

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 10, 2021, 02:36:11 PM »

A23A is still grounded (top NE corner has only moved from Lng -40.52 Lat -76.06 [2000 Mar 05] to Lng -39.86 Lat -75.66 [2018 Dec 05] over 18.75 years!). It has had a tendency block ice flow to the south and east of the Weddell Sea over this time. The Brunt ice shelf to the NE accumulates 1.5m snow/year (which has been burying the BAS Halley stations), so it might be possible that A23A is growing in thickness rather than melting? This iceberg could affect any break-up of the Brunt ice shelf & where the resulting icebergs move, as the natural flow is to the south and west.

A23A has been "dancing a jig" in the last year, twisting and partly turning with no constant centre of rotation, so it may be "rubbing the bottom" but there is no fixed grounding point. The net distances traveled in the last year are approximately:-

NW tip      61.3 km
SW tip      36.6 km
NE tip       41.7 km
SE tip       15.2 km
The NW tip has been twisting from NW -> W -> SW and back so has actually covered a considerably larger distance.

In most of the 2000's A23A has been surrounded by somewhat dispersed ice floes in February except in 2001 when cloud streets show the surrounding sea cleared by the wind and a peninsular built up behind the iceberg.

A23A is not leaving the Weddell Sea anytime soon in my opinion although ice formation to the south may help move it north during the southern winter now that it is not solidly grounded.

(Observations based on Worldview)

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 11, 2021, 04:26:58 PM »
Worldview snapshot of the remains of A68, mostly grinning through the clouds round South Georgia.
The bits of A68A form an arc from bottom right round the island towards the A68E debris at the top left.
A68D is too small to identify amongst the debris - if it has not broken up already?

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 17, 2021, 04:12:15 AM »
British Antarctic Survey have announced "Giant iceberg mission begins" (2nd February 2021) with details of the named parts of A68A after it broke up recently:-

https://www.bas.ac.uk/media-post/giant-iceberg-mission

kassy

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 2041
  • Likes Given: 1986
« Reply #411 on: February 17, 2021, 11:13:06 AM »
Some general ice berg research:

How icebergs really melt -- and what this could mean for climate change

Current models wrongly assume icebergs melt uniformly in warming oceans

Icebergs are melting faster than current models describe, according to a new study by mathematicians at the University of Sydney. The researchers have proposed a new model to more accurately represent the melt speed of icebergs into oceans.

Their results, published in Physical Review Fluids, have implications for oceanographers and climate scientists.

Lead author and PhD student Eric Hester said: "While icebergs are only one part of the global climate system, our improved model provides us with a dial that we can tune to better capture the reality of Earth's changing climate."

Current models, which are incorporated into the methodology used by the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, assume that icebergs melt uniformly in ocean currents. However, Mr Hester and colleagues have shown that icebergs do not melt uniformly and melt at different speeds depending on their shape.

"About 70 percent of the world's freshwater is in the polar ice sheets and we know climate change is causing these ice sheets to shrink," said Mr Hester, a doctoral student in the School of Mathematics & Statistics.

"Some of this ice loss is direct from the ice sheets, but about half of the overall ice loss from Greenland and Antarctica happens when icebergs melt in the ocean, so understanding this process is important.

Co-author Dr Geoffrey Vasil from the University of Sydney said: "Previous work incorporating icebergs in climate simulations used very simple melting models. We wanted to see how accurate those were and whether we could improve on them."

Mr Hester said their models -- confirmed in experiment -- and the observations of oceanographers show that the sides of icebergs melt about twice as fast as their base. For icebergs that are moving in the ocean, melting at the front can be three or four times faster than what the old models predicted.

"The old models assumed that stationary icebergs didn't melt at all, whereas our experiments show melting of about a millimetre every minute," Mr Hester said.

"In icebergs moving in oceans, the melting on the base can be up to 30 percent faster than in old models."

The research shows that iceberg shape is important. Given that the sides melt faster, wide icebergs melt more slowly but smaller, narrower icebergs melt faster.

"Our paper proposes a very simple model that accounts for iceberg shape, as a prototype for an improved model of iceberg melting," Dr Vasil said.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2021/02/210216133415.htm
Þetta minnismerki er til vitnis um að við vitum hvað er að gerast og hvað þarf að gera. Aðeins þú veist hvort við gerðum eitthvað.

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 15, 2021, 09:18:14 PM »
Almost no movement of my "pet iceberg B-22" NW of Thwaites in the last six weeks. Rapid refreeze of formerly open waters around it. Looks like it has finished the preparations for a long winter sleep...

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 20, 2021, 12:44:14 PM »
A68A continues to crack up on Worldview19 March - I make the largest piece to be about 40*12.5 km with white ice covering the sea at the southern end with larger bits of 'bergs scattered around the surrounding ocean. Plenty of visible bits of A68 melting all around South Georgia, concentrated where numbered sections are continuing to disintegrate. Probably plenty of ice hazards for any shipping - might make fishing difficult?

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 13, 2021, 12:03:07 AM »
The last "significant(?)" bit of A68 looks to be falling into "mush" (expanding area of white ice under the clouds) to the north of South Georgia, seen on Worldview, located approximately at long. -33.746, lat. -52.955 on 12 April 2021. There have been many patches of icebergs where other sections of A68 have disintegrated but these icebergs are much too small to be tracked on Worldview. My forecast last year:-

Looking at    arctic.io   antarctic-true color for 19 January:-

In 2019 there are 2 icebergs visible to the 'north-east' of the Antarctic peninsular:-
B15AA  @ long. -40.178, lat. -64.994  (all values approximate)
B16      @ long. -43.930, lat. -62.662
Both icebergs are still moving northward into the south Atlantic now.

In 2020 the northern tip of A68A is @ long. -51.457, lat. -63.473
                 southern end is around @ long. -53.751,  lat. -64.314

It may be that because A68A is more westerly it will get a faster tow northwards than the other 'bergs (if it doesn't ground on any shallow areas). Therefore I expect that A68A will be melting in the South Atlantic this time next year (comments?).

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 13, 2021, 11:05:44 AM »
I have just noticed that the current "Greenland Today" report on Antarctica has details of the way icebergs melt in warmer waters - illustrated by photographs of A68! Well worth viewing.

https://nsidc.org/greenland-today

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 19, 2021, 05:35:02 AM »

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #417 on: April 19, 2021, 05:26:39 PM »
Re A68's impending demise [A68A is still 3 x 2 km, per the article, but no longer 'worthy of being tracked' and , I guess, no longer an "ice island", but just an iceberg]:  I was thinking RIP, but MWSW (Merge with Southern Waters) is probably a more appropriate precept!
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: May 02, 2021, 09:40:21 AM »
Almost no movement of my "pet iceberg B-22" NW of Thwaites in the last six weeks. Rapid refreeze of formerly open waters around it. Looks like it has finished the preparations for a long winter sleep...
A small northward movement in the last six weeks. No further breakup or calving observed.

grixm

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 374
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #419 on: May 03, 2021, 01:40:37 PM »
A small northward movement in the last six weeks. No further breakup or calving observed.
Moved quite a bit last few days, not sure if this is what you meant or if it moved even more since yesterday. This is a comparison between now and one week ago:

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: May 03, 2021, 02:40:34 PM »
I had used the "comparison mode" in Sentinel between mid-Feb 2021 and late April 2021 and I observed a small, almost uniform northward movement. Your actual gif (thank you!) shows a rotation around its eastern corner (grounding there?).
For me still the opening of the SW corner is of big importance as many smaller icebergs sit there grounded for (many) years which block the outflow of sea ice and icebergs from the usually open waters (in summer) south of B-22.

baking

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #421 on: May 03, 2021, 04:47:58 PM »
Latest rotation seems to have been May  1.  There was also a shift in mid-April.  Before that, there was a big move in the second week of January.  But on the whole it has been relatively stable compared with last year.

Riverside

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #422 on: May 03, 2021, 07:57:34 PM »
The May issue of National Geographic (US of A edition, perhaps other editions) has a two page spread (pp 26-27) showing the path of and changes to A-68 from Larsen C in July 2017 to and around South Georgia Island March this year. This nice bit of cartography sums up in visual form much of the related discussion on this thread. I couldn't find an on-line version of this, so if you want to see this you are probably stuck with using the antique medium of paper magazines.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 08:55:38 PM by Riverside »

Bernard

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #423 on: May 19, 2021, 04:49:05 PM »
https://phys.org/news/2021-05-image-world-largest-iceberg.html

A-76 is the new big one, area 4320 km2. Am I the first one here to read the news?

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 826
« Reply #424 on: May 19, 2021, 05:10:27 PM »
Paolo showed an earlier image of the just-created ice island on May 13 in the Ronne and Ross Ice Shelf thread.  Appropriate for you to mention it here.

For comparison, A-68 was initially (in 2017) about 5800 sq km, but now, of course, is about "0" sq km.

Additional comparison: South Australia's Kangaroo Island is 4,374 sq km.  (I'd rather live on this 'Island of the Dead'.)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 02:17:54 AM by Tor Bejnar »
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things because "we cannot negotiate with the melting point of ice"

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5289
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #425 on: May 19, 2021, 09:21:39 PM »
It made Bloomberg news (but only the green section)

World’s Largest Iceberg Breaks Off in Antarctica as Glaciers Retreat

"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

paolo

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 19, 2021, 10:02:48 PM »
I find it a bit strange that this forum reacts more to external (late) announcements than to announcements from the forum contributors themselves  :(

It is not for me that I react, but for the forum itself    ;)

Moreover the estimation of the surface, even if calculated quickly, was good: 4292 km² against the 4320 km² given by the ESA.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3584
  • Likes Given: 3922
« Reply #427 on: May 19, 2021, 10:17:02 PM »
It appears worthwhile, when identifying a massive calving of such size in one of the glacier or ice shelf specific thread, to report it in this more general thread as well, for the sake of less frequent readers.

baking

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 19, 2021, 10:25:06 PM »
It appears worthwhile, when identifying a massive calving of such size in one of the glacier or ice shelf specific thread, to report it in this more general thread as well, for the sake of less frequent readers.
I agree.  This is the first I've seen of it because I didn't read the other thread.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 19, 2021, 10:55:06 PM »
I should have thought of cross-posting that immediately when I saw it there (I normally read all threads with minimal delay).

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 21, 2021, 01:28:17 AM »
Paolo I too have noticed that more timely observations by forum members get less response than external news stories.

GrauerMausling

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #431 on: May 21, 2021, 10:26:10 AM »
I find it a bit strange that this forum reacts more to external (late) announcements than to announcements from the forum contributors themselves  :(

It is not for me that I react, but for the forum itself    ;)

Moreover the estimation of the surface, even if calculated quickly, was good: 4292 km² against the 4320 km² given by the ESA.

When I saw it in the 'normal' news, I thought - well that is old news, I already know that :-)! So please keep up the good work!

HapHazard

• Grease ice
  • Chillin' on Cold Mountain.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 284
  • Likes Given: 5241
« Reply #432 on: May 21, 2021, 11:34:34 AM »
When I saw it in the 'normal' news, I thought - well that is old news, I already know that :-)! So please keep up the good work!

Same here. I don't comment much, and I also don't click on pics much (I normally can see charts just fine without enlarging, so "image views" are misleading, I suspect) but I keep up to date on every thread in the Cryo section. I did long before I even registered here, even.

I know I'm not alone.
If I call you out but go no further, the reason is Brandolini's law.

Tealight

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
    • CryosphereComputing
  • Liked: 176
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #433 on: May 22, 2021, 02:35:46 PM »
A fairly large piece which broke off from B22 somewhat recently (several months ago) made it past the underwater ridge the main iceberg is still stuck on. It is now in very deep water just in front of the Dotson Ice Shelf. I believe it is the first big piece to leave the area since the iceberg became stuck there 8-9 years ago.

Jim Hunt

• First-year ice
  • Don't Vote NatC or PopCon, Save Lives!
    • View Profile
    • The Arctic sea ice Great White Con
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #434 on: May 23, 2021, 12:21:45 PM »

I plead "Not Guilty!" your honour!

https://twitter.com/GreatWhiteCon/status/1394172675346546690
"The most revolutionary thing one can do always is to proclaim loudly what is happening" - Rosa Luxemburg

Stephan

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: May 23, 2021, 10:23:50 PM »
Thank you tealight for that information.
I have watched that iceberg for a while now, see postings in this thread above.
Last week I checked Sentinel and it was still grounded N of Bear Peninsula, some 20-30 km east of its actual position. So now it is on the move with the currents...

paolo

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: May 26, 2021, 09:33:11 AM »
A76 has already broken into three pieces, see first picture: A76*, A76** and A76*** (provisional notation, waiting for the official notation).
I also note A76-b and A76-c the two small pieces that were formed during the calving.

Very large image, click to enlarge

I'm also publishing an image of the Iceberg from yesterday, which I had already prepared for publication, in which I had noted all the characteristics of the iceberg. I have recalculated the surface area by adding three pieces (to me dubious) and I still find a slightly smaller surface area: 4312 against 4320, but, considering the perimeter, the two measurements are clearly equivalent.
This image is an animation based on the raw image and the commented image.

Very large image, click to animate and enlarge

Note: this afternoon I will give the estimated areas of the three pieces of A76

Correction: Modified the first image: the notations for the two small icebergs A76-b and A76-c were missing
« Last Edit: May 26, 2021, 09:41:04 AM by paolo »

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 26, 2021, 03:09:36 PM »
In the images above there is an interesting white "scar" in the ice shelf where A76 broke off - in the year 2000 when a previous calving took place the break-up continued further east along the front - it may happen again?

paolo

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 26, 2021, 07:40:48 PM »
As promised the image with the measurements: surface, length and height of the three icebergs.
You can see that the sum of the three surfaces gives 4310 which is very close to the 4312 value given yesterday for the surface of the whole iceberg, which definitely validates the values given.

FredBear, you have just criticized me for posting the calving information on the wrong thread (I take this opportunity to thank you for copying it to the right thread), but now you are asking about the Ronne Ice Shelf in the Icebergs thread...
I think I understood you to be referring to the rift that had recently opened up inside an old rift, an old rift that had since re-sealed. It was the new rift that led to the recent calving.
I had already scheduled a post about the recent history of this calving, in which I would respond to you, but it will be in the Ronne Ice Shelf thread

Click to enlarge.

Bernard

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #439 on: May 26, 2021, 11:40:09 PM »

Guilty as charged, but I don't feel strange at all. Many (most?) followers of this forum, I guess, are not following all the threads on a daily basis (that would be a full-time job). They have other sources, and don't necessarily check every possible thread, or search the forum archives, before posting a not-so-new news read elsewhere. Is noise better than silence? That's the question...

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 27, 2021, 02:22:57 PM »
I have just noticed that the current "Greenland Today" report on Antarctica has details of the way icebergs melt in warmer waters - illustrated by photographs of A68! Well worth viewing.

https://nsidc.org/greenland-today
The above link has updated, the page I was referring to is:-

https://nsidc.org/greenland-today/2021/02/improved-processing-low-melt-so-far

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 28, 2021, 02:02:44 AM »

Guilty as charged, but I don't feel strange at all. Many (most?) followers of this forum, I guess, are not following all the threads on a daily basis (that would be a full-time job). They have other sources, and don't necessarily check every possible thread, or search the forum archives, before posting a not-so-new news read elsewhere. Is noise better than silence? That's the question...
Noise is better than silence but that is not the question at all. Some contributors go through considerable effort to share  information as it becomes available. At times these efforts get no comments. That is ok too I know that I appreciate the information even if I have nothing to add to the conversation. The frustrating part is when you spend the time to create content and get no response only to have someone paste on article about the same information two months later generate a long discussion about it. I suspect this has more to do with the way the information is presented then any intentional slight. When I present information sometimes I just say something like coal generation increased from 50 twh last year to 60 twh this year. There does not generate much discussion. Sure it is not the direction we want to go but there is nothing really to add to that. A professional writer is paid to make it as interesting as possible. I think the way they present the information has more impact in generating the discussion. I am not sure how they manage that but I am far from being a professional writer.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 28, 2021, 03:48:26 AM »
It's the curse of the very professional/scientific contributor (not me luckily), most people are happy to read the posts but don't feel up to the standard of making an intelligent response. The forum's readership is much wider than appears from the responses. Often a new user making a first post will comment how they have been reading for years.
As a reader of various esoteric subjects where good posts go unanswered due to the above effect, I will often press Like or on some occasions post a short "thank you" comment, to provide some feedback to those very contributors who make the forum what it is.

baking

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 28, 2021, 04:32:45 AM »
Oren,
I know Simple Machines can be configured to note who liked an individual post, or at least some other forums that use a version of the software are configured that way.  Here, when I like a post, it gets added to the author's total likes, but there is no indication of which post I liked or when.  If you want to encourage people "upvoting" posts without needing to comment on them, perhaps there might be a way to enable that here.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: May 28, 2021, 04:42:25 AM »
Oren,
I know Simple Machines can be configured to note who liked an individual post, or at least some other forums that use a version of the software are configured that way.  Here, when I like a post, it gets added to the author's total likes, but there is no indication of which post I liked or when.  If you want to encourage people "upvoting" posts without needing to comment on them, perhaps there might be a way to enable that here.
If you can determine which mod it is and suggest it to Neven that sounds good.

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 28, 2021, 04:45:26 AM »
Each user can check which of his/her posts were liked and how many times by clicking
Profile-Show Posts-Liked. The same can be checked for other users. Also can be checked Likes given by a specific user. So if one cares enough some detailed info can be found.
It has been decided early on that it was not desirable to encourage "rating wars" and thus to hide who liked what and the number of likes for each post. Even as it is, many old-timers shun the Like system (probably because it "stinks" of social media) and its usage in general is quite limited. I still find it useful though both to give and get feedback.

Back to topic...

FredBear

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: June 04, 2021, 02:10:43 AM »
Some more "old" news - A76 has broken up (May 17/18) and given the title "World's Largest Existing Iceberg" back to A23A   .    .    . for more details:-

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/images/148388/sizing-up-a-tabular-iceberg?fbclid=IwAR2ZEllXQBKmui_EzitS6CaThW7VuydO2WyMO-8LOwct78ERxdTaenzsFdU

paolo

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: June 04, 2021, 12:00:39 PM »
I take advantage of the official naming of the three pieces to present the latest animation of A76 based on the Sentinel1 images, which are 6 days apart from the last one which is only 4 days apart: 13/05, 19/05, 25/05, 31/05 and 04/06
I have placed the new names: A76A, A76B and A76C, as well as the (unofficial) names of two small pieces that separated at calving: A76b and A76-c.

paolo

• Grease ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: June 18, 2021, 02:40:07 PM »
Seen by chance, a nice game of billiards:

The iceberg D28 (see first picture; Amery 16/03/2020), after a long journey arrived in front of the "Princess Ragnhild Coast" (see second picture for the map; map to which I added the indication of two anonymous Tongues) and there it demolished the two Tongues.

At the beginning one Iceberg, at the end 6 Icebergs  ;)

Click to enlarge and to animate the last image

oren

• First-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: June 18, 2021, 04:27:05 PM »
Nice discovery. One can only imagine what the collisions looked like up close.