Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Atmospheric circulation in the Z direction  (Read 1340 times)

Sam

Atmospheric circulation in the Z direction
« on: March 02, 2018, 08:37:07 AM »
Ok - I give.  This should be simple, yet I have never found an answer.

Are there any websites monitoring actual atmospheric data (plots) and projections showing the magnitude of the z axis of movement of the air (up-down) at various elevations or pressure potentials.

That would seem to be extremely important information for understanding what the atmosphere is doing. And, that should be at fixed elevations rather than pressure levels if it is to have meaning.

We see a lot of plots of lateral movement (longitudinal and latitudinal) at fixed pressure potentials, but not the z component and magnitude.

Recently, the changes in the arctic jet stream, and the splitting of the polar circulation make me wonder if the atmosphere might be trying to force a two cell circulation (hence upflow from the Arctic Ocean). That should be highly unstable, if it is happening.  But if it is happening due to he reduced polar-Arctic heat differential (driving force of the heat engine), then it may try anyway. If it does, that should result in all sorts of odd behavior in the atmosphere. And, is that what we are seeing.

That also then portends pretty weird things for the ice.

Sam

Archimid

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 899
  • Likes Given: 206
Re: Atmospheric circulation in the Z direction
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 01:58:59 PM »
+1
I am an energy reservoir seemingly intent on lowering entropy for self preservation.