Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: Supreme Court  (Read 162 times)

Tom_Mazanec

• Young ice
  • Earth will survive AGW...but will Homo sapiens?
    • View Profile
    • Planet Mazanec
  • Liked: 632
  • Likes Given: 613
Supreme Court
« on: April 09, 2021, 06:06:36 PM »
Biden Sets Up Commission To Study Supreme Court Reform
https://www.npr.org/2021/04/09/985738915/biden-sets-up-commission-to-study-supreme-court-reform
"The Commission's purpose is to provide an analysis of the principal arguments in the contemporary public debate for and against Supreme Court reform, including an appraisal of the merits and legality of particular reform proposals," the White House said in a statement. "The topics it will examine include the genesis of the reform debate; the Court's role in the Constitutional system; the length of service and turnover of justices on the Court; the membership and size of the Court; and the Court's case selection, rules, and practices."
If this is not handled very carefully it risks setting off a battle royal in the Culture Wars.
SHARKS (CROSSED OUT) MONGEESE (SIC) WITH FRICKIN LASER BEAMS ATTACHED TO THEIR HEADS

interstitial

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 291
  • Likes Given: 78
Re: Supreme Court
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 02:54:31 AM »
I doubt that there is enough support to make any changes here but I have been wrong before.

The Walrus

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 04:46:05 AM »
I agree.  This would set a very bad precedent.

Tor Bejnar

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 671
  • Likes Given: 508
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 04:46:47 AM »
I read somewhere today that setting up a commission in Washington, D.C. is a sure way to kill whatever the commission was to study.
Arctic ice is healthy for children and other living things.

etienne

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
    • About energy
  • Liked: 195
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2021, 07:12:20 AM »
I read somewhere today that setting up a commission in Washington, D.C. is a sure way to kill whatever the commission was to study.
To kill is probably a too strong word, looking at the Luxembourgish situation, I would say to delay any action. But here I feel that direct action wouldn't have been possible anyway, so maybe it's a good path to follow. But I have no idea what could come out of it. I feel that the problem nowadays is more a clan feeling inside the parties than the nomination process.