Support the Arctic Sea Ice Forum and Blog

Author Topic: The Trump  (Read 1487732 times)

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 573
Re: The Trump
« Reply #6700 on: August 28, 2023, 03:00:16 PM »
web.p image, can't post)

Open in a browser then use snip to save as jpeg or similar.

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6701 on: August 28, 2023, 03:56:11 PM »
A reminder for those that think Trump is being persecuted by the "Dems"

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 488
« Reply #6702 on: August 28, 2023, 05:40:59 PM »
A federal judge has set March 4 as the trial date for Trump.  The day before super Tuesday.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #6703 on: August 28, 2023, 05:53:30 PM »
A reminder for those that think Trump is being persecuted by the "Dems"

You are certainly convinced about something supposedly important. Good for you! :)
It's wealth, constantly seeking more wealth, to better seek still more wealth. Building wealth off of destruction. That's what's consuming the world. And is driving humans crazy at the same time.

Reginald

• New ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6704 on: August 29, 2023, 06:15:47 AM »

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 3519
  • Likes Given: 755
« Reply #6705 on: August 31, 2023, 12:29:55 AM »
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 220
  • Likes Given: 129
« Reply #6706 on: September 08, 2023, 12:09:39 AM »

Matt Ortega
@MattOrtega
28 Nov 2020
Donald J. Trump Presidential Library and Correctional Facility

Nov 28, 2020 · 8:34 PM UTC

@EdwardM26438068
4h
Replying to @MattOrtega @nycsouthpaw
$25 cover charge.

@emptywheel
28 Nov 2020
Replying to @MattOrtega
It seems like if you fucked with his head enough, he'd refuse to do a library to own the libs.

@TheKK
28 Nov 2020
Replying to @MattOrtega
Presidential Penitentiary has a nice ring to it

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #6707 on: September 10, 2023, 03:40:50 AM »
I didn't realize how insightful and principled Alan Dershowitz was. He very much aligns with my own views, values and opinions about Trump, the trumped up charges, the unjust judicial system, the corrupt political system and the insidious media of the USA.

Good one Alan. He wins my Kookaburra Award for the Month!

you couldn't buy it on Martha's Vineyard
where people read, I vacation there you
couldn't buy Get Trump on Martha's
Vineyard, you couldn't get it in the
libraries. My books were banned by the
Chillmark library for a period of time.
They wouldn't allow me to speak at the
local synagogue. Wouldn't allow me to
speak at the book fair. Wouldn't allow me to
speak about Get Trump. The community
center wouldn't allow me to speak and
it's not about me being canceled I could
care less -- no, it's about the public being
denied the right to listen to a different
point of view

............ Look I taught at Harvard
University for 50 years. 10,000
students, then I left and guess what
happened? Harvard University yesterday
was ranked the worst university in the
United States for free speech, not the
second worst that was probably Colombia
not the third worst that may have been
the University in Pennsylvania but the
number one worst-Zero and it would have
been below zero had they allowed the
score to go below zero row and that's
what's happening today at Harvard
University you cannot hear my point of
view.

Oh well, shit happens I guess.

It's wealth, constantly seeking more wealth, to better seek still more wealth. Building wealth off of destruction. That's what's consuming the world. And is driving humans crazy at the same time.

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6708 on: September 10, 2023, 10:32:32 PM »
Ok sean....

I laughed so hard, i finally had to give you a Like for that one.....

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #6709 on: September 11, 2023, 01:52:01 AM »
It's a miracle.  8)

Paddy

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #6710 on: September 13, 2023, 08:29:23 PM »
It seems some Russians are hoping Trump will bring a civil war to Russia’s rival in modern day imperialism:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/donald-trump-celebrated-as-destroyer-of-america-on-russian-state-tv/ar-AA1gFbvH

A Russian academic has described former President Donald Trump as "the destroyer" of America on state TV.

Andrey Sidorov, deputy dean of world politics at Moscow State University, made the remarks on the Russian talk show Evening with Vladimir Solovyov.

A clip posted on X, formerly Twitter, on Tuesday shows Sidorov, Solovyov and other guests discussing their support for Trump and suggesting he could bring about "civil war" in the U.S.

In the footage shared by Julia Davis, founder of the Russian Media Monitor group, Sidorov declared: "I am for Trump, I always was for Trump." The GOP frontrunner is "the destroyer," he added, and the U.S. would "fall apart" if Trump is re-elected in 2024.

Every iPhone Can Turn Off Ads, Most Owners Didn't Know How
Ad
First Security Tips
Every iPhone Can Turn Off Ads, Most Owners Didn't Know How
"If he gets elected, everything we said about civil war will be on their agenda, in reality. If one of the Democrats gets elected, this beat will go on," Sidorov said. "Trump can really get it to the point that our geopolitical adversary will fall apart—without any missiles."

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6711 on: September 27, 2023, 11:20:55 AM »
Trump Basically Just Lost the New York Bank Fraud Case Before It Even Started

A judge in the New York Attorney General's bank fraud case against Trump just deemed the former president and his heirs liable for “persistent and repeated fraud.”

Former President Donald Trump, his top executives, and heirs were declared completely liable of “persistent and repeated fraud”—and the real estate empire was unceremoniously stripped of its business licenses in New York—after a judge’s powerful ruling Tuesday ahead of a massive trial that seeks to hit them with more than $250 million in penalties for bank fraud.

And in a stunning development, the judge has already ordered the complete dissolution of the fabled Trump Organization–the tycoon’s pride and joy, the empire that made him famous and elevated him into the White House. The Trump Organization and its sister companies will be sent into receivership to be under the control of a court-appointed officer.

Even before the trial officially starts, the ruling handed New York Attorney General Letitia James a near total victory, meaning that next week’s trial will mostly focus on damages that could pulverize whatever is left of Trump’s many business entities and bank accounts.

In his 35-page opinion, Justice Arthur F. Engoron tore apart what he called the Trump family’s “bogus arguments” and obstreperous conduct. And he summed up the entire defense as “a fantasy world, not the real world.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-basically-just-lost-the-new-york-bank-fraud-case-before-it-even-started

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6712 on: September 28, 2023, 12:56:34 AM »
Trump administration officials ordered to testify on family separations

A federal magistrate judge in California has ordered a pair of top Trump administration officials to testify in a 2021 lawsuit that migrant parents and children filed against the U.S. government for separating them at the southern border.
Sign up for Fact Checker, our weekly review of what's true, false or in-between in politics.

Magistrate Judge Kandis Westmore on Monday told the Department of Justice and lawyers for migrant families to meet immediately to schedule the depositions of former homeland security secretary Kirstjen Nielsen and ex-attorney general Jeff Sessions.

Lawyers said the depositions would mark the first time the former officials have been ordered to testify in one of dozens of lawsuits filed against the federal government seeking millions of dollars in damages for allegedly intentionally inflicting emotional distress on migrant families.

Lawyers for migrants say U.S. officials slowed family reunifications

In her decision, Westmore wrote that lawyers representing three families in the California case may depose the former officials because they allege that the agency acted in bad faith to separate undocumented immigrants from their minor children. Sessions and Nielsen also have “unique personal knowledge of their own intent” in making the zero-tolerance policy.
Advertisement

The judge also criticized the Justice Department, which represents the government in court, for initially saying “dozens of people” were involved in creating the policy and signaling that Sessions and Nielsen’s testimony was unnecessary. Then in September, the judge said, the government reversed course to say that only Sessions and Nielsen could have known the policy’s goals.

Westmore wrote that she was “disappointed” by the reversal and the government’s opposition to the depositions.

“Such an injustice cannot stand,” she wrote.

The Trump administration separated more than 3,000 children from their parents along the Mexican border in May and June 2018, the official period of the administration’s “zero tolerance” policy. More than 5,500 children were separated from their parents during Donald Trump’s term as president.

Sessions and Nielsen approved the policy documents that put the separations in motion, records show.

Trump administration officials said they implemented the policy to criminally prosecute parents who crossed the border illegally, typically a misdemeanor offense. But the administration did not have a plan to reunite the families and deported hundreds of parents without their children. Lawyers said many parents were never prosecuted, including two of the three parents in the California lawsuit.

The Justice Department declined to say Tuesday if the agency will appeal the decision.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/immigration/2023/09/26/migrant-families-separation-trump-administration/

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #6713 on: September 28, 2023, 04:34:07 AM »
Trump Basically Just Lost the New York Bank Fraud Case Before It Even Started

A judge in the New York Attorney General's bank fraud case against Trump just deemed the former president and his heirs liable for “persistent and repeated fraud.”

Former President Donald Trump, his top executives, and heirs were declared completely liable of “persistent and repeated fraud”—and the real estate empire was unceremoniously stripped of its business licenses in New York—after a judge’s powerful ruling Tuesday ahead of a massive trial that seeks to hit them with more than $250 million in penalties for bank fraud.

And in a stunning development, the judge has already ordered the complete dissolution of the fabled Trump Organization–the tycoon’s pride and joy, the empire that made him famous and elevated him into the White House. The Trump Organization and its sister companies will be sent into receivership to be under the control of a court-appointed officer.

Even before the trial officially starts, the ruling handed New York Attorney General Letitia James a near total victory, meaning that next week’s trial will mostly focus on damages that could pulverize whatever is left of Trump’s many business entities and bank accounts.

In his 35-page opinion, Justice Arthur F. Engoron tore apart what he called the Trump family’s “bogus arguments” and obstreperous conduct. And he summed up the entire defense as “a fantasy world, not the real world.”

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-basically-just-lost-the-new-york-bank-fraud-case-before-it-even-started

Sounds grim for Trump and co ...

here's the full judgment because no one should trust the US media to report accurately or in full

35-page opinion, Justice Arthur F. Engoron 

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/trump-judges-ruling/ce6de7d636227e1b/full.pdf

[ i've not read it yet. ]

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #6714 on: September 28, 2023, 08:10:07 AM »
Trump administration officials ordered to testify on family separations

Big deal? People are always suing the US govt ... immigrants asylum seekers do the same here in australia all the time ... hardly a "trump" issue.

They also sued the Obama administration too but he's still believed to be a BLACK SAINT .... and isn't. (shrug) over a storm in a tea cup. The usa immigration situation is what it is - Before during and after trump. and will remain so. There's loads of other reasons to not like Trump and his policies or ideas.

I think the more critical question is will they assassinate him before or after the next election when he wins it?

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #6715 on: September 28, 2023, 09:57:11 AM »
Sounds grim for Trump and co ...

here's the full judgment because no one should trust the US media to report accurately or in full

35-page opinion, Justice Arthur F. Engoron 

https://int.nyt.com/data/documenttools/trump-judges-ruling/ce6de7d636227e1b/full.pdf

[ i've not read it yet. ]

I like this Judge, very witty, lovely banter. Only almost through the defendants dismissal plea ...they lost. here's one quote fwiw

Defendants arguments that the factual record developed in discovery changed the landscape
under which standing should be viewed is legally preposterous . The best that defendants could
muster at oral argument was to contend ( incorrectly ) that plaintiff cannot sue because the subject
transactions were between private entities , and nobody lost money . However , that is purely an
argument on the merits , not an argument on standing . Taken to its logical extreme , absolutely
any time a defendant denies liability , it could move to dismiss on the ground of lack of standing . 

Exacerbating defendants obstreperous conduct is their continued reliance on bogus arguments ,
in papers and oral argument . In defendants world : rent regulated apartments are worth the same as unregulated apartments ; restricted land is worth the same as unrestricted land; restrictions can
evaporate into thin air ; a disclaimer by one party casting responsibility on another party
exonerates the other party's lies ; the Attorney General of the State of New York does not have
capacity to sue or standing to sue ( never mind all those cases where the Attorney General has
sued successfully ) under a statute expressly designed to provide that right ; all illegal acts are
untimely if they stem from one untimely act ; and square footage subjective .

That is a fantasy world, not the real world

Looks terrible for Trump and co ... likely to be banned for doing any business activity in NY state for life! Ouch.

But here's the rub ... one could say this is politically motivated to stop his push for president. That could be argued well.

On the other hand the question/s exist as to why he had never been prosecuted long before he ever ran for public office and the presidency?

Because that may well be argued that never occurred because it was politically motivated.

and we all know good mates Trump was with The Clintons who live in NY State and Hillary was the good senator from NY state .... which side do you like bread buttered on?

Friends do have fall outs. ;-)

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #6716 on: September 28, 2023, 11:56:27 AM »
 .... pg 21

This instant action is essentially a documents case." As detailed infra, the documents here
clearly contain fraudulent valuations that defendants used in business, satisfying burden
to establish liability as a matter of law against defendants. Defendants respond that: the
documents do not say what they say; that there is no such thing as objective" value;
and that, essentially, the Court should not believe its own eyes.

Notes 9 -- As Chico Marx, playing Chicolini, says to Margaret Dumont, playing Mrs. Gloria Teasdale, in "Duck Soup" - "well, who ya gonna believe, me or your own eyes?"

I laughed so hard I almost choked reading this next part ....
The Trump Tower Triplex
This Court takes judicial notice that the Trump Tower apartment in which Donald Trump residedfor decades (the Triplex ) is 10,996 square feet . NYSCEF Doc . No. 816 at 2. Between 2012 2016 , Donald Trump submitted SFCs falsely claiming that the Triplex was 30,000 square feet ,resulting in an overvaluation of between $ 114-207 million dollars . 

The misrepresentation continued even after defendants received written notification from Forbes that Donald Trump had been overestimating the square footage of the Triplex by a factor of Three. 11.

In opposition , defendants absurdly suggest that the calculation of square footage is a subjective process that could lead to differing results or opinions based on the method employed to conduct the calculation 12. NYSCEF Doc . No. 1293 at 20.

Well yes , perhaps , if the area is rounded or oddly shaped , it is possible measurements of square footage could come to slightly differing results due to user error. Good - faith measurements could vary by as much as 10-20% , not 200% .

A discrepancy of this order of magnitude, by a real estate developer sizing up his own living
space of decades
, can only be considered fraud.

OAG unquestionably satisfies its two- prong burden of demonstrating the SFCs from 2012-2016
calculated the value of the Triplex based on a false and misleading square footage, and that some
of the defendants repeatedly and persistently used the SFCs to transact business.

Notes: 11 - Three days after receiving a written inquiry from Forbes, Trump Organization Vice President, Amanda Miller, sent an email to Trump Organization Executive Vice President and Chief Legal Officer , Alan Garten, indicating that she spoke to Allen W [ eisselberg ] re: Trump World Tower and Trump Tower] we are going to leave those alone ." NYSCEF Doc . No. 821.

Although OAG need not show intent to deceive under a standalone 63 ( 12) cause of action , this directive to continue to use a grossly inflated number despite clear knowledge it is false demonstrates the repetitive and ongoing nature of defendants propensity to engage in fraud .

12 Despite this assertion in their motion papers , counsel for defendants , Christopher Kise , Esq, conceded during oral argument held on September 22 , 2023 , that square footage is , in fact , an objective number .

13  In fact , OAG demonstrates that as of 2012 , no apartment sold in New York City had ever approached the price at which defendants valued the Triplex , noting that the highest overall sale at that time was $ 88 million for a Central Park West penthouse . The SFCs valued the Triplex at a staggering $ 180 mil. - $ 327 mil. for the years 2012-2016 .

(smile) Oh dear, poor Donald.

NevB

• Frazil ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6717 on: September 29, 2023, 01:36:39 PM »
This is why this thread shouldn't have to even exist.

https://x.com/Acyn/status/1707464799209070665?s=20

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #6718 on: September 29, 2023, 03:09:41 PM »
Rivals turn on Trump in Republican debate | Planet America | ABC News Australia

nadir

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 250
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #6719 on: September 29, 2023, 07:40:15 PM »
What happened to the video of Alan Dershowitz.

Material like this makes the existence of this thread reasonable.

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #6720 on: September 30, 2023, 02:18:13 AM »

Is it this one?
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1748.msg381330.html#msg381330

or another you are thinking of?

Neven

• Administrator
  • First-year ice
    • View Profile
    • Arctic Sea Ice Blog
  • Liked: 1337
  • Likes Given: 618
« Reply #6721 on: October 03, 2023, 10:44:59 AM »
This is why this thread shouldn't have to even exist.

https://x.com/Acyn/status/1707464799209070665?s=20

Reminded me of this:

The enemy is within
Don't confuse me with him

E. Smith

nadir

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6722 on: October 03, 2023, 11:07:55 AM »

Is it this one?
https://forum.arctic-sea-ice.net/index.php/topic,1748.msg381330.html#msg381330

or another you are thinking of?
Yes thanks

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6723 on: March 02, 2024, 07:22:18 PM »
Trump gave top US firms staggering tax cuts, with some paying $0 or less – report
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/feb/29/trump-tax-cuts-us-companies

Some of the US’s most profitable corporations, including General Motors, Citigroup and Netflix, have slashed their tax bills in the years since the passage of the Trump tax cuts, with nearly a quarter paying rates in the single digits and 23 paying nothing, a report has found.

The 2017 law cut the top corporate income tax rate from 35% to 21%. But the new assessment of corporate tax avoidance, published on Thursday by the non-profit Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy (Itep), found that during the first five years the law was in effect, many profitable public companies in the US paid a far lower rate in practice.

Together, the 342 corporations studied by Itep paid an average effective tax rate of just 14.1%. Eighty-seven companies paid an average of less than 10%; 55 of those firms paid less than 5%; and 23 corporations, including T-Mobile US and Xcel Energy, paid zero (or less) federal income tax over the five-year period – even though they made a profit each year.

... Between 2018 and 2022, Bank of America brought home more than $138bn in profits, yet the company paid only $5.3bn in federal income tax – an effective rate of 3.8%, Itep found.

During the first five years of the Trump law, Salesforce paid only $175m in taxes on some $6bn in profits, according to the Itep report.

Report: Corporate Tax Avoidance in the First Five Years of the Trump Tax Law
https://itep.org/corporate-tax-avoidance-trump-tax-law/
“There are three classes of people: those who see. Those who see when they are shown. Those who do not see.” ― anonymous

Insensible before the wave so soon released by callous fate. Affected most, they understand the least, and understanding, when it comes, invariably arrives too late

SeanAU

• Young ice
    • View Profile
    • Meta-Crisis
« Reply #6724 on: March 03, 2024, 03:18:52 AM »
Trump gave top US firms staggering tax cuts, with some paying $0 or less – report

More TDS.

Please get a grip, this is a global problem of abuse by Corporates controlling Govts. 

Not that this clown reads anyone's comments. All he has is his Fire Hose of never-ending copy/paste newspaper reports from CORRUPT BIASED LOSERS in the MSM

nadir

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6725 on: March 04, 2024, 07:26:52 PM »
Talking about with TDS, trigger warning:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-rules-trump-cannot-kicked-colorado-ballot-rcna132291

US Supreme Court unanimous decision.

What the judges of the supreme court most disliked about Colorado decision to remove Trump out of the ballot is that the state had erected itself as Judge, Jury, and Executioner about the alleged insurrection of Trump on Jan 6, with no actual due process.

The Democratic Party of the US is the most anti-democratic party disguised of virtue and justice.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2024, 07:33:27 PM by nadir »

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 651
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #6726 on: March 05, 2024, 02:35:44 AM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/supreme-court/supreme-court-rules-trump-cannot-kicked-colorado-ballot-rcna132291

What the judges of the supreme court most disliked about Colorado decision to remove Trump out of the ballot is that the state had erected itself as Judge, Jury, and Executioner about the alleged insurrection of Trump on Jan 6, with no actual due process.

The Democratic Party of the US is the most anti-democratic party disguised of virtue and justice.

I think you mean US politics is the most anti-democratic example of a democracy disguised as virtuous and just and rules-based.

nadir

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6727 on: March 05, 2024, 03:14:37 AM »

I think you mean US politics is the most anti-democratic example of a democracy disguised as virtuous and just and rules-based.

Right. That system that is disguised as many things that really aren’t.

vox_mundi

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6728 on: March 12, 2024, 09:27:24 PM »
Immigrants found to be significantly less likely to commit crimes than the US-born
https://phys.org/news/2024-03-immigrants-significantly-commit-crimes-born.html

Existing Evidence on Immigrant and US-born Incarceration Rates. Notes: This figure plots historical incarceration rates of immigrants and US-born individuals from Moehling and Piehl (2014) as well as modern incarceration rates from Butcher and Piehl (2007). The historical incarceration rates are based on US-born and immigrant individuals aged 18-44 who were incarcerated in state correctional facilities in eight “high immigration states:” Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Michigan, and California. The modern incarceration rates correspond to institutionalization rates among all US-born and immigrant men ages 18-40 from sub-samples of the decennial Censuses. Credit: NBER (2023). DOI: 10.3386/w31440

Some Americans believe that undocumented immigrants are a criminal threat to society. Former President Donald J. Trump has leveraged this assumption to inflame the rhetoric around immigration from the U.S.-Mexico border.

A study co-led by Northwestern University economist Elisa Jácome provides the first historical comparison of incarceration rates of immigrants to U.S.-born citizens.

Using incarceration rates as a proxy for crime, a team of economists analyzed 150 years of U.S. Census data and found immigrants were consistently less likely to be incarcerated than people born in the U.S.

Starting with the 1870 U.S. Census—the first to include the full population, including those formerly enslaved—through the most recent in 2020, which collects data nationwide, including from correctional facilities, the researchers measured the gaps between immigrant and U.S.-born levels of incarceration.

Over that 150-year period, they found that immigrants' incarceration rate was only slightly lower than that of U.S.-born men. However, in the more recent time period, immigrants are 60% less likely to be incarcerated than U.S.-born citizens and 30% less likely relative to U.S.-born whites.

"Our study shows that since 1870, it has never been the case that immigrants as a group have been more incarcerated than the U.S.-born," Jácome said.

... "The impact of immigration on the economy is a multifaceted topic, and crime is just one of the factors," Jácome said. "To get a holistic picture, policymakers should also account for research, invention, and services that are being provided because of immigrants.

"To the extent you want to make a cost-benefit statement about immigration, you must also look at benefits lost if immigration was reduced."

Ran Abramitzky et al, Law-Abiding Immigrants: The Incarceration Gap Between Immigrants and the US-born, 1850–2020, National Bureau of Economic Research (2023)
https://www.nber.org/system/files/working_papers/w31440/w31440.pdf

---------------------------------------------------------------

Americans struggle to distinguish factual claims from opinions amid partisan bias
https://phys.org/news/2024-03-americans-struggle-distinguish-factual-opinions.html

How well do Americans succeed at distinguishing statements of fact from statements of opinion? The answer: Not very well at all, according to new research co-written by a team of University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign scholars.

Americans struggle to tell the difference between statements of fact and statements of opinion—a troubling trend that has grave implications for civic discourse and for navigating the torrent of political information that citizens receive every day, said Jeffery J. Mondak, a professor of political science and the James M. Benson Chair in Public Issues and Civic Leadership at Illinois.

"The capacity to differentiate between a statement of opinion and a statement of fact is vital for citizens to manage the flood of political information they receive on any given day," said Mondak, a co-author of the research and an affiliate of the Center for Social and Behavioral Science. "There's a huge amount of research on misinformation. But what we found is that, even before we get to the stage of labeling something misinformation, people often have trouble discerning the difference between statements of fact and opinion."

The study, published by the Harvard Kennedy School Misinformation Review, examined whether Americans can differentiate statements of fact (2 + 2 = 4, for example) versus statements of opinion ("Green is the most beautiful color"), with a particular focus on political statements.

Respondents were asked to categorize 12 statements about current events as statements of fact or statements of opinion. The researchers found that 45.7% of respondents performed no better than a coin flip at the task.

"What we're showing here is that people have trouble distinguishing factual claims from opinion, and if we don't have this shared sense of reality, then standard journalistic fact-checking—which is more curative than preventative—is not going to be a productive way of defanging misinformation," Mondak said. "How can you have productive discourse about issues if you're not only disagreeing on a basic set of facts, but you're also disagreeing on the more fundamental nature of what a fact itself is?"

Partisan bias played a strong role in the root cause of error, the scholars said.

"It's not merely the case that there were a lot of incorrect responses, but that many of the errors were not random," he said. "They were systematic errors because many respondents formed their answers to fit their partisan narrative. For example, the statement 'President Barack Obama was born in the U.S.' is a statement of fact that could be incorrectly redefined as a statement of opinion, depending on your partisan lens."

For citizens who are concerned about misinformation, the findings suggest not only that people are resistant to corrections of misinformation, but also that they're susceptible to manipulation, the researchers said.

"Our analyses show that the problem of misinformation includes an underappreciated dimension in that people do not just disagree on the facts, they also disagree on the more fundamental matter of what facts are," Mondak said. "The results also suggest that faulty fact-opinion differentiation can severely complicate the correction of misinformation because a consensus of 'We can agree to disagree' can emerge even for questions of indisputable fact. Well, you can't just 'Agree to disagree' that 2 + 2 = 22.

Matthew Mettler et al, Fact-opinion differentiation, Harvard Kennedy School Misinformation Review (2024)
https://misinforeview.hks.harvard.edu/article/fact-opinion-differentiation/
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 09:35:53 PM by vox_mundi »

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6729 on: March 12, 2024, 11:25:07 PM »
Immigrants found to be significantly less likely to commit crimes than the US-born

The same thing was found in Australia.

The media still highlights the evils of refugees and immigrants anyway but the per capita crime rate always has White people are being the most likely to commit crime on every level.

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6730 on: April 03, 2024, 10:50:42 PM »
Adam Klasfeld  @KlasfeldReports Mar 29   (this is the first criminal trial, all the previous have been civil)

Do you know the basic facts of Trump's upcoming NY criminal trial?

How a $130,000 payoff became $420,000 in reimbursements to produce 34 election-related felony charges

https://www.justsecurity.org/93876/trump-hush-money-charges/

Video explainer, @Just_Security 🔗

https://invidious.poast.org/watch?v=eL9X8fgnD3w

morganism

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6731 on: April 06, 2024, 08:24:28 AM »
(The short squeeze is on the Truth Social stock shares. Turns out the "borrow" rate to get short positions on the stock is gutting folks capital accts, and the bleeding looks set to continue....)

OPINION: The Yugest Grift, Part II - What Everyone Is Missing About Trump's Stock
Trading in DJT stock may resemble a Black Hole or a Mysterious Universe Far Far Away.

At this point, everyone who cares knows that DJT stock represents a worthless company. While the stock just began trading under Trump’s initials, the Truth Social website has been functioning for over a year, and its metrics remain abysmal. As a business, all vectors point to its being worth 1/10th to 1/100th of its current market valuation ($4.00 to $.40 per share) .

However, that knowledge is not sufficient grounds for entering a short position in the stock. The outrageous borrow fees tell us that the stock is “heavily over-shorted” -- that there are too many shares shorted relative to the supply of shares to be loaned out for short selling. This creates scenarios that novice and causal stock traders are not familiar with:

1) Traders intending to short the stock now are volunteering to pay these unheard-of stock loan rates, to borrow shares they expect to fall rapidly to penny stock levels. They are likely to be disappointed and lose money. Why? Because too many people have already acted on that obvious premise, but weren’t aware they were going to be paying 2% or more per day, in cash, plucked directly out of their brokerage accounts, for the privilege. As days turn to weeks, this usurious rate will eat up an unknown but large amount of their capital. Paying a 2% borrow fee daily means that if the stock falls by half in a month, (usually a screaming win for a short position), you’ll barely break even.

2) The borrow rate resets every day, and those who are short have zero price protection. Someone already short at $20, paying 20% in the months prior to the conversion of DWAC to DJT, may have taken a big paper loss when the stock spiked to $40, only to now be paying a 10x higher overnight borrow fee (which went from 20% to 200%) as the graph in our last piece showed. And they’re paying that rate on double the equity of their position. Their actual daily outlay for borrow fee is now up 20x, while their P/L on the position shows a 100% loss. This is the painful reality of life as a short seller when a position traps you.

Now the overnight fee has quadrupled again from that nosebleed level. So a lot of investors positioned short are taking daily losses. Their expectation for a tidy profit on the fall in the share price has turned to “hope”... to get out with their capital not wrecked. And the borrow fee meter tries their patience and charges them every day to wait it out.

3) The other side of the borrow fee is called a “Stock Yield Enhancement Program”. Investors are buying DJT just to be able to loan out the shares and collect 50% - 67% of borrow fees charged to the short sellers. (Example) This provides a powerful financial incentive to hold the stock, and creates conditions for short squeezes. Buyers are betting the borrow fees they earn more than compensate for the risk of the stock falling rapidly.
(more)

https://www.meidastouch.com/news/opinion-the-yugest-grift-part-ii-what-everyone-is-missing-about-trumps-stock

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 574
  • Likes Given: 96
« Reply #6732 on: April 06, 2024, 09:06:09 PM »
traders in DJT also need to consider the impact of the gamma squeeze any time a short position is opened the entity providing the option buys a small number of shares to cover. The amount of shares they buy is tied to the cost of the option. With so many people shorting and so few of the shares available (donald owns over 50% of total shares though his exact position is dependent on litigation zeroing out some of truth socials founders) the gamma squeeze is keeping the share price higher than it should be.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6733 on: April 06, 2024, 09:14:04 PM »

The media still highlights the evils of refugees and immigrants anyway but the per capita crime rate always has White people are being the most likely to commit crime on every level.
While I do not think immigrants are a major source of crime your "White people" claim is racist whether it is true or not and at the very least needs supporting research to claim.

gerontocrat

• Multi-year ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 5308
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #6734 on: April 06, 2024, 10:09:52 PM »
traders in DJT also need to consider the impact of the gamma squeeze any time a short position is opened the entity providing the option buys a small number of shares to cover. The amount of shares they buy is tied to the cost of the option. With so many people shorting and so few of the shares available (donald owns over 50% of total shares though his exact position is dependent on litigation zeroing out some of truth socials founders) the gamma squeeze is keeping the share price higher than it should be.
Truth Social?

"Never give a sucker an even break".
"Who sups with the devil should use a long spoon".
"Para a Causa do Povo a Luta Continua!"
"And that's all I'm going to say about that". Forrest Gump
"Damn, I wanted to see what happened next" (Epitaph)

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6735 on: April 07, 2024, 12:39:28 AM »

While I do not think immigrants are a major source of crime your "White people" claim is racist whether it is true or not and at the very least needs supporting research to claim.

Research that provides accuracy is difficult given the complexity, so here is an article about the topic instead. It is complex but the essence is White people commit the most crime, percentage wise and in real terms (but the news puts lots of focus on non White crime and point out the ethnicity of non white criminals but not when they are white so perceptions are massively out of balance compared to reality)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-11/melbourne-sudanese-crime-statistics-victoria/10065402

I am not sure why calling a group of people White is racist. It is a classification of a group of people much like calling a group of people Indian is classifying a lot of people from India who have darker skin and speak a non-English language.

Or calling people from China, Chinese.

Calling me out for calling a group of people White as being racist is laughable and shows how fragile White people can be.

So, labeling groups of people isn't racist.
Behaving in certain ways because of their color is racist.

So when I say that White people in Australia are one of the most likely groups of people to commit crimes, that is a correct and provable statement.

The Walrus

• Young ice
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 488
« Reply #6736 on: April 07, 2024, 01:35:01 AM »
Crime, by itself, it a rather nebulous term.  In the U.S., the murder rate by blacks is substantially higher than all other races.  However, other crimes are more equally distributed.

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6737 on: April 07, 2024, 04:28:43 AM »

Research that provides accuracy is difficult given the complexity, so here is an article about the topic instead. It is complex but the essence is White people commit the most crime, percentage wise and in real terms (but the news puts lots of focus on non White crime and point out the ethnicity of non white criminals but not when they are white so perceptions are massively out of balance compared to reality)

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-08-11/melbourne-sudanese-crime-statistics-victoria/10065402

I am not sure why calling a group of people White is racist. It is a classification of a group of people much like calling a group of people Indian is classifying a lot of people from India who have darker skin and speak a non-English language.

Calling me out for calling a group of people White as being racist is laughable and shows how fragile White people can be.

So when I say that White people in Australia are one of the most likely groups of people to commit crimes, that is a correct and provable statement.
If I said "black people..." then people would call me a racist whether the statement is true or not. I am just trying to point out that disconnect. I am not fragile just pointing out an inconsistency.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 05:56:32 AM by interstitial »

interstitial

• Young ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6738 on: April 07, 2024, 05:16:29 AM »

That last statement is a different statement than the previous statement based on population. The last statement is not shown to be true by the article you cited because they do not distinguish between white and black Australians.

your article explains that while Australians commit a greater number of crimes but Sudanese commit more crime for their portion of the population and more violent crimes for their portion of the population. Which does not really fit your claim.

Population includes those age 10 or older
Australians (which includes slightly more whites than blacks) are 61.61% of the population but commit 71.25% of the crime so  a ratio of 1.15.
Sudanese are 0.16% of the population but commit 1.07% of the crime a ratio of  6.69

So Sudanese in Australia are actually more likely to commit crimes than Australians and further more likely to commit violent crimes. Many people will consider that a racist statement.

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6739 on: April 07, 2024, 01:44:02 PM »

If I said "black people..." then people would call me a racist whether the statement is true or not. I am just trying to point out that disconnect. I am not fragile just pointing out an inconsistency.

Actually, calling a group of people Black isn't racist... but in the US, with their terrible race problems, it has become a problem and is highly tense there.

There isn't a disconnect... it is more a difference between countries and how race relations are handled.

The US has made race a "thing" far more than most other parts of the world and it is... to me anyway, weirdly tense but in an understandable way.

In short, your point probably only stands in the US but not so much in other places (that I have lived in anyway)

Rodius

• Nilas ice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6740 on: April 07, 2024, 02:01:44 PM »

That last statement is a different statement than the previous statement based on population. The last statement is not shown to be true by the article you cited because they do not distinguish between white and black Australians.

your article explains that while Australians commit a greater number of crimes but Sudanese commit more crime for their portion of the population and more violent crimes for their portion of the population. Which does not really fit your claim.

Population includes those age 10 or older
Australians (which includes slightly more whites than blacks) are 61.61% of the population but commit 71.25% of the crime so  a ratio of 1.15.
Sudanese are 0.16% of the population but commit 1.07% of the crime a ratio of  6.69

So Sudanese in Australia are actually more likely to commit crimes than Australians and further more likely to commit violent crimes. Many people will consider that a racist statement.

As I said, it is complex.

Even the term "New Zealand" is vague because many people from NZ are brown but most people consider NZers to be White in terms of stats.

And yes, Sudanese people commit more crime (if you dig deeper into the article you will see it is mostly people between 15 and 24, as in most groups).

There is nothing racist about that but in the news here, the amount of attention Sudanese people get in crime articles is much MUCH higher than the 1% of crime they commit... that is racist.

What the stats tend to ignore with this issue with this small group of people is why their youth are more likely to commit crime that other groups... which shouldn't be rocket science given many of them have only just arrived in Australia from a war torn part of the world. So rather than vilify them in the news, maybe provide the support they clearly need.

To clarify myself.... racism is not the name of the group of people involved (Indian, English, Sudanese, Black, White etc) as a descriptor, but how the groups are treated differently in the community because of the differences.

Being a White man who has been accused of every evil under the sun by certain radical women (I homeschool my kids which tends to put in the more radical types of people who are vocal about their distaste for men at times) and I am accused of abusing my white man privilege.

My answer to these people is rather simple and they find it difficult to refute.... I have no control over my privilege other than not accepting it or being aware of it and acting accordingly. Society gives it to me. I agree it is wrong, but blaming the people who are given the privilege doesn't change a thing because it is society that does it, not the people receiving it.

This is the same for Sudanese people in Australia... they are vilified a lot here and society acts accordingly because they are portrayed as bad people. Both white male privilege and Sudanese vilification are racism and neither group, at an individual level, controls that.

Calling a person White or Black is not racism, it is the definition of a group.
How people treat those groups is racism, regardless of whether it is positive or negative.